Futurama - Bender's Game

The series was great, Bender’s Big Score was funny, and Beast with a Billion Backs was passable. Bender’s Game - AWFUL. There may be one chuckle-worthy moment in the whole thing, but that may be attributable to gas. The plot revolves around D & D and an analogy to rising gasoline prices.

It comes out Nov. 4, but there’s a complete plot summary over at Wiki. Has anyone else seen this and/or found it remotely funny?

I think it had its moments. I always like The Scary Door, and this one was pretty good. The plot was attrocious and the analogy as subtle as a cordless drill to the eyeball, but since when has that mattered for Futurama?

Not the greatest of the series, but well worth watching.

It was better than Beast With a Billion Backs and liked most of it. The fantasy stuff dragged on way too long for me though.

Since I didn’t like either of the previous two efforts, I will be looking at this one with a very critical eye (and I’ll probably Netflix it). The “dragged on” thing was one of the major problems with BBB & BWaBB; trying to stretch an episode-length concept to 80 minutes just wrecked a lot of the comic timing and left a bunch of filler in its wake.

I preferred it to Beast with a Billion Backs, and I did enjoy the reference to the Tom Hanks movie Mazes and Monsters Mazes and Monsters (TV Movie 1982) - IMDb

I may be giving it a free ride though because compared to the movie I had seen just prior (Feast II) it was perfection encapsulated.

OK, I liked this one and found it the funniest of the three movies thus far. Pacing problems have been mostly fixed (still the last 15 minutes feel draggy) The jokes came in fast and furious. I like the excessive gore…

At first I figured The D&D angle wouldn’t work but to my surprise it did.
The Big secret was pretty obvious but the way they revealed it was worth it.

Favorite moment, attack of the Morcs in the cave

“I’m an Owl exterminator”

I liked this one best of the three. I felt it dragged a bit in the middle, but there were still more funny moments than the previous two. The first 20 minutes was almost as consistently funny as any episode.

I finally watched it last night and I agree - best of the movies so far.

Well, I enjoyed the heck out of this one. While it still has some pacing issues, it’s much better than the first two, and has by far some of the funniest moments in the whole series, let alone the movies.

Specifically,

Early on in the fantasy setting the crew is going through some sort of forest.
Leela, looking at something off-screen: Hey, is that a hobbit?
Bender: (Looks) Naw, that’s just a hobo and a rabbit … but they’re making a hobbit.
I had to pause the DVD at that point because I was literally on the floor laughing. It took me a good ten minutes to catch my breath.

Seriously, don’t read that spoiler if you haven’t seen the movie. Timing is everything.

I did exactly the same thing.

I enjoyed this one the most so far. There were a lot of funny lines, and I was thrilled that Mom had so much screen time.

No heart. Very little funny.

The funniest part was probably the subtle reference to the fact that females don’t like the 3 stooges and males do.

If they’re relying on the popularity of these movies to bring the series back, the next one better be fucking EPIC, or we’re in trouble.

Stop.
Hammer time.

Somebody else liked the exact same scene.

Guess who?

I finally picked this up, and enjoyed it, though not as much as BWABB, my favorite of the three so far.

I thought the fantasy part dragged it down, but then I’ve never been a big fan of fantasy. Funniest moment for me was the killbot “what did he say?” gag. I also liked that they acknowledged Nibbler not wiping their minds aftere BBS, and answered why Nibbler was on the dying planet in one of the earlier episodes.

Any word on the, well, future of Futurama after the 4th movie?

Also, listening the the commentary, they mentioned that the series of numbers the spaceship flew through during the opening yellow submarine number was meaningful, and suggested googling a string of the numbers. I didn’t get any meaningful results. Anyone else have any idea what that could be?

So yeah. I’ve been sitting on this for a while and I find myself really enjoying it far more than I thought I would. I really dislike fantasy settings, but this was still enjoyable to me.

I don’t know if I’m capable of being honestly critical of Futurama. After all, bad Futurama is a lot better than a lot of other stuff. But in the end, it’s still Futurama, so it’s good.

But I find myself wanting to watch this one over and over, when I was pretty much tapped out of the first two movies almost instantly.

I liked the knife bit a lot, and especially how Bender recognized what kind it was before Fry threw it at him.

We also stopped the DVD for this line. And have been repeating it endlessly ever since.

Much more episodic than the previous two movies - it’s funny that it seemed so much like a ‘typical’ Futurama for the first half and then the D&D parody kicked in - but very funny in places. I thought the “third” section had the best jokes. I believe that’s where the hobbit joke was, and also the line “instead of science, we believe in crazy hocus pocus… it’s like Kansas,” which had me in stitches. I also found myself wondering if they put in the “Economic Downturn” gag at the last second. (For some reason I also found “Waltazar” very amusing.)

This one didn’t really show you anything new about the characters, so that made it feel a little less consequential than the last two movies. But if you take it for what it is I think it’s really funny. I hope “Wild Green Yonder” feels more weighty, though.

Oh, and I was disappointed with the “Wipe Castle” joke. At first I thought they were all saying “White Castle,” and I think that would’ve been funnier as a parody of the grandiose setting in Lord of the Rings. Turning it into a toilet thing diluted the joke.

How many people think that it is too soon for me to use the hobo/rabbit joke in my sig?

On White Castle… (paraphrased)

“You can eat like eight of them without gaining any weight”

“Cause of the diarrhea and all”

I saw this today, and I was less impressed that the first two Futurama movies, but it was still entertaining. Part of the reason this movie was less enjoyable than the first two may have been due to the fact that there are five credited writers, as opposed to the only two that wrote the first ones. The line that made me laugh out loud was:

In the end it was not guns or bombs that destroyed the aliens but the most noble of God’s creatures…the tyrannosaurus rex.

One thing I didn’t understand:

Why or how exactly did Bender’s imagination collapse after Mom got the anti-matter crystal? It would have made more sense for the (clever) “reunification” to occur during the fantasy sequence, making the destruction of the two crystals to be the cause of the destruction of Bender’s imaginary world, rather than Mom getting the anti-matter crystal in the fantasy world. If she obtained it in that world, why wouldn’t she not still have it in the real world? Isn’t it the same crystal, only it actually has powers in the fantasy world?

(Also, the fact that the price of gas is now going down is makes the theme of the movie somewhat less relevant.)