The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 11-18-2007, 11:37 PM

A Picture MMP {My First MMP}

I know this is a little early, but I need to head to bed.

A couple weeks ago, Rigs posted pictures of herself. I posted that it would be fun to have a MMP decided to pictures of Mumpers. So here goes, post a picture of a younger you (if you have one available) and a more recent picture of you.

Here is me, circa 1984 (I'm the one on the left.) I was about 1 1/2 years old in this picture. The boy in the picture is my second cousin Ryan.

Now a recent picture of me. This was taken this spring, after I had my hair colored.

I can't wait to put faces to all of you mumpers! Post your pictures!
Advertisements  
Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM

First?

Last edited by HazelNutCoffee; 11-18-2007 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: yeah, I rule!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee
First?
Dang it!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 AM

Damnit, all my baby photos are at home. Home being Seoul, Korea. I'll ask my mom to scan and send me one.

You were a cute baby, McUne! I love the streaks in your hair in your current photo
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Well, damn, I have a scanner, but I'm not sure it works because we've never hooked it up.

If I can manage to get it hooked up and working I'll scan a childhood and/or baby picture. I'm not sure I have any current pictures of me that I want to share. I'll look though.

I think I shall toddle off to bed now.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 AM

Alright:

Here's me at 3 years old. Third from left, with my dad on my left and my mom at my right, at a family dinner party with my grandparents.

High school age, probably 17 or so.

After graduating high school, with my beloved 4Runner and kayak.

Me, 2 days ago, photo taken by my girlfriend at the movie theater before we saw the Darjeeling Limited. It was our 2 year anniversary.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 AM

Don't think I have any childhood pictures in digital format... maybe I'll see if I can get one scanned during the week.

Y'all are invited to see me (and a few others) here. I think this is the best one.

And Roo? Taking pot shots at the end of the previous MMP is bad form Just sayin'.... Oh, and of course my thinking score should have been higher... but apparently that test only considers thinking with one head as being of any significance...

Nice idea, McUne!

Last edited by Noone Special; 11-19-2007 at 12:48 AM..
Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 AM

Zoe posted a question toward the end of the last MMP. (Hope you saw McUne's link. Also, FCM, it appears she's stalking you. ) Have you tried soaking the shells in water with baking soda added? I don't think it would change the color.

I have to scan a kid pic and decide which grown-up pic to use. Not now, cuz I'm supposed to be asleep. (I was, and woke up... ) Nice pics so far, though....

Hello to all of you who haven't been here before!

Back to sleep, I hope.

GT
Old 11-19-2007, 01:01 AM

Yes, this is my very first MMP ever also.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:28 AM

I don't have a scanner. I assume I can scan a younger photo in at a Kinko's or something like that? I'll check tomorrow; there's a place nearby that I can scan one in. I have a darling photo of me and my sister if I can find it.

In the meantime, here's one of me taken recently, and here's another one of me and Papa Tigs at the MADDope this spring.

And now it's way past my always-too-late bedtime, so I shall toddle off and visit more in the a.m.!
Old 11-19-2007, 02:45 AM

Mom's cleaning lady is here, so the search'n'scan will have to wait a few hours.

Three years ago, Mom was all set on getting something to put on her radiators, cos she'd decided radiators are ugly (I didn't know they were supposed to be pretty, myself). Middlebro, who worked in a marble company (not a quarry, these cut marble and stone and set it in buildings, tombs, etc), proposed getting slabs of marble and setting them on top of the radiators; she already had something like that with a slab of wood on one radiator. Last year, Lilbro (who was in the marble business at the time) finally got the marble, but the pieces needed to put it on top of the radiators "didn't exist any more." Last saturday I took one of the supports for the wood to a hardware store and told one of the guys "Mom has these on one of her radiators, you guys have anything similar?" "Sure." The current model is a tad more sophisticated, but lo and behold, the marble slabs are now in place! Turns out my brothers had asked the hardware store guys for "a part just like this one" - I don't know whether they asked the wrong guy or the guy just thought "ah, no, just like that one we don't have" but didn't think of showing them the current model.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:30 AM

I don't have any pics of l'ilfaerie, well I do but they're buried somewhere at home and I'd need to scan them and I'm going on holiday at the weekend and it's all too much hassle!

