The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 05-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Good Nicknames, Bad Nicknames

The only nickname I've ever really had that stuck was my Army nickname, "Yonez," which was a play on my name. (On my first day, the not-very-bright guy calling the roll couldn't pronounce "Jones." No, I'm serious.) That's a pretty mundane nickname.

It occurred to me that there are many nicknames I would not mind having, and many I would not.

GOOD:

Night Train
The Hammer of God
The Womansexer
Rocket
Mister Awesome

BAD:

Ol' Shitty-Pants
Stonebrains
The Sheepsexer
Cocknose
Mister Awful

Your ideas?
Advertisements  
Old 05-22-2009, 02:29 PM

In college I was The Unit. I was in the cafeteria and had just loaded up my tray and was looking for my friends. Apparently the way I was moving around made me look a little robotic.

Acceptable:

T-Bone
T-Dog
The Dude

Unacceptable:

Koko the Dancing Chimp
Princess Sophia
Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM

I'm Atomic Mama. Called "Atomic" for short. It's my volunteer blues DJ name. Self-chosen, due to an interesting and peculiar set of circumstances.

Also nicknamed "Amy" - short for Amelia.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:45 PM

The only non-given-name-derived nickname I've had is One Day Fish Sale. Doesn't really get used much in real life, only on message boards and the like. It was given to me by a friend with inspiration from a newspaper ad after I expressed disappointment with not having a cool nickname.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
SDSAB

Good for a guy:

Spike
Mack Daddy
Bones
Godzilla
Honcho

Bad for a guy:

Princess
Milady
Mr. Delicate
Wussy
Zero
Old 05-22-2009, 03:51 PM

I wish I had a cool nickname. Guys seem so prone to giving and getting nicknames, at least in the circles I run with- Bail-out Bob, Digger, Dutch, etc.

I've been called Poop Turkey by one friend for years (that's a long story I won't be getting into) but thankfully it didn't spread. And I had a fling that called me Crazy Legs when I expressed my disappointment in the nickname department.

I don't know what I'd want to be called, though. Giving yourself a nickname (outside of message boards and the like) isn't cool.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:54 PM

My name is Jett, and I've been "Jettboy" since I was a kid; I don't love it, I don't hate it. My middle name is Vincent, and for a while I had a few friendly assholes try to get "Vinnie" to stick as a nickname. Now, that shit I hated.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:08 PM

I was called "Sugar Bear" for some reason while I was in Boy Scouts. It was cute until, you know, puberty.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The only nickname I've ever really had that stuck was my Army nickname, "Yonez," which was a play on my name. (On my first day, the not-very-bright guy calling the roll couldn't pronounce "Jones." No, I'm serious.)
Ricardo Yonez?

A friend sometimes calls me Fetus because he once heard my father call me that. Now that I think about it, it could have made a good message board name, but it was already taken when I started posting here anyway.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Good
Hammer
Chainsaw
Slick
Professor

Bad
Hamburglar
Jigsaw
Oil Slick
Chalk-for-brains
Old 05-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Good
Killer
Dutch
Marco

Bad
O.J.
Swede
Marky-Mark
Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Bad
Moose

Fred Frimple

Miss OCD

Booger Picker (No, I do NOT pick my nose. That's why that one annoys me more than all of them.)

Good
The Burl (I once threw a guy over a fence. Actually he ran at me and I pushed him and it was by pure luck that he lost his balance and went over the fence.)

Rattlesnake (The only person who ever called me that is an old boyfriend. To this day he calls me that. I like it, it's a cool nickname, but nobody else will call me that, even when I beg.)
Old 05-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creaky View Post
Bad
Moose

Fred Frimple

Miss OCD

Booger Picker (No, I do NOT pick my nose. That's why that one annoys me more than all of them.)

Good
The Burl (I once threw a guy over a fence. Actually he ran at me and I pushed him and it was by pure luck that he lost his balance and went over the fence.)

Rattlesnake (The only person who ever called me that is an old boyfriend. To this day he calls me that. I like it, it's a cool nickname, but nobody else will call me that, even when I beg.)
Hey rattlesnake, how is it going?

Good
Rick
Bad
Dick
Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Hey rattlesnake, how is it going?
Finally!

Thank you!

Validation is sweet indeed.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:28 PM

I get called GrammarNazi. I'm not sure if that's bad or good.

