SDMB All-Pro Fantasy Football

Year 3.

So far we have 11/12 participants from last year returning. Chitwood is the only one who hasn’t. I sent him an e-mail in case he never got the renewal one from yahoo and I’ll give him a few days to sign up. If he doesn’t, we’ll be recruiting 1 person to fill his spot.

Last year’s thread

As usual, I hope to make this the most competitive FF experience you can find on the SDMB, so I’m hoping for a high level of participation even if you’re clearly not going too far in the season. If anyone feels like they can’t at least update their rosters once a week, please step down now so we can replace you. But this is a good group and that shouldn’t be a problem.

As of now, our draft is scheduled for Tuesday, August 26th at 10pm Eastern. If there’s a problem with that it can be changed.

We’re using the same rules so far as last year, but I’m open to tweaking them if anyone has any suggestion. My suggestion is to slightly bump the value of individual return yards - I’d like to see more value added to dual role players like, say, when MJD runs for 90 yards and returns for 60.

Aside from some early griping, and a few mixups/late handling from me, I think our waiver system generally improved the league last year and I suggest bringing it back. What do you guys think?

The reigning champ is in!

I’d think about an adjustment in adding to the points per reception, but I haven’t done any math on determining on whether it’s necessary or beneficial. A standard PPR league gives a full point per reception, though.

Can someone remind me why we don’t use the default waiver system and instead opt for a system where we message the commish about which picks we want? In a lot of ways this seems to be a system that is far from ideal. No offense SenorBeef, as I find you to be an honest person, but the waiver system as it is bestows in one person an awful lot of power that is impossible to check.

Otherwise. all systems go!

There’s no standard waiver system for what we do on yahoo. Yahoo waivers are for players that are cut.

What our system is for is so that, for example, if a big time RB goes down there’s a way to figure out who gets his backup (or some other breakout player) other than whoever is closest to their computer on game day. People don’t want to be thinking “I better run home quick to snatch that guy up” if they’re out at a bar.

If yahoo had a system for treating all free agents as waiver claims from gametime until Tuesday like we did, I’d be happy to use it.

Overall, I think it worked well last year, but I’m open to not using it if that’s what people want.

I liked the way we did the waiver wire last year. In all my other Yahoo leagues if your not home watching sportscenter all Sunday you’re screwed.

Dibs on Chitwood’s spot if he doesn’t want in?

Chitwood signed up after I e-mailed him, sorry. But if anyone needs to step down for some reason you’ll be first on the list.

Alright, we’re drafting tomorrow. I imported the same league rules from last year and all 12 players are returning.

Barring major objection, we’ll be using the same waiver system we used last year (extensively discussed in last year’s thread linked at the top) - yahoo does have an automated system to handle it, but you have to pay some crazy amount ($130+?) for the premium league package to use it.

Hope everyone can make it.

I’ll be there. In my other pay league we use the CBS sportsline premium package. It’s nice, but not really worth the hundred-or-so dollars for it (the commish is a cool guy and pays for it out of pocket :cool: ). Especially now that so many sites include real-time stats for free.

About 50 minutes to go, which is unfortunately the amount of time I get to research the last month’s worth of football news.

Nowish.

Even though I’m not in this league I’m looking forward to seeing the draft results and the breakdowns.

I gotta get in this one next year.

I had the 6th overall pick. Which is exactly the pick I didn’t want, because after the top five RB there is a big drop-off.

1. (6) Randy Moss WR
  2. (19) Terrell Owens WR
  3. (30) Marques Colston WR
  4. (43) Laurence Maroney RB
  5. (54) Tony Gonzalez TE
  6. (67) Matt Forte RB
  7. (78) Marc Bulger QB
  8. (91) DeAngelo Williams RB
  9. (102) Bernard Berrian WR
  10. (115) Chicago DEF
  11. (126) Todd Heap TE
  12. (139) Jon Kitna QB
  13. (150) Nate Kaeding K
  14. (163) Tim Hightower RB
  15. (174) Tampa Bay DEF

After not lucking out with someone taking Moss, or Brady before me my hand was forced by taking the #1 WR. Don’t ask me why a went WR-WR-WR with my first three picks, but I just didn’t feel that there was a worthy RB left. I’m not happy with my lack of RB depth, so I’ll probablly have a WR on the trading block before too long.

