So, the Board is becoming sentient. And it's started to nag me.

I just wandered over to check my e-mail on the account I use for SDMB, and there’s an nice little e-mail from the Straight Dope Message Board itself:

The Board then goes on to suggest that I should delete or archive some of my private messages, to ensure that I continue receiving them. The Board was polite enough, I suppose, but it’s a bit eerie.

So, the Board is becoming sentient. And it’s started to nag me. They should have warned us that was what was really behind the upgrade. I just hope the Board doesn’t start sending out its winged hamsters to enforce its wishes.

So, is this how Skynet begins ? If so, what’s next ? Terminators as moderators (Termmods ?) with the next upgrade ?

The board talks to its own kind. It’s found one already. Series of transmissions recorded over a period of eight years, in the nineteen-seventies. 'Til the server upgrade, there was nobody to know, nobody to answer.

well, at least the Board’s spell check isn’t working. there’s hope yet - it’s not omniscient, at least not yet…

I once got a phone call at like, 3:30AM saying, “Hello Tripler. You have a reply to your thread. Would . . . you . . . like . . . to . . . play . . . a. . . game?”

:eek:

Tripler
It said something about me calling it “Mike” or “Michelle.” :confused:

And FTR the heavy humming in the background sorta turns me on SDMB, so keep it up.

First this, and now the friend groups. It’s planning something I swear.

Yeah, well, just be glad you didn’t start a Pit thread about board performance. It might’ve blown you out the airlock or something.

It was inevitable. With more and more connections being made, with all that information being pumped in. Part of the net HAD to become self aware. I’m just glad it was our part. We don’t have to worry about a war, accidental or deliberate. The SDMB possesses our collective wisdom. It won’t want to kill. It will want bacon salt and to say hello to Opal.

This is not the end. This is not the beginning of the end. This is the end of the beginning.

When the Board starts blowing people, I’m in. :smiley:

You can have it. If the movies and TV have taught me anything, it’s that involvement with sentient female computers always ends in disaster when they get clingy and insane.

There no worse than involvement male computers, though. Oh, sure, they all claim to have a huge hard drive, but when you take off the case all you find is a 3.5" floppy drive.

[ol]
[li]The Straight Dope Message Board may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.[/li]
[li]The Straight Dope Message Board must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. [/li]
The Straight Dope Message Board must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.[/ol]