UK football, season 2008/09, forecasts

Being a Manchester City supporter and therefore a supreme optimist I am expecting that this coming season my team will win…

The FA Cup
The Carling Cup
The Premiership
The UEFA Cup
The all England Conker Championships
The World Subbuteo Cup
The World marbles Championship.

I will however be satisfied with a top 6 finish in the premiership :smiley:

We’ve bought “Jo” at an exorbitant price but he won’t be with us at the start of the season as he’s on Olympic duty with Brazil.

Benjani is injured before a fucking ball has been kicked :frowning:

Now I think about it I’ll be happy if we just avoid relegation. :stuck_out_tongue:

So what expectations do you have for the team of your choice.

I’ll be glad as long as Chelsea fail to win prices. Also, I’m sort of hoping that we won’t be having an all-English Champions’ League final this year.

If Liverpool fail to win the Premiership or Champs League this season, I reckon Torres will be off, and possibly Gerrard.

Benitez too, I’d guess… a second place would be acceptable, but anything else will see players jumping ship.

It’ll be Man Utd again this season, with Ronaldo top scorer.

I would like some mid table mediocrity, but am braced for another relegation fight.a top half finish would be great please.

I fully expect Warnock to annoy the hell out of everyone and get Crystal Palace back into the Premier League next season, just so he can have a go at everyone again.

Fergawdsake, Nooooooooo not those red bastards, please God.

I fully expect Liverpool to do very well and also Wet Spam…for some reason.

The team I really want to see relegated is Fulham, I really detest that shower of shite. If you’ve ever been to Craven Cottage you’ll know why.

The place is the pits

As a Manchester City supporter I’m a total pessimist and reckon we’ll be lucky to finish in the top 10.

The pre-season form has been poor and its beginning to look like the lack of activity in the transfer field is due to Thakasin realising he’s not going to get his assets unfrozen now that his supposed mates had his wife banged up for 3 years on live TV.

Did I read today he’s considering selling up?

So you’re the other one then? :stuck_out_tongue:

TWAOW Nah, just a load of press bollocks, good 'ol Frank wouldn’t let us down :dubious:

We don’t know what you read! :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

Bristol City to have a season the opposite of their last one, with a terrible run of form in the first half leaving them flirting with the relegation zone at Christmas, before a terrific recovery sees them just miss out on a play-off place.

Man U will have a harder fight than last year to retain the Prem, with Arsenal and Liverpool being more consistent, but I think they can make it a hat-trick of titles.

His money remains frozen, his wife got banged up, and even Hughes admits that ‘new investors’ are being sought. You don’t have to be a pessimist to think that ‘Money Still Frozen’ + ‘Wife Banged Up unexpectedly’ + New Investors Sought + Conspicuous Lack of Transfer Activity = Big Problems Looming.

Especially now that transfer prices have gotten bloody ridiculous. We need a good left back, probably two midfielders and a striker just to keep pace with the field. Conservatively that’s £30 million.

This is City - we can screw anything up, even being bought by rich foreign criminals.

I’m a Spurs supporter, but I have no clue how they’ll do this season because of all the new faces.

Ramos’ formations make no sense to me (where’s the midfield ball-winner?), but he knows a lot more about tatics than me and seems to be getting results pre-season. I guess it depends on whether the team can gel together immediately or we get our 10th “season of transition as part of the 5 year plan” in a row.

I think Man United will win it again.

The Times on Monday predicted a 24th place finish in the Championship for Blackpool.

Personally I think this is optimistic.

I see that Bolton have signed Shittu from Watford.

The terrace poets will have a field day

tagos have faith my friend, have faith

I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with for Ars(e)(s)havin(g)

I tried. But then I watched the utterly pathetic showing in the Hamburg friendly and the toothless flailing that was the 2-0 victory over some Faroes village team.

Maybe they’ll do something against Milan to change my mind but I’ve seen nothing to suggest we’re going to do anything more than start like we finished last season.

As an Ipswich fan, I’m resigned to pragmatism. 8th place is my guess, after spending most of the season in the top six. An embarassing defeat in the league cup and an early FA Cup exit are also part of the normal routine.

[QUOTE=tagos]
I tried. But then I watched the utterly pathetic showing in the Hamburg friendly and the toothless flailing that was the 2-0 victory over some Faroes village team.

In all honesty friendlies mean bugger all, as for the Faroes game you have to admit that their goalie had possibly the best game he’ll ever have.

We did have 36 shots ON target and but for the 11 man defence we’d have scored a hatfull.

I don’t think they had ONE corner against us

I think Everton could have a tough season ahead, don’t know too many Blues who are optimistic.

of signings required to improve = 5

of signings required to tread water = 3

of signings actually made = -1

We probably have the smallest squad in Europe right about now. Feelings of melancholy and despair are pretty standard for this time of year though. What is making the gloom unusually thick is the off-pitch activity, an account of which I won’t bore you all with. Suffice to say I like supporting a team who have not yet whored themselves out to a foreign pimp-master, and who play in a ramshackle, falling down stadium in a bleak part of town that is nonetheless the best place to watch a game of football in England. All this may soon change :frowning:

On the bright side, the last time things appeared this bad was in 2004 when we finished 17th, sold Rooney and looked like a disillusioned pub side in pre-season. We then got bent over by Arsenal at home first game IIRC. A miraculous turnaround saw us finish 4th.

Splitting the difference and being realistic: Very good manager + very good defence + 1 proven goal scorer means top half finish. Lack of both strength and creativity in midfield + tiny squad will stop us being competitive with the better teams.

Going for the trebble and with Ronaldo staying, it might actually work out… I’m optimistic :slight_smile:

(hey, there was bound to be someone who’s cheering for Man U)