The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: When do you relight a cigarette?
Always 10 12.20%
If I've only had a couple of puffs 14 17.07%
If more than half of it is left 26 31.71%
If less than half of it is left 10 12.20%
If even one puff of tobacco is left 4 4.88%
Never 18 21.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Smokers, do you relight cigarettes?

I don't mean relighting the new fire-safe cigarettes when they go out after you haven't had a puff for a minute.

If you prematurely butt a smoke for whatever reason--dinner's ready, maintenance knocks on the door, you've arrived at your destination--do you relight that cigarette? If you do, does it matter how much is left?

"I relight a cigarette . . .
Advertisements  
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have voted "Never". Even if I've only had one hit off it, once it's out, I'm done with that smoke.

I'll add, being unable to edit the OP, that cigar and pipe smokers should feel free to participate.

Last edited by Frank; 01-13-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 PM

I would never relight a cig that I've put out once. But my habit is pretty low (half a pack a day) and I would rather put one out with 2 puffs taken, then relight a new one. Cigs taste absolutely rank if you relight them.

Of course with the new firesafe wraps, I end up relighting a current cig at least a couple times a day. Fuck that noise.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Never did and I smoked through my seriously broke years.

Also, firesafe wraps? Holy cow I'm out of the smoking loop - how long have they been around?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 PM

I've relit my share of "pieces" of cigarettes, but my habit went hand-in-hand with beer drinking, so my judgement wasn't always the best. Probably the shortest one only had 2 or 3 puffs left.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

I always do. When I'm just sitting around my house by myself. Standing outside in the cold (or the blazing sun) get's boring fast. On top of that, when there's no one to talk to (and nothing to drink) and it's just puff puff puff my mouth gets dry quickly. I typically smoke about half, knock the cherry off and go back out for the rest about 15 minutes later. Besides, it makes it feel like two.
I know plenty of people who wouldn't dare do that, but it's never bothered me one bit. I'm not sure if it's because I blow the smoke out after I knock the cherry off, if it's because my first few smoking years were spent scavenging random ashtrays, streets, sidewalks and parks for cigarettes butts that were long enough to relight or it's because it just doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited by Joey P; 01-13-2011 at 07:03 PM..
Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlitherial View Post
Also, firesafe wraps? Holy cow I'm out of the smoking loop - how long have they been around?
A couple of years.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM

I do, frequently. In fact it's become the norm to smoke 1/2 at a time and the other half later. Of course, I've been a RYO aficionado for years and they tend to burn slow and go out frequently anyway. Also, no filter there to trap the gunk, hence no off-taste upon re-lighting.
SS
Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM

If I've only had a couple of puffs if at all. I almost never relight.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM

I'm a relighter...especially while on the computer. I'll get distracted doing something, notice my smoke went out, and spark it right back up.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Right now, with the cold weather, there is a butt bucket on my deck with the corpses of a couple of packs worth of half smoked cigarettes. They just taste too nasty when relit.

I smoke less than half a pack a day and during inclement weather, only half cigs most of the time.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM

I won't relight because it's gross to me. My BF, however, has no compunctions about it whatsoever, so I leave partially smoked cigs in a clean location (not draped in the ashtray) where he will find 'em and smoke 'em later.

He also cleans the leftovers out of my fridge.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 AM

Just before I quit, say 2-3 months prior, I would smoke a cigarette to about halfway down then put it out and finish it later. I just didn't want a whole one at a time anymore, and that's when I decided that I really didn't need them at all anymore.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Vombatus Moderatus

I didn't vote in the poll because it's very cigarette-specific and I don't smoke cigarettes. I will, however, comment on two other tobacco products:

Cigars: If I've smoked more than a tiny bit, I won't relight one. It's nasty.

