The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Daniel Tosh and racist jokes

I've watched a little of Tosh.0 and that's enough to see that Daniel Tosh throws out a lot of racist jokes.

I supposed if he was pressed on the point, he'd say he was doing it "ironically". But I'm not seeing it. There's nothing in the context of the show that justifies a claim like that. He's not playing a character or telling jokes in a way that make you think about what was said. He just tells racist jokes for the laughs.

So how is he getting a pass on this?
Advertisements  
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 PM

they are funny

lighten up, man
Old 09-03-2010, 12:01 AM

Most Americans in the target demographic of the show do not categorically have a problem with racist humor.

See the other Tosh.O thread for a little more on this.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 AM

I don't think "racist" is exacly what's meant by "black humor." I'd go into it more, but I'm holding out for the inevitable "Daniel Tosh is a Murderer" thread.

Last edited by pravnik; 09-03-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 AM

Daniel Tosh killed my kitten!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 AM

Daniel Tosh raped and killed my father!

Not necessarily in that order.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I supposed if he was pressed on the point, he'd say he was doing it "ironically". But I'm not seeing it.
I would suggest that you don't have a very good "iron-o-meter". His "racist" jokes are clearly given with a wink-wink-nudge-nudge to the audience.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 AM

I don't have a very good representative sample, but from what I have been able to see, I don't find any malice or bias.

Bits that reference race at all seem to be quite meta.

Do you have a specific example of something that might be construed as offensive?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 AM

White homeboy (jackass) rapper: There's BET but there isn't a channel for white people!
Tosh: Except for CBS, NBC, ABC...
Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Quote:
I supposed if he was pressed on the point, he'd say he was doing it "ironically". But I'm not seeing it.
I would suggest that you don't have a very good "iron-o-meter". His "racist" jokes are clearly given with a wink-wink-nudge-nudge to the audience.
No, my sense of irony works just fine. That's why I see that Tosh is not actually using any irony. Tosh's winking is just his way of saying, "I'm going to tell an offensive joke and you'll laugh but we'll get away with it because we'll all pretend it's ironic somehow."

Now Borat - that was irony. He would say racist things but the point was that we would laugh at him for being a racist not laugh with him in appreciation.

But Tosh isn't doing that. He's just telling racist jokes and his audience is laughing at them.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:53 AM

It's not just "irony." It's hard to get a sense from just Tosh.0, but if you listen to his stand-up, it's more about getting people to laugh at really offensive things, and then they feel uncomfortable about the fact that they just laughed at it.

It gets a lot darker on his CD than on his show, and he's even worse (in a good way) live. I actually got a chance to see him at a free show when he was just starting out, and he was amazing. He's basically a modern day interpretation of 90's insult comics.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
No, my sense of irony works just fine. That's why I see that Tosh is not actually using any irony. Tosh's winking is just his way of saying, "I'm going to tell an offensive joke and you'll laugh but we'll get away with it because we'll all pretend it's ironic somehow."

Now Borat - that was irony. He would say racist things but the point was that we would laugh at him for being a racist not laugh with him in appreciation.

But Tosh isn't doing that. He's just telling racist jokes and his audience is laughing at them.
A Flannery O'Connor quote:

Quote:
"I always thought that if [my mother] had a dog she'd name him Spot--without irony. If I had a dog I'd name him Spot, but with irony. But for all practical purposes no one would know the difference."
I think that making the difference known is the difference between irony and offensive, if that makes sense. Either way I had a dog named Spot once.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:00 AM

Why not vote on it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU5KJt-NgVA
http://www.comedycentral.com/tosh.0/.../is-it-racist/

Oh, and ...
Old 09-03-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
He's basically a modern day interpretation of 90's insult comics.
Were they funny?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240 View Post
Quote:
He's basically a modern day interpretation of 90's insult comics.
Were they funny?
No, not really. But Daniel is.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 AM

We're entering the post-"racist"* era in comedy. Young people today are very noticeably less racist than my peers were in high school just 11-15 years ago. They realize this and are basically making fun of us old fogies. I know a gay teenager who goes around calling people "niggerfag."

