The Celebrity Death Pool 2008

Here we go for 2008. The rules are exactly as before, but please note my request at the bottom of the post that you submit your list in a specific format.

The Rules:

1. You pick 13 celebrities (that’s thirteen, not ten) whom you predict will die within the calendar year 2008. If any of your celebrities dies, you score 100 points minus their age at death. Whoever has the most points at the end of the year wins the undying snort admiration of the SDMB.

2. All picks must be time- and date-stamped by midnight Chicago time, Dec. 31st, 2007. (That’s U.S. Central time, which is six hours behind Greenwich.)

3. Valid picks are not:

a. already dead
b. a fictional character
c. non-human
d. under age 18 at death
e. a registered member of the SDMB, 'cause that would be weird
f. political prisoners, 'cause we’re macabre but not THAT macabre. Please see Rule 7 regarding the likes of Saddam Hussein.

1. You can pick people who are 100 or more years old but you won’t score points for them. See the “Quantity Not Quality” award, below.

2. If we are uncertain about the celebrity’s age at death, we will go by the higher age (lower score).

3. Your picks must specify a name: listing “anybody from [the cast of your most hated TV show or boy band]” as a pick will be ignored.

4. Persons under sentence of death will be valid for scoring points only if they die by means other than official execution.

5. Any poster who kills or otherwise contributes to the death of any celebrity mentioned in this thread is disqualified. It’s just a game, people. The only exceptions to this rule would be deaths caused by those posters serving as members of the police or armed forces of any country, in the line of duty.

6. Editing your choices: be careful! You can make changes to your list before the end of the year, but it has to be clear which names are your final choices. You may submit one or more “alternates” with your list in the event that one of your picks dies during December 2007, or submit an alternate after the death of the original pick, as long as this is posted by Dec 31, 2007. If you do not submit a name, I will submit the rest. You can have no more than 13 picks. If you pick more than 13, or if any of your picks is otherwise invalid, I may ask for clarification. Otherwise, I will submit the first 13 names on your list. Do me a favor: check twice, post once.

We have no rule about submissions having to be unique, despite claims of “copying” anyone else’s list. Sharing news of celebrities in ill health and whatnot is up to individual posters.

We have no rule about valid SDMB memberships (disqualifying members who have been banned). If you submit a list and then change your username at some point, please post this news on the thread so I know who you are.

We have no rule about what constitutes “celebrity,” because it makes our heads hurt to think about this.

Spelling counts! Please try to spell celebrities’ names correctly.

Some celebrities have common, identical or similar names. It is helpful to be specific.

Additional awards:

The “Quantity Not Quality” Award: to be awarded to the poster or posters who pick the greatest number of celebrities who died, regardless of their actual point value.

The “Inside Track With the Grim Reaper” Award: to be awarded to the poster or posters who pick a celebrity that no one else picked.

The “Opening Kickoff” Award: to be awarded to the poster or posters who pick the first listed celebrity to die in 2008.

The “Final Hours” Award: to be awarded to the poster or posters who pick the last listed celebrity to die in 2008.

List Format

I have a spreadsheet that will allow me to post updated standings quickly and produce various other statistics. The pain is “loading” the data into the sheet. I can do each list in a single cut and paste if you use the following format and guidelines: present a plain, unnumbered list that contains just the celebrities’ most commonly used names (e.g. use “Al Gore”, not “Albert Gore”), correctly spelled. So, to use my 2007 list as an example, it would be:

Garry Betty
Ronnie Biggs
Fidel Castro
Farrah Fawcett
Dan Fogelberg
Jane McGrath
Magnus Magnusson
Tammy Faye Messner
Benny Parsons
Suzanne Pleshette
Ariel Sharon
Yuri Shtern
Chuck Strahl
However, I know that many of you like to include commentary within your lists, such as:

George “the younger” Bush
Yogi Berra, baseballer/malaproper, age 81 (82 in May 2007)- because it ain’t over till it’s over.