We had snow yesterday so today's journey to work was slushy, slippery and generally more aggravation than you want on a Monday morning. And I didn't want to get out of my nice warm bed either.

On the plus side, I'm only here for four days this week 'cos I've got Friday off for pre-holiday panic and stuff like that.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 AM

As soon as I get to the shop, I'll post some pictures. My dad pulled a few out the other day when he was cleaning.

I slept rather well last night, I was surprised.

Happy Morning to all!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 AM

I also slept surprisingly well. Maybe that's what we all have in common this week? That would be good.

GT
Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 AM

Y'all are slacking! So few pictures so far....

Especially annoying is the fact that (other than the OP and Tigs -- nice pics BTW, you don't look half-bad, either of you! ), there have been no more female pictures

C'mon, we need to see what you all look like. For, um, scientific purposes; yeah, that's it....
Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 AM

me, age 18 months
me, in high school, in "Harvey" (I played the sister of the man who saw the invisible rabbit)
and
me, last Christmas

eta: I am now going back to sleep

Last edited by anyrose; 11-19-2007 at 05:49 AM..
Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 AM

I do have a couple of pics but they're both fairly recent. One is from a fancy dress party where we did a group thing and went as Snow White and the Nine Dwarves (allowing for inflation), I was the Wicked Witch.

This one is about ten years old now, I think. It was definitely taken before I met 'im indoors.

I'm glad to hear some people got a good night's sleep, I certainly didn't. He was snoring, the cats were restless and around 5am Ophie decided she wanted to play.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
Me, 2 days ago, photo taken by my girlfriend at the movie theater before we saw the Darjeeling Limited. It was our 2 year anniversary.
How you doin'?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Here's a picture of me with my great niece taken last Thanksgiving at mom's. Somewhere I have my high school senior year picture, and, I think, a baby picture. I'll try to hunt 'em down.

I am going over to my church this morning to help put together food boxes for Thanksgiving. I think we have like 30 of 'em. Then, on my way to da brewry Ima drop off a couple of 'em cause they're in the direction I'll be headed for work. This is either a really good idea or a really dumb one. We shall find out.

Later Y'all!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 AM

Awww, everyone's baby pics are so cute!

Unfortunately I don't have any of mine online. I've got some darn cute ones (modestly). ANd Mr. Lissar has this awesome one of him and his brother in the bathtub. I think he's about two, so his brother's four. They put him to bed, put Brother in the bath, went back to check on Mr. Lissar... and he'd disappeared.

He's in the bathtub, in his pajamas, looking confused and a little guilty. Great picture.

Here he is last fall, at Attacks Husband's house. He's thinking, "Put down the bloody camera already. And here's Driving Husband, same place, waiting to throw knives. Here's a washed-out pic of me at Other Quasi-Daughter's wedding two years ago. I don't have any recent pics of myself, sorry.

Welcome to the new people!

Time for breakfast, and then running around trying to finalize all my application stuff. Whee. On the bright side, Driving Husband is driving me.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 AM

Mornin' everyone.

It's Monday. Ewwww.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Great OP! I don't have a whole lotta pics m'self. Me and cameras, we've had our differences. Here is one of me from about 10 years ago, and MindWife and I from around the same time. I have more recent pics somewhere, they just seem to have disappeared from cyberspace. Not that I look a whole lot different.

Anyway, just a quasi-drive-by this morning as I start gettin' a edumacashun on small engines and stuff, which will be going on over the next 4 days from 9 'til 4-ish, so I'll have some time to pop back in before I head home. Wee! I get to tear apart engines and put them back together again! And just think, before I started this job, the sum total of my knowledge of engines was almost entirely encompassed by "Gas goes in, torque comes out, wheels go round."

At the end of the week I'll even get to take a test if I so choose. (It's optional for me since only dealers have to take it, but it might be interesting to take just to see what kind of score I get given that all the other dealers there have already been working in the field fixing engines and I haven't.)
Old 11-19-2007, 07:56 AM

My first MMP!

