HELP: There's an insect crawling inside my computer's LCD

How can I get it out? It’s about the size of a baby flea. It’s crawling upward, to the top of the screen, on top of the “E” at the end of " THE STRAIGHT DOPE." Oh–no, now it’s going back down.

If I touch the screen it will move a little, but I don’t want to kill it there and have it there forever.

What can I do?

Not much you can do, short of taking the monitor apart.

train it to be useful punctuation.

Take heart. Its lifespan should be short, like…now…it’s dead, right?

Now you have some sculpture inside your display unit.

Is that a bug or a feature?

Bring up a picture of a spider to scare it off the screen.

name it archy, for the modern era

Name it Glitch.

Once it dies, won’t it fall to the bottom of the screen and be invisible?

Is there some opening (vent hole, etc.) where you can stick in the little straw nozzle of a “canned air” can to blow the bug out of the monitor? I would presume there is, as the little bugger :wink: got in there somehow.

That’s just the new IE9 “Help” icon. Try clicking on it. Or run your debugging program.

Maybe your mouse will eat the bug.

Just hit ‘delete’?

Your computer has a bug.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Very funny. :mad: :mad: :mad: You guys can joke all you want, but it’s still there, in the systray. I though it was dead, but I guess it was just sleeping. Taking a morning walk, now. Heading back up to the bookmarks