SDMB Defcon games

At least 7 or 8 of the people on the SDMB got the very good Introversion complete pack on Steam for $5 (sale lasts through July 4), including Darwinia, Multiwinia, Uplink, and Defcon.

Defcon is funnest when played with friends so I’m going to try to start organizing some defcon games.

It’s a strategy game that resembles the big screens tracking action of nuclear attacks in Cold War movies, most specifically Wargames. You place radar stations, interceptor/silo units, airbases, and naval fleets and your goal is to kill as many people as you can while saving as many of your own as possible. No base building or resource gathering or anything, just use your array of nukes to kill everyone.

It’s up to 6 players max, and can be played any way you want - free for all, 3 vs 3, a diplomacy mode where alliances can be made and broken.

So anyway, if you have or get the game, make sure you’re on my friends list on steam and tell me you’re interested. And/or post here. I’ll try to get games organized when we have a few people around - or maybe at scheduled times if we need to.

The game has no built in voice chat so we use ventrilo. It’s free and easy to set up and works well. It’s much more satisfying with voice chat - both so that I can more easily teach everyone the game and just because games in general are much more fun with voice chat.

Yesterday’s game was fun, I’d play again!

I’m probably going to try to walk people through a game in about 45 minutes to familiarize everyone with it. Contact me if you want in, and I’ll give you the ventrilo server info.

Starting my install now. Looks like it’ll be done in a bit.

That went well, had a good 6 player game earlier. I now have 11 friends who own the game, all but one SDMBers, so we should have a nice player base to start games with.

I’ll still run people through who haven’t played and explain everything as it goes along, but you could also play the tutorial or vs the AI if you want to get a head start.

Ooh. I bought Defcon just the other day. I’ma go try out the tutorial.

If I can break away from Mass Effect 2 and Left 4 Dead count me in! My friends and I played the heck out of Defcon when it first came out… great game.

Incidentally, there are some cool mods which give the interface a much more “Wargames”-y look by replacing the map icons and fonts with vector style graphics. Played on a big screen TV, you too can have your very own Big Board!

I had a nightmare last night where Matsar (who was a giant owl) pinched me with his wings while bombs went off outside. My wife had to tap me on the head to get me to stop yelling.

Thanks a lot defcon.

I actually ended up getting 2nd to last place last night when playing against Senor Beef, Mutton Time and Electronic Chaos. That’s my highest finish!

I finally got it to stop saying I had a demo copy, so I’m in if we play at all tonight.

These games have been going pretty strong, we’ve had about 5 full games so far. I’ve been tryign to rotate in people who’ve never played before and play a slow/long game with lots of explanation, but now that most people have the hang of it we can start playing more of the faster paced games.

The introversion pack is still on sale for $5 until July 4, so if you grab it, be sure to put me on your friends list and tell me you’re interested in defcon.

I’m going to try tomorrow afternoon to host a slow game for beginners where I can flesh out the game for everyone. I’ve done that for like 8 of us so far and there are yet more who don’t know how to play. So if you want to learn, be sure to have the game and ventrilo installed. Probably mid-afternoon sometime. Contact me if you’re interested.

After that, we’ll probably have faster paced regular games for whoever wants to play.