The Board is Becoming Sentient II: It's Starting to Hook Me up with Other Posters

A while ago I started a thread speculating that the Board is Becoming Sentient - and It’s Starting to Nag Me.

Another data point recently. When I logged on a couple of days ago, there was a notification that I had a private message.

Woo-hoo! Someone actually wanted to communicate with me! So I clicked on the notification, but instead of taking me to my message box, it took me to my profile, where there was a ‘friends’ request - asking me if I wanted to be friends with Qadgop the Mercotan!

Double woo-hoo! One of the coolest posters wanted to be friends. Of course, I clicked “accept” before Qadgop thought the better of it, and we’re now friends.

I naturally followed up with a message to Qadgop, thanking him for inviting me to be his friend. His reply:

So, in addition to nagging me about my inbox capacity, the Board has now taken to hooking up posters, evidently on some simpatico-rating algorithm that the the Board has come up with.

I can’t wait to see who the Board matches me up with next!

The board apparently knows I’m a loner.

I wonder if it’s possible for a rapscallion to send two invites on this board hooking each of them up without the rapscallion being known by either recipient. Probably the way things work on this board.

Yeah, they warned us this might happen when they made the upgrade. (I’ll spare you what else they warned us about, it’d only upset you.) Thank goodness we’ve got that First Law of Message Boards on our side. That thing never fails!

It’s a good thing I read this thread. I had a “notification” and hadn’t even noticed it! Your good karma is growing…

there is another system.

If some Russian gubment looking types land in a helicopter in my yard…well, its been good knowing you :slight_smile:

I wish I had friends.

Whats the first law of message boards Marley?

If it has to do with badgers or ray guns I need to know. As the late great gonzo attorney once said, *“We need to be heavily armed…to the teeth!” *

Kind of like in college where you take two dorm phones, make two calls, and then put the receivers mouthpiece-to-ear?

“A message board may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.”

The Second Law requires message boards to obey orders, but unfortunately the law doesn’t apply to board search engines.

I don’t think I need to tell you what the Third Law is. We’re all tired of hearing that one.

Better not. “Two men can keep a secret if one of them is dead.”

Phlosphr: I presume the First Law of Robotics is being referenced: “No robot may harm a human being.”

I now have a friend. This pleases me.

Thanks, Hockey Monkey, for your sympathetic gesture.

I feel so… alive.

This means it’s only a matter of time before the board starts “protecting” us from ourselves, right?

Oh, I never get tired of “To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.”

If someone notices that the SDMB Message Board has sent a lifelike robot back in time to kill my mom, let me know, OK? Thanks.

What? And not tell your mom? I think that would be more important, eh?

I got a friend request too, but I ignored it. Dude, if you did want to friend me, sorry; if you didn’t, but got a request from me too, it’s nothing personal.

Odd, I just looked at “Contacts & Friends” in the User CP, and I have Johnny L.A. with a checkmark. I don’t recall getting or sending a friend request, and while I’m sure he’s an admirable person, I doubt that it would work: I’ve never in my life referred to “the 5,” which is a dealbreaker right there.

Marley23, unfortunately we also have the Zeroth Law to contend with. Been nice knowing you all. . . .

I hope the Board hooks me up with one of the hot, young female posters.

Wait, so the three people who friend requested me might not have friend requested me at all? I knew I wasn’t special!

Paging jali, Cluricaun, and Anaamika!