Bad
"Jugs" I was fourteen.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Good:
Hojo
Brawny Lad
Stuckey

Bad:
Dilly bar
Friendly Fribble
Pecan log
Old 05-22-2009, 06:40 PM

One of the weirder ones I ever encountered was a friend of mine in college. There were two Jo(h)ns among our group; so they started out as "H" and "No h". Then there came a girl H liked. He asked her out, and she responded with something to the effect of, "You're a really nice guy, but you have the sex appeal of a bagel."

From that day onward, he was Bagel. He even introduced himself that way.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Bad
Moose
My brother went by Moose at his camp.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
My brother went by Moose at his camp.
I hope that for him it was a good nickname!

I got called Moose because I was always bigger and taller than the other girls at my school. Man, I hated that nickname. Even my dad called me that. He still does but I don't hold it against him.

Actually at my camp my nickname was Huck because I was really into the book Huckleberry Finn. I liked that!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:51 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my friend Penis. (He was the one who called me Poop Turkey) Everyone called him that because he was a dick.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 AM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Yeah Moose isn't such a good nickname for a girl. Were you aware of the 80's TV character on You Can't Do That on Television called Moose, Creaky? I never thought she was particularly big at all.

My friend Chris's group of friends have all got nicknames and they are all really quality. For the most part they have stuck, going on over 20 years:

Foley
Coach
Sweetriver
Leroy

The one that sucks, and didn't really stick:
ShitShoe
Old 05-23-2009, 12:27 AM

Good

Nettie (a family friend shortened his previous nickname for me, which was clarinette)
Spike (my best friend says I remind him of Adorabelle Dearheart from Discworld)
Claribelle (sounds like a deranged clown to me but I still like it)

Bad

Juggernaut (um, a coworker came up with this one. I am well-endowed. I didn't mind this one but in the wrong company could get someone in trouble)
Clarinette
Old 05-23-2009, 12:48 AM

The only nickname I ever had was Satan. I could live with it.

Bad:
Cottonballs
Old 05-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

After a nice hangover last weekend, I just received the nickname "Rum Boy." I hope that one doesn't last.

A couple off friends of mine had the nicknames Rat (because of his skinny pointy rat like face), and Vuh (Va?), it the V sound followed by the soft U sound like in the word UP. Vuh? I don't know how you'd spell it.

My brothers middle name is Derby. He's been known as Derb for as long as I can remember. Even my mom and dad call him Derb. My real first name is Bob. You can imagine how much I loved it when one creative friend of ours called my brother and me: OrDerb & ShishkaBob.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Dances, prances

When I was a preteen at a co-ed summer camp, there was a dorky guy that the other guys nicknamed Anus. This was around the time of The Dukes of Hazard, so I *think* most of us girls thought they were calling him "Enis." Or at least that's what I prefer to believe. At the time I was a little fuzzy on exactly what "anus" meant, but it was fairly obvious from the way the boys called him that it wasn't precisely a compliment.

So, Bad = Anus

Another year at camp, I was nicknamed Al, which is sort of tepid, if you ask me. Through the years I've been called "Elle," which is think is rather elegant if unimaginative.

In high school, a guy in my group was nicknamed Horny. Yes, I was nauseated by this. At the time, he said, "just think when we get older, how cool it will be, looking back, that I was nicknamed Horny in high school!"

I need to ask him if he still feels this way. We're in our mid-40s and he's a physician.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:55 AM

People don't tend to give me nicknames. The closest one I have to a nickname is people often call me "big guy." I am a big man, but there are usually bigger men anywhere I go.

My one boss said that I have a "big personality." I'm not sure what that means or if it is a compliment.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:58 AM

I was once Fuck Man. Not in a good way, if you can believe it.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnuckiputzi View Post
I get called GrammarNazi. I'm not sure if that's bad or good.
See if the ones who call you "GrammarNazi" are willing to change to calling you "Conan the Grammarian." That's a nickname I picked up some years ago, and I think it's a good one. Gets the point across without any of those Nazi associations.

