The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Rigamarole Rigamarole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Why do black people like steaks well-done?

As with any thread that starts with "Why do black people..." I expect some casual flames and snarky comments. So be it, but I feel that in 2+ years working as a server I gathered enough observational data to make this claim with a reasonable degree of confidence. And before you say "I'm black and I order mine medium-rare", or "my best friend's cousin's neighbor's lawyer's daughter is black, and she slaughters her own cows and eats their flesh raw": I don't give a shit. In the aforementioned time period, whenever a black person ordered a steak and I asked them how they would like it prepared, the answer was inevitably "well-done" with the occasional "medium-well", but not once did one order it medium or below. So as I'm sure there are exceptions, the fact remains that a preference for a well-done steak is a very strong trend among this community.

I'm guessing there is a cultural or social reason for it, but I'm ignorant as to what it might be.
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Does well-done steak complement the taste of menthols?

Either way, I have high hopes for this thread.
__________________
"You're a veritable wise man when it comes to human relations, AClockworkMelon." Freudian Slit
  #3  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 PM
ivn1188 ivn1188 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Why do white people like their steaks rare?
  #4  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Rigamarole Rigamarole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivn1188 View Post
Why do white people like their steaks rare?
I can't speak for white people, but I like mine medium-rare personally. It's much juicier and more flavorful that way.
  #5  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Tom Tildrum Tom Tildrum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Falls Church, Va.
Posts: 9,741
(Assuming for the sake of argument the validity of the OP's observation): Old cultural ties to a southern-cuisine tendency to cook the hell out of everything?
  #6  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Amblydoper Amblydoper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
...I feel that in 2+ years working as a server I gathered enough observational data to make this claim....
How many different restaurants?
How many different parts of the US?
How many different price points?

Unless you forgot a zero after that "2" you just don't have enough data to make this claim. I think this thread belongs in CS.
  #7  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 PM
ivn1188 ivn1188 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
(Assuming for the sake of argument the validity of the OP's observation): Old cultural ties to a southern-cuisine tendency to cook the hell out of everything?
My guess as well. Lots of soul food/southern food/etc, and a lot of Caribbean food was cooked with open flame, and getting a nice char is an important part of the flavor profile on many of the dishes. Plus, beef was less common compared to game animals (and seafood), which tend to get cooked more thoroughly.

Add in the prevalence of long slow cooked dishes with rice and other grains, and it doesn't seem far off that cooking steaks to well would be unusual.
  #8  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Kinthalis Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
I think it's a money thing.

I'm going to go ahead and say that it's poor people. Poor people eat their steaks over cooked to hell.

Don't flame me!

Last edited by Kinthalis; 09-24-2010 at 09:51 PM..
  #9  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Paul in Qatar Paul in Qatar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
I for one, cannot stand the sight of blood on my plate. I am always sending steaks back (or not ordering the steak at all in 'fancy' places). I think I am white.
  #10  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 PM
ataraxy22 ataraxy22 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,283
I'm a white person and I like my steak well done.
  #11  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Uber_the_Goober Uber_the_Goober is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: My Computer, PA
Posts: 1,246
How about an ancillary question, the answer to which may add to your OP: Why do black people favor "Red Lobster"?

I think it's a cultural thing. Steaks ordered well done taste a lot more like salisbury steak, and are therefore more familiar. *rim shot*

Yes that was a low blow...but I still think it applies. Stereotypes exist for a reason: there's got to be a trend SOMEWHERE.
  #12  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 PM
sitchensis sitchensis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Black, White, Asian, the poorer working class segments of society have always had the cheaper cuts of meat and less of it. Meatloaf is a will done meat dish used by the poorer classes to stretch hamburger into a roast with bread crumbs and eggs. Poorer cuts of meat have been ultra-tenderized and fried to make country fried steak. Soups and stews, slow cooked BBQ. From my own experience rare meat is the exception to the rule. I’m a white guy, I love a rare steak, but my family growing up was the first generation you could call middle class or upper middle class. My Dad never ate steak growing up and never a good quality rare one.
If your guess has any basis in truth I would assume it would have to be more about relative wealth than race, and as its human nature to strive to and glorify the habits of the wealthy. I believe it would only a matter of time and rare steak would be equally popular.
  #13  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Rigamarole Rigamarole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblydoper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
...I feel that in 2+ years working as a server I gathered enough observational data to make this claim....
How many different restaurants?
How many different parts of the US?
How many different price points?