That is fine - it adds to the entertainment. But if you do that, please also include the list again in plain format for me to copy & paste.
So - have at it. And many thanks to a35362 for all her hard work in running the game in recent years.

Fidel Castro
Mikhail Kalashnikov
Pete Doherty
Amy Winehouse
Betty Ford
Farrah Fawcett
Oral Roberts
Billy Graham
Bob Barker
Lawrence Pfohl, AKA Lex Luger (pro wrestler)
Stephen Glover, AKA Steve-O (Jackass)
Ariel Sharon
Charles Manson

I’m trying to start a game like this on another forum, but I’m getting tons of flack for it :frowning:

Since the Bush Deathpool seems to make them all immortal, I’m switching sides:

1. Eunice Kennedy Shriver
  2. Robert Shriver
  3. Maria Shriver Schwarzeneger
  4. Timothy Shriver
  5. Mark Shriver
  6. Anthony Shriver
  7. Jean Kennedy Smith
  8. William Kennedy Smith
  9. Edward Kennedy
  10. Edward Kennedy Jr.
  11. Kara Kennedy Allen
  12. Patrick Kennedy
  13. Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg

Dear Annie Xmas,

Every time I see one of the Bush Family on the TV, I think of you.

Now, when I see a Kennedy, I will laugh even harder.
I hope your 2007 list wins in 2008 and I hope your 2008 list wins too.

Okay, here’s my 2007 list again, unless I change my mind-

1. Shane MacGowan
  2. James Garner
  3. Olympia Dukakis
  4. Peter O’Toole
  5. Ariel Sharon
  6. Clint Eastwood
  7. Sparky Anderson
  8. Ernie Banks
  9. Kirk Douglas
  10. Margaret Thatcher
  11. Ruth Bader Ginsberg
  12. Eunice Shriver
  13. Annette Funicello

I think I’ll use Stephen Hawking as my first alternate…

Thank You Shirley. Ted, Jean & Eunice are givens, and I don’t really wish any of the rest any harm (well, maybe Willie the rapist). But if keeping certain people off the list makes them mortal, more power to the Deathpool.

Please don’t number them - I have to edit each line to remove the number when I put them into my spreadsheet. See the OP for the format that will make my life easiest.

1. Michael Jackson (Not sure anymore )
  2. Clint Eastwood (Actor)
  3. Don Williams (Country singer)
  4. Margaret Thatcher (Former UK PM)
  5. Larry King (TV Show host)
  6. Bob Barker (Game Show host)
  7. Robin Williams (Comedian/Actor)
  8. Dick Francis (Writer)
  9. Queen Elizabeth II (Royalty)
  10. Newt Gingrich (Politician)
  11. Billy Graham (Actor/Evangelist)
  12. George Jones (Country Singer)
  13. Dan Rather (News Anchor)

Alternate: Fran Tarkenton

Yes, this is the same list I have posted since 2004. The only change was last year my alternate was Gerald Ford, the only one on my list to die. And he didn’t even make it out of 2006. :frowning: I am getting tempted to put some people on this years list just to keep them alive.

Michael Jackson
Clint Eastwood
Don Williams
Margaret Thatcher
Larry King
Bob Barker
Robin Williams
Dick Francis
Queen Elizabeth II
Newt Gingrich
Billy Graham
George Jones
Dan Rather

I’m in, but I am going to think about my '08 list a little more. Besides, I have hopes for a few mid-December “departings” from my 2007 list.

Same here–I’ll be participating for the first time ever in 2008, but I still have to flesh out my list, and Googling terminal illness patients is getting a little depressing. I’ll have to pick it up again later.

I’m so sorry! I just cut & pasted from last year’s document without fully reading the OP!

Let me post it again, without numbers- you can ignore my first post.

