SDMB Fantasy Baseball 2007

It’s almost that time of year again! Yahoo signups open in about a week.

We had an 18-team league last year, which was about right.

Nominations for commish are welcomed, because I’d really rather not do it (especially when I end up on the receiving end of one of those trades everyone seems to complain about.)

Someone should come up with a witty league name too. Suggestions involving David Eckstein’s grit and hustle could be good.

The Cougars are in for 2007.

Count me in – it’d be a shame to break my streak now.

I could probably take on the commish thing again if no one else volunteers. I begged off the last couple of years as I really couldn’t count on being able to keep up with it given my travel schedule, but things have eased up a bit on that front. I’d still rather someone else deal with it, though.

As the Texas Rangers of this league I will again step on up for a lesson.

You know it.

Glad to see the regulars are starting to trickle in.

Anyone got contact info for Winnowill, White Lightning and some of the other unregistered players?

If you’ve room, I’d like to give it a try.

I’m in!

Yes! :smiley:

I’m in. One of these days I’m going to do half-decent in a SDMB fantasy league, 10th last year wasn’t too bad.

Well, I’ve been counting the days, myself… I see they’ve just announced the kickoff date as the 15th.

I’m back in for sure. I was commissioner last year, am OK with doing it again but am OK with not, if someone else wants a try.

I’m a real fan of the format we’ve used the last two years, for those not familiar:
Roto format, 1300 IP limit.
Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL.
Categories: R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP.

The big differences from regular Yahoo settings are a couple more batting positions and the separate LF/CF/RF; using OBP and SLG instead of AVG; and adding Holds.

I’ve got what should be good contact info for the two former members you mentioned (plus Munch), brianjedi - I’ve been in another league with them the last few years. I’ll drop them a note as we get closer to the launch date.

Last year’s discussion thread.
Last year’s draft recap thread.

I’m going to start the haggling over stats now: I vote for bumping the innings cap back up to 1350 IP. We went with 1300 last year, 1350 two years ago and 1250 the year before that (which was too low.)

Otherwise, I’m good with the 6x6 format we used last year. Actually, I’m good with any format as long as it doesn’t include using batter’s Ks like we did in 2005.

Here’s the list so far:

brianjedi
rackensack
Omni
Jimmy Chitwood
D_Odds
RickJay
Kiros
Kid_A
Wilson

So there’s half the league right there, and we’ve still got the “Outsiders” to include. Looks like we’re off to a good start.

Did somebody say fantasy baseball?
Count the “Roid Boys” in.

I’m in. I promise I’ll show up to the fucking draft this time, not like our basketball league.

Gah.

Count me in!

Can someone explain the Hold category to me.

Well I can give it a try… Wikipedia’s definition is as a good a one as I could find. Basically a hold is whenever a relief pitcher enters the game in a save sitution and leaves without having relinquished the lead (and having gotten an out).

Holds obviously give a way to reward setup and middle releivers, who are generally ignored in fantasy baseball. Since this league tends to get quite deep, having another category of player that is worth drafting makes it better in my opinion.

Hmm… I was going to say that Holds are more common than Saves, but I can’t find a team stat for Holds to back that up. It seems to make sense to me that they would be, since it’s quite possible to have more than one hold in a game.
However, even in fantasy leagues like ours last year, Holds are less common than Saves, mainly IMO because they are far less concentrated. The MLB leaders in saves last year were Scott Linebrink with 36, Scot Shields with 31, and Joel Zumaya with 30. Only five other pitchers had more than 25. That’s obviously a lot different from Saves leaders.

I am in!
When abouts might the draft be?

Just to clarify, you meant leaders in Holds, right?

Your statement about holds being more distributed is pretty much spot on. Last year 83 different pitchers had ten or more holds; only 33 pitchers had ten or more saves.