Is it the board or my browser that's gotten more user-friendly?

In the old days it seemed like it was easier to hand code things like bold, italics, quotes, etc.

At some point, we got the nice buttons above the reply box which allowed you to click on what you want, type it in the resulting “type what you want here” box, and voila, it was formatted. But what you applied a style to was always inserted at the end of your post. It was still a pain if you’d already typed out what you want and decided something back in the middle of the last paragraph could use some formatting. You had to hand code it. I always thought “wouldn’t it be nice if I could just highlight what I want and click on the style and have the codes wrap it?”

Well I noticed we can do that now. When did this start?

Did the boards get subtly upgraded, or was it my upgrade to the latest version of OS X & Safari?

It’s the same version of the board we’ve had for qutie some time, so I would tend to think your updated browser is making you happy.

I never knew the bold italics & underline buttons had a “type what you want here” box!
Gotta wonder what other tricks vBulletin 3.0.7 has that it ain’t tellin’ us about.

CMC fnord!
I’m using Firefox.

Really? When you click on the big “B” button, a window doesn’t pop up saying “Enter the text to be formatted” then you type what you want, for instance, “bold this part of my sentence,” click OK, and it comes out bold this part of my sentence?

No, it pops up, I didn’t know it did that til you mentioned it. I’ve always highlighted and clicked the button.
(Actually I don’t even do that much anymore Firefox has a couple of extensions that let you do everything from the right click menu BBCode & BBCodeXtra (I did all this coding with it!)

CMC fnord!
Even lets me right click my sig!

levdrakon, there’s another cool thing you can do with OS X. If you type something, highlight it, and hit Ctrl+B or Ctrl+I, you can make something bold or italic with keystrokes. Works for underline (Ctrl+U) too. (I haven’t found the keystrokes for [del]delete[/del] yet though.)

Cool! Thanks for posting this.

GT

That is way cool! It’ll take me a little practice, but I can totally see using that.

By “with OSX”, do you mean “with Safari”? Because my Firefox in OSX does no such thing. Then again, I may have the opposite problem: I often find myself typing ** and * in e-mails.

What do you mean by “no such thing?” I just formatted that using the ctrl+i and ctrl+b trick we just learned, and I’m doing it with Firefox. Normally I use Safari though and yes, that’s what I meant by OS X. I’m using OS 10.4.6, and Safari 2.0.3 At this very moment I’m using Firefox 1.5.0.3.

Well that’s weird. On preview, still using Firefox, the formatting trick only seems to work on a single word, but not a phrase.

Test.

"Test."
Testity test, test test.**

"Testity test, test test."

Hm. That all comes out bolded using ctrl+b. But what I’m seeing is the phrase “no such thing” with an * in front of it, it’s not formatted with italics, and in the reply window it looks coded properly with both the opening & closing italics tags. I tried to bold the word “formatted” in my first paragraph and it’s showing up with a ** in front of it, but it also has an opening & closing tag in the reply window. Where are my closing vB codes going?

Bold this. Italicise this.

Wow, that’s totally screwed up using Firefox. I’m going to have to come back using Safari and play around.

Now I’m using Safari.

I’m going to ctrl+b this.

I’m going to ctrl+i this.

Now I’m going to click the “B” button.

Now I’m going to click the “I” button.

Everything seems to work fine using Safari. From what I can see, it’s Firefox that hates this board. :frowning:

Welcome. I found it when I was playing around with key combos.

Chronos, I meant OS X, but I guess levdrakon’s experiment means that it only works consistently in Safari. I use Safari 95% of the time, so I didn’t know it didn’t work well in Firefox.

I just tested it out in other applications and it doesn’t seem to work in anything but a browser text-entry box. I also can’t seem to find any documentation for these commands, at Apple or elsewhere. I can’t be the first person to have noticed this, but I’ll be damned if I can find anyone else who has mentioned it online.

Since a couple of people found that cool, I should mention that if you go to the Keyboard and Mouse preference setting pane and choose the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, click on the + sign at the bottom left and you can set keyboard shortcuts for individual apps.

Welcome. I found it when I was playing around with key combos.

Chronos, I meant OS X, but I guess levdrakon’s experiment means that it only works consistently in Safari. I use Safari 95% of the time, so I didn’t know it didn’t work well in Firefox.

I just tested it out in other applications and it doesn’t seem to work in anything but a browser text-entry box. I also can’t seem to find any documentation for these commands, at Apple or elsewhere. I can’t be the first person to have noticed this, but I’ll be damned if I can find anyone else who has mentioned it online.

Since a couple of people found that cool, I should mention that if you go to the Keyboard and Mouse preference setting pane and choose the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, click on the + sign at the bottom left and you can set keyboard shortcuts for individual apps.