Shane MacGowan
James Garner
Olympia Dukakis
Peter O’Toole
Ariel Sharon
Clint Eastwood
Sparky Anderson
Ernie Banks
Kirk Douglas
Margaret Thatcher
Ruth Bader Ginsberg
Eunice Shriver
Annette Funicello

Alternate- Stephen Hawking

sans numbers

1. Mary Tyler Moore (diabetic actress)
  2. Dan Fogleberg (80s pop singer)
  3. Owen Wilson (suicidally-inclined actor)
  4. Kirk Douglas (old actor)
  5. Prince Phillip of Edinburgh
  6. Ryan O’Neal
  7. Jerry Lewis
  8. Bob Barker (I figure he’s got nuttin’ to live for now)
  9. Eunice Kennedy Shriver (sounds like she’s pretty much a given)
  10. Joan Kennedy
  11. Jim McKay (famed sportscaster)
  12. Muhammed Ali
  13. Art Donovan (NFL Hall of Famer, 60s Baltimore Colt)
    Alternates, in case anyone kicks off before January 1st:
  14. Teri Garr
  15. Lindsey Lohan
  16. Queen Elizabeth

Plain version:
Mary Tyler Moore
Dan Fogleberg
Owen Wilson
Kirk Douglas
Prince Phillip of Edinburgh
Ryan O’Neal
Jerry Lewis
Bob Barker
Eunice Kennedy Shriver
Joan Kennedy
Jim McKay
Muhammed Ali
Art Donovan

Britney Spears
Fidel Castro
Ariel Sharon
John Forsythe
Olivia de Havilland
Dick Cheney
Natasha Lyonne
Katie Price
Michael J. Fox
Marianne Faithfull
Russell Watson
Sylvester Stalone
Larry King
Alternates, in case one (or three) of my picks can’t ring in the New Year:

Robert Mondavi
Studs Terkel
Betty Ford

Mikhail Gorbachev
Hank Aaron
Willie Mays
Thomas Pynchon
Raul Castro
Ariel Sharon
John Updike
Peter Orlovsky
Sophia Loren
Woody Allen
E.O. Wilson
Sean Connery
Elizabeth Taylor

Ya know the holiday season or whatever the heck ya wanna call it does not officially begin until it’s time for next year’s Celebrity Death Pool choices to start showin’ up. :smiley:

Mine will be up in a few days as soon as I’m back home from this seemingly endless bidness trip I am in the midst of.

ETA: Thanks to amarone for steppin’ in and taking over.

After scoring only 11 points over the last 12 months, I will try to do better this year.

Fidel Castro --He’s got to go sometime
Bill Cosby --entertained millions, dies and provides more entertainment
Jerry Jeff Walker --Old Outlaw singers never die, they just ride off into the sunset
Merle Haggard – See above
Jimmy Carter – Pres who is due
Willie Nelson --Grim Reaper, don’t touch my Willie unless I can get points
Pat Robertson --just a wish on my part
“Magic” Earvin Johnson --You know why
Jerry Lee Lewis --If you crossed James Dean with a cat you would have Jerry Lee
Joe Paterno --Papa won’t retire, or so he thinks
Moe Bandy --Long shot maybe
Dick Cheney --Bad aim?
Monty Hall --He’s really still alive???

My alternates are now

William Bruce “Axl” Rose
Andy Roony

People, don’t forget amarone asked for a “plain” list!

OK, here we go:

Fidel Castro
Billy Graham
Ariel Sharon
Ruth Bader Ginsberg
Doku Umarov
Ali Khamenei
Ned Vukovic
John Mahoney
US Representative Julia Carson
Paul Kraus
Farrah Fawcett
Orlando Thomas (Minnesota Vikings safety)
Arnold Palmer

Plain format:

Fidel Castro
Billy Graham
Ariel Sharon
Ruth Bader Ginsberg
Doku Umarov
Ali Khamenei
Ned Vukovic
John Mahoney
Julia Carson
Paul Kraus