Good Nicknames, Bad Nicknames

The only nickname I’ve ever really had that stuck was my Army nickname, “Yonez,” which was a play on my name. (On my first day, the not-very-bright guy calling the roll couldn’t pronounce “Jones.” No, I’m serious.) That’s a pretty mundane nickname.

It occurred to me that there are many nicknames I would not mind having, and many I would not.

GOOD:

Night Train
The Hammer of God
The Womansexer
Rocket
Mister Awesome

BAD:

Ol’ Shitty-Pants
Stonebrains
The Sheepsexer
Cocknose
Mister Awful
Your ideas?

In college I was The Unit. I was in the cafeteria and had just loaded up my tray and was looking for my friends. Apparently the way I was moving around made me look a little robotic.

Acceptable:

T-Bone
T-Dog
The Dude

Unacceptable:

Koko the Dancing Chimp
Princess Sophia

I’m Atomic Mama. :eek: Called “Atomic” for short. It’s my volunteer blues DJ name. Self-chosen, due to an interesting and peculiar set of circumstances.

Also nicknamed “Amy” - short for Amelia. :confused:

The only non-given-name-derived nickname I’ve had is One Day Fish Sale. Doesn’t really get used much in real life, only on message boards and the like. It was given to me by a friend with inspiration from a newspaper ad after I expressed disappointment with not having a cool nickname. :slight_smile:

Good for a guy:

Spike
Mack Daddy
Bones
Godzilla
Honcho

Bad for a guy:

Princess
Milady
Mr. Delicate
Wussy
Zero

I wish I had a cool nickname. Guys seem so prone to giving and getting nicknames, at least in the circles I run with- Bail-out Bob, Digger, Dutch, etc.

I’ve been called Poop Turkey by one friend for years (that’s a long story I won’t be getting into) but thankfully it didn’t spread. And I had a fling that called me Crazy Legs when I expressed my disappointment in the nickname department.

I don’t know what I’d want to be called, though. Giving yourself a nickname (outside of message boards and the like) isn’t cool.

My name is Jett, and I’ve been “Jettboy” since I was a kid; I don’t love it, I don’t hate it. My middle name is Vincent, and for a while I had a few friendly assholes try to get “Vinnie” to stick as a nickname. Now, that shit I hated.

I was called “Sugar Bear” for some reason while I was in Boy Scouts. It was cute until, you know, puberty.

Ricardo Yonez? :dubious: :wink:

A friend sometimes calls me Fetus because he once heard my father call me that. Now that I think about it, it could have made a good message board name, but it was already taken when I started posting here anyway.

Good
Hammer
Chainsaw
Slick
Professor

Bad
Hamburglar
Jigsaw
Oil Slick
Chalk-for-brains

Good
Killer
Dutch
Marco

Bad
O.J.
Swede
Marky-Mark

Bad
Moose

Fred Frimple

Miss OCD

Booger Picker (No, I do NOT pick my nose. That’s why that one annoys me more than all of them.)

Good
The Burl (I once threw a guy over a fence. Actually he ran at me and I pushed him and it was by pure luck that he lost his balance and went over the fence.)

Rattlesnake (The only person who ever called me that is an old boyfriend. To this day he calls me that. I like it, it’s a cool nickname, but nobody else will call me that, even when I beg.)

Hey rattlesnake, how is it going?
:smiley:

Good
Rick
Bad
Dick

Finally!

Thank you! :smiley:

Validation is sweet indeed.

I get called GrammarNazi. I’m not sure if that’s bad or good.

Bad
“Jugs” I was fourteen. :frowning:

Good:
Hojo
Brawny Lad
Stuckey

Bad:
Dilly bar
Friendly Fribble
Pecan log

One of the weirder ones I ever encountered was a friend of mine in college. There were two Jo(h)ns among our group; so they started out as “H” and “No h”. Then there came a girl H liked. He asked her out, and she responded with something to the effect of, “You’re a really nice guy, but you have the sex appeal of a bagel.”

From that day onward, he was Bagel. He even introduced himself that way.

My brother went by Moose at his camp.

I hope that for him it was a good nickname!

I got called Moose because I was always bigger and taller than the other girls at my school. Man, I hated that nickname. Even my dad called me that. He still does but I don’t hold it against him.

Actually at my camp my nickname was Huck because I was really into the book Huckleberry Finn. I liked that! :cool:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my friend Penis. (He was the one who called me Poop Turkey) Everyone called him that because he was a dick.