Tosh gets this. Which kind of makes sense, since I would guess his writers are probably mostly in their early 20s.

I'm not really fully on board with it-- not because it offends me but just because I usually don't find it funny. But hey, anything is better than the "IT'S SO RANDOM!" humor that dominated most of the '00s.

*as we knew racism
Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 AM

Off topic, but is Tosh gay? The gaydar needle is in the pink so I was wondering if he's out or not.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 AM

^ A quick googling seems to indicate that, if he is, he is not out.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

My wife and I really like Tosh.0, but we do find it weird he throws out racist jokes.

It is definitely done with "irony" or whatever and he picks on himself way more than anyone else.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Ehhh...I'm not sure those irony settings are as calibrated as you think they are. IMO, we weren't supposed to be laughing at Borat for being racist. We were laughing with Borat at the racism he was pointing out in others. But, hey, it's all subjective, I guess...

Racist jokes are a staple of comedy. I don't think anyone has to wonder how someone 'gets away with it'. There are plenty of hilarious threads on this board that have some of the funniest racist jokes I ever heard. No one is getting away with anything. Everyone is just...laughing.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
White homeboy (jackass) rapper: There's BET but there isn't a channel for white people!
Tosh: Except for CBS, NBC, ABC...
Is this supposed to be funny or ironic?

I know it's kinda stale... but can't decide on other ways to describe it.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:

Were they funny?
No, not really. But Daniel is.
He seems to hide it rather well.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:49 AM

So is/was Don Rickles racist? He'd say shit like "I don't want the black guy to talk." "What are you, Puerto Rican? Get me a coffee." Is it that Tosh isn't saying it to the potentially-offended person's face, but to a crowd of probably-white people?

There's one big racist joke in True Stories I Made Up where he talks about, if your plane crashed in the mountains and you had to eat the other passengers to stay alive, what would other ethnicities taste like? He brings up Chinese and Mexicans, which I don't remember, but then he goes, "Get ready. Black people? Taste like chicken! *serious* All's fair. White people...you don't eat white people. I'm sorry. That's how that joke has to end." It's not about laughing at non-white people, though, it's about making his audience uncomfortable.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
No one is getting away with anything. Everyone is just...laughing.
I thought that's what was meant by "getting away with it"--when people who wouldn't like describing themselves as racists laugh at jokes that turn on clearly racist notions and don't think the teller is a real ass for telling them.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
No one is getting away with anything. Everyone is just...laughing.
I thought that's what was meant by "getting away with it"--when people who wouldn't like describing themselves as racists laugh at jokes that turn on clearly racist notions and don't think the teller is a real ass for telling them.
Thing is, is it racist? I think most of the time, when someone is "getting away with it," they aren't racist and neither is their audience; it's less that people are laughing because it's true, and more that they're laughing because it's simply offensive and silly. "Holy crap, did you just say that?" kind of thing.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
So is/was Don Rickles racist? He'd say shit like "I don't want the black guy to talk." "What are you, Puerto Rican? Get me a coffee." Is it that Tosh isn't saying it to the potentially-offended person's face, but to a crowd of probably-white people?
He does the same thing in his stand up routine, and I for one think it's hilarious.

One of my other favorite stand ups is Russell Peters, originally from here in Ontario. He's East Indian, and makes some very shocking and provocative statements about race that, based on the audiences in his DVDs and TV specials, seem to leave a relatively mixed race audience in stitches.

An interesting article about the race element in his stand-up routine:
http://www.racialicious.com/2008/08/...es-ever-funny/

In all of this, it seems the elephant in the room is that one comic is white, while the "other" is a person of color. "Othering" seems to me to be the issue which makes Tosh as contentious as he is. You can argue whether this is good or not, but in the coming years and decades of the 21st century, I really see us moving away from white as the racial normative, and male as the gender normative, which I think has interesting implications for the realm of entertainment.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I disagree. Let's go with a concrete example from the show: "Is It Racist?" (For those not wanting to click on it (or who can't), it's a clip of a black man with a ton of bling on throwing $100 bills out on a pool table. Tosh then puts up a response video of him going through his "I'm really white" act, and showing his tax returns, talking a bit about his investment portfolio, talks about not wearing jewelry ("I'm against conflict diamonds..."), then pulls out his diploma ("This is called a college degree..."), and goes through his wallet where he has $47 in cash ("this is used for tipping. You see, tipping is something you do when someone provides you a service...").)