My overall pick was number 7.

01.07 (007) Marion Barber…(RB-Dal)
02.14 (018) Darren McFadden…(RB-Oak)
03.07 (031) Derek Anderson…(QB-Cle)
04.14 (042) Anquan Boldin…(WR-Ari)
05.07 (055) Brett Favre…(QB-NYJ)
06.14 (066) Heath Miller…(TE-Pit)
07.07 (079) Laveranues Coles…(WR-NYJ)
08.14 (090) New England…(Def-NE)
09.07 (103) Donte’ Stallworth…(WR-Cle)
10.14 (114) Kevin Jones…(RB-Chi)
11.07 (127) Vince Young…(QB-Ten)
12.14 (138) Warrick Dunn…(RB-TB)
13.07 (151) Benjamin Watson…(TE-NE)
14.14 (162) Jabar Gaffney…(WR-NE)
15.07 (175) Jeff Reed…(K-Pit)

I am not a fan of the middle pick in deeper leagues because it usually forces me to make certain selections a few rounds earlier than I would like to. Overall, I am not too broken up about my picks this year. After spending most of my Sunday mornings last year, playing running back roulette, I decided to make some moves this year that would keep me from having to rely completely on a QB. This year I went for more consistent WRs in Boldin and, to a lesser degree Coles, in addition to at least one steady/balanced RB in Barber. I like my wildcard picks so even though some would not have chanced McFadden, on a team where RB musical chairs was the norm I see nothing wrong with putting some faith in an untested and unproven Rookie. He has as much of a chance as everyone else in the Oak backfield, especially given their shaky and doubtful passing game. Miller at TE was a nice pickup that I expect will provide me with some steady action throughout the season. I never really relied on the TE position too much but last year Cooley (TE-Was) provided me with a steady 7-12 pts each week so I enjoy have that safety net in a normally unstable position. The only downside in my opinion is that I ultimately drafted him over Cotchery (WR-NYJ). I don’t mind having Coles as one of my WRs because of Favre’s presence on the Jets offense. He should provide a nice spark to a very solid receiving core. That is also one of the reasons why I selected Favre as my other QB option. Anderson is coming off of a concussion so his early season performance may not be up to his capabilities. Additionally, Favre will be a nice bargaining chip if I run into some early trouble or find a need to expand my depth at either RB or WR. Outside of McFadden and Favre I will also be watching Dunn very closely. Dunn is an impressive back that I feel was hampered by the Michael Vick era in Atlanta. If he still has it in him he should be able to flourish in Tampa Bay. While I do not expect much of him early on, I would not be surprised to see him making an impact and beginning to share much of the legwork with Graham (RB-TB). To me, the fun of fantasy football is all about the question marks.

1. (3) Adrian Peterson
  2. (22) Peyton Manning
  3. (27) T.J. Houshmandzadeh
  4. (46) Roy Williams
  5. (51) Jason Witten
  6. (70) Selvin Young
  7. (75) Chester Taylor
  8. (94) Derrick Mason
  9. (99) Aaron Rodgers
  10. (118) 	Deuce McAllister

11. (123) 	Ricky Williams

12. (142) 	Vincent Jackson

13. (147) 	Ladell Betts

14. (166) 	Indianapolis

15. (171) 	Kris Brown

Basically forced to pull the trigger on AP, even though I’m not as huge a fan as some. Couldn’t let Peyton drop any farther (let Chitwood have LT, Peyton, and Fitzgerald in the first three rounds? Pass). Always much love for Housh, I had him in every league last year, I have him in every league this year it seems. I wasn’t overwhelmed by anything that was there in the 4th or 5th, so I took the WR2 with the most upside and one of the top TEs. Handcuffs, backups, and upside from there on out. The hardest decision for me was going to be Driver or Chester Taylor in the 7th, but Kid A covered my by taking Driver one pick before mine (sick value on him there by the way). I think I have a pretty decent roster with some depth and some upside… but who the hell knows once the season starts.

