The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Elections

Old 06-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Alec Baldwin for Mayor of NYC....really?

I guess it's not completely out of the question. Arnold, Sony Bono, Reagan, etc.

But wouldn't that infamous voicemail rant he left on his daughter's cell phone come back to haunt him.

So what say you? Would he make a good mayor after Bloomberg?
Advertisements  
Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Arnold, Sony Bono, Reagan, etc.
California, California, California. No, I don't think Alec Baldwin is going to beat out experienced politicians to get elected mayor here. Baldwin has made noises about getting into politics for years, and if he hadn't found himself as part of a popular TV show, maybe he would have done it by now. I would advise him to start off smaller.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Well there was also Fred "Gopher from Love Boat" Gandy (US Rep from Iowa), and Fred "Law and Order" Thompson (Senator/ Pres. candidate from Tennessee).

Supposedly Baldwin has received several endorsements from other actors.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Well there was also Fred "Gopher from Love Boat" Gandy (US Rep from Iowa), and Fred "Law and Order" Thompson (Senator/ Pres. candidate from Tennessee).
One of the guys from Orleans also served a term in Congress after getting elected during the Democratic wave in '08. He represented a district in upstate New York. And it's a little unfair to include Fred Thompson here. He became a presidential candidate because people knew him from TV, but he had a legit career in politics before he decided to become an actor. He was a counsel to Senate Republicans during the Watergate hearings and did some other Congressional lawyering over the years. He later became an actor. Law & Order came as he was getting ready to leave the Senate.

Quote:
Supposedly Baldwin has received several endorsements from other actors.
If Streisand endorsed him, the race is as good as lost. Baldwin is supposed to be a smart guy, but endorsements from actors won't help him. Endorsements from Democratic politicians would, and I think those will be hard to get since some of them will have an eye on the mayor's office themselves, or their friends will. And then there's the matter of his nasty divorce. I'm guessing the stuff he said about leaving the country after Bush was elected won't hurt him in the city, if anyone even remembers that.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 PM

I think this whole thing is a ploy to get Bush to threaten to move to Canada if Baldwin gets elected.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Don't forget Jesse the Body Ventura. The smart money on the next actor / governor is Carl Weathers or Billie Dee Williams (I'm assuming no one can tell the difference).
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 PM

A race between Alec Baldwin and Anthony Weiner would be epic. Are there any pics of Alec's junk from any of his movies.

It could be the first race with a literal dick measuring contest.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

What voicemail? Wasn't that Mel Gibson? His commercials for Capital One which are playing non-stop are losing him more credibility with me than anything else.....
Old 06-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

No, this is what he's talking about. It's old news, but from what I remember of their divorce, Baldwin came off looking like an ass and Basinger didn't end up looking so great either. It's far from recent and not something I'd take into account if he asked for my vote (which, if he somehow got the nomination, he would be very unlikely to get).
Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
No, this is what he's talking about. It's old news, but from what I remember of their divorce, Baldwin came off looking like an ass and Basinger didn't end up looking so great either. It's far from recent and not something I'd take into account if he asked for my vote (which, if he somehow got the nomination, he would be very unlikely to get).
And didn't it also come out afterwards that Baldwin's daughter really was screwing around with the phone to make him mad? It doesn't excuse some of the things he said, but the daughter wasn't blameless in the whole thing.

Last edited by Justin_Bailey; 06-12-2011 at 02:24 AM..
Old 06-12-2011, 05:58 AM

Why wouldn't you want Jack Donaghy for your mayor?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Your name Baldwin? You call yourself a mayoral candidate, you son of a bitch? It takes brass balls to run for mayor. Because only one thing counts in this life. Get them to vote in the booth that's for polling! You hear me, you faggot? This is the mayoralty. This is the mayoralty of New York City. And to you, it's gold. And you don't get it. Why? Because to give it to you is just throwing it away. It's for closers.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:51 PM

New Yorkers have a long and honored tradition of not being impressed by celebrities. Sure, being famous may get you into the trendy clubs, but it won't get you elected to office. So you're on TV, what, that makes you special? Fuck off.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
New Yorkers have a long and honored tradition of not being impressed by celebrities.
Not impressed, just obsessed.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:50 PM

Well, it will piss off Kim Jong-il at least.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 AM

I can think of a thousand reasons against Alec being mayor and only one in favor of... the law against nepotism.

Last edited by lieu; 06-13-2011 at 07:06 AM..
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM

What's my platform? Fuck you, that's my platform.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM

Heh. Politicians like to rub elbows with actors, and the actors want to be seen with (or become) politicians. The grass is always greener on the other side. They feed off of each others celebrity status.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
I can think of a thousand reasons against Alec being mayor and only one in favor of... the law against nepotism.
Wait, is there some sort of danger of Stephen Baldwin being appointed to some sort of public office in New York City? Because that would indeed be a good reason to vote for Alec.