That hits a TON of racial stereotypes - but is it racist? No. It makes fun of the absurdity of someone posting a YouTube video of themselves with a ton of cash and bling on. The tipping thing is a racial jab, but it's a joke so old and tired that bringing it up can't be anything other than ironic.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 AM

That was the least ironic reference to anything I've ever seen called unquestionably ironic. If he was just giving an ironic nod to some antiquated belief, you'd think he wouldn't immediately explain the "joke" by pointing out why he brought up tipping in the first place.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:

There's one big racist joke in True Stories I Made Up where he talks about, if your plane crashed in the mountains and you had to eat the other passengers to stay alive, what would other ethnicities taste like? He brings up Chinese and Mexicans, which I don't remember, but then he goes, "Get ready. Black people? Taste like chicken! *serious* All's fair. White people...you don't eat white people. I'm sorry. That's how that joke has to end." It's not about laughing at non-white people, though, it's about making his audience uncomfortable.
Exactly - making people laugh at their own discomfort by making light of taboo subjects that aren't joked about in polite society is the whole point of black humor. Somebody's seriously missing the point if they hear that joke and say to themselves "Ha ha, it's funny 'cause it's true! Black people really do taste like chicken! You really don't eat white people!"
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I disagree. Let's go with a concrete example from the show: "Is It Racist?" (For those not wanting to click on it (or who can't), it's a clip of a black man with a ton of bling on throwing $100 bills out on a pool table. Tosh then puts up a response video of him going through his "I'm really white" act, and showing his tax returns, talking a bit about his investment portfolio, talks about not wearing jewelry ("I'm against conflict diamonds..."), then pulls out his diploma ("This is called a college degree..."), and goes through his wallet where he has $47 in cash ("this is used for tipping. You see, tipping is something you do when someone provides you a service...").)

That hits a TON of racial stereotypes - but is it racist? No. It makes fun of the absurdity of someone posting a YouTube video of themselves with a ton of cash and bling on. The tipping thing is a racial jab, but it's a joke so old and tired that bringing it up can't be anything other than ironic.
I can see the irony in this particular bit.

But I was watching an episode where there was a black family. The father and his young daughter were doing a complicated basketball dunking trick. And one of Tosh's comments was how the really amazing thing about the video was that a black father was spending time with his child. Or another video where Tosh's comments included a couple of jokes about Mexicans smelling bad.

These had nothing to do with the content of the video clip. The only connection was that there were black people or Spanish people in the clip so Tosh made some racist jokes.

If these same jokes were being made at a Tea Party protest or on the Rush Limbaugh show, people would be all over it with protests. So why is Tosh.0 getting a pass on doing the same thing?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
If these same jokes were being made at a Tea Party protest or on the Rush Limbaugh show, people would be all over it with protests. So why is Tosh.0 getting a pass on doing the same thing?
Because Tea Partyers, while saying and doing some pretty funny/stupid things, aren't playing it for laughs?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
As thinksnow said, they're not saying it for laughs. I would also think that Rush or a bunch of Tea Partyers wouldn't be giving equal time to making fun of every other demographic out there, which Tosh certainly does. It's hard to paint Tosh with the racist brush when the next joke he makes is just as likely to be about his own demographic as it is some other group.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM

It is a tricky thing, because there's lots of shades and greys when it comes to humor. Why is it okay from one person and not another? You can't even fall back on "you can make fun of your own race but not others" because guys like Tosh and Rickles go after everyone, and it's understood that they're just fucking around.

I think that's the crux of it. Somehow these guys give the impression that they don't actually mean what they're saying. They're saying it for the shock value, but in the end it's all in fun. On the other hand, there are times when a white guy telling racial jokes can come off as racist, because for whatever reason he's giving off the vibe that, while he may not believe what he's saying, he's still saying it to denigrate the people he's talking about.

