Alpaca, And Camel, And Musk Ox, And Yak, And Algae! Oh My! – A Fibrous MMP

Stitches West is held the last weekend in February in Santa Clara, CA every year. It’s a chance for knitters, crocheters, spinners, weavers, and other fiber artists to get together and salivate over new yarns, new patterns, and new fibers, meet old and new friends, and take classes to expand their skills. The truly dedicated can stay in class from Thursday afternoon to all day on Sunday. But mostly, they come to feed their fiber addiction shop. From laceweight to rug yarn to unspun roving, from delicate silks to sturdy Irish wool to super-soft qiviut (musk ox yarn), from undyed alpaca to rayon in every color of the rainbow, whatever your pleasure, you’ll find it. You’ll also find all the yarn you didn’t know you were looking for. Just like Las Vegas, people have various strategies to prevent spending the mortgage. Take cash, leave the credit cards and checks at home, and when the cash is gone, you’re through shopping is the most popular. The other method is to hell with the mortgage, I’m buying whatever I want. You’re a lot less likely to end up with a fiber hangover with the first method, though.

I signed up for classes as soon as they opened up. Registration sells out for some of the “rock star” teachers as if they actually were rock stars, which is to say, within minutes. I got into my first choices, Fine Finishing with Nancie Wiseman and Short Row Bust Darts with Lily Chin. Finishing is often the knitter’s bane, which is why so many of us have assorted sleeves and fronts and backs hiding out in the back of the closet. Or Frankenknits, pushed even farther back in the closet. After 6 hours of practicing various finishing techniques on Friday, I can honestly say that I understand how to finish most garments.

Sunday was for placing bust darts in your knitting. This was actually fun, and we took lots of measurements (no one was brave enough to get down to their skivvies, though). We learned how to use graph paper to plan a sweater – no math required, just count the squares! (Knitters are oddly math-phobic, considering just how much math is involved in knitting.) I feel a lot more confident about modifying patterns, and knowing , instead of praying, that they’ll fit.

Oh, I went shopping, too. I had a short list of fibers to fondle, if not actually buy: yak, musk ox, Sea Wool, small farms who only sell at fiber festivals, etc. I am extremely sensitive to lots of fibers (not wool, though), so it’s always nice to find out that I can’t tolerate a fiber I can’t afford anyway, like yak. Yak is itchy. Qiviut’s not, but it’s not all that and a bag of chips, either. At $70 for a 50 gram skein, I want a little more than a soft, dark-brown yarn. A massage would be nice for starters. Alpaca is quite nice, and feels very soft, right until I get it up next to my neck. Ouch! All the mohair made me sneeze and wheeze on Thursday, so I made sure to take all of my allergy medications the rest of the weekend. And the silk! How can people stand that stuff? It reeks to high heaven. It smells like something died. Well, something did, but properly processed, that horrid stench is removed. Since the most popular fiber combination right now is mohair and/or silk, I ended up with a lot of Merino, mostly superwash (wool treated to be machine washable).

Fleece Artist Sea Wool, though. That’s nice stuff. This was its US debut (Fleece Artist/Hand Maiden are Canadian companies). It’s the companion yarn to the extremely popular Hand Maiden Sea Silk. Sea Wool is 70% superwash Merino wool, 30% seacell (algae) and it’s really, really soft. It takes dye beautifully, too, almost like silk, with a beautiful silken sheen. I’d be addicted, except that it’s $25/skein.

I bought 2 skeins of bright pink solar dyed superwash Merino, 2 skeins of locally dyed superwash Merino in blues/greens, some really brilliantly dyed superwash Merino in 8 oz skeins, sock yarn, and some wool/camel laceweight/light fingering weight in a forest-y colorway . I also bought a sweater pattern, and I think I’m going to use this yarn, which I didn’t buy at Stitches, but it came in on Thursday, so it counts as part of the yarn haul for the weekend.

Skunk was jealous of Smokey (he’s a camera hog), so here’s a self-portrait with cat. The Princess, luxuriating on new sheets. The project I cast on last night.

Hey! I’m first!

I’m glad you started the MMP early, Jahdra - great OP! I have to take Mr. Spock back to the vet in the morning. He’s still sick and so am I.

Hey, this is a cheat! It’s still Sunday! pouts

And I think I’m second! Wow, I am SO drooling over your yarn haul, Jahdra. Gorgeous, gorgeous fibers! Too bad you can’t handle alpaca, though. That’s just about my favorite fiber. But I haven’t tried Sea Cell or any of the other really amazing ones. Qiviut I’d probably use for a nice extra-warm hat if I lived in the Frozen North, but it’s just not that cold around here. The colors you chose are beautiful! Do you have projects in mind for the various yarns, or did you just buy on spec?

I just gave up on trying to finish this work, and am sending it back in to let someone else finish. And I don’t even feel guilty. My life is going through a minor upheaval tomorrow, after all. So it’s time to let someone else take over.

And now it’s time to get myself off to bed. Papa Tigs turned in early because he’s going to get up early to deal with the idiots on the road. Our temp, fortunately, has stayed just above freezing since shortly after the snow fell, so he shouldn’t have to worry about ice. But he still has to worry about everyone else out there, obviously. Then hopefully he can get out in time to be there when they bring my drugged and barely-conscious self out of surgery. I doubt I’ll even notice, but hey, if it makes him feel better, more power to him. :smiley:

ETA: Shoot, I’m only third instead of second! :: pouts ::

That’s why I started using *s instead of :s.

Oooh! I’m loving this MMP already. What beautiful yarns!! I love the colors also.

MamaTigs, I didn’t say this in the other MMP as I haven’t gotten through the entire thread; good luck to you tomorrow or supposedly today.