The draft is finished! Here’s a recap. (Sorry about how long this is, I go a little overboard)

This season, I thought 10-12 was the worst place to pick, seeing as how in average drafts players I liked were always taken outside of that area. A player may be a great pick at the beginning of round four, but not such a good one at the beginning of round three.

I ended up 12th. Last year I thought 5-8 was the worst place to draft, and if you check back at my analysis last year, I was just about 100% wrong. So, maybe I’ll be just as wrong this time and end up with a strong draft pulling up the rear. My strategy changed though, being 12th. I couldn’t wait for players to fall to me, and I couldn’t avoid potential (or in progress) position runs. I had to start position runs, or anticipate them. That’s really tough.
Picks 1 and 2 - 12 and 13 overall:**
1.12 - Marshawn Lynch, RB (Buf)
I missed out on four of the five players I queued up for this spot, but I wasn’t really expecting any of them. I think Lynch is a good first rounder, but not a great one. He’ll get nearly every Bills’ carry, which is a tremendous value in the era of RB By Committee. I’m just not convinced he gets anything with that Bills’ offense being as bad as it is. If he repeats his 07 stats, I might be okay. I think I really need him to top 200 this season though. He’s the least interesting of all the first rounders.

2.01 - Ryan Grant, RB (GB)
Grant proved last season that he has talent, and like Lynch, he has no vulture to his carries or scores as of yet. Getting two RBs with no timeshare concerns is going to be a big boost to my team, even if I did get arguably the two worst pass catching RBs of the first 20 picks in a PPR league. Grant concerns me though. He’s injured, and he showed just how ineffective he can be when the defense focuses on him and not on the passing game. And by the way, that Favre guy isn’t chucking INTs for GB anymore, so maybe the defense isn’t so concerned with putting that eighth guy in the box. I originally intended to go RB/WR here, but seeing as how the WR pool was deep enough that I could get a legit #1 WR in the third round, I felt Grant was the best value here. If Grant continues what he did at the end of '07, I have an incredibly strong RB duo.

Picks 3 and 4 - 36 and 37 overall:
3.12 - Santonio Holmes, WR (Pit)
I like Santonio Holmes. I think he’s on the upswing, and improving on last year’s stats at all will make him a stud WR. Is 70 catches, 1100 yards and 8-10 TDs out of the question? I say it’s more likely than not, and that’s not much more than he did last year. And this year he’s returning punts too, which adds in a small amount of value. I would have preferred he be my #2, but I didn’t have many other options here. Chad Johnson is hurt and on any given play he’s done for the season (I know everyone is, but especially so for him). Jennings is too TD dependent, and Boldin is causing a stink that could land him on a team with a far worse passing situation.

4.01 - Brandon Marshall, WR (Den):
Marshall is suspended three games as of right now, and while that would normally deter me from drafting him, a couple things changed my mind. He’s very likely to have the suspension dropped to one game, or overturned, which I could completely negate by taking a quality third WR. He has tremendous upside, and Denver doesn’t figure to be very good, forcing them to pass more to keep up with their overrated defense. And he was the last WR, other than Oucho Cinco, to have a good chance of landing in the top 5 at the position. Great value here, and it solidifes my team. It seems to me that a core of Lynch, Grant, Holmes, and Marshall is a strong one to have. No true #1s, but possibly a lot of 1.5s.

Picks 5 and 6 - 60 and 61 overall:
6.12 - Calvin Johnson, WR (Det)
To mitigate the possible loss of Marshall, I took Johnson here as the best available WR. He had am extremely underrated rookie season, and he has done nothing but impress all preseason. He has top 10 potential, and to pick him up in the 6th/7th as a third WR is really great value.