It's those "somehows" and "for whatever reasons" that make it so difficult to figure out. It's not something that can easily be objectively defined.

ETA: And then there's guys like Chris Rock, who has an entire segment on why he loves black people but hates niggers. He identifies them as a subculture of black people, like whites have their white trash, but he still rips into every stereotype about blacks. And it does come off that it's not entirely in fun, and he really dislikes the shit some people pull. And, yeah, other than it being a black man talking about other black people, it does come off as nasty and a little racist. But I'm there laughing with everyone else. I can't really explain why Rock gets a pass here, other than he's absolutely fricking hilarious.

Last edited by Bosstone; 09-03-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Old 09-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
For the same reason Jon Stewarts takedown of Crossfire. One is supposed to be serious and the other is done for comedic effect.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
[If these same jokes were being made at a Tea Party protest or on the Rush Limbaugh show, people would be all over it with protests. So why is Tosh.0 getting a pass on doing the same thing?
Because he's not actually a bigot. He's not making the joke to express his true feelings on race and give those in the audience a chance to laugh along because they agree, he's making the joke because it's so clearly over the line. In his standup he sometimes warns his audience ahead of time and apologizes at the beginning of his act. On his show he's also cracked jokes at a seriously disturbing video of a guy in a trampoline accident getting a compound fracture of the ankle - the joke isn't that he actually thinks compound fractures are funny and that much of his audience secretly agrees, the joke is that somebody would actually joke about that.

Last edited by pravnik; 09-03-2010 at 12:58 PM..
Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 PM

That trampoline video haunts me to this day.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Daniel Tosh raped and killed my father!
Instead of stopping him or calling the cops, you filmed it and posted it on YouTube.

And for that, we thank you.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
He just tells racist jokes for the laughs.
A comedian telling racist jokes? Do go on.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:46 PM

If you go to a comedy club in any major city, you will see black guys making fun of white guys, white guys making fun of black guys, and Asians making fun of whoever they feel like. The atmosphere is generally festive, and no one takes it seriously. I think it does more to bring races together than the oversensitive nagging about what constitutes appropriate humor.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
The tipping thing is a racial jab, but it's a joke so old and tired that bringing it up can't be anything other than ironic.
Being from Western Canada I was completely unaware of the apparent racially-based trends regarding tipping in the U.S., and acknowledge that there may be an intended connotation with that, however it should be noted that the actual statement about tipping was carefully not racist: "I am told that people who wear a lot of jewelery and carry large amounts of cash are the worst tippers."

This generic observation is totally non-racial and rings true for food service workers even in areas where race isn't a polarizing issue. (Say this here and most waitrons will understand that you're referring to American tourists of every stripe, shade, and hue -- the cheap bastids.)
Old 09-04-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo
... Or another video where Tosh's comments included a couple of jokes about Mexicans smelling bad.

These had nothing to do with the content of the video clip. The only connection was that there were black people or Spanish people in the clip so Tosh made some racist ...
I kind of feel a need to point this out. While it doesn't really bother me as being of Mexican heritage, there are quite a few people that find this really offensive: calling non-Spanish Hispanics "Spanish". Doing so in the context of knowing that they are not Spanish is on par with using the word "colored". It's not the the Spanish are bad, but it seems to have air of 'whatever' to it.

My 2 cents and all, seeing as this is a thread on racism.

Last edited by Bad News Baboon; 09-04-2010 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: Messed up quote function
Old 09-04-2010, 03:12 AM
BANNED