Other than that, and my username, I don't seem to get any nicknames, good or bad. I'm not counting the many times "Buddy," "Pal," and "You There" (or similar) have been used, though.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Other than that, and my username, I don't seem to get any nicknames, good or bad. I'm not counting the many times "Buddy," "Pal," and "You There" (or similar) have been used, though.
Me neither. I was amused the other day, though, when a stranger called me "Chief" for the first time in my life. If I recall, the exchange went:

"Hey, Chief, you got any toilet paper in your stall?"
"Um...no, sorry" Damn.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:58 PM

The Good:

Ebie Jones

Ebie Bones Jones

Ebie-ana Jones

The Bad:

Eeyore

Venus With A Penis

Guess which one my mom "accidentally" called me by in front of my best friend when I was six...

Last edited by bleu ewe; 05-23-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Old 05-23-2009, 03:54 PM

I worked tech in a theatre for years. We had some doozies of nicknames there.

One production we had too many damn Mikes backstage, and as the stage manager I made the executive decision that I was tired of differentiating between them AND the body mics, so we assigned them all new names. One became Mac (derived from his last name), one became Kale, one became MJ (his initials), and one became Herman. I was out of nicknames by that point.

The girl who accidentally gave herself a shock with a 220v outlet became, forever, "Sparky."

The other stage manager, who I later started dating, was actually named Dan but for some reason called "Peaches," which was not a fantastic sign of masculinity. I was definitely the dominant one in that pairing, and I got myself plenty of nicknames. To my face I was "the boss," but behind my back I was "the slave driver," "the bitch," and many many many other unflattering nicknames.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:05 PM

I gave a friend and former co-worker a great nickname: "Biscuit".

He hated, hated it. And I didn't need to even keep bugging him with it. All of the guys in the plant loved it immediately, so whenever he'd be in manufacturing land they guys would all call out "Hey! Biscuit! What's happening?"
Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 PM

I used to know a girl nicknamed Biscuit- but it was because she was "one biscuit away from maximum density." Not very nice...

My brother's nick in the Rangers was SAW God. Yep, he carried the Big One.

Last edited by Moirai; 05-23-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Old 05-24-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu ewe View Post
The Good:

Ebie Jones

Ebie Bones Jones

Ebie-ana Jones

The Bad:

Eeyore

Venus With A Penis

Guess which one my mom "accidentally" called me by in front of my best friend when I was six...
I'm guessing it was not Venus With A Penis.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Bad for a guy:
Zero

That's one of my nicknames and I like it, along with One and Z.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Good:

B.
Beefy
buff
Foo

Bad:

Beffy
Bootsy

Names I've given:

Roy
Testecclesiastes
Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 PM

In high school people called me "Jesus Christ" because whenever I walked into a room everyone said "Oh, Jesus Christ" and ran out of the room.

Yeah I wasn't liked in high school (also fortunately it didn't stick long).

The only other nickname I've ever had was Teacups, thanks to my floormates in college. Which I enjoy.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:56 PM

I've had only two nicknames that I can recall. Good: Reagllag (yes, in real life, that's where the tag came from). Bad: Rat. It came from a haircut, and least it was better 'Rowboat'.

Bad ones I've heard:
Rowboat
Pickle Kid
Fat Boy

Good ones I've heard:
Battleship (Rowboat's big brother)
Mad Axe [lastname]
The Saber
Diesel Joe
Old 05-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

A guy in my college dorm was Reggie to the point that I can't think of his real name right now. This was because he struck out so much with women, supposedly, although he was good looking enough that he must have been putting out awkward vibes if he really had trouble.

I got Flavor, and a buddy got Phonics, because he started saying words with F in the front, and Dave became Fave, which reminded everyone of Flavor Flave, and he was Jon, so that was Fon. I got called Flavor occasionally for years.

A student of mine (a boy) got called Dorie, because someone on the freshman football team noticed he looked a little like the fish Dorie from Finding Nemo. He just let them do it (with surprising maturity). I told him that protesting would only make it stick harder.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 AM

Never got a lot of nicknames, especially not ones that stuck. My family called me "chacho" for a long time until my mom once yelled it trying to find me in a supermarket and I realized that I was done with it. I think I was 14 or something. So that one gets the bad label. The only good one I ever got was with my friday night basketball buddies, who all called me Phenom. I love that nickname.

Last edited by Jules Andre; 05-25-2009 at 04:22 AM..
Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Bad for a guy:

Zero
This has potential. You just have to own it.