Unless you forgot a zero after that "2" you just don't have enough data to make this claim. I think this thread belongs in CS.
3 restaurants - some more casual (i.e. cheaper) than others and one was pretty upscale. All in L.A., but we get a lot of travelers and people who've moved here from all over. It's not a perfect cross-section, but still a pretty eclectic mix. And I served hundreds if not thousands of black people. That's more than enough for a statistically valid sample size. So actually, I do have plenty of data. Unless you can prove otherwise with data that you've collected that goes contrary to my claim.

Last edited by Rigamarole; 09-24-2010 at 10:09 PM..
  #14  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
SeaDragonTattoo SeaDragonTattoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago, Far Northsider
Posts: 5,520
**hands over eyes**

I can't watch.

**peeking through fingers**
  #15  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Todderbob Todderbob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
It's not a race thing, it's a culture thing.

"White" folks who are poor, and "black" folks who are rich tend to reflect their economic status, not their racial one, in their choices. Same goes visa-versa.

ETA: my grandpa won't eat steak that's not cooked to leather. He's white. Really, really, really white.

Last edited by Todderbob; 09-24-2010 at 10:10 PM..
  #16  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Rigamarole Rigamarole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxy22 View Post
I'm a white person and I like my steak well done.
Like I said in the OP: don't give a shit, doesn't matter, doesn't answer the question.
  #17  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Jackmannii Jackmannii is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Wow, I like steak medium-well or even well done.

I must be a Negro.

If only I had rhythm.
  #18  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Jackmannii Jackmannii is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigmarole
And I served hundreds if not thousands of black people. That's more than enough for a statistically valid sample size.
Ah, but have you published?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigmarole
I can't speak for white people, but I like mine medium-rare personally. It's much juicier and more flavorful that way.
That's just anecdotal evidence, and not statistically valid. At least the "more flavorful" part. I suspect that there are indeed more bodily fluids gurgling out of underdone meat.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 09-24-2010 at 10:16 PM..
  #19  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Rigamarole Rigamarole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
Black, White, Asian, the poorer working class segments of society have always had the cheaper cuts of meat and less of it. Meatloaf is a will done meat dish used by the poorer classes to stretch hamburger into a roast with bread crumbs and eggs. Poorer cuts of meat have been ultra-tenderized and fried to make country fried steak. Soups and stews, slow cooked BBQ. From my own experience rare meat is the exception to the rule. Iím a white guy, I love a rare steak, but my family growing up was the first generation you could call middle class or upper middle class. My Dad never ate steak growing up and never a good quality rare one.
If your guess has any basis in truth I would assume it would have to be more about relative wealth than race, and as its human nature to strive to and glorify the habits of the wealthy. I believe it would only a matter of time and rare steak would be equally popular.
Interesting theory. If you're going to order a steak though, why does the length of cooking time imply economic status? Are you just saying that being accustomed to other dishes that tend to be well-done makes one more likely to order it well-done? I could see that I suppose.
  #20  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:17 PM
moejoe moejoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Wow, I like steak medium-well or even well done.

I must be a Negro.

If only I had rhythm.
I'm a vegetarian, but also a pretty good dancer.
  #21  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
I for one, cannot stand the sight of blood on my plate. I am always sending steaks back (or not ordering the steak at all in 'fancy' places). I think I am white.
"The Red Juice in Raw Meat Is Not Blood"
  #22  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 PM
antonio107 antonio107 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivn1188 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
(Assuming for the sake of argument the validity of the OP's observation): Old cultural ties to a southern-cuisine tendency to cook the hell out of everything?
My guess as well. Lots of soul food/southern food/etc, and a lot of Caribbean food was cooked with open flame, and getting a nice char is an important part of the flavor profile on many of the dishes. Plus, beef was less common compared to game animals (and seafood), which tend to get cooked more thoroughly.