7.01 - Jonathan Stewart, RB (Car):
Up until about a week ago, Stewart was a really popular choice for AP version 2008. Carolina loves to run, they run really well (and will do so better this season), and Stewart is the logical candidate for the scoring chances. I targeted him in every mock I did. And then he got too popular. He started going in the fourth or fifth, sometimes the third. I heard about his bad toe, and I forgot about him. I didn’t like this pick, because I like having a solid, dependable (if limited) RB as my third. I made this pick because I felt like the best available RBs would be gone before I got to pick again, and I needed another top quality player. Stewart isn’t in the best situation, but he has the most upside of the remaining guys.

Picks 7 and 8 - 84 and 85 overall:
7.12 - Matt Schaub, QB (Hou)
I still don’t have a QB at this point, and I’ve drafted two backups over a starter at an important spot. With this league’s scoring rules, QBs are a little less important than normal, so I decided to wait until later. I would have kept waiting if Garrard, Cutler, and Bulger didn’t go in this round. I couldn’t afford to wait anymore, so I nabbed one of the few QBs I really liked heading into the draft. Here’s hoping Andre Johnson stays healthy! At this point I already know who my next QB will be, and I’m taking a calculated gamble on second and third rate QBs.

8.01 - LenDale White, RB (Ten)
I tried so hard to pass up on this pick, but I couldn’t. LenDale White is a starting RB, on a run-run-run-first team, that runs really effectively. Drafting him in the eighth round is really amazing value. He makes my selection of Stewart a lot less risky by comparison, even if Chris Johnson is probably going to split carries 50/50 at worst, by season’s end. All LenDale has to do is repeat 07, and I might have gotten the steal of the draft. No other RB on the board has both the potential for a 1200yd 8TD season AND the opportunity to do it. I don’t think he gets it, but 900 and 6 at this spot is excellent.

Picks 9 and 10 - 108 and 109 overall:
9.12 - Patrick Crayton, WR (Dal)
Something weird started happening at this point in the draft. Every guy I targeted was getting selected as soon as I queued them, even if they were long reaches. I decided to just take who I wanted and be damned if it was a round or two early. Realizing that I had just Holmes, Marshall, and Calvin Megatron Johnson as my WRs, I needed another one. I tend to prefer players with opportunity over those with upside, so Crayton was pretty obvious here.
I don’t understand what’s going on with Crayton and fantasy owners. He was good last season, and now that Glenn is gone, he has the opportunity in one of the best passing offenses in the league. The mysterious lack of love extends into the real NFL, as the 'Boys have been trying to trade for a #2 WR all preseason. Maybe they know something I don’t?

10.01 - Jason Campbell, QB (Was)
I was reaching here, but I couldn’t afford to miss out. I wanted Campbell since the first mock I did, and have gotten him every time. He has been brilliant in the preseason, looking better than probably any other QB. With a new passing offense in Washington, I expect really big things from Campbell. He’s my sleeper this season, I expect a top 8 finish from him barring injury.

Picks 11 and 12 - 132 and 133 overall:
11.12 - L.J. Smith, TE (Phi)
Um… I don’t have a TE? Every single one I liked is gone? What happened? I took LJ here because I didn’t expect Keller to last to my next pick. I take who I want now, remember?
L.J. is a gifted receiver. If not for injuries (to he and McNabb), he would be a top 6 TE by now. With Curtis and Brown hurting, and the passing game in full swing, Smith is really the only viable option McNabb has. But asking for a healthy season from Smith is kinda stupid. I’m stupid, what can I say?

12.01 - Chris Perry, RB (Cin)
Again, a starting RB in the NFL is worth something. To get a starter, and one as talented as Perry, in the 12th is a boon. He’s going to get hurt, and lose carries to Watson, but he’s a deep bench player. I lose nothing here and have everything to gain. Perry has top twenty talent. He stays healthy and he’s a legit starter on a fantasy team.

