Help Me Make a Playlist for Upcoming Marathon!

So I was just going through my music and realized that I could use some more (er, better) music to keep me motivated through four plus hours of running. Any suggestions? I pretty much like all categories of music.

My first marathon is coming up, and I plan on running without my MP3 player so I can hear the crowd. I’m going to need them more than I need my music.

But I listen to a lot of CCR, Stones, Who, Joe Jackson, the Ramones, George Thorogood, J Geils, plus a bunch of odd balls like Hank Williams Sr, Sex Pistols, Big Mama Thornton to mix it up.

I have one song that I think is the ultimate <well, my ultimate> workout/run song. (I don’t run, but this song makes me want to at least jog for a long time! The pace is just perfect, rhythmic yet altering slightly so it’s not JUST the same thing over and over again. Well, it kinda is, but the changes are enough for me. It even comes with a sort of cool-down period about 2/3’s of the way through, and then jumps back in.

I just like it.

It’s by Prodigy, showed up in the Hackers soundtrack some time ago.

I know it’s just one song here, but if you like it, you might like more of Prodigy or other 90’s rave stuff.

The video is a Matrix mish-mash. I have no idea if it was used in the Matrix or not, but I had a hard time finding another video.

Why of course, Marathon by Rush from Power Windows

*It’s a test of ultimate will
A heartbreak climb uphill
Got to pick up the pace
If you want to stay in the race

It’s more than just survival
More than simple greed
More than a finish line
To feed this burning need

In the long run*

Let It Rock - Kevin Rudolf.

Just Came Back - Colin James.

Club Can’t Handle Me - Flo-rida feat. David Guetta.

Well, for motivation, maybe for the final spurt, there are:

The Beatles - Run For Your Life

Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell

The Who - Run Run Run (sorry, no link)

Taomist I like it. Totally different than what I presently have.

Sqweels I have never heard that song. Thanks!

Cat Whisperer and EinsteinsHund Great suggestions!!

Neat mix. I have a lot of Stones, Who and Joe Jackson and will check out some of your other suggestions.

FWIW, if you have done a lot of training with music, I would humbly suggest at least carrying your MP3 player (if you plan on having a pouch or something) so you have the option of using it. In my limited marathon experience, the crowds didn’t “help” me as much as I thought they would (New York and Chicago - both had a lot of spectators) and I was glad I had the tunes. :slight_smile:

While I have done a lot of my solo training with my MP3 player, my long runs lately have been with companions. And all my races so far have been without music so I think I’ll be OK.

I might throw it in the belt pack but I don’t plan to yet. I’m running Boston and I want to hear the Scream Tunnel long before I reach there.

I don’t know how “serious” a marathon this is you’re entering but be sure to check with the race officials to make sure they allow headphones. There is something of an ongoing battle between runners and organizers in the last few years over the enforcement of the no-headphones rules.

http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=12394

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/sports/othersports/01marathon.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

You might try these and see if you like any of them.

Gov’t Mule - Thorazine Shuffle

Talking Heads Take Me To The River (live)

Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned

Rory Gallagher - Crest of a Wave

Johnny Winter - Feedback On Highway 101

Blue Oyster Cult - Buck’s Boogie

Paice Ashton Lord - Malice In Wonderland

Riverside - Out Of Myself

To mix it up I’d add some Louis Prima/Keely Smith swing- very fast paced but a different sound than today. (Jump Jive & Wailis probably the most famous, but Youtube Louis Prima Keely Smith and it’ll give you several options.)

Really really cheesy but… I have a tradition when I go on road trips of inaugurating the journey by playing the overture to How the West Was Won as soon as I can put petal to the metal.

Band on the Run - good :smiley:

Take my Breath Away - not so good :frowning:

My absolute favorite coming-up-on-the-finish-line-need-that-extra-kick song is Prince’s Baby, I’m A Star (starts at 3:21). Great tempo, driving drums, and a fantastic lyric to be singing as you’re using up the last bit of gas in your tank. I’m running a 5k tomorrow and I’ve set my playlist so that song should start right when I’ve got about a quarter-mile left.

Or, if you’re in more of a “Thank God this is over” mood, there’s John Mellencamp’s I’m Not Running Anymore.

Don’t Look Back by The Fine Young Cannibals is one I like to have somewhere in the middle of a run. It’s got exactly the right beat for me to run comfortably to.

The Traveling Wilburys’ End of The Line has a nice upbeat, sunny kind of feel to it, but might be just a tad slow depending on the pace you want to set.