Add in the prevalence of long slow cooked dishes with rice and other grains, and it doesn't seem far off that cooking steaks to well would be unusual.
My first thought to the OP (asides from the fact that I never knew blacks had a preference for well done steak) was that two of the most prevalent meats in "soul food" are pork and chicken, both of which you're supposed to cook well done.*

*Well, according to the food network, you no longer need to cook pork well done, because that disease that nearly killed Yul Brenner is no longer prevalent in western pigs. What's that called again?
  #23  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:23 PM
ivn1188 ivn1188 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio107 View Post
*Well, according to the food network, you no longer need to cook pork well done, because that disease that nearly killed Yul Brenner is no longer prevalent in western pigs. What's that called again?
Trichinosis, and there have only been a handful of cases from domestic pork in the last several decades. Most cases in the United States come from wild game these days.
  #24  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Tethered Kite Tethered Kite is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
I think it's a money thing.

I'm going to go ahead and say that it's poor people. Poor people eat their steaks over cooked to hell.

Don't flame me!
I'm also guessing that this is at least part of the answer.

My MIL, who was not Black (nor poor in her later years) cooked the living daylights out of everything. She learned how to cook during the Great Depression. One of the main concerns was that people who prepared their own food couldn't be certain that it didn't contain something which would make them ill. So the solution to try to stay healthy was to overcook.

Another reason I can think of was that, in their early years, it wasn't uncommon for both of them to be doing hard labor on the farm and so she prepared her food early in the morning and it cooked all day on the stove while she worked.
  #25  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
elmwood elmwood is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I must be a Negro.
Do you tip the wait staff?
  #26  
Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 PM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxy22 View Post
I'm a white person and I like my steak well done.
Like I said in the OP: don't give a shit, doesn't matter, doesn't answer the question.
Actually, it does. Your premise is based on the fact that there is something special about black people in that they like their steak differently than everyone else. If enough people come in and post that their observations are different, that means your premise is flawed, and the answer to your question is that you are wrong.

And, really, when you notice the question may be offensive, and may solicit answer you don't want, and don't change your question, you get what you get. Especially when you essentially say you don't "give a shit" if your observation can be invalidated.
  #27  
Old 09-24-2010, 11:40 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post

Like I said in the OP: don't give a shit, doesn't matter, doesn't answer the question.
Actually, it does. Your premise is based on the fact that there is something special about black people in that they like their steak differently than everyone else.
While I disagree with the OP's premise I don't think you've got it quite right. The OP's premise is that black people universally like their steak well-done. A white person also liking well-done steak has no bearing whatsoever on whether black people like well-done steak or not. Unless everyone commented that they like well-done steak, in which case you'd have to consider that well-done steak is simply really popular regardless of race. As if it matters, considering how totally scientific the OP's evidence is.

Last edited by AClockworkMelon; 09-24-2010 at 11:40 PM..
  #28  
Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Rigamarole Rigamarole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post

Like I said in the OP: don't give a shit, doesn't matter, doesn't answer the question.
Actually, it does. Your premise is based on the fact that there is something special about black people in that they like their steak differently than everyone else. If enough people come in and post that their observations are different, that means your premise is flawed, and the answer to your question is that you are wrong.

And, really, when you notice the question may be offensive, and may solicit answer you don't want, and don't change your question, you get what you get. Especially when you essentially say you don't "give a shit" if your observation can be invalidated.
Except I never said anything about anyone but black people, so it's completely irrelevant. Also I at least observed a large number of cases, so a single data point isn't worth jack. For what it's worth, white people's preference pretty much ran the gamut... but black people always ordered well-done.

On edit: what AClockworkMelon said. And by the way Clock - you say you don't agree with my premise. Have you observed a lot of black people ordering rare steaks? (I'm not trying to debate you, I'm genuinely curious. If you have, I'd be curious where you observed that)

Last edited by Rigamarole; 09-24-2010 at 11:48 PM..
  #29  
Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Koxinga Koxinga is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Why is it important on the one hand to recognize that black people have a culture of their own, distinct from the mainstream, and offensive on the other hand to identify and ask about a possible attribute of that culture? I can't think of anything more closely tied to culture than how people prefer their food.

