fuckers who don't have a clue about common courtesy in snowy regions

seriously? motherfucker. it’s not that hard.

i live in a development that has shared, open parking for the residents. no assigned spots.

1. don’t fucking shovel (or broom your snow off your car) your fucking snow back into my spot (that i just spent 20 minutes clearing and cleaning and not throwing on top of your car)

2. understand that, yes, while these spots are technically first come, first served, there’s a certain unwritten code that deems it my fucking spot when i’ve spent time digging it out and cleaning it out properly.
    assholes.

Can the residents kick in for a snow removal service?

no, it’s an apartment parking lot. the property company comes and plows the streets and the spaces (when there are no cars in it, obvs). but usually the snowplow leaves a fair bit of shit on the road, which, after one or two freeze cycles, turns into a nice pile of ice.

i realize that I made it seem a lot more community/HOA kind of a place than what it is.

Yeah! Cut that out!

I grew up in Minnesota and I think that statement negated all of your arguments. Sorry man, your management company should be taking care of the lot.

People who think clearing the snow out of a parking spot makes it their spot are a step above child molesters and serial killers but a step below gang leaders and dictators on the Great Hierarchy of Assholes.

no, they are. many people don’t drive daily in my complex for whatever reason. I (and other residents) will take time to properly clean out our spaces, clean the snow off so that blacktop is showing and so no ice forms, and then these assholes will basically shovel snow off their car back into your space, clean out the ABSOLUTE minimum required to get their car out of the space, go about their daily business, and then come home and park in a better, more cleaned out space.

(you’re just going to have to trust me on the dynamics of the community when i tell you that they know very well that cars tend to occupy certain spots versus others)

I’m sure farmers would take it off you for free.

moo!

No assigned parking? Then how can they wire the outlets for block heaters back to your individual electrical panels? I’m thinking you just need to move further north. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any asshole that would take a parking spot that was clearly prepared by someone else with hard labour, for their own use is an asshole. Speaking as someone who has just spent four hours shovelling, I understand your pain. I know that you have considered keying that vehicle. Or maybe just let the air out of one or two tires. We need a malicious smilie around here.

The OP deserves his outrage.

Its been years since I’ve lived in northern Manitoba near your parts. Back in the day, electric outlets were “free” or covered by the rent. But I’m not surprised. I just had to fork over 50 cents for some air. Some air for a tire.

It’s either your (assigned) spot or it’s not.

If it’s not, then get over yourself, it’s not.

You don’t get title to it because you cleared the snow, just because you think it ought to, sorry. If it’s that important to you, then live where there is assigned spots. If you choose not to, then recognize that it was your choice already. Or did you imagine that human nature would not apply, come winter? Tell me, do you bitch in the summer when you come home and someone else has parked in the spot you’ve designated as yours? No? If there isn’t assigned parking, then they aren’t doing anything wrong, your indignation notwithstanding.

This is on par with bitching about the stairs after renting in a building with no elevator.

This apt block was built and wired back in the day. And nothing’s free in a rental - either you’re paying for it directly, or it’s factored into the rent.

I’m always torn when we start discussing this topic each winter - yeah, you know when you park in a spot that you didn’t shovel out, but yeah, if it isn’t assigned parking (or is just street parking), you really don’t have a leg to stand on, because it really isn’t “your” spot. This is one of those things where you have to rely on your neighbours to not be assholes, and of course some of them always let you down.

Can we expand winter rants to include people who don’t shovel their sidewalks, too? There are a couple of houses in my neighbourhood who haven’t shovelled once this whole winter. I actually tried to report them to bylaw services, but the City of Calgary website is so useless that I couldn’t figure out how to do it.

yes, i’m not claiming title to the spot i shoveled out. i’m pitting fuckwits who have no sense of common courtesy.

i’m not claiming title.

would you pull out of a parking spot that you had barely shoveled, go run an errand at the corner store, come back home, find that your neighbor had gone to work, and then park in in his/her well-cleaned spot, and not bat an eye?

are you that fucking blind to society and the others around you?

Wow, people shovel shared parking spaces where you live? How quaint. I live in a very snowy area and everyone here just wedges their car through 18 inches of snow. There’s usually a snowy, icy coating on every parking space clear from October through March.

P.S. You shovel it? Doesn’t mean you own it.

Kind of like paying rent for a room and not getting to put your shit all over the homeowners fridge, right?

Classy comeback, I’m suddenly seeing why common courtesy doesn’t abound in your world.

No, I’m not blind to the society at all, and am, by all counts, a wonderful neighbour. But maybe that’s because I don’t try and claim ownership of something that’s not mine.

If you want to rely on the kindness of strangers, that’s on you, don’t bitch when it doesn’t work out your way. (Maybe try a flowery dress, and winsome smile over bitching and acting all indignant and entitled, or, maybe move to Savannah and get yourself a drawl!)

People with assigned parking spots pay for the privilege. You want the privilege without the cost, good luck with that.