When you summon a demon, should you stand inside or outside the pentacle?

I’ve seen 16th-Century woodcuts of wizards conjuring up demons, and the wizard stands inside a magic circle for protection. as the demon rises from the ground outside the circle. But in most modern magic-fantasy stories, the wizards stands outside the circle and the demon is imprisoned within it.

What’s the right way? I mean, it’s not something you wanna screw up.

You go inside the pentacle. It’s basically a “safe zone” that minions of Satan can’t enter.

Although you may want to wear eye protection, as well. There’s no such thing as too much precaution.

Add a raincoat to that thought.

I would think it would depend on why you’re summoning the demon. If you just want information, conjure it inside the circle to restrict its movements. If you want it to, say, smite one or more of your enemies, you stand in the circle and conjure the demon outside it. Wouldn’t make a lot of sense to conjure you up a smitin’ demon and stick it inside the circle.

I’d REALLY recommend not summoning any demons until you have the whole procedure down. Seriously, it would be bad.

I’m not a big fan of Enochian, and standard Solomon-type High Magick annoys me, but between the two disciplines you could probably get a good start.

Remember to always go to the bathroom before entering the circle. You never know how long this dubious demon smiting business can take.

Bring some Krispy Kremes too.

The term for this is evocation–which is different from invocation. The magician stands inside the circle, which serves as protection, for all magical operations. For evocation of a spirit (any sort of spirit, demon or not), a triangular shape is prepared for it to manifest in just outside the circle. Invocation is all done inside the circle with no external manifestations.

And maybe a box of condoms in case you get a sexy demon.

Having fantasies of the three of you nekkid inside a pentacle save for eye protection and raincoats.

OK, it’s more of a snorkfest than a fantasy.

Well, Willow and Anya ended up with the crazy John Goodman from behind the Magic Shoppe counter. I didn’t see ANY circle involved.

d & r

Ok, so what we have so far is…

[ul]
[li]Eye protection[/li][li]A raincoat[/li][li]Empty bladder[/li][li]Krispy Kremes[/li][li]Box of condoms[/li][/ul]

oh… and a towel, too. Anything else?

It never hurts to have the appropriate Fodor’s on hand.

Head protection?

yeah your robe and wizard hat

That wasn’t John Goodman. I don’t remember his name, but he plays the desk guy on E.R.

“Bar maid! Bring me stronger ale! And some plump, succulent babies to eat!”

It’s Koob! I think I saw all of 2 episodes of Parker Lewis Can’t Lose, but I always think of that actor as Koob.

And Anya and Willow’s performance should not be taken as an example–they got smashed up pretty good. Just goes to show you that a nice pentagram might have helped them out.

I seem to recall a line in The Tempest, something about “Weave a circle 'round me thrice”, but I can’t seem to find it. Perhaps another Doper knows the line I’m thinking of? In context, it might prove instructive here.