Picks 13 and 14 - 156 and 157 overall:
13.12 - Philadelphia, Def/ST
Homer time! Philly wasn’t a good fantasy start last season, despite being a top ranked defense all season long. The reason is that they failed miserably to get turnovers, and they have had possibly the worst return game in the league over the last 5 years. With Asante Samuel in town, the INTs should go up, a lot. With DeSean Jackson hopefully not muffing kicks and costing Philadelphia games against teams they had beat, the return game should be markedly better. They might even score a TD! Actually, Jackson is an interesting player… I might keep him in mind…

14.01 - DeSean Jackson, WR (Phi)
… for about ten seconds. Yeah, Jackson has looked great. Yeah, he’s returning kicks as well. Still, I don’t expect much out of him. Curtis is out for 6-8 and Brown is ineffective and hurting, and Jackson STILL can’t start? Really? The only hope for him is later on in the season as he develops and matures, but as soon as he does, Curtis will come back and take his targets. Lots of upside here though, and I always fall prey to an enticing Eagles WR, and every year they burn me. I’ve seen Jackson go as high as the fourth round, by the way. Stupid.

Pick 15 - 180 overall:
15.12 - Mason Crosby, K (GB)
Don’t take kickers before the final round. Ever. Good offense, check. Questionable scoring options, check. Indoor field? Eh, fuck it, two out of three isn’t bad. Won’t matter even if I got the worst kicker in the league.

I look back at this draft and I think I did pretty well, considering I was last in the draft. But this might be because I got a lot of players I like this season, so I see it more positively. So I checked the Yahoo projections for each team and found that mine is, by far, the worst. I’m questionable at QB, relyiing on breakouts years by both candidates. I have two strong RBs, but both have questions and doubts. I have two strong WRs, and my depth is excellent (the best I’ve ever drafted). But I have no #1s, anywhere on the roster. I don’t have a single player, at any position, that is in the top tier of that position. I think that unless my entire team exceeds expectations (never happened in the history of man), I will fall flat on my face for it. I’ve never drafted a more well rounded team, but in order for me to win, I need my entire team to “break out,” something I didn’t consider during the draft. We’ll see if it works out!

Ok, we’re using the same gametime till Tuesday night waiver system as we did last year as far as I know.

Here are the rules:

WAIVER WIRE
All players go on waivers starting at kickoff of their game, and come off Wednesday at midnight. Prior to Wednesday, file waiver claims via email if the player cannot start until next week. (As in, his game was already played.)

PURPOSE
The WAIVER WIRE is in effect so that breakout players don’t get awarded based on who is closest to the computer on Sunday afternoons.

BYE WEEKS
From Wednesday on, if a player is going into a bye week he is not subject to waivers for the entire week. Before Wednesday, players who just had a bye are not subject to waivers and can be signed any time.

MAKING CLAIMS
While players are on waivers, make a claim by emailing the player(s) you want to me. Title your email “Waiver claim”. Include as many players as you like, but list them in order of most wanted first. Include the players’ full first and last names, positions, and teams. I will send back confirmation emails to claims made before the deadline of Midnight on Tuesday Evening/Wednesday morning.

AWARDING PLAYERS
Players will be awarded based on waiver priority, and each successful claim pushes you to the end of the line. After the deadline I’ll post a notification here detailing who got awarded to whom. You can then add the guys you won yourself, as well as freely sign any other free agents not claimed by anyone else. If you won’t be able to make your roster adjustments yourself, I’m happy to do it for you if you let me know in your waiver claim. Include who you want to drop to make room, and also note if you want them to start and who should be benched.

CLAIM JUMPS (Signing a guy while he’s on waivers)
I won’t be locking and unlocking the rosters, but I will be undoing any free agent acquisitions that jump the waiver wire. There is no penalty for jumping the waiver wire other than tipping your hand to everyone else. Claim jumps are automatically logged as waiver claims, and as such any other owners are still free to file a claim on the jumped player(s). If you did not want to spend a waiver claim on a guy you accidentally jumped, email me to let me know.

