Acronyms in common use with multiple meanings

A current thread is dealing with AWB (Assault Weapons Ban) and I assumed (before the mouseover) that is was about Average White Band(showing my age, I’m sure). Thus this thread. AWB (second sense) may not qualify for the title’s “common use” stipulation, but at least it’s an example.

Got some good ones of your own?

IRA can be an Individual Retirement Account or the Irish Republican Army or the Illinois Restaurant Association.

I thought Average White Band too!

PDA can be a Personal Digital Assistant or a Public Display of Affection.

CBT can be cognitive behavioral therapy or…:eek:

My first thought was also that AWB = Average White Band.

My contribution: “T.O.” can mean either Terrell Owens or the city of Toronto. I’m unsure how Toronto got known as “T.O.” (perhaps from “Toronto, Ontario”?), and I’m aware that most sports fans would immediately think of Owens when they heard “T.O.” But to me, as a former resident of T.O. and as a sports fan who has watched T.O. play, it’s another example for the OP.

In the UK STD also stands for Subscriber Trunk Dialling . Actually that is rather an old-fashioned term, it first came into use in the 1970’s. Now, because this system is universal, and everyone “dials” long distance calls, it’s very rarely used.

CPA Certified Public Accountant…Car Park Attendant

I know it’s frowned on as an authentic place to check such stuff out, but Urban Dictionary can at least provide some humor.

The definition of Cognitive Behavorial Theory is vague but it seems to involve treatment of dysfunctional emotions with stimuli that help bring about a desired behavior or feeling. It can be done one-on-one, in groups or as self-treatment.

How is this different from the other CBT? :wink:

ADA is the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and also the American Dental Association

POS can be Point Of Sale (as in cash register software) or Piece Of Shit. Or both at once!

CD can be Compact Disc or Certificate of Deposit.

ATM can be Automatic Teller Machine or Asynchronous Transfer Mode.

AP can mean “Associated Press,” “Assistant Principal,” or “Assistant Producer.”

RAF can mean Royal Air Force, or, particularly in Germany, Red Army Faction. When I was little, I was a little bit shocked to find a ‘RAF’ entry in my parents’ telephone register next to a name – turns out it was a friend of my father from his time in GB.

Computer Based Training?

MLS can also stand for Multiple Listing Service or Major League Soccer.

In the UK, CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training, which is the first step in obtaining a motorcycle licence. Can you enlighten me as to the other definition?

ETA: I see that Rick may have answered my question.

So which one are you? :wink:

Neither, but I’ll never tell what the initials really stand for.

Time out for a trivia snapshot:

Acronyms in common use with multiple meanings
Zeldar Today 12:00 PM
by Zeldar 16 97 Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

In another thread dealing with thread statistics the issue of tight Reply/Post ratios was presented as something to keep an eye out for.

At least for one bright shining moment, this thread has/had both figures in the two-digit range. There is a God!

As you were. Carry on…

I was tempted to reveal some personal data on my own initials but prudence prevailed. Now that Google is putting all this out for the unwashed masses to glom on, I want to be sure I don’t add to my exposure any more than I already have over the past 15 or so years.