Ugly Betty gets UGLY (Jan. 11)

Jiminy Crickets, I love this show. Great writing, great acting, even the costume and set design is above par.

Poor Daniel . . . Poor Wili . . . Yay Amanda . . . But I must say, I spent about 20 years in the mag-biz, mostly at high-glam fashion mags (there have been a few Betty subplots that were directly lifted from things that happened at one of my workplaces), and Sofia’s plot (no spoilers) would not have gone over. There would have been mass resignations, huge backlash from readers, advertiser boycotts.

I’m torn. Wili was finally getting more human. But I have to admit that when she showed up in the elevator, once again the Ice Queen, I almost shouted, “She’s baaaaaaaack!”

And I cheered for Amanda, too.

By the way, the actress who plays Amanda also played “Bizarro-Betty” at MWY, or MWA, or whatever the hell Sophia’s magazine is called.

No freaking way. Amanda was alt-Betty at MWY? Emmy to the makeup department, stat!

Excellent episode, and not just because of the hot semi-nude strippers. The payoff on [del]that horrid bitch[/del] Sophia’s cover story was deleted a bit by the early reveal but it was still heart-breaking.

I called the “INS worker will crush out on Ignacio” bit but it might be entertaining.

Loved Willie in this ep. The breakup with [del]Sam Wall[/del] the Texan guy was a bity abrupt but her “ice queen to mellow to ce Queen” was awesome. She’s hurting so much and i love that she’s a charatcer with some complexity and not just a cartoon villain.

Speaking of cartoon villains who aren’t, Amanda is my favorite character on this show. She is such a wonderful mix of shallow and deep. Betty’s a sweetie but I’m just as happy to consider this The Amanda Show. The actress who plays Amanda deserves an Emmy nomination.

Make that “diluted a bit.”

Same actress? Really? Brilliant! Now I wish I hadn’t already deleted this episode from the DVR.

I take back everything I said or though about the Sofia-Daniel story line. I hated it – it seemed so phony and forced. Now it all makes sense. And I hope we’ve seen the end of Sofia.

I can’t begin to imagine what’s behind the Mysterious Masked Woman. Can’t even speculate. I want to fit the dead brother in there somehow though.

Really? Very cool! I would have never known.

I missed most of the episode because I was busy doing other things, but the scenes in Boylesque had me howling. I am defintely going to be watching this one again tomorrow.

I’ve been trying to match an actress to the voice and tonight i thought Diana Scarwid (adult Christina in Mommie Dearest, the mother on Wonderfalls). I love her and hope it’s true.

Sorry but the role is not hers. Here is who they cast.

Oh that’s just swell. God forbid they should cast someone who can act. I mean, not like i was heart-set on Diana Scarwid but someone who doesn’t suck in the role is really not that much to ask for.

Thank you for reminding me of this. . .I thought it was true, but wanted to look it up on IMDB. Glad to see I wasn’t the only one who caught it.

I knew the job at MYW was going to be temporary. None of the people who worked there other than Sophia had any depth at all. They were almost agressively two-dimensional. All of the Mode people had some depth from the very beginning.

I have the hideous suspicion that “M.M.W./Anna Wintour” will turn out the be the “dead brother.” I hope I’m wrong.

Holy shit! I never would have caught that! I kept trying to place her, and just couldn’t. That’s wild. I love her - aside from Justin and Betty, I think she’s my favorite character on this show - all three are so much fun to watch. Marc comes in a close fourth, though, if only for his facial expressions.

I’m only halfway through (but too impatient to wait for the rest, so I came in here to be spoiled), so I take it things end badly for Daniel and Sofia? :frowning: Damn.

Well, I guess Salma Hayek can go back to being the lead in those telenovelas.

E.

I wish I had paid more attention to this episode, but I came in 30 minutes late after trying to catch up on the latest episde of Top Chef (which, of course, I missed part of as well). The whole Sophia/Daniel thing makes sense, and I’ll agree with Eve that this kind of behavior, although possible/probable within magazine publishing corporations, is not the kind of behavior that would get rewarded… hence why I sympathize with Mr. Meade (senior) on wanting to fire Sophia and possibly scrap the magazine altogether.

As for characters, I enjoy Betty, Justin, and Amanda’s roles greatly, as I can relate to each of them in some facet of my personality. I’m rather glad that this appears to be a return of Betty to Mode Magazine, as I feel there was a lot more room for conflict/drama within that magazine. Wilhelmina is becoming more interesting as well, especially with the brief dive into romance with the Texan.

Mark’s little scream when he saw the armadillo killed me. One of my IRL friends is as crazy over-dramatic as Mark and that’s exactly how he would have reacted. Also, when Wili told him to get that Steve guy back on the phone, his little scurry-off was perfect.

Also, I LOLed for real when the elevator doors closed on Amanda’s purse cocked back and ready to strike.

This was an excellent way for them to remove Sophia from the picture and put Betty back at Mode. Well done.

If you have a decent connection, ABC.com makes the full episodes available online for free. The entire season to date is up now.

I have watched them before, and I’ll probably try to catch up sometime this weekend.

I immediately noticed that the new geeky girl was the same girl who played Amanda. Thought it was a clever idea. It also set me up for the twist ending because I figured that Betty would be spending a lot of time in the new place since they introduced a new geeky girl. I imagined they’d become bitter rivals…

Anywho, I really enjoyed the episode.

When we saw the new geeky girl I squealed, “It’s Amanda in drag!”

It didn’t make a lick of sense, but my husband knew what I meant, so it worked.

This show just makes me happy, even when it’s sad. Now I want more Henry (that’s the name of geeky accountant boy, isn’t it?)