Finish the "Star Trek" story: Discussion/control thread

I’d argue that it’s the same era, but no matter.

IIRC, TAS premiered in the early 70s, several years after TOS was cancelled.

As long as Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver get to play the leads, I’ll be happy.

So? The two series are set in the same period, with (mostly) the same cast and several TAS episodes are direct sequels to TOS episodes. As far as I know, the events in TAS occur during the original “five-year mission.” If they represent a different “era”, I’m not sure where the line of demarcation is.

or Tim Curry and Kerri Weaver [sub]no don’t try to make sense of it. It’s 2am and I had to clean up the glass bowl the cat knocked over so sense is the least that can be made of it…[/sub]

Actually, Brian Ekers, the TOS vs. TAS thing was just a joke related to our new found SDMB editing functions.

For purposes of voting by prospective writers in this thread, TOS and TAS are the same. I asked in the OP about Kirk’s era, and he was captain in both series.

Which I, for one, welcome.

So, halfway to Sunday’s voting deadline, here’s where things stand, by my count (multiple preferences, where expressed, are reflected):

Interested: 8 Dopers

Era:
Archer - 0
Kirk - 4
Sulu/Excelsior - 4
Picard - 5
Sisko - 2
Janeway - 0

Set on a ship or station from a show: 1
Set on a new ship or station: 2

If you know of any other Dopers who might be interested, please pass the word. I’m already mulling over a few story ideas. This is gonna be fun!

In 2363, Admiral McCoy is briefly aboard the recently-commissioned USS Enterprise-D walking down the corridor with Data. Therefore the era could be set between Sulu and Picard and have quite a bit of versatility. It would have none of the discoveries made during Picard’s-era but could have all of its characters in their previous lives.

But, while we all enjoy dropping in Star Trek trivia (and I wanna too) I would suggest we limit it - e.g. let’s not end up meeting every Klingon, TOS-era character, TNG-era character, Seh’lat, tribble, Melkot, Gorn, spican-flame-gem, kievas, and trilliam, we can posibly think of in our three-hour tour.

I konw I’ve already “voted” but I just want to say again…

Excelsior! Excelsior! Rah, rah, rah!!!

“Sir, she’ll fly apart!”
“Fly her apart, then! I own my life to those men a dozen times over!”
^ :dubious: ^

Thanks, everybody, for your votes. Voting is now concluded. As set forth in the OP and consistent with the majority vote, the story will be set during Picard’s time but on another ship. I have a good idea of how it’ll start, and hope to post it in the next few days. Keep your eyes peeled for “Star Trek: The Pelleri Conundrum.”

Bummer, I just missed the cut-off. Can I still participate in the thread? I’m a Star-Trek fan but I haven’t ever seen Enterprise and don’t know the original series as much as I do the later ones.

H&R I’m sure you can participate. The “voting” was just to see who was interested in what sort of storylines. It’s now going to be Picard era, but as long as you know that era you should be fine.

I didn’t want Enterprise either, as I never watched it!

I’d like to suggest putting a link to the new thread here.

Certainly! All are welcome, whether or not you voted earlier.

Excellent idea. I’d planned to.

The story has begun; hope you like it. Go to: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=8208006#post8208006

The Rules:

1. Have fun.

2. Respect the continuity of previous posts, and of ST generally.

3. If you don’t like ST, at least let us have fun with it. Trolls and jerks will be reported to the mods.

4. Don’t kill any character you didn’t personally create.

5. Move the story forward, however incrementally, from the previous post.

6. Only ST televised episodes and movies are canon for purposes of this thread. ST:TAS, ENT and STV:TFF are not, except to the limited extent that you specifically - and non-gratuitously - make them so.

7. Don’t post twice in a row; let someone else write an intervening chapter.

8. I may introduce additional rules, as needed.

9. Please do your best to ensure correct spelling and grammar.

10. Use ST in-jokes and cross-references to already-established characters, planets, incidents, etc. sparingly.

11. Other than agreeing for it to appear in the story thread, you retain copyright to your submitted material.

Best wishes to you all.

Are there any particular plot ideas we need to follow? Any indications what you plan to have in the air lock, for example?

No, I purposefully left it open-ended. Make of it what you will!