I don't have a recent picture of me yet (that'll have to wait until tomorrow) but here's some Olde Picturese:

As a SpazKitten in 1980
With my sisters in 1982
19 years later with a picture it took all three of us to finish (Oldest sister started embroidery, I finished it, Middle sister framed it)

Gonna be a crazy day. I have work, a doctor's appointment, a grocery trip for the rest of the Thanksgiving fixin's, and my weekly Bad Movie Group meeting. We're watching Black Sheep this week. It's about weresheep in New Zealand. Should be a blast.

Last edited by Catamount; 11-19-2007 at 08:00 AM..
Old 11-19-2007, 08:02 AM

Sorry to be a n00b but what is a "MMP"?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:14 AM

MMP is the monday morning post.

Argent Tower, welcome to the MMP! And how you doing.

SpazCat, welcome to the MMP!

Lunch, how you doing.

Mindfield, how you doing.

Everyone else, great pictures!!! I love seeing them. Rosie, do you mind if I play with that first you posted in Photoshop? I’d like to play with the colors and such.

I just got up, it’s been a long night, I didn’t sleep that well. I work today from 1-5. Other than that I think I’m just going to try to get some stuff done around the house.

VBob, tell us about the Big Fire.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Morning Mumpers. I am up and caffeinating. I'm off on Thanksgiving for the first time in four years, I'll have to figure out something to eat. Here is my high school yearbook photo. Here is a picture of me from last year, and here is one of me chugging a beer at a hockey tailgate 2 weeks ago.\

tonedef it's short for Monday Morning Post. It's a little place for things that are too mundane for MPSIMS. Speaking of which:
SPOILER:
*.....................*.............................*..................*..................*
Happy Birthday MMP!!!
*...................*..........................[/color]*.............*...................*

6 years keeping MPSIMP tidy.

Spaz, that looks like a good movie to watch.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most Creative User Name Ever

Lunch, how you doing.

Mindfield, how you doing.
Am I wrong or are you flirting with everything possessed of both a Y chromosome and a digitized picture?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:28 AM

My mom recently took a lot of old slides and had them put on CD. I found one if my favorite old pictures of myself and used it on my Muscular Dystrophy Lock Up website.

Last Thursday was the event, but the website will be up a few more weeks, and I thought WHAT a wonderful chance this would be to:

A) Show the picture

and....

2) Shamelessly beg for more money.

Behold - the blue jumpsuit.

I think I was about 4 in this one.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

"Let it burn…"

Usually when I write these tales, I do it because there's either a bit of humor I found in the situation, or simply a good yarn to tell. This episode, however, has nothing funny to it. Quite frankly, I'm still pissed off.

Saturday, VWife and I did a road trip to Hampton (VA), the first place we lived in when we came east. The railroad club I used to belong to had an open house I wanted to see, and she was looking for a small shopping safari. I figured it was a Good Thing overall, because she was out of the house and forced to exercise her knees. Nothing exciting happened, except to say we were both tired from the long day and had turned in by nine o'clock. Envy us; we're such party animals…

It was about 11:30 when my pager went off for a structure fire relatively close to the VunderLair, but in Pixley's fire district. Mayberry was also called on the first alarm for mutual assist. As is normal for me, I woke up completely while stuffing my pockets; I don't actually remember the page itself. I was 2 miles down the road to the station when one of the rescue squad members who lived nearby reported that the house was fully involved, and all people were accounted for. That was good, but I remember thinking that it was going to be a long night. How right I was…

I got to the station, donned my gear, and rode on the first engine out the door. Our first run tanker was a quarter mile behind. I know the area well; we were going to need water because there were no hydrants nearby. The glow was readily visible from 3 miles, and visible flames through the roof could be seen from a mile away. The house was already lost, and no hoses were yet pulled.

I was picked to man a two and a half for a rear exterior attack. Two and a halfs are the big mofo hoses, 2.5' in diameter, usually run at 100 PSI, and damned hard to handle. The biggest guys around man these, and usually with a crew of 3. We pulled it into our first position, to spray water into the open apex of the attic. We did that for about 20 minutes, and I put my heart and soul into the job, because the flames would not quit. Just as we got to the end of that 20 minute frame, our end of the attic settled down and the engine we were attached to ran out of water. We took the opportunity while the line was slack to rag the hose to the back side, where the roof was gone and we had better access.

