ask the White guy who is married to the Black Woman

So in this thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=553002I promised to start a thread about my inter-racial marriage. I am an Italian American from the NYC area, originally, who is married to a Black woman from NE North Carolina. So actually we break a bunch of stereotypes : Black/White, Northern/Southern, and Urban/Rural, as well as Catholic/Protestant (is Baptist considered Protestant?) Conservative(although lately I have realized that I am more Libertarian)/Liberal, and probably other dichotomes (sp?) I can’t think of.

One thing that I really want to say is that when I am with her, I do get a little “Black by association”. I am more accepted among black people, and white people look at me weird. I can truly say that I see racism now in places that I never saw it before.

So ask away!

Where and how did y’all meet?

Baptists are most definitely Protestants.

How’d you meet? Any kids? How do they get treated by others?

Have you always had a thing for black chicks?

Did you see Good Hair? Does she mind if you touch her hair?

Was her being black a plus, a minus or neutral to your attraction to her?

How black is she- fairly light-skinned, average, or dark?

Did she have any reservations about going with a white guy?

Is she ok with being called “black” or does she prefer African-American? :stuck_out_tongue:

Did she introduce you to any customs that were new to you? (food, holiday traditions, etc.)

We both belong to the same Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega. We met at a convention in Phoenix.

We have one son. He is eight. Since he goes to a public school in military housing, interracial kids are much more common than elsewhere, so he barely notices. The kids don’t care, some of the parents are surprised. The biggest reaction we get is from school administration.

You left out male/female :wink:

Speaking of which, do the other dichotomies make that one more complicated or do they make it easier?

h is the second black girl I dated. I find “differentness” attractive, so while I don’t have a thing for black chicks, I would rather someone who isn’t the same as me.

Care to elaborate about this?

Haven’t seen Good Hair. I like to touch her hair, she doesn’t like it. Her hair is very brittle.

Does she know you started this thread?

Are your families cool with your being married to each other?

It is neutral. I tell people I didn’t marry a black woman, I married the woman I love, she just happens to be black.
She is medum skinned.
Her family knew she would wind up with a white guy.
She dated several members of the Syracuse football team, all white.
She prefers Black. She’s never been to Africa :stuck_out_tongue:
Yes, all of the stereotypical foods such as fried chicken and ocra and collard greens, as well as stereotypical southern food such as grits. Not to much on the customs, however.

No, they all make life interesting.

No she doesn’t. She thinks that all the Dope does is fill my insatiable appatite for trivia.

Her mom loves me. The rest of her family likes me. My parents do not like her, and the feeling is reciprocal. That is the biggest problem in my life, balancing my responsibilities to my parents with my responsibiliity to her. My wife wins most of the time, and my mom plays the guilt card so much that it does nothing anymore.

So whats the deal with your parents… are their beefs concrete? And is the problem one with your mother in particular? If its primarily driven by your mother… do you feel that she’s reacting to possibly a feeling she has that you have rejected her by marrying/loving a woman who doesn’t resemble her??

I've heard this argument frequently in the black community.. in fact i remember Louis Farrakhan goin in depth on it.. Theirs a perception that if one marries out of race the corresponding sex/parent is being rejected.. 
BTW have you had the experience my brother had..he was pickin up his stepdaughter from school and they kept trying to give him the little black boy.. that was pretty funny when he told me..

Elaborate please.

ask the White guy who is married to the Black Woman.

“the” white guy who is married to “the” black woman? :dubious:

No different from any other “Ask the…” thread. I once participated in an “Ask the mathematician thread”, and I assure you, neither the OP of that thread nor I nor anyone else ever intended to imply that there was only one mathematician in the world.