Stuff on a urinal (Way TMI for many).

I’ve been seeing it all my life, but was afraid to ask. But now I’m all grown up.
What the hell is that black stuff I often see on urinals and toilet seats in mens rooms? It resembles pepper, or maybe very fine-grained black sand. I assume it has to do with hygiene but I’m not sure.
Also, I occasionally see pubic hairs on top of urinals, close to where the flush valve is. Nobody’s that tall. Maybe related to foot nudging? A secretive signal?
Peace,
mangeorge

I know guesses aren’t too kosher for first responses, but hell.

Cigarette ash? Whether or not smoking is allowed in a given jurisdiction or building, I find cigarette ash (and the occasional greasy brown nicotine stain a burning cigarette will leave when set down on porcelain) in restrooms all the time. Or it could be some kind of mild abrasive left behind from a cleaning powder or scouring pad. Can’t think of anything else, and I’ve never seen other black pepper/sand-like substance all over toilets. Got pictures, or could you snap some?

As to pubic hair on top of urinals, doesn’t seem that weird. Guys have to reach down to zip/unzip, allowing a stray hair to get on the hands; they have to reach up above the height of the urinal to flush (or pick up the cigarette they’ve set down on top of the urinal, or to pick their noses, or any other gross thing guys do at urinals) where it falls off.

Ewwww! I’m assuming some type of mold or mildew in a poorly maintained restroom.

Ewwwer than that. The stuff has obviously fallen from someone. My guess is from inside their clothes.
Our huge corporation level restrooms would never be moldy.

As far as the black stuff, it’s probably chewing or dipping tobacco from someone spitting. I’ve seen it fairly often in the public restrooms I’ve used.

my father has the bad habit of using his electric shaver on the can… that leaves little black pepper looking shaving mess all over the damn place.

If you think that’s ewww, wait till you see this. (YouTube video of someone…)

washing his hands in the urinal

For those who looked at the spoiler, I’ve got to tell this story.

My first girlfriend in college lived in an older dormitory that had once been a men’s dorm but had at some point been converted to a women’s one.

Thus, the bathrooms still had urinals in them. They were the old-fashioned bowl-type urinals that jutted out from the walls, with their structures parallel to the floor, and were filled with water.

The story went (could well have been an urban legend, but who knows) that one girl had never seen such a thing before, and asked what these strange devices were for.

She was told they were for washing your hair in…so she did!

It wasn’t so much the video that got me, but the fact that you just know that somebody, somewhere, is making full Rule 34 use of that footage.