The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-02-2006, 04:10 PM

Enlarging text size in browser (getting old, alas)

(Yes, getting old. And I spend many, many hours staring at computer screens, and my eyes get tired.)

At work my computer runs linux, and my browser is Mozilla. When I have trouble making out the text on a web page I just click on 'view' and pick a degree of zoom. It works, other than text lines running over areas it shouldn't.

Here at home I have WinXPHome, and use IE6.0. Under 'view' there is a 'text size' option that runs in five steps from 'largest' to 'smallest'.

The thing is, I've just tried each and every setting on this website (and one other) and there is not the least change in how large the text appears.

What an I doing wrong? If this is universally broken in 6.0, is it fixed in the new version?
Advertisements  
Old 12-02-2006, 04:12 PM

Okay, and I just tried it on a third page, where it works properly.

So why doesn't it work HERE? This is the site I actually read the most....
Old 12-02-2006, 04:17 PM

If you have a mouse with a wheel, and don't mind switching to Firefox, you can hold down your Ctrl key and adjust the font size with the wheel. Works fine on this MB.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:20 PM

I've just checked that the same thing works on IE7. Sorry, but I've not got IE6 installed.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

The reason it won't work for some web pages is that they restrict how the display can be displayed. Basic HTML text size can be controlled by the person viewing the text, but other text is locked into a specific size.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan
I've just checked that the same thing works on IE7. Sorry, but I've not got IE6 installed.

Well, I just tried control+wheel: it works on the page where the 'view' options works, and doesn't on the other pages. Including this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
The reason it won't work for some web pages is that they restrict how the display can be displayed. Basic HTML text size can be controlled by the person viewing the text, but other text is locked into a specific size.
Dang. That must be it. So...why do they do it? Are they out to drive away (getting on towards) Senior Citizens? Or is just overall control-freak-ishness?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong
Well, I just tried control+wheel: it works on the page where the 'view' options works, and doesn't on the other pages. Including this one.

Dang. That must be it. So...why do they do it? Are they out to drive away (getting on towards) Senior Citizens? Or is just overall control-freak-ishness?
It's just not thinking of the need, generally. However, Firefox 2.0 and IE7 both work on this page, at least in my configuration.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
Isn't there an issue with IE6 where fonts sizes are defined in pixels? I've a dim memory of this. Anyway, I'm pretty sure IE7 corrects this.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:15 PM

I use IE6 and if I click on Tools, Internet Options..., and Accessibility... on the General tab and put a check in the box by "Ignore font sizes specified on Web pages" then I can adjust the font size to suit.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:00 PM

Try selecting a bit of text then doing the scroll wheel thing. Incidentally, ctrl + also works.

When you do ctrl scroll wheel, do the icons get larger/smaller?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Ice
I use IE6 and if I click on Tools, Internet Options..., and Accessibility... on the General tab and put a check in the box by "Ignore font sizes specified on Web pages" then I can adjust the font size to suit.

And we have a winner!

My aching eyes thank you muchly!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany Zeolite Zipper
Try selecting a bit of text then doing the scroll wheel thing. Incidentally, ctrl + also works.

When you do ctrl scroll wheel, do the icons get larger/smaller?
With the accessibility text size box checked, all the versions (view, control+, control+wheel) work fine.

As for the icons, which? The emoticons don't seem to change size, neither do the icons in the IE tool bars.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:48 PM

I've noticed that sometimes when you load the SD pages, and try to increase the size, only the "Fighting Ignorance", the Post Replys, and the Online LEDs change size
Old 12-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are several ways to create text size in HTML, with most of them locking into a defined text size with a crappy browser such as IE.

Ideally, if font size on a page uses percentages and/or ems, the text size will change according to browser preferences.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
It's lazy coding by the web page designer, who probably doesn't even realize that it's a problem. There are two ways to specify the size of text. The first, and most obvious, is to specify and exact font size. When they do this, your browser will do exactly as the page says and use that font size. The second way, and the correct one, is to tell the browser to use a size relative to the normal size. For example, they can tell the browser is use a size one bigger than the normal size. This lets you choose what the "normal" size is and have everything display properly and legibly.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
And we have a winner!

You're welcome SBS.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 PM

Since the thread title is browser generic, Opra fan checking in. In Opera, the + and - characters zoom in and out unless you are in a text entry box. Seems to work fine on all web pages using default settings.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
At work my computer runs linux, and my browser is Mozilla.
Here at home I have WinXPHome, and use IE6.0.
Now that your basic question has been answered, can I ask why in the world you would do this?

Why not put Mozilla/Firefox on your home machine, and use the same browser all the time?
Old 12-03-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
And we have a winner!

OH MAN, I had the same problem. And I just switched over to Yahoo and the same option is available with their software. MAJOR improvement. Always wondered why some pages were locked out from scroll sizing. Didn't know you could override it. Kudo's to Thin Ice for the suggestion.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net
Now that your basic question has been answered, can I ask why in the world you would do this?

Why not put Mozilla/Firefox on your home machine, and use the same browser all the time?

Well, I tried Firefox a few years ago, and it seemed I was always having to fire up IE instead for some of the pages I visit all the time. So...I just went back to IE as being simpler.

As for Mozilla, uh, I thought it was linux only. Maybe I should look into that.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Well, I tried Firefox a few years ago, and it seemed I was always having to fire up IE instead for some of the pages I visit all the time. So...I just went back to IE as being simpler.

As for Mozilla, uh, I thought it was linux only. Maybe I should look into that.
Yeah, I'd suggest checking it out again.

Firefox (the current browser part of Mozilla) is available for Linux, Windows, & Mac's. (And pretty much the same version for each.)

The latest version (Firefox 2.0) is much better at rendering web pages. Partly because it's gotten better, and partly because webpage designers have gotten much smarter about avoiding code that only works in IE. I seldom find pages like that any more. When I do, I generally go elsewhere to some page that has better quality web designers. I only have one site that I have to use, that only works with IE.