If the peanut gallery could quiet down, I think it's an interesting question.

(One reason I'm curious is that my father in law [not black, mainland Chinese] grew up extremely poor and spent years in a military prison, and though he doesn't seem to prefer a particular style of cooking he puts a lot of emphasis on sheer quantity.)

Last edited by Koxinga; 09-24-2010 at 11:54 PM..
  #30  
Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 PM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
And by the way Clock - you say you don't agree with my premise. Have you observed a lot of black people ordering rare steaks? (I'm not trying to debate you, I'm genuinely curious. If you have, I'd be curious where you observed that)
I have no experience with black people's taste in steak. What's more, I don't think you're lying and I'm sure that black people eating at your place of work order well-done steak lot. I just doubt it's because of their race. Other people in this thread have provided adequate explanations.
  #31  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Crafter_Man Crafter_Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Statistically speaking, there are strong correlations between ethnicity and behavior. Another correlation is that black customers are very poor tippers when compared to Caucasian customers.
  #32  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 AM
don't ask don't ask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 16,040
Estimated total HA intakes by male vs. female children were generally similar, with those by (0- to 15-year-old) children 25% greater than those by (16+-year-old) adults. Race-, age- and sex-specific mean HA intakes were estimated to be greatest for African American males, who were estimated to consume 2- and 3-fold more PhIP than white males at ages <16 and 30+ years, respectively, after considering a relatively greater preference for more well-done items among African Americans based on national survey data.

From here
  #33  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Dag Otto Dag Otto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I must be a Negro.
Do you tip the wait staff?
Only if they don't fuck up his steak by cooking it all to hell.
  #34  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Koxinga Koxinga is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
I just doubt it's because of their race.
Why? There's no such thing as "race" anyway, but going by cultural communities, Chinese people like soy sauce, Southeast Asians like fish sauce (eww) and Koreans like their cabbage prepared so it sets your mouth on fire and you can smell it two days later. Why can't black people like steak well done, as a characteristic attribute of their community?

Last edited by Koxinga; 09-25-2010 at 12:14 AM..
  #35  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 AM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
I just doubt it's because of their race.
Why? There's no such thing as "race" anyway, but going by cultural communities, Chinese people like soy sauce, Southeast Asians like fish sauce (eww) and Koreans like their cabbage prepared so it sets your mouth on fire and you can smell it two days later. Why can't black people like steak well done?
The OP didn't specify a "cultural community". His hypothesis is that people with black skin universally (or nearly universally) like their steak well-done.
  #36  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 AM
don't ask don't ask is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 16,040
Among controls, differences by race included greater intakes of pan-fried red meat, well-/very well done red meat, white meat, and pan-fried chicken and higher MeIQx, DiMeIQx, and mutagenicity exposure among African Americans, and greater grilled/barbecued red meat intake and benzo[a]pyrene exposure among Whites.

From The American Journal of Epidemiology
  #37  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Koxinga Koxinga is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
The OP didn't specify a "cultural community". His hypothesis is that people with black skin universally (or nearly universally) like their steak well-done.
Fine, let's the help the poor boy with his semantics and redefine his observation as "members of the black cultural community, which 90%+ (but not 100%) of the time coincides with people with African American heritage and therefore 90%+ (but not 100%) time correlates with darker skin than your average Scandanavian."*

If now we have genuflected properly before ever nit you wish to pick -- [deep breath] -- will you acknowledge that the OP saw what he saw, and there may be something to it?

*I know, I know, your mother's cousin's roomate's sister is a Scandanavian with dark skin, I was only speaking rhetorically and had no intention of offending her. Don't taze me, bro.

Last edited by Koxinga; 09-25-2010 at 12:22 AM..
  #38  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:29 AM
komolono komolono is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bullfight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivn1188 View Post
Why do white people like their steaks rare?
In Spain, you can order a steak straight from the bullring - less than an hour apart from the event. Eating raw beef may have some unexpected consequences. There was a lot of testosterone in that bull! I think, the restaurant was only for men
ETA: Maybe some people don't need extra testosterone?