The water was a big problem, generating two more alarms and a response from the next county to the south. All told, we ran out of water three times trying to put the fire out, and at the third downtime, I was finally relieved from the line. I was tired from the exertion, cold from the temperatures and water, and grouchy as hell from being wakened. What came next still bothers me.

The house was lost before we ever got there. The roof was swaybacked because there were no longer any rafters and joists to hold it up, and the whole frame was leaning to the south. It was unsafe to enter to mop up, and I fully understand why. Yet, when we ran out that last time, the Pixley chief decided to let it burn.

WTF? I manhandled that hose for an hour, trying to save a house that was admittedly a lost cause, to the point of muscle cramps and exhaustion just to pull back and have a wienie roast? Jeebus Hashimoto Crispus, I know we can't go in without getting ourselves killed, but two more inch and a halfs besides the ones already pulled will mop it up from the outside in about 15 minutes.

I was pissed, and I showed it. I also let it go, because I was not an officer, nor a member of the department calling the shots. My job was to do what I was told, and I did that very well.

In the downtime, I got the back story. The homeowner is a guy born to hard working well-to-do parents, and from day one, was their problem child. He grew up into a ne'er do well drug addict and alcoholic, married a nice woman and turned her into a user, too. She went to prison for a rap related to using, got out, divorced him, and cleaned her life up. He didn't. His parents died, left him this house which used to be one of the nicest ones in the county, and he ran it into the ground. The fire started when some kerosene spilled and ignited. He tried to beat it out with a blanket, but overturned his heater in the process and lit off the whole place.

The decision (heard second-third hand, not directly from the chief) was based on the following criteria:

• We can't enter to mop it up without great personal risk
• The house in uninsured and paid off
• The resident would suffer relatively little economic loss

I'll buy #1. I have no great desire to have a burning house collapse on my head or under my ass, but the other reasons smell. If this was the place was owned by one of the county commissioners, would he have been so cavalier about the financial reasoning to justify the first?

To end this tale, Mayberry was released from the scene about 0330, and I left the station for home at 0400. Loki got me up at 0630 to go out, and I heard at that time Pixley units calling in that they were back in the station.

I slept until 0930. VWife and I went to brekkie, drove by the scene (still smoldering, BTW), and there was nothing left except sheet metal from the roof and one column from the front porch.

This still bothers me, but I know I'll get over it eventually. BTW, this was my biggest fire to date.

Last edited by VunderBob; 11-19-2007 at 08:38 AM..
Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone Special
Am I wrong or are you flirting with everything possessed of both a Y chromosome and a digitized picture?
I learned from the best Lunch. You do that with all of the women who post pics.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 AM

Me and Rozee ‘Camping’ about 3 years ago.

My Wife and I own 40 acres about 40 minutes south of our home. We don’t spend enough time there though.

And in case anyone wonders. I'm doing fine.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone Special
She hasn't flirted with me yet.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 AM

I missed you Dog. How you doing.

Happy Birthday MMP!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 AM

Hello MMPers!

I just happen to have some old pics, so here ya go:

About four years old - I'm on the lower right, in the blue shirt;
Senior portrait (circa 1977) (dig those glasses, dude! I also had on a long bluejean skirt and some EarthShoes boots );
More recently, dubious.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most Creative User Name Ever
Thank. You're not bad looking yourelf.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 AM

Hello everyone! Y'all looked so cute as kids. dogbutler and Mindy, I'm sorry I didn't know you guys back in the day - both of you were hawt.

My mom just emailed me a bunch of pics from my childhood. I'll put them up in a minute.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:04 AM

So here's me at age 5.

Here's me in ... second grade, maybe?

And here's me now. (Most of you have already seen this pic.)

Last edited by HazelNutCoffee; 11-19-2007 at 10:05 AM..
Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Here's a pic of me and my brother, he's going to his first day of kindergarten, I'm going to 1st grade. It was...hmm...about 1966?

This is a picture my husband took of me - in this very computer chair! - from over my head looking down on me. I love it - you can't see my double chin! It was taken Dec 2006.