I think the term "Spanish" is probably very specific to the Eastern Coast, and time-gone-by linguistically as controversial as "Negro". Hell, Even "Boricua" were known as "Spanish", once upon time and place. It's just time eating away at the same stereotypes. None of the words are demolished, they are simply translated and twisted to newer shinier words. .
Old 09-04-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Thing is, is it racist? I think most of the time, when someone is "getting away with it," they aren't racist and neither is their audience; it's less that people are laughing because it's true, and more that they're laughing because it's simply offensive and silly. "Holy crap, did you just say that?" kind of thing.
When a bunch of people are sitting around telling and laughing at jokes that turn on clearly racist notions, yes, I call those racist jokes. I understand that teller and audience may not be committed bigots (like, say, Ariovistus and friends)--but I do find it a little suspicious when they go to some lengths to deny that there's any racism involved, that we're all engaged in a big meta game making fun of the real racists. Especially when it emerges that, in fact, committed bigots are laughing too. There are some approving mentions of Tosh on the "chimpout" site, including a link to the same "Is it racist?" routine linked here, and the endorsement,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Igger
Daniel tosh is about the most openly racist TV personality on these days.
How much does that "irony" really matter when, in some cases, exactly the same material works for genuine, self-identified nigger-haters?

Quote:
I don't see how a routine for which a shared knowledge of racist stereotypes is a prerequisite for the humor can be construed as anything but racist. "Ironic" or not, if the joke is based on perceived differences between "races," it's a racist joke, just as a joke which relies on an understanding that men are stupid or women are crazy is, by definition, a sexist joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
If you go to a comedy club in any major city, you will see black guys making fun of white guys, white guys making fun of black guys, and Asians making fun of whoever they feel like. The atmosphere is generally festive, and no one takes it seriously. I think it does more to bring races together than the oversensitive nagging about what constitutes appropriate humor.
Let me be clear: I'm not nagging anyone about the acceptability of their humor. I've laughed at Tosh, and Chris Rock, a time or two myself.

But I think repeating notions about ingrained differences between groups of different skin color range--humorously or not--is maintenance of separations between "races," not bridging. Yes, black people and white people and Asians may be laughing in the same nightclub (although I notice there are few truly mixed audiences; IME most of these comedians address crowds primarily the same color as themselves, with a sprinkling of others)--but they leave with a reinforced consciousness of themselves and each other as defined in those terms.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I don't see how a routine for which a shared knowledge of racist stereotypes is a prerequisite for the humor can be construed as anything but racist. "Ironic" or not, if the joke is based on perceived differences between "races," it's a racist joke, just as a joke which relies on an understanding that men are stupid or women are crazy is, by definition, a sexist joke.
You've got a faulty premise there - I don't think a "shared knowledge of racist stereotypes" is a requirement at all. Laughter is nervous release, and so any subject that there is natural tension about is generally going to be a good vein to mine for laughs.

There is a huge difference between this routine and humour that is actually racist. (eg; "Why do [X] [Y]?" jokes, where [Z] references a derogatory ethnic stereotype.) This routine invites the audience to look a clip of a giant douchebag, dares them not to laugh, and further asks us to speculate "Is it racist?" to laugh at this particular specimen of Nimbus Giganticus. The rational answer to this question is "No," because the demonstrated behaviour clearly demands ridicule, and would be no less funny if the specimen was a member of that closely-related subspecies known vernacularly as an Oompa Loompa of the Jersey Shore. The response video mocks the original's deficiencies in taste, class, and intellect and does not depend on or refer to race at all.

Is the young man's ostentatious display a fair target for ridicule? If not, why not? Does race really enter into what makes it ludicrous?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:11 PM

The first video in that routine is ludicrous, sure. Most Westerners of any color would find it so. But the joke is not just "look at this douchebag"--Tosh wouldn't have a routine or a show if that's all he did. The joke, such as it is, is the whole presentation, both videos plus the title. The title, and Tosh's own regular-white-guy persona, frame the second video, even before it begins, as being not merely normality contrasted with ludicrousness, but normal whiteness contrasted with ludicrous blackness. It makes the guy in the first video a symbol for black people, not for douchebags--no wonder it got a notice from the chimpout crew. A non-black person in the first video couldn't have been mocked in the same exact way (and wouldn't have been the basis for a Tosh routine) because they wouldn't be playing so perfectly into some of the most ludicrous stereotypes of their ethnicity. A similar thing could have been done for Italian-American "guidos" or any other identifiable group, but the particulars would be very different.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:03 PM

The occasional racist joke on Tosh 2.0 surprised me, but when I watched his stand up, I suddenly "got" it. It's part of his persona. He's much like a postmodern George Carlin, IMHO, hidden in the body of a frat boy. The biggest joke is that eventually, even the most liberal open-minded person is going to find their discomfort zone within his routine. His intent is to push and push and push, until finally those smug smarmy bastards who were laughing easily at the beginning are suddenly shocked into silence and realize that they, too, have hang-ups.

