Meet Dixie... the New Doper Dog!

When I woke up this morning, the big plans for the day were to go to the company picnic and relax in the pool a while. How things change…

While I was eating breakfast, I browsed Craig’s List as I always do. Just curiosity, you know. So, in the pets, there was a 2 year old red Doberman bitch, spayed, all shots, housebroken. Her owner had been deployed to Iraq, and his parents couldn’t keep her.

I have had 2 Dobermans in the past, both red girls and sweet as the day is long. I have been hoping to get another, someday.

I guess today is ‘someday’.

I took my 2 Gordons with me to make sure they got along, and they did. As soon as Dixie saw me, she came right to me, stump tail wiggling. She did not bark at me, not once. She laid her cheek against mine and closed her eyes. ‘My dad left me, and I’m your dog’, she said.

So Dixie came home. She has explored the house & yard, is intimidated by the Papillons and cats, and is sleeping at my feet.

I needed another dog like I needed a hole in the head, but there y’go.

Everyone, meet Dixie:

Sometimes the needs of the canine outweigh the needs of the one.

What a beauty!

She’s lovely, congratulations! I hope you’ll be sure to invite her Daddy to visit, and maybe even send him pics and updates.

Absolutely, TruCelt. I already told his mom to send my e mail addy to him and i would keep him informed on how she’s doing. she is, at this moment, enjoyin dinner (with a bit of fried chicken in it.)

Sometimes, you just meet up with the animal you’re supposed to have in your life. And the animal chooses YOU, not the other way around. Clearly, you were supposed to have this dog, if her dad had to go off.

She’s beautiful! Congratulations. :slight_smile:

Awww. Pretty pup!

I know animals can choose people. I was chosen by my cat. It was meant to be.

So… y’all think she’s settled in OK??

Congratulations! My Jake is a red dobe, too. I love dobermans. They’re about as perfect as a dog can be.

StG

She may not be a horse, but she’s MUCH more practical for me, and I am already in love with her. I even love the name Dixie… She was MEANT to be mine.

She is gorgeous. Congrats to all of you!

If she were any more settled in she’d turn into a puddle of relaxed happy goo. Awww. Give her a scritch for me, I’d make a fuss over her in person if I could.

I don’t know, man, that’s one tense looking dog you’ve got there. Clearly, she needs to get acclimated to the presence of a camera, so you’re just going to have to take and post more pictures. :slight_smile:

She’s absolutely beautiful. Congrats on the new addition.

Awww! Congrats Pap. Looks like a match made in doggie heaven.

Update on Dixie: She is not on ‘my shcedule’ yet and when she had to potty in the middle of the night, she woke me up by poking me with that long DoberNose, walking to the bedroom door, and continued this till I got up and let her out.

What a GOOD girl she is!!!

Congratulations! I’m glad you could adopt her. She’s adorable.

Beautiful and smart! Sigh… Been a long time for me. Maybe…

She’s beautiful!

Lilith says hi, Dixie!

When I was a kid, there was a house two doors away that had two Dobies in the yard. Those dogs would run along the fence barking whenever we rode our bikes past there, and the kids that lived there told us horror stories about their killer dogs.

Now we have Lil, and I’ve been really surprised how sweet and cuddly and fun she is. I would never have believed I’d ever give a killer dog kisses on the nosie. :slight_smile:

Enjoy your hairy beast!

I could not be happier with this little girl. She is all that a Dobe should be. To show you how scary-smart she is…I put her & the Gordons out in the back yard this morning to potty. They were out about 15 min and it is HOT here. I heard knocking at the back door & snuck out… Dixie was using her mouth to try and open my storm door, which doesn’t latch tightly. I laughed and let them all in. Well… I needed to run to the store down the street for a few items a little while ago, wasn’t going to be gone more than 15-20 min, so I put the 3 of them back in the yard. When I came home, I was greeted at the door by 2 Papillons… and a red DoberGirl, looking very smug. Yes, she figured out how to open the door and let herself in. Life with Dixie… gonna be interesting.