Gotta run - I'm being taken to lunch!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee
And here's me now. (Most of you have already seen this pic.)
You're quite easy on the eyes, if you don't mind me saying. Your username fits you really well.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Let's see if I can remember how to do this....

me, age 3 or so

me, last week before work at 0400

me, doing cataloging homework

I have the startings of a head cold. Blah. Also have parent/teacher conferences with #2 son. Teacher wants all her kids to come with each parent--this should be odd.

I think we are all good looking dopers. Mindfield--let me catch my breath. (and I don't even like blonde men!). No One--I like the one of you with your daughter(wife?). You look very happy. HazelNut--you are the world's cutest person. As it is said, so shall it be written.

But my favorite one is still anyrose's demented wearing of the antlers. I love the zaniness in that pic. Hello to all the newbies here--come on in, just give FCM some chocolate and you're good to go....

Last edited by eleanorigby; 11-19-2007 at 10:49 AM..
Old 11-19-2007, 10:49 AM

I am back from Cancun and the company boondoggle! I know everyone missed me. I started reading last weeks MMP on Saturday but couldn't get caught up.

I came back with a broken toe and a nasty head cold but it was great.

No piccies of me I am afraid - I would break the internet if I did that

Last edited by ems; 11-19-2007 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: still sleepy
Old 11-19-2007, 11:06 AM

I don't have any recent pics online, so I am subsituting one on the Snakes website - scroll to the third pic from the bottom. I'm next to the very handsome guy in the brown leather jacket, who just happens to be Mr. SCL.

We have some fine lookin' MMPer's, don't we? SpecialOne, you're safe because I swore off redheaded men years ago. Damn it.

I am off work today. Good.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Evening all. I will have to get Dad to email me a baby pic, but here is a pic of me from last New Year's Eve (about 6 months pregnant at the time).

Today was pure hell. Noor woke me up every 15-20 minutes from 3:30am onwards, before I finally conceded defeat just before 6am. Dropped HRH off at MIL's house then trudged off to work. Then I get a call at 11:30am from hubby, saying "I'm in ICU at XYZ Hospital. Please tell the cardiologist I don't care that my heart is in atrial fibrillation and is otherwise racing at 160 beats per minute - I want to go home". WTF'inF????? You're 34 years old, how can you have heart problems? It took until nearly 4pm before they got his heart rate down below 100bpm, and he had quite a few bouts of sinus tachycardia in the mean time. I don't pretend to know what it all means, although apparently atrial fibrillation means the electrical impulses in the heart are misfiring, causing the heart to shiver instead of pump. I came home to get Noor, as she had a 4:30pm doctor's appointment (to sort out the damn medication - refer previous MMP), then raced her back to the other (distant) hospital clinic, where they farted around and kept me waiting at the cashier for 15 minutes (holding a squirming 10kg/22lb baby) before finally getting in to see the doc. We then went back to XYZ hospital to see hubby, who had decided he didn't want to stay in overnight for observation, and discharged himself "against medical advice". Sigh! By the time we navigated through the peak hour evening traffic and got home, it was nearly 7pm and Noor was cranky as hell. Thank Og she finished her milk and went straight down!

Anyway, I will be keeping a close eye on hubby tonight - they have him on an antiarrhythmic medication for the next couple of weeks, with a follow-up appointment next Saturday. Double sigh ...

So, how was your Monday?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:10 PM

I don't have any pictures of me when I was young. I could get them from my mother, but I don't really want to go there. I may have a photo album somewhere, I'll see if I can find it tonight and scan some pictures. I'm pretty sure that has the one with me dressed up as a Pilgrim, which would be appropriate.

I was just going to swatch a bit last night, but I ended up starting the project. It's a shawl called Feathers. It's going to be gorgeous, but I think it will be too small for me. It's a fun knit, though, so I should finish it up fairly quickly. I expect to get some prime knitting time in at work tomorrow and Wednesday.

ETA: My goodness, Dotty! I hope everything stays calm tonight.

Last edited by The Blue-Sighted Shadow; 11-19-2007 at 12:12 PM..
Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Ick dotty! Prayers and good thoughts headed out to hubby.

ems we must hear all about the broken toe. You know it's all important to go into minute detail about injuries.

We do got us some good lookin' Mumpers don't we?

