The First Annual Mike Tomlin Marches the Steelers to the Super Bowl Thread

(AKA the Fifth Annual Steelers march to the Super Bowl Thread)

Yes, it’s that time. I haven’t been here in a while, but I couldn’t NOT start this thread. It’s become as much of a tradition as baseball, apple pie, Chevrolet, the Browns sucking hind tit and the Bengals going to jail.

Well, isn’t this an interesting season already… my beloved Steelers have a new coach for the first time in 15 years, and only the third since 1969. I didn’t know what to expect, and as a result I awaited the start of preseason with bated breath. Imagine my surprise when the Steelers’ first team came out and whipped the Aints like they were one of Ronnie Mexico’s dogs. That only served to make me more anxious for the regular season to start, because God help anybody who gets in the way of that juggernaut.

So, what’s it looking like throughout the rest of the league? The Colts finally shrugged off the mantle of chokers, and good on them. Loathe as I am to say it, they’ll be tough this year. I can only hope that one of their DBs gets stabbed in a domestic dispute again before the AFC Championship, or it’ll be tough for the Steelers to get by. The other Super Bowl team from last season, the Bears, are still sitting on Rex Grossman at quarterback. For that reason alone I predict that they will be in last place in their division, as he is the personification of the weakest link.

The usual rivals, the Ravens, are another year older. Steve McNair avoided the massive injuries of the past last year, but I still feel confident in predicting that he will sustain his usual flayed chest this year, as last year was statistically a fluke. The Browns will continue with tradition and serve as the AFC doormats, and the Bengals may not be able to afford to continue operations if they have to post bail before every game, so they’re out.

But anyway, back to the soon-to-be six-time champions: who, pray tell, will stop them? Somebody better give Big Ben a motorcycle or something or it’s all over.

And that, my friends, you can take to the bank.

Bring it.

WOOOO!!! HERE WE GO STEELER’S, HERE WE GO!!!

Okay, just wanted to post first.

Since the Steelers play the Redskins tomorrow night, I’m watching this thread closely for now. Although the 'Skins just haven’t been the same since the 1991 season.

Tomlin is a damn fine coach. You are lucky to have him.
-NurseCarmen
-bitter Viking fan

I am tentatively excited. I confess that I had hoped we would promote from within, but I will give Tomlin the chance to prove himself.

I’m just glad its football season! (Now come on football weather!)

As a long suffering Browns fan, I’ll have to admit you characterization of the Browns as AFC doormats has been pretty much dead on. However, I think things are finally turning around in Brownstown. Finally, finally, finally, after years of begging by the fans, they’ve addressed the offensive line with a very high draft pick and signing of quality free agents (that actually made it through the 1st play of training camp uninjured).

Our biggest weakness this year is D-line so we’re still going to get run on alot. You can’t address everything in 1 offseason. We’re going to give your Steelers a run for their money this year in the head-to-head match-ups. Unfortunately, not in the division. Still more work to do first.

He came out of the Tony Dungy era Bucs organization, I’m sure he’ll acquit himself well.

How about Ken Whisenhunt marches the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl? Home field advantage!

No mentions of the 75th anniversary!?

For shame!!

Doubtful.

The offense of the Steelers had become much better the last couple of years, that can’t be denied. It still was far from the best.

IMHO it was a blessing in disguise that Whisenhunt left. Fortunately LeBeau is still with the Steelers.

All the best to Whisenhunt, I’m sure he’ll keep his opponents on their toes.

Well, they did come up with a mascot. That would be bad enough in and of itself, but Steely McBeam? What marketing morons came up with that thing?

What does she/he/it look like, anyhow?

No, I was saving that for the Monday night game when they brought back all the legends, played in throwback uniforms, and pancaked the Ratbirds.

Better you don’t know. Let’s just say that there is more than a passing resemblance to the turnco…er, ex-coach Bill Cowher, who word has it will be going to the Potomac Native Americans next year. Bastard. We don’t erect monuments to Benedict Arnold, do we?

Steely McBeam is prima facie evidence that even the Rooneys can screw it up every once in a while. Good thing they didn’t do it with the coach.

As a dedicated Bears fan, all I can say is keep drinking the ESPN Flavor Aid on Rex Grossman. All the kid does is go out and win football games. He’s the personification of the whipping boy, and when he’s in the PRO BOWL this year (mark it down) you may have either mustard or relish with your crow.

Also, you got the Bears as being worse than the Lions? Well, here’s hoping the Steelers feel the shame of finishing behind the BROWNS. Indeed!

Yeah, that might happen. The Steelers finishing behind the Browns? Only if the sun and the stars line up and Mother Teresa performs a miracle on behalf of Cleveland, and even that would only put them in third.

On the other hand, Choker Boy Grossman eats it no matter what. Enjoy your season, brother. Don’t say i didn’t give you the heads up on it. Pro Bowl? Ha! He’ll be lucky to be starting in NFL Europe by the end of the year.

Oh boy! You mean we get to ruin some stupid Shittsburgh celebration on national TV? Man, I can’t wait!

Care to put some ducats on that?

I thought I was going to have to start this thread this time around.

Now that Cowher is gone, I’m anxious to see what a really good coach can do with a really good team. I don’t know for sure that Tomlin is a really good coach, but I like what I’ve seen so far.

I’m also not that big on Willie Parker, simply because he has so many runs for losses, but if it is true that they are going to open up the offense, that could be really good for him.

In short: Here we go Steelers, here we go!

As a Gator fan who followed Grossman in his nail-biting years at UF, I can attest to his jaw-dropping brilliance when he’s good. Problem is, when his A-game isn’t on, he drops right to the F minus level, and you never know on any given play which version of Rex is going to show up.

Watching him play for Chicago, I had to feel bad for all Bears fans who have to endure the same emotional roller coaster.