Is "Peaches" A Stripper Name?

I work a temp job sometimes, at a factory and I was working a line last night.

A woman I never saw before came up and introduced herself. She said, “They told me to stand over here with you guys. By the way my name is Mary but everyone calls me Peaches.” They other guy on the line with me, laughs and says “That’s a name for a stripper.”

Of course it was all good natured and Peaches laughed and didn’t take offense. But I I never thought Peaches would be a name for a stripper.

What do you think? Is Peaches a name (or nickname) for a stripper?

“Really like your peaches, wanna shake your tree-ee”

I once knew a stripper whose stage name was Peaches’n’Cream. Does that count?

I could see Peaches by itself being a stripper name, but I can also see it being a regular name too.

Maybe a stripper name, maybe a “waitress at a diner” name?

Peaches is more like the name of the burly bouncer at the strip club. And gods help you if you make fun of his name.

Yes. :slight_smile:

Good friends of mine had a mutt named Peaches, so it’s a puppy name to my mind.

Peaches was the name of a devil on Rocko’s Modern Life.

He liked to play paddle-ball.

When I hear “Peaches,” I think Peaches Browning. Surely “Peaches” couldn’t have been a very common sobriquet before the 1920s.

Anyway, not a stripper, exactly - but just about what you’d expect from someone who goes by “Peaches.”

(Thank you James Joyce, for keeping me in the loop as far as early twentieth-century gossip is concerned.)

Any guesses why this guy thought “Peaches” was a stripper name. Other than the fact he may have known a “Peaches” that was a stripper.

I thought maybe there was a movie or song with Peaches being a stripper in it?

Well, I think Peaches a total stripper name. I’m surprised at the responses.

I wouldn’t say it’s a stripper name exactly, but it could be considered at least marginally “sexy”. The closest comparison I can think of is “Sugar” as a nickname. It might be a cute nickname given to a girl when she’s young, it might be a Southernism, it might be ironic, or it might have some sexual connotation of the “Hey, give me some sugar!” or “Shake those peaches!” variety. Depends on the person. As a “sexy” name it seems pretty old-fashioned, though. A stripper today who wanted to have a suggestive name would probably go with something a lot more obvious than “Peaches”.

There is also a musician called Peaches whose material is quite in-your-face and explicit (one of her best-known songs is called “Fuck the Pain Away”). Wikipedia tells me Peaches takes her name from the Nina Simone song “Four Women”, which I was also going to mention as a pop culture example of a woman named Peaches. She’s the 4th woman in the song, and is a tough, angry type. The last line of the song is this character shouting “My name is Peaches!”

I don’t think of it as a stripper name. I’ve known three Peaches; two were black girls and it was their given name. This was high school but I can’t imagine either becoming a stripper. The other was a white boy and it was a nickname (I have no idea what his real name was) his mother gave him at birth, because he was premature and born with a thick coat of lanugo (peach fuzz!).

Amber, Krystal, Candy, Jasmine, Nikki, and Destiny are stripper names to me. Most strippers go by trendy ultra-femme names, not by silly ones.

The first person (nick)named “Peaches” that popped into my mind was tennis player Jane Bartkowicz. As far as I know, she never did any stripping.

I thought it was a kitty name.

I’d say it’s a possible stripper name . . . or the name of an obese woman trying to give herself an air of sweetness and delicacy . . . or the name of a middle-aged woman trying to give herself an air of sweetness and youth . . . or a curvy drag queen.

We have a mutt named Peaches, too, although, I’m pretty sure we aren’t FairyChatMom’s previously mentioned good friends. It’s not all that uncommon of a dog name.

I agree. Strippers try to sound sultry not perky.

I think of the musician cited above, and in particular, “Diddle My Skittle”.

Peaches is a total stripper name.

As an aside, I have a friend named Charity but goes by Mary because everyone thinks it’s a stage name. She’s soo not a stripper though