What's the fucking deal with the colors in IE7?

Google gives me almost a half-million hits about this, but so far, nobody’s put up a white paper or anything explaining what to do about it. Well, strike that. Somebody put up a work-around. As a longtime developer with Microsoft Visual Studio products and their ancestors, I’m sick to death of fucking work-arounds. My concern is that this is just the lastest goddamned feature-not-a-bug that is going to force developers to revamp whole fucking sites.

And yes, I know we should have used our perfect little style sheets with their perfect little global elements that all our perfect little pages in all our perfect little folders would perfectly conform to. But shit. They’re called “cascading” for a reason, and we took advantage of that. Thank god we long ago wrote a script specifically for global S&R operations like this, but even that is only a first step in the process of testing and tweaking massive changes.

But what makes this FNAB (feature-not-a-bug) so insidious is that if you solve it one way, it reverses it in the other! Gah! I mean god fucking damnit! The only way to solve it that I can find is to tell the browser that it’s a color that it isn’t. IT IS NOT EFEFEF BY GOD; IT’S F0F0F0! And what effect lying to the browser will have on Firefox and all those other browsers is unclear. Won’t they render the actual fucking color?

Jesus, I’m pissed about this.

Detect and relay to a separate folder that is IE specific?

IE 7 specific. It’s tied somehow, apparently, to the new version’s PNG transparency issues.

For those of us who haven’t experienced this, can you clarify some please? Is it displaying the colors incorrectly, or not at all, or what? I haven’t yet updated to IE7 permanently. I got one look at how ugly it was, and then read about the bugs, and I’ve yet to see that the issues are resolved so I haven’t applied the update yet.

Suppose you put up a graphic that’s bordered by an off-white square, color: #f0f0f0. Then, suppose you set the background color of your page to match the graphic so that there will be no seam between the page and the square’s border. But alas, there will be. On some machines (but not all). The page will be the color you told it to be, but the graphic will be a slight shade darker: #efefef. The formerly seamless blend now looks like a cheap GIF. So you tell the browser to use #efefef so it will match the distorted image. But the machines that rendered it right the first time are now fucked up.

Ok, so basically now the colors that display are rather like the various store brands sizing charts? (They may be very, very different from one store to the next, and you never can tell offhand if one store’s six is the other’s four or eight?) :confused: :eek: Sheesh… How on Earth did they fuck that up?!

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. It’s so new that there’s no white paper yet. I’m checking Google every day. But sometime over the next few days, we’re going to have to decide whether to change our sites and how to proceed from here forward.

I had this problem with a Mac browser (Safari? Camino? Prolly Safari.) The only solution that worked across all platforms was to revert to using “web-safe” colors.

Yay. It’s 1994 all over again but with lower pay. Whee.

[hijack]There’s a joke in there somewhere, with white papers and yellow journals and brown bullshit, and how the three relate to each other following a release schedule, but my brain is too addled to come up with one right now.[/hijack]

This used to be the standard way Netscape worked back in 1997. Hence the “web safe colours” concept, which thankfully has gone away (though I often still use them, for the convenience of the harmonious palette). Seems like IE7 has brought that back. How nice.

Not intending to hijack.

I’m not skillful at restoring old versions and my work computer automatically updated me to IE7. Now I’m having a number of problems, and my Google is screwed up. How (in non-technical language), do I get rid of 7 and get 6 back?

Thanks.

I would install Firefox. And I don’t say that as a fanboy; I’m just not sure that it is technically feasible (or even possible) to revert to IE6. At any rate, the problem would be solved in 30 seconds.

It is too possible, I did so myself as I said. Here, Shoshana, read this and follow the directions. :wink: