The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

How much for a Fabergé spider brooch?

On Pawn Stars a woman came into the shop with a spider brooch. She's hoped to get $2,000. Rick said he'd love to pay her $2,000, but he has a conscience. He offered her $15,000 for it (which she took, after trying to get more).

Curious, I found this Fabergé spider brooch, which looks similar. It sold at auction for $1,700 plus $382.50 buyer's premium.

Question: How much are these things worth? Did Rick screw himself? Or did the auction winner get an incredible deal? (I'm guessing the former, but I don't know. That's why I'm asking.)
Advertisements  
Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 AM

Don't know much about that particular item, but the one you link to has pretty crap diamonds. JKL colour, SI (which means you can see faults with the naked eye). I would have expected better quality diamonds for Faberge, so perhaps this is a repro, or hers was better quality>
Old 09-07-2010, 04:35 AM

If the Pawn Stars one contained better gems and platinum instead of silver, I could see it being worth a great deal more than that one.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 AM

Well clearly since they don't mention that it has Faberge hallmarks, just Russian hallmarks, I assume it is not a Faberge.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyOgre View Post
If the Pawn Stars one contained better gems and platinum instead of silver, I could see it being worth a great deal more than that one.
It did contain platinum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Well clearly since they don't mention that it has Faberge hallmarks, just Russian hallmarks, I assume it is not a Faberge.
Ah. I didn't notice that since my search was on Fabergé; and since the one on the show came in a Fabergé box, I assumed the 'fitted wooden box' mentioned in the auction was the same.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Did Rick screw himself?
I could be wrong on this but I'd wager that if Rick had screwed himself then the show's producers would have made sure to show that fact later in the show. The fact that they didn't is a pretty good reason to accept that Rick and probably the customer as well got something resembling a fair deal.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

$5 says that if the cameras weren't there, Rick would have given her $2000.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Did Rick screw himself?
This one caught my attention as well. I know Russian coins and Russian silver better than jewelry but I thought he overpaid. Possibly he took a shot because of the cameras - the advertising value they ad to the value of the stuff he buys and his ability to resell it. I could see someone calling or visiting the store and saying "I want that pin I saw on your show" no matter how overpriced. And even if they don't, look at the number of customers that airing will bring in. Win win for him.

Last edited by kopek; 09-07-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I just watched this episode an hour ago, and I said much the same thing.

mmm
Old 09-07-2010, 10:02 PM

Their business model seems to be, "buy for one-third the value, sell for two-thirds". Not a bad plan - people coming to that kind of an operation are looking for a quick sale, and the buyer and seller ultimately make about the same on the deal. If you have the time to go about selling the goods through more formal channels, you can get more - but you have to wait for it.

Based on the two-thirds/one-third rule in this case, I'd guess the value of the broach was probably $40K-50K. If she sent it off to Southeby's, she'd clear 30 or so on it. But that would take months.

History Channel was running a marathon on this show yesterday. I hadn't seen it before, but got thoroughly hooked on it.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Spider brooch

Similiar Brooches sell at Chrities rarely for 500,000 to 2.5 million

Sapphire, Diamond, Ruby, Silver, Gold Brooch, RussianThe brooch, designed as a spider, features a round-cut sapphire measuring approximately 5.50 - 5.55 mm, enhanced by round-cut sapphires, accented by round-cut rubies all set in 14k pink gold, further enhanced by single and full-cut diamonds weighing a total of approximately 0.75 carat, set in silver. The brooch is accompanied by a fitted wooden box. Russian hallmarks evident. Gross weight 34.20 grams.Dimensions: 2-1/2 inches x 2-7/8 inches Condition Report: BroochDiamondsAverage Color: JKLAverage Clarity: SI, IShapes; Round, Single-cutDiamond Count: 76-100Colored Gemstones: Ruby, SapphireShapes: RoundGemstone Count: 1-25Notes: Stamped 56 (14k Russia)

He got a incredible deal and he knew it.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 PM

Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Clearly you can see the marking for Faberge at the apex, it is real. I deal in this type of jewerly all the time.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl From Mars View Post
Don't know much about that particular item, but the one you link to has pretty crap diamonds. JKL colour, SI (which means you can see faults with the naked eye). I would have expected better quality diamonds for Faberge, so perhaps this is a repro, or hers was better quality>
from my view. It was J, VVS, nice girdle and crown...on most of the diamonds. maybe it needed some cleaning...
Old 11-21-2010, 02:37 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by umalumni2002 View Post
Clearly you can see the marking for Faberge at the apex, it is real. I deal in this type of jewerly all the time.
You can see the markings? Where? What image? Am I missing something?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