Last edited by komolono; 09-25-2010 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Black->some
  #39  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:36 AM
ivn1188 ivn1188 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
The OP didn't specify a "cultural community". His hypothesis is that people with black skin universally (or nearly universally) like their steak well-done.
No, this is the kind of bullshit hypersensitivity that people have been conditioned to use to react to "racism". Hey, news flash: black people are far more likely to wear Fubu than white people. It's not racist, it's cultural. Move on. When talking about "black people" in the U.S., it inevitably refers to a certain socio-economic ethnicity which there is no good name for. Come up with your own name, like ebono-centric southern english transplantation culture, or whatever, but you know exactly what people are talking about, and pretending you don't is just being intentionally obtuse.

No one in this thread except for the overly-sensitive is in any way correlating dark skin with well-done steak. What people are correlating is that the predominant culture of African-Americans of generally southern descent enjoy meat well done, and a very large percentage of that culture is black. Move on, or don't participate in the thread if all you have to offer is some goofy platitude about being color-blind and how there are exceptions to the generality presented. You're building a big strawman whose only purpose is to give you the ability to feel holier-than-thou about an issue. It's like the fact that there are plenty of black nascar fans, but the vast majority are white, rural, and southern. That's not racist either. Get over it.

Last edited by ivn1188; 09-25-2010 at 12:39 AM..
  #40  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:38 AM
ivn1188 ivn1188 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by komolono View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivn1188 View Post
Why do white people like their steaks rare?
In Spain, you can order a steak straight from the bullring - less than an hour apart from the event. Eating raw beef may have some unexpected consequences. There was a lot of testosterone in that bull! I think, the restaurant was only for men
ETA: Maybe some people don't need extra testosterone?
Naah, Spain is basically the southern confederacy of Europe. Eating raw or nearly raw bull meat is an expression of machismo. Allowing the ladies to participate would cheapen the experience.
  #41  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Rigamarole Rigamarole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Among controls, differences by race included greater intakes of pan-fried red meat, well-/very well done red meat, white meat, and pan-fried chicken and higher MeIQx, DiMeIQx, and mutagenicity exposure among African Americans, and greater grilled/barbecued red meat intake and benzo[a]pyrene exposure among Whites.

From The American Journal of Epidemiology
Thanks for the cite.
  #42  
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 AM
gaffa gaffa is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivn1188 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by komolono View Post
In Spain, you can order a steak straight from the bullring - less than an hour apart from the event. Eating raw beef may have some unexpected consequences. There was a lot of testosterone in that bull! I think, the restaurant was only for men
ETA: Maybe some people don't need extra testosterone?
Naah, Spain is basically the southern confederacy of Europe. Eating raw or nearly raw bull meat is an expression of machismo. Allowing the ladies to participate would cheapen the experience.
That sounds like a terrible idea and is the exact opposite of how you get a flavorful steak - aging it for a week at the very least, preferably several weeks.
  #43  
Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 AM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivn1188 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
The OP didn't specify a "cultural community". His hypothesis is that people with black skin universally (or nearly universally) like their steak well-done.
No, this is the kind of bullshit hypersensitivity that people have been conditioned to use to react to "racism". Hey, news flash: black people are far more likely to wear Fubu than white people. It's not racist, it's cultural. Move on. When talking about "black people" in the U.S., it inevitably refers to a certain socio-economic ethnicity which there is no good name for. Come up with your own name, like ebono-centric southern english transplantation culture, or whatever, but you know exactly what people are talking about, and pretending you don't is just being intentionally obtuse.
Maybe you missed my first post. I'm not "hypersensitive" and if you think I am you must not be familiar with me or my posts. The point was that others have suggested that it's poor people who like their steak well-done. Unless I missed the memo blacks are still disproportionately poor compared to whites so it's no fucking surprise that blacks disproportionately like well-done steak. You'll have to excuse me if I inadvertently became an obtuse prick in the post of mine that you're quoting but don't mistake it for fear of being labeled racist.
  #44  
Old 09-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Koxinga Koxinga is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
The point was that others have suggested that it's poor people who like their steak well-done.
I've seen that suggestion, but nothing to back it up. And as I may have mentioned, I've known people who have firsthand experience of very poor backgrounds -- poorer than almost any Americans ever would have experienced, even African Americans -- and they don't have any hangups over food preparation beyond insisting that it's always available. So color me unconvinced.