Ok, I found my high school senior picture. Don't say you were not warned. I was a teenaged werewolf. Whaddya want from 1972!

And....

<AHEM> CLEARING THROAT <AHEM>

HAAAPPPYYY BIIIRRRTTTHHHDDDAAAYYY TOOOOOO YOUUUUUU!!!!!!
HAAAPPPYYY BIIIRRRTTTHHHDDDAAAYYY DEEEAAARRR MMMMMMPPP!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McUne
I learned from the best Lunch. You do that with all of the women who post pics.
Yes, but my heart is in it only if they really look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCL
SpecialOne, you're safe because I swore off redheaded men years ago. Damn it.
Takes one to know one, eh? and yes, damn it is right... "safe?" Safety is for wusses...

Rigs -- that's my daughter.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM

Dotty -- this merits a separate post...

My thoughts are with your husband and you... I hope he gets over this soon!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

Dotty, the atria are the 2 chambers of the heart that collect the blood coming in, the ventricula are the ones that do the heavy work of pumping it out. Fibrillation basically means that the muscle is quivering instead of beating.

Atrial fibrillation is serious because it means there's something wrong with the electrical network that generate pulses, but it in and of itself won't kill you. When the ventricles start to fibrillate, you assume room temperature quickly.

Keep after him to take his meds and see the cardiologist.

{{{Dotty}}} for you.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:00 PM

Dotty, prayers headed out for the husband. Cripes.

ems, we need the story.

Bob, you are right to still be pissed off. That's an idiotic decision to do a halfway job.

I am home sans necessary paperwork. Oh, no, we don't keep employee records here anymore, I'll just contact you if I ever get ahold of the office we outsource to and find out where they've sent yours. Don't worry, we should eventually be able to find out. The Office Guy is new, and I have no confidence in him, so I phoned the boss's wife (who used to do all the accounting about until six months ago) and left a message asking for information about how to get this fast.

I don't understand not keeping employee files at head office. Payroll, sure, but the records of your employees? I would really, really like this resolved, particularly because of the damned 28-day money-holding pertiod. Which starts from whenever I get my application finished.

Which won't be until I've got my damned record. Which, if they've got to recopy and resend, or wait for next pay period, could be a month after the beginning of December. Two months after I stopped working. Wait, plus five days in the mail.

Aagh.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM

{{{Dotty}}} That's so scary! Hope they figure out what's wrong.

No baby pix here. KeithT was just asking about those the other day so we're going to have to look at them while visiting parents for Christmas. And only wedding pix available online, which are kinda dull after the 15th time dragging them out.

Things are crazy here. We picked out the granite countertops, the cabinets, the laminate flooring, the carpet, and the wall color for our townhouse-to-be yesterday, which was a lot of fun. And we started looking at furniture. Today I have to go grocery shopping after work because for some insane reason I told KeithT's family last week that I'd bring the cheesecake for T-day. What was I thinking?? So I have to buy stuff for that tonight and then bake it tomorrow. Ugh.

Saturday morning I was looking at the available ingredients in our house and got to wondering if sweet potatoes make good soup. So KeithT looked up recipes and made a really super yummy sweet potato chowder for dinner. (No recipe, just general instructions: Cut up bacon and cook. Remove bacon but leave drippings in pan. Add flour to make roux. Cook for a couple minutes. Add onion and garlic. Cook. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add sweet potatoes (we did 1 big one) and white potato (we did 1 med russet). Cook until tender. We tossed in some leftover chicken at this point although I don't think it'd be strictly necessary. Add some milk. Allow to heat through. Serve with the little pieces of bacon on top. With fresh, homemade bread. The bread was my contribution.) It made a really really nice, hearty, wintery sort of dinner.

Shadow, I've been meaning to tell you - I borrowed _The Happiness Hypothesis_ from the library on your recommendation. (At least I think it was you... if I'm wrong and it was someone else here, I apologize.) I'm really really enjoying it and am recommending it to others. So thanks for the suggestion. Oh and also, I'm working on a scarf with the wool yarn you gave me. It's looking really pretty, although I've got a long way to go! It's amazing how much longer it takes when using size 8 needles instead of 10. It doesn't seem like that big a change, but it really is!