Pipes: I do relight pipes. Heck, I smoke so rarely that I really never got good at keeping my pipe lit, so I relight several times even if I'm smoking the whole bowl all at once.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary "Wombat" Robson View Post
Pipes: I do relight pipes. Heck, I smoke so rarely that I really never got good at keeping my pipe lit, so I relight several times even if I'm smoking the whole bowl all at once.
As I recall from my pipe days, keeping a bowlful lit is an acquired skill. As for my cigarette days, I never had one go out on me before I'd smoked it down almost to the butt. I was under the impression that they're made and designed specifically to stay lit, among other things. OTOH, given that my smoking was usually done in places and at times where I wouldn't be obligated to stop in the middle of a smoke, that's probably not surprising. I never really smoked at home, and, for many people, home is about the most distracting place you can be.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:51 AM

I smoke cigars, but slim panatellas not the big fat ones. I normally smoke half of one on a smoking break at work, as an entire one takes too long. The secret to it not tasting nasty is to blow down it once you've put it out. It won't taste quite as good as a fresh one but it does make a difference.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:03 AM

Never, it's like licking an ashtray. Tastes disgusting.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 AM

Q. Does it actually taste different or it it the concept of relighting that is icky or both?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Q. Does it actually taste different or it it the concept of relighting that is icky or both?
It tastes different.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 AM

Nope, it tastes funky if it's been relit.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Are all the responders aware that these are the new cigarettes that just keep going out? I don't think the OP is talking about digging a butt out of the ashtray. It's the one in your fingers that went out while you told that idiot how to get to the highway, or entered a post here on the SDMB.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:40 AM

yep. I can't afford to be that picky & besides, I LIKE that thicker, funkier taste (I'm really addicted)
Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Are all the responders aware that these are the new cigarettes that just keep going out? I don't think the OP is talking about digging a butt out of the ashtray. It's the one in your fingers that went out while you told that idiot how to get to the highway, or entered a post here on the SDMB.
Oh great. Just reread the OP. It was the exact opposite of what I thought.

Nevermind.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Hating that I still smoke, I often light one, smoke half, grow disgusted, convince myself I don't need this anymore, and snuff it out.

When I next want one, I'll just relight that one, mostly out of convenience, it's right there, after all!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Sometimes, yes, but unless we're talking a cigarette you've lit up, took one puff from and had to squeeze because the bus was coming it's always unsatisfying - for one thing, the first few puffs are horrible because you're smoking the burnt, crushed and altogether nasty part ; and for another once you're done you're left wanting because it wasn't a whole cigarette, your craving is not completely satisfied and your addiction demands moar.
So you light a new one. And the end of that one is horrible because it's too much nicotine in one sitting.

Just toss it, man.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 AM

I smoked in my teens and early twenties which were mostly characterized by my being a broke ass loser, so yes you bet your ass i did.

Last edited by DigitalC; 07-10-2011 at 11:08 AM..
Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I smoked in my teens and early twenties which were mostly characterized by my being a broke ass loser, so yes you bet your ass i did.
I have quit smoking several times, often for years at a time. The last cigarette I smoked was long enough ago that I have forgotten just when I quit last.

But when I was smoking and had run out of cigarettes and had the urge for one, I would fish through the butts and if there were a drag or two left on one, I'd light it up. I never stooped to smoking other people's butts. There are just some things I wouldn't do even when desperate.

(I didn't vote in the poll.)
Old 07-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
you're smoking the burnt, crushed and altogether nasty part
I just snip that bit off, easy peasy.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:36 PM

I voted hardly ever, only if I've had a couple of puffs, but that's disregarding the one's that extinguish themselves and get re-lit while I'm on the phone or computer or whatever.

One guy I work with used to be a seriously heavy smoker, like a 3 packs a day type. He's thisclose to quitting, but has remained stuck there for a few years now. He smokes about a half-pack a day now, lighting them for a few drags and stubbing them out to re-light later. So he's nearly always got a half-smoked cigarette tucked behind his ear and absolutely reeks. Reeks like, he walks up behind you and you think someone's actively smoking reeks.