So if it doesn't ruffle your feathers too badly, I hope we can keep talking about the topic at hand. A prissy "we gave you a possible, speculative answer to this purported observation of yours, so I declare there's no need to keep talking about it" kind of goes against the spirit of the SDMB, don't you think?
  #45  
Old 09-25-2010, 01:52 AM
AClockworkMelon AClockworkMelon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
I've seen that suggestion, but nothing to back it up.
Just like there's been nothing to back up that blacks like well-done steak other than the OP's anecdotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga
A prissy "we gave you a possible, speculative answer to this purported observation of yours, so I declare there's no need to keep talking about it" kind of goes against the spirit of the SDMB, don't you think?
I didn't call for a cease of discussion. I was telling him what my disagreement with his premise was. If anything, accepting something like "black people like their steak well-done!" as gospel because of an OP's unverified reports is against the spirit of the SDMB.
  #46  
Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 AM
astro astro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Why is this a brain teaser or an opportunity to do the smug "that's racist" dance?

The OP's observations are largely correct WRT black culinary preferences (the high quality kind you normally grill) is, on average, an expensive meat. The usual connoisseurs of rare steak are middle to upper middle class white (and interestingly) Hispanic males, and in many cases there is near fetish for how to do steak "right". I'm sure there are black people that love themselves a rare steak, but they are not the usual suspects.

People who do not grow up eating or appreciating rare steak are unlikely to become converts later in life. Most black people who are not from a socio economic context where rare steak eating was a big deal or particularly appreciated are not usually going to want a big bloody steak at restaurants.

Last edited by astro; 09-25-2010 at 02:09 AM..
  #47  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:02 AM
aruvqan aruvqan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 15,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio107 View Post
*Well, according to the food network, you no longer need to cook pork well done, because that disease that nearly killed Yul Brenner is no longer prevalent in western pigs. What's that called again?
I never knew lung cancer was caused by eating underdone pork...
  #48  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:10 AM
foolsguinea foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 10,457
Slow-cooked beef has a certain quality that half-raw meat lacks. It's not a matter of turning the fire up high & burning the outsides, it's a matter of taking time with the heat just right. It takes patience, something I hear white people lack.
  #49  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 AM
ivn1188 ivn1188 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio107 View Post
*Well, according to the food network, you no longer need to cook pork well done, because that disease that nearly killed Yul Brenner is no longer prevalent in western pigs. What's that called again?
I never knew lung cancer was caused by eating underdone pork...
Here's what happens when you are a nitpicky smartass:

Someone comes along to point out that lung cancer actually did kill him, as opposed to nearly killing him.

His lawsuit against Trader Vic's is kind of famous. Google it before you smart off. Thanks.

Last edited by ivn1188; 09-25-2010 at 04:18 AM..
  #50  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 AM
MEBuckner MEBuckner is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
Just like there's been nothing to back up that blacks like well-done steak other than the OP's anecdotes.
Actually don't ask has provided a couple of cites that seem to back up the idea that African-Americans have a higher preference for well-done steaks than other people. That doesn't mean it's genetic--I suppose it could be some genetic difference in the umami receptors or whatever; just because "race" is a cultural construct doesn't mean there aren't real genetic differences between different populations--but it's probably more likely cultural.

It could, as suggested, be a socio-economic thing, since poverty correlates with "race" in the U.S. It could also have originated as a socio-economic thing, but become cultural; i.e., a well-to-do black lawyer still orders his steaks well-done because that's how his mama always cooked them (and she cooked them that way because she could only afford cheap cuts of meat); and even the second generation well-to-do black lawyer who grew up in comfortable upper-middle-class surroundings still orders his steaks well-done, because his mama cooked them that way, because his daddy liked them that way, because his mama cooked them that way, because she grew up poor, etc. And then generalize to a whole ethno-cultural group (which a few generations ago suffered near-universal poverty as the legacy of slavery and entrenched racism), and it becomes a cultural thing, like any other ethnic-cultural food preference. All of which is completely speculative, of course.
__________________
"In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves." -- Carl Sagan
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.