The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

"Failed to connect to proxy server" (effin' AOL)

My current temp gig lets me work at home one day a week -- as long as I've got AIM. Yeah, it's gotta be AIM.

Just spent a ridiculous amount of time getting this loaded, tried to fire it up, and can't get past a "Failed to connect to Proxy server" message. Tried auto-configure -- no joy. I could set my settings manually, if I had a clue what to set them to.

What do I do now, to either get this motherfucker loaded, or to in some other way get myself onto AIM?

TIA.
Advertisements  
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
My current temp gig lets me work at home one day a week -- as long as I've got AIM. Yeah, it's gotta be AIM.

Just spent a ridiculous amount of time getting this loaded, tried to fire it up, and can't get past a "Failed to connect to Proxy server" message. Tried auto-configure -- no joy. I could set my settings manually, if I had a clue what to set them to.

What do I do now, to either get this motherfucker loaded, or to in some other way get myself onto AIM?

TIA.
I didn't see this thread Twicks. I just started my own "AOL is full of Errors" thread.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Yeah, I linked to here from yours. We seem to be having different kinds of problems, so I didn't merge them.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Does your employer allow you to use a different client, like Trillian or Pidgin?

In my experience, with Trillian at least, not all of the real client's features work with these services (such as file transfer (sometimes) or video chat) but they definitely work to chat with people on the proper clients. I haven't tried doing anything but chat and group chat on the latest version of Trillian, so those features might work.

If nothing else, you can try one of those to see if you can at least connect to AIM - then you'll know if it's your computer/network or the AIM client itself.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Wait until after one of the connectivity gurus around here verifies or corrects my advice here -- I had a similar problem two days ago with regard to using MSIE (I usually use Firefox but needed to look at something in a different browser owing to Firefox's problems with Java scripts) and was given this answer, which worked.

Start / Control Panel / Internet Options / Connections tab / LAN server button (near the bottom) -- Uncheck "Use proxy server" -- which Windows activates on its own for reasons known best to it, even when you don't have a LAN or a proxy server.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp View Post
Wait until after one of the connectivity gurus around here verifies or corrects my advice here -- I had a similar problem two days ago with regard to using MSIE (I usually use Firefox but needed to look at something in a different browser owing to Firefox's problems with Java scripts) and was given this answer, which worked.

Start / Control Panel / Internet Options / Connections tab / LAN server button (near the bottom) -- Uncheck "Use proxy server" -- which Windows activates on its own for reasons known best to it, even when you don't have a LAN or a proxy server.
That's close, but the proxy settings in Internet Options in Control Panel are really for IE. Chances are it won't help, as long as IE is working. If it isn't, try Polycarp's suggestion. It won't hurt, and you can always check it back.

But likely what you need to do is mess with the proxy settings in AIM itself. Here's the official instructions on how to do that. (The pics make it easier than me trying to tell you.)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
But likely what you need to do is mess with the proxy settings in AIM itself. Here's the official instructions on how to do that. (The pics make it easier than me trying to tell you.)
I tried that a couple of dozen times last night before writing the OP. Nope, that's not it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp View Post
That was the trick.

Many thanks to both of you!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:54 PM

This is an old thread...and I know I'm zombifying it but I do so with a purpose.

I had this exact same problem and did a Google search asking what to do; the very first thing listed was the link to this thread. I did Polycarp's suggestion and it worked right away.

Seriously....you guys are the best.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
That's close, but the proxy settings in Internet Options in Control Panel are really for IE.
Nope, tons of windows applications draw from it rather than try to manage their own.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I see that this is an old thread, but since it is active, and in case anyone is currently have AOL troubles, I thought I'd post here that AOL has been hacked.