What kind of flowers should I have for my bouquet? Or what kind of non-flowers?

So I’m getting married on Halloween (:D). It’s not going to be a Halloween-theme* thing or anything. It’s gonna be fairly low-key, with immediate family, grandma, and perhaps one aunt/uncle from each side, plus a few friends (we’re looking at about 35 people). There’ll be a Catholic church ceremony and a sit down dinner for the reception at one of our favorite restaurants.

We’re trying to not spend a ton. He’s gonna wear his nice suit he has (why not? He doesn’t want to wear a tux and he looks nice in it), we’re not going to have attendants, not gonna have huge decorations, a band, etc. My dress is a 1909 Edwardian dress that my mom’s making me, with a dusty rose (non-shiny!) satin and then white (with a titch of grey/silver) lace over it. The “colors”, if you can call it that, are gonna be the rose and then pewter.

My friend is making the cake for cost of supplies and my friend/his cousin is making the invitations. A friend of mine’s doing photography. This is just to give you a basic idea.

I have no idea what to do for flowers or just something that I can hold for when I’m all nervous. I don’t mind things different. I was thinking an autumn leaves bouquet could be neat, but then I don’t know how those would go with pewter-ish tones.

Any ideas?

• though we did tell two of our friends that we wouldn’t turn them away if they showed up dressed as characters from Rocky Horror. :wink:

Okay, this might be a weird idea, but what about a bouquet that uses herbs as greenery? I’m thinking that the silvery shades of artemesia and sage would go well.

Then you could eat your bouquet.

You could do a budget friendly bouquet of gerbera daisies in red, orange, yellow, and use bright greens for accent.

You don’t have to carry anything at all. And it doesn’t have to be flowers. A prayer book if you are so inclined or something else meaningful.

I like the herb idea a lot and it sounds like it would work really well for what you are doing. Put some white tea roses in with the green - or another old fashioned flower.

Ooooh herbs! I love it!

And I know I don’t “need” anything, but I figure it gives me something to hold if I get all nervous (a prayerbook isn’t quite my style, but I can totally see it as a good alternative).

Man, I really like this herbs idea! Herbs and a few white roses or other white flowers.

I know this is like, shockingly wacky and out there, but…what about roses? Seriously, you’ve got rose color, you’ve got a classically beautiful Edwardian dress, and there’s just nothing more rosy or classic than roses. I’d pick a darker or more vibrant shade than the dress, just so it “pops”.

Even if you don’t use them as a bouquet, herbs make totally cute wedding centerpieces.

I was going to suggest the same thing, and possibly some snow drops. However, the roses by themselves would be perfect with that dress.

For the typical orange-and-black color scheme, tiger lilies would do nicely. Some florists will have big bees and spiders on stiff wires. Bleeding hearts (dicentra,) maybe?

Congratulations!

(I want to get married on a Halloween. And I will totally dress up for it, and invite (not insist) anyone present to do the same (the more wacky and traditionally Halloweeny the better). I’m thinking a ballgown type dress with muttonish sleeves in black and white “jester” diamond print (large diamonds) with a short “fake” corset type thing around my middle (haven’t decided on color) with blood red and deep vibrant blue roses/jewelry.)

Anyway, I love the herbs idea as well, and think your dress and wedding sound beautiful and elegant. I hope it goes perfectly.

Will you have your hair up in an Edwardian style or modern?

Roses. They are lovely. If you or a family member or friend is handy with flowers you could do your own bouquet pretty cheaply. Buy an inexpensive single color bouquet from Costco the night before and put it together then. Store it in your fridge in a glass of water. I’m picturing one of those Martha Stewart style ball of roses with the stems wrapped in pewter satin ribbon.

For the roses suggestion, I wouldn’t mind a few smaller tea roses, myself. But personally, a full rose bouquet to me is just rather meh. They’re pretty and all, but they seem so generic. Plus, as soon as I heard the herbs idea, I got extremely excited. I loooove cooking and baking and use so many herbs and spices, so it’d really fit me.

Oh, and while we’re not having a themed wedding (especially not Halloween, sorry AskNott:)), there will be a few fun touches of steampunk aesthetics. I’ll have an Edwardian dress, the cake will have some sugar gears mixed in with the flowers, some nice gunmetal colored pewter for my hair and shoes, etc.

Hey, idea:

• herbs for greenage
  • little white tea roses
  • possible other teensy white flower that aren’t baby’s breath (yuck)
  • little silver gears nestled in.

That could be cool!

We had fern fronds, ivy trailing down, Queen Anne’s Lace, and rosemary in our bouquets. Very Victorian.

Hortensia, with a few roses stuck in it?

That sounds awesome!

I love the steampunk mini-theme you have going. Just tell me you’re not going to wear goggles…

I don’t know how well this would go with the other options you’re considering, but there’s a garden plant called “dusty miller” which has gray foliage.

I thought of that when you mentioned the silver/gray parts of your clothing.

I’ll vote for roses too, but not white. In either a classic rose color or deep burgundy, or both.

Sort of like this.

That’s my wedding bouquet - red roses, eucalyptus (which would work well with your color scheme too), white baby’s breath. Herbs, ivy, etc. would all work in well.

Here’s a (unfortunately not great) pic of some Edwardian dinner table arrangements. Might give you an idea of what colors/flower types/designs were popular then:

http://www.morgansofchigwell.co.uk/Edwardian-Table.jpg

It’s you’re wedding, so do what you want, but if you think roses are meh you haven’t seen many: the damn things have been obsessively hybridized for centuries, and the varieties out there are mind-boggling. I will agree that roses are not cost-effective: at the low end, what is available is pretty boring, but if you go to a real florist who knows flowers and say you want a really interesting rose arrangement and you aren’t afraid to pay for it, you’ll get back amazing textures and shades and scents.

But if flowers in general aren’t the thing that excites you, I agree that low-end roses give less bang for the buck than some of the other suggestions people are making.

Oh, I’m not saying that roses aren’t beautiful. I love them, but I think they’re a bit boring, for lack of a better word, for a wedding bouquet for me, especially because, honestly, no, I’m not willing to pay for it. :slight_smile:

We’re doing this wedding on the cheap; we’d both rather just get married with a few people and have a nice tasty dinner and be able to plow money into savings instead of blowing money on flowers, fancy tablecloths, a DJ that my fiance would dread*, etc. for one day (not that there’s anything wrong with doing that if you want to; it IS supposed to be a bitchin’ party, after all! :)). All told, we’re trying to keep the total under 2k, preferably under 1.5k. Hell, I wasn’t even planning on having a honeymoon since we didn’t have anything saved for it (until his parents said that’d be our wedding present from them).

• He suffers from White Man Dance Syndrome and was terrified at the idea of having to dance at all.