Finish the Sci-Fi Story V: Independent's Day control thread

Finish the Science Fiction Story
Finish the Science Fiction Story, Part II
Finish the Sci-Fi Story III - Murder Mystery
Finish the Sci-Fi Story IV: The Next Generation

Some established terms in the 'verse we created:

Aside from the Orion (a merchant/smuggler vessel along the lines of the Millennium Falcon), her crew (along the lines of Serenity’s in the Firefly 'verse), and a loose plot outline, everything’s pretty much open in the fifth installment. As long as it follows the above. :slight_smile:

Thanks for starting a new story!

In the Intro you said the original captain was Ian Marcam. Then that Col. Patrick Marcam retrofitted her. Is Ian also Patrick or did Patrick take over from Ian and now Sean took over from Patrick? I know we can make things up, but I just wanted to be sure of any facts that were stated.

Patrick is Ian’s brother and Sean’s father. He hired Ian and the Orion for the invasion and Sean took over from Ian. She’s been in Sean’s hands for about 15 standard years.

Kate Rowe and Jack Harkness would get along very well. Perhaps a litle too well. :smiley:

I’m currently at work, it won’t be until this evening that I can write a decent episode…this is going to be fun!

I’m also going to have to review the first four stories, to refresh my memory of species and canon. But if anyone has any questions I still have some documents I made up detailing people, places, races, and so forth in this universe.

PS: ** Lute**, I love the title!

Please send me any summaries. I’m flying by the seat of my pants and can use some grounding.

Orion typically uses Razor torpedos. These are designed to fit two torpedos into a single unit, called “pods”, that split apart shortly after launch. This allows her to launch four warheads before reloading. Reloading is automatic as long as the racks aren’t empty.

Oh, yeah: very nice post, CC. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I get my best ideas riffing off other’s posts.

If anyone bothered to trace the Marcam family tree back to Earth, they’d eventually end up in Ireland. Same for Kate Rowe.

Shad’s paternal trail would seem to dead end in the Italian section of East Harlem during the 1890s but at least one other branch originates in the British Isles.

Tor’s full name translates to “Thomas, son of Thomas”. His origins are uncertain but the tattoos suggest some Xavvian invovlement.

Looking forward to it.

:smiley:
Couldn’t do much else considering the main characters.

I don’t see Orion having a dedicated ship’s doctor but her crew with the exception of Kate should have experience in practicing battlefield medicine.

Considering Kate’s … proclivities, I’m sure she has vast experience in treating pulled groin muscles, torn ligaments, bloody noses, dislocated shoulders, etc. Hmmm?

That’s an entirely different sort of battlefield. :slight_smile:

Love is a Battlefield - Pat Benatar

Referring to Baker’s great summary:[ul][]Is this the same universe - Where there are non-space drives, crystals, etc.?[]If so, then does the Orion have a hyperspace drive but not a non-space drive?I don’t plan on bringing Kathy or Tobermory or any of that in to this, but is there a time before or after them that this story occurs?[/ul]

[ul]Yes.[]Non-space, yes. She’s a long-range hauler.[]There could be flashbacks but for the most part all stories are in chronological order stemming from the first.[/ul]

I’d like to expand on Shad’s background after the tension, and any unfriendly encounter, subsides. I’d make his security detail to have been on Ceres to tie into the first story.

To expand on this, I don’t think we ever established the existence of hyperspace drives. So far all fast-travel has been performed via non-space. I suppose Orion, being an older model, could have the former.

Corner Case, since my latest post went in after yours I’m glad we were writing on different topics. How many times have posters been writing at the same time on similar scenes?