YAHOO DEFAULT WAIVERS
In addition to Wednesday waivers, yahoo’s internal waiver system also pushes you to the end of waiver priority. The safest approach is to scan a few days back in the transaction history to see if the guy you want was recently released. If he was, then at least be aware that you could lose WP if you sign him. If you accidentally sign someone off waivers without intending to, dropping me an email ASAP will greatly increase your odds of having me undo it for you.

Remember that yahoo waivers take priority over our system. That is, if someone cuts someone on a Saturday and they’re on waivers for 2 days, claim them through yahoo’s waiver system rather than e-mailing me.

My management of this system may be unreliable for the first 2 weeks, I’m still out of town with intermittent internet access, but I’ll do my best. If someone wants to manage the waiver system until I get back home, I’d appreciate it. If you want to do that, post your e-mail address (or say it’s in your profile if it is) and have people e-mail you.

If not, then my e-mail is [my sdmb name] at yahoo.com.

I never realized how much I liked you until I lost you, oh quick reply box.

So my number one pick this year, last year’s top fantasy scorer, was worth 3.8 points to me this year. Whee. If someone wants one of my RBs for a decent QB, throw a trade at me. Kevin Fucking Smith ™ is looking pretty good.

I’m currently holding onto a .95 point lead with Donald Driver left to play. So far he has been shut out…

And just after I typed that sentence, I look to my left and see Driver haul in a pass… whee.
In other close matchups, Frosted Lightning has a reasonable chance of catching Quentin’s Jammers with Darren McFadden, Isotopes and J Cutler aren’t far behind Ellis Dee and Tony Sheffler, and Kiros has a chance of catching Retrovertigo with Peterson and Selvin Young.

Just got back. Waiver stuff will be resolved within 15 minutes. Look for announcements in the league message area.

Ok, waiver wins were assigned. Jammers won Cassel (bastard), Tazmanian Devils won Jenkins, and No use for a name won Royal.

I manually put Cassel on Quentin’s team because he was on another team, but the rest of you feel free to sign your waiver wins yourself. I can do it if you’d like, but for some reason, while yahoo has a smooth and fast player selection menu when entering draft results, their menu for handling adding players to rosters manually gives you a giant dropdown list of every available player in the NFL.

It’s the very worst possible UI design. First, there’s over 1000 items in the dropdown. That’s terrible design 101.

But even worse, the players are in alphabetical order by last name, yet displayed First Name Last Name. For example, the first five entries are:

Joseph Addai (Ind - RB)
Sam Aiken (NE - WR)
Eric Ainge (NYJ - QB)
David Akers (Phi - K)
Zac Alcorn (Sea - TE)

There are two different types of combo boxes: Simple and Complex. A complex combobox lets you type in whatever text you like. Nicer versions will autocomplete as you type using the first match found, and/or limit what you’re allowed to type based on what’s in the list. A simple combobox does not let you type any text; all you can do is press a letter, and it will select the next entry starting with that letter. Hit a letter multiple times to scroll through the options starting with that letter.

The numbskulls over at yahoo made this a simple combobox, but broke all the rules by not putting the sorted data first. So if you want, say, Philip Rivers:[list=#][li]Use the mouse to scroll down until you find any player with a last name that starts with the letter before the one you’re looking for. In this example we want Rivers, so scroll down to the "P"s. (There aren’t enough "Q"s to be selectable in such a crowded dropdown.)[/li][li]Select any one of the names of the appropriate letter from step 1.[/li][*]Now start repeatedly pressing the first letter of the first name of the guy you actually want. In this case, that’s “P” for “Philip.” Go slowly! If you accidentally pass him, you have to start over.[/list]I mean, really, this takes bad design to a whole new level. It should win an award or something.