I think it works better in his stand up than on the show, but again, it's part of who he is and his schtick as a comic, to drive "open-minded" people into finding those subjects where they're no longer willing to open their minds. Just like Carlin.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM

I had a minor epiphany today about why guys like Tosh and Rickles can tell racist jokes and "get away with it." Consider a roller coaster. We get in the coaster and it sends us through 3-5 minutes of sheer gut-dropping terror as we go through free-falls and loops. Our bodies are telling us we're in mortal peril, but we're laughing and screaming in fun, not terror, and we don't sue the ride manufacturer later. Same with horror movies. We love to get ourselves good and scared, both physically and mentally.

Why are these okay? Fear is a bad thing, why do we subject ourselves to it and enjoy it? Because it's "safe". We know the killer in the movie isn't real and we know the roller coaster isn't going to drive us into the ground or throw us out of our seats. Similarly, we're okay with hearing racist material from comedians who come across as "safe," who we can tell aren't the real thing, so it's okay to experience a negative feeling (discomfort, in this case, or even actually an us/them dichotomy) and still laugh about it.

As soon as that feeling of safety goes away -- the roller coaster breaks mid-ride, the horror movie turns out to be a real recording, the comedian really does seem to be racist -- the enjoyment goes away completely.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Its comedy, take a chill pill, maybe 2 or 3 since u stressin and relaaaxxxxxx. obnoxious I know :)

It's comedy! I think one should be allowed to cross any line regardless of its vulgarity in order to preserve our G-d given right to laugh at whatever makes us laugh. Its comedy, not the state of the union. It doesn't have even a remote direct affect on ur life like say, a serious political speech. And its not one for all, not everyone enjoys the same type of comedy, and not everyone will laugh at an awesome joke! but once u start editing and limiting what one can say, ya open the floodgates to censor anything that every average joe gets upset about. And sure powerful groups do get their way sometimes and do get things censored.. I'm mainly talking about powerful religious groups say for example christian/catholic reps, but f**& em, they're prob all upset cause their *&^$'s to small, or Johnny's got a nasty drug habit cause u were to hard on him as a child, or ur wife is committing adultery. Anyone of these reasons is most likely a result of no laughter in your household! and regardless let those stress-heads darwinate themselves. comedy and laughter is one of the best things we got and acouple of sour ppl in the room is def worth its preservation. And Tosh def goes around the room if ya know what i mean...Ya just cant processes it like that. Remember..the best jokes are about the most serious topics. Have a good day.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
He just tells racist jokes for the laughs.

So how is he getting a pass on this?
He somehow makes the joke about racism, and not a racist remark about a person (see also Dave Chappelle). He manages to poke fun at himself constantly, and self deprecating humor turns insults into jokes (see also Joan Rivers).
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM

P.s. He does hide behind a comic curtain so to speak when it comes to racism. But I don't believe he's a racist beyond a joke or two, he just knows how to make ppl laugh. Racism is still sadly a part of our culture. Won't deny it, but joking about it, I think is putting it in a form where we all can accept it, black n white, and just like a recovering addict will tell you ( which is up there with the hardest of hard diseases to overcome because 99% is pure mental willpower v. pleasure seeking bodily urges) in order to beat it, u must accept it, learn coping skills, and its a lifelong battle, only thru time do u get better at dealing. Bigotry has been going on for how long, hundreds of years, and its going to take at least that for it to go away. We're still in step 1, accepting, coping, and learning... Joking about it is a way to do that. D@mn, I mean we still haven't got rid of the bigot virus's that live and teach their children their ways yet. And those people hurt all of us by bringing violence into a peaceful democracy. Im just gunna ramble forever so.. I'm new to the blogg, what up.

Last edited by NikBag; 01-30-2012 at 02:52 PM..