Drool. Bust darts with Lily Chin? Faint! I’m not very coherent. But that sounds wonderful.

I’m sensitive to all animal fibres but silk. I don’t mind the smell of silk. That is probably a good thing. I like to think that being unable to work with 80-90% of the yarn at yarn stores and fibre shows would be a plus for controlling the spending, but I managed to get the maximum volume discount visiting WEBS last year without a single animal fibre coming home with me, so I’m sure I’d be lost at Stitches.

I finished up a hat of my own design (not terribly exciting own design, but still!) and started a matching scarf this weekend. Tres thrilling. :dubious:

Good luck and best wishes, tigs!

I have some plans for the yarn, but you know how plans change. I’m pretty spoiled, there’s not a lot that I can’t get around here, so about half of the yarn I bought was from LYS that I was too lazy to drive to, so I waited until they came to me! :wink: I’d heard so many good things about Socks That Rock, though, and they don’t have a local distributor, so I snatched up some of those. They’re always resalable. I bought the laceweight in a fit of madness over the color, so I guess it’s going to be lace. Now I have to find a simple pattern that won’t be too obscured by the variegation in the yarn. The Sea Wool will be socks (the ball band pattern is for Bordello socks!?) The hot pink skeins will probably be a multi-directional scarf. The rest are just to admire for the moment.

So, Kat, are you volunteering for the March 19 MMP? :smiley:

Idlewild, Lily Chin is awesome! She’s a great teacher. Have you seen No Sheep For You yet? The patterns aren’t fantastic, but the front section on the various types of yarn is really good.

W-O-W! What beautiful, vibrant colors, Jahdra!
It shouldn’t technically be Monday yet… I’m about five seconds from falling face-down on the floor. Cozy comforter calling…

It’s fixin’ to be a great week. I’m on Spring Break! Yahoo! Finally a break and some rest after this crazy month of surgery, exams, Jury Duty and research coding! I’ve got no complaints–we’re having a blast here. I hope life is treating the rest of you just as well.

Jahdra, you inspire me to drag the huge box of yarn out from under the bed.
What beautiful colors!

I love Alpaca. Years ago, I went to Colombia. All the blankets at the hotel were alpaca. uuuummmm :slight_smile:

I pre-ordered No Sheep from amazon, so it should float over my way soon. I’m actually surprised it hasn’t shipped yet.

I did get Barbara Walker’s second stitch dictionary last week on a complete impulse since I had been dithering between that and the first stitch dictionary, the second volume of Vogue Stitchionary, and/or Barbara Walker’s mosaic knitting book. Um. My lust for reference volumes is apparently entirely insatiable!

I’m glad the Lily Chin class was good!

Cool OP, Jahdra! Pretty pretty colors.

Good morning, all! I’m trying to wake up and get inspired for work. Why isn’t that working?

Happy Monday!

GT

Great OP, Jahdra - sometimes I wish I could knit, but all that seems to come out at the end is holes.

Oh, and it’s afternoon here! I’m off to buy birthday cards and stuff, and I have to call into the travel agency on campus to order some Euros for the trip on Friday. Yes, you lucky people, I will be away and computer-less from Thursday night until Monday. Try not to miss me too much, won’t you?

Pretty stuff. Completely unfathomable to me that there are creative, capable people who know how to do yarn-ish things - some days I can’t tie my shoes.

Good luck today tigs!!!

It’s weird to be here at 6:19 and already have been working for 3 hours…I smell an early afternoon for me.

Great OP, Jahdra. I had no idea the knitting world had stars and groupies. My favorites of your purchases are these two and the yarn you’re using in your new project.

Well, it snowed. There’s about an inch or so on the ground, and two inches on my car. So I’m going to go bundle up and go scrape the car off so I can go to work. See you tonight.

Some nice lookin’ yarn and stuff there Jah and a good OP too! Although, like MBG you creative types are just way above my head. I once tried to learn to knit and crochet but gave up. I am apparently too stoopid or way too left-handed cause I could never get the idea down. And to think of all the crocheted toilet paper covers and tea cozies my family and friends could have had over the years! :smiley:

Tigs Ima guess you’re already gettin’ bionic knee stuff done, but good luck. I’m keepin’ ya in my thoughts and prayers. Yep, you won’t have any idea who is or ain’t there when you come out of surgery but it’ll be nice to know that people were there anyways. Ok, palebunny we’re dependin’ on you for updates.

Ima go to Mississippi for some consulting work tomorrow through Friday. However, I have my brand new shiny laptop so I shall be checkin’ in from time to time so y’all won’t have to pine away for me. I just couldn’t bear the thought of that.

I think I’ll have a bit more caffiene then clean myself up and see what wonderful opportunities for employment await me today.

Later Y’all!

Morning, y’all. We had some nasty thunderboomers come through last night, and one house in Hooterville’s (NC, not VA) district was hit by lightning. No big fire, but some scorch marks and smoke in the attic.

It was odd how I kept dreaming of dragons all night. I wonder why…

Good morning, everyone! Cool OP, Jah. I’m with some of the others though - no creativity in the knitting, sewing, heck, hand-crafting department! I’m jealous!

Tigs, good luck and feel better soon! Updates are awaited…

Well, I’m here at work with nothing to do yet. I’m sure that won’t last long!

Later, gang…

Good luck for everything, Tigs, your Bionic Knee Club membership card is ready and waiting!

Jakdra - I once has a spinner/weaver stop me and ask for my afghan hound’s hair. I’d save up the stuff that came out in the brush when I groomed him. It was 10 - 12 inches long of fine silky stuff.

StG