Finish the "Star Trek" story: Discussion/control thread

Similar to the earlier SDMB “Raking Broadsides” Napoleonic naval adventure threads, I’m considering starting a ST participatory story-writing thread. Before I do so, though, I want gauge Doper interest, and preferences for the thread.

1. Would you be interested in participating?
  2. If so, would you prefer a thread set in the era/milieu of Archer, Kirk, Picard, Sisko or Janeway?
  3. Would you be more interested in a story set aboard the Enterprise, DS9 or Voyager, or another Starfleet vessel or facility?

Please respond by 10pm EST a week from tonight, Sun. Jan. 28, after which time I’ll start a story consistent with the majority vote on the above criteria. If there’s a tie on any of them, I’ll break the tie. It’s my hope that this will be a chance for fun, genuinely interesting, and engaging ST writing. If you don’t like ST, fair enough, that’s your call - but don’t spoil our party, please. After the story is started, we’ll use that new thread for storytelling, and this thread on an ongoing basis for discussion, Q&A, etc.

I’ll answer any questions in the next week as I read them. Thanks!

Please, not Voyager or Enterprise. I’d like any of the other three, in this order, TNG, DS9, TOS.

I’d love to participate.

Thanks, Baker! And as to question 3?

I know nothing about Enterprise–never could seem to get into it, but might try again when they start running the show on SciFi. Think I’d prefer a new ship/facillity as the setting. Would be interested in giving it a try, but need more details about what would be expected from participants…

May as well go with the Enterprise-D. At least everyone will (or should) know how to spell the characters’ names right.

Or screw it and get started on Chapter One of Captain Sulu of the Excelsior.

As in the “Raking Broadsides” (and, I just noticed, the sci-fi story) threads, you’d simply be expected to move the story forward from the preceding post. Write as much or as little as you want, as often as you want, about already-introduced characters or new ones that come to mind. Do your best to have fun, write entertainingly, and maintain continuity (ST generally, and in-thread more particularly). Hope you’ll decide to join us!

I’d like to participate. I’d love to get in early on one of these.
either TOS or TNG works for me.
A new ship/starbase with new characters would be fun, but with working in the characters we all already know from time to time would work, too.

I think the idea Bryan Eker mentioned, with Capt Sulu and the Excelsior, would be great. It would combine characters and a setting we know something about, plus opening things up to new characters and situations.

The reason I don’t want to do Enterprise is that I never watched it and don’t know it at all. But I’ll go along with the majority.

For a look at the very first “Finish the…” story, here’s a link. ivylass began it, and it set the pattern for the others, the sci-fi stories and the wooden navy story. Both the sci-fi and the westerns had sequels as well.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=174740&highlight=Finish+Western

I think that Baker and I can feel a quiet pride over being cited here, given that there were two or three other cooperative-story threads before ours. And I especially considering that the first time I tried to start that story, it… um… sank without a trace.

I’d prefer TOS, TNG or the out-of-left-field Captain Sulu idea.

I’d like to be in.
Sisko, DS9 or the Defiant get my vote.
Thanks!

I would make a go at it with TOS, original crew, NCC-1701. When the crew was still young. Maybe their final official cruise of the 5 year mission?

Please, no Holodecks!

Tossing out a few ideas:

1. A peace mission to the Gorns where the crew ends up aiding them against a new foe?

2. Yet another meeting with Harry Mudd?

3. Classic Time travel plot device to current times?

4. Follow-up to a Piece of the Action, always intrigue me?

Jim

I thought about writing a fanfic about this, set on DS9, with Iotians wandering around, wearing Kirk-era uniforms and generally acting like dorks.

It was going to be an oh-so-subtle commentary on fandom. :smiley:

Anyhoo, if we end up going with Sulu of the Excelsior, I’d like to see a serious effort made to explain why the Klingon Empire didn’t completely collapse after Praxis.

oooh! I like the Harry Mudd idea! Perhaps he’s got some Ferengis working for him now - and he’s mostly bionic

Ferengi are cool, time travel is bad.
^ :dubious: ^

Certainly not in a TOS story. They can be useful elsewhere if kept reasonable, see the third and fourth Sci-Fi story threads for examples.

I’d vote for no holodeck or time travel plots.

Well, strictly speaking, the first holodeck-gone-mad story was the TOS-era animated-series episode The Practical Joker.

That’s TAS-era (maybe you could use that new fangled edit button-thingy they have 'round hyar. But I would get to comfortable with it. Too much like Barclay living in the holodeck all the time. But, I digress…)

I fizzled out on the Sci-Fi story currently twitching, but I would like to give this a go. 1) Yes, 2) Picard-era or Sulu-era, 3) another (e.g. Excelsior).

No time travel! No reset buttons!! No Q! No Organians! Basically, nothing where, in the end, it didn’t matter if we had an adventure because it all gets overwritten.

If we get a get into an ?-era then I would request a little backstory when an established character or facility is mentioned. E.g. “Gul Ducat whispers to Odo, 'You wouldn’t catch me making a slip like that.” Odo nonchalantly replies, ‘I’d catch you.’" Such an exchange gives no new writer (frankly, even me) any context to riff off of.

The Praxis thing is intriguing, but I’ll have to brush up on the details. Some bring up Section 31 and it’s possibilities, but If I told you who they are I’d have to kill you. I would like it able to involve more than one species. I.e. I don’t want to get stuck just with Klingons, or just with hoo-mans, etc.

I have a feeling that one’s about to come to a climax.

Lucky one! [sup]{lascivious snicker}[/sup]