The episode just aired again on Sunday. Maybe he could see it on the show?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:31 PM

If you watched the episode with the brooch, it was much bigger, and more elaborate. (And like the others, I see no markings whatsoever)

(Also, I don't believe Rick would've cheated her. People seem to get this idea that Pawn Stars are "omg, they're CHEATING EVERYONE THEY'RE SO CROOKED!!!" but they have to make a profit too.)
Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Unless someone can direct me to an image of a spider with markings by Faberge, I'm gonna assume our new friend, umalumni2002, who hasn't been back since bring this up a few days ago, is talking through his hat.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:55 AM

The one on the show was a lot bigger.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 AM

I just saw this episode last night.

I got a kick out of the guy who wanted to sell the Civil War case for 150k, but the old man only offered him 3k.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM

The times that I have been to pawn shops the stuff they sell is way overpriced, to the point that it doesn't even seem worth bargaining. Are they really going to negotiate 50% off their prices, or are they just waiting for idiots to come in the store?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
I just saw this episode last night.
GAH! I saw that that one was a rerun, and I didn't see the brooch in the description; so I deleted it!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse12 View Post
this guy posted the value of brooch

http://randomlyheard.com/?p=10
Um, "Well I have found it, It turns out the faberge spider brooch is worth an estimated $80k! " isn't much of a cite. Hardly enough to raise this zombie...
Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Probably, but Rick makes a good bit of cash simply because the cameras are there. When I was in Vegas this past March, I drove by the shop and there was a line to get in the place.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

We generally drive past the place every time we are in town. Same thing...line down the street. Rick's no dummy. They are making bank on that show. Enough that I'll bet the Old Man actually smiles when he gets his check.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 PM

To get back to the original topic, I'm still of the opinion that the spider brooch was NOT FABERGE. It just wasn't. I"ve seen nothing offered to say it was.

By FABERGE, I mean an item created in the workshop of Peter Carl Faberge prior to 1918.

At best, it's a modern(1950-today) imitation.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 PM

More updates. Looks like Pawnstars may not have made the best appraisal decision in throwing 15K at that brooch.

Quote:
The Faberge company speaks up

There's the House of Faberge company. The possibility of a Faberge spider brooch got them involved. The reports of a Faberge spider brooch are "untrue and unfounded" according to spokeswoman for the company Tatiana Zherebkina who sent an e-mail to "Time" magazine while stating that an eight legged brooch does “not fit into the luxury jeweler’s creative vision.” Interesting to note is that this is actually the new Faberge company. All records on the company aren't even there. All of the jeweler's workshops were ransacked in 1917. In Switzerland, Peter Carl Faberge died. There was then a 92 year wait before his descendants re-launched the firm. The Faberge spider brooch might be a very expensive piece of spider jewelry or may actually be the artwork expected.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
That article which was cited in that seemingly pointless blog-post, refers to interest in, and rumors that Faberge makes a spider brooch currently. It has nothing to do with the brooch they bought on pawn stars.

You can also bet that before he paid $15,000 he had an expert look at it off camera. Remember, this is TV here and that entire exchange between the two was probably set up well in advance. Rich doesn't actually stand there all day and say "what do you got there buddy?" to random people hoping that one of them has a treasure while the camera is on him. All those people and items on the show are screened like crazy.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:59 AM

Did you guys stop for a second and remember that we are talking about a TV show ?

The producers of can bring any thing they whant to the show...it is a show, it is a tv show..who will take a tv show for real ?...

It is tv show, not real life!!

Faberge jewellery in a original box for $ US 2000 ? We better start to get our references in the real world !

Thanks!!

Last edited by ginofrater; 10-11-2011 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: forgot thanks rss
Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1bu1 View Post
The times that I have been to pawn shops the stuff they sell is way overpriced, to the point that it doesn't even seem worth bargaining. Are they really going to negotiate 50% off their prices, or are they just waiting for idiots to come in the store?
I managed to negotiate a watch tagged at $120 down to $15 in a pawn shop in Durham, NC a few years back without even trying, so... sometimes.
I'll stop this part of the hi-jack right here. There are, however, at least 3 or 4 different pawn shop business models. Most of them do NOT work like the ones that get TV shows.