I always liked Mr. Fahrenheit from Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now". Only problem is there was an actually Mr. Fahrenheit, though being a physicist, he was likely a doctor -- which only sounds cooler!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Charter Member

Never had many nicknames--the only one that stuck is Rat, short for "Ratmonger." Long story involving my gaming club in college. I like it--to this day, more than 20 years later, most of my gamer geek friends call me Rat or Rattus.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
See if the ones who call you "GrammarNazi" are willing to change to calling you "Conan the Grammarian." That's a nickname I picked up some years ago, and I think it's a good one. Gets the point across without any of those Nazi associations.
Spoons and I used to work together. He was Conan the Grammarian, I was Punctuation Boy, and our co-worker was Scansion Girl. We had weird tech-writer senses of humour, and should have been a superhero team or something.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:54 PM

My brother's favourite nickname for me was (and stilll is) "useless" - yeah nice.
At university I was known as (real first name) the vege (At a rural university I was one of the few vegetarians)
If you were to visit my home town and ask for the "Madrabbitwoman" there is a 50/50 chance they could direct you to me. I also go by (dad's fisrt name/job description) daughter - everyone here knows my dad.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I hope that for him it was a good nickname!

I got called Moose because I was always bigger and taller than the other girls at my school. Man, I hated that nickname. Even my dad called me that. He still does but I don't hold it against him.
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were a girl. I guess it is bad if you're XX.

My dad has nicknames for all of us, including the family pets:

Oldest Sister- Special. Possibly having to do with the fact that she's autistic. He hasn't used it in years.
Me- Treasure. Also T for short. Also O And O (for One and Only). It's a tossup whether he'll use my name or nickname.
Younger Brother: Precious. Fortunately for Bro's sake, he hasn't used it in years.
Youngest Brother: Cool Guy. Nine times out of ten, he'll call for "Cool".
The cats: Mystery is Squeaky. Tikva is Tickles. He will not admit the existance of their real names. It's always Squeaky and Tikcles.

ETA: "Moose" says he got the name because his fellow campers were "Goose" and "Zeus". He is not, I should add, moose-like in any way.

Last edited by Malleus, Incus, Stapes!; 05-25-2009 at 09:13 PM..
Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

I've never had a nickname that stuck either. I had one coworker back in Ontario that called me Ed, when he realised that would be my initials if I took my husband's name (which I didn't do), and I liked that, but he was the only one to use it and I don't see him anymore.

My father calls all three of us kids "Blue eyes", but that's just at home. It's actually confusing, because no one knows who he's talking to when he says that.

My husband went by his last name (I'm not gonna post it, as it's distinctive) during most of his undergrad, as his first name is French and Ontarians had trouble with it, despite the fact that he is fine with the English equivalent name and uses it when he knows people don't speak French. He also responds to diminutives of his first name, but they are rather obvious.

We just aren't nickname people, I guess.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsGirl View Post
I used to know a girl nicknamed Biscuit- but it was because she was "one biscuit away from maximum density." Not very nice.....
I understand it less with the explanation than without.

I've been called "bear" a couple of times in my life, but no one currently uses it. I expect because I'm bug and grumpy.

And the eternal "Jimbo" -- meh.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Where I work we sometimes deal with a customer called "Aaron" who insists on being called "Ace".

Always makes me think of Red Dwarf - Ace Rimmer / Ace Hole.

A Bad nickname.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 PM

Bad - We have a couple of friends who nicknamed themselves Scum Bag and Crud (and had their license plates vanitized!!!). We've since gotten them to back off the names. They're just all kinds of wrong.

Good - I am Kalhoun in real life because Crud just met me and ordered a prescription and couldn't remember my name. He told the pharmacist he thought my name was Kalhoun.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 PM

YAY!

I have a reason to tell a story I heard this weekend.

At my friends cottage at a blue collar lake, which is refered to by the weekenders as White Trash Utopia.. If you live on the lake ( either full time or summer time) you have more money than the townies. The townies are mostly inbred alcoholics of the very scary kind. You can buy a 'house' on any of the sidestreets ranging in price from $20k to about $50k. The guy that lived in the battered mobile home built in the sixties next door to a friend was referred to as Grilled Jamie.

Jamie, it seems was a stoner. On any day above 50 degrees, it was said you could get a contact high from the open windows from Jamie's aluminum castle.

A stoner with some heart problems.

He had a heart attack over the stove and died, chest down, atop it.

It was a week before anyone realized he was dead. (Apparently the stove top was on warm or something, as the place didn't catch on fire.)

His nickname and the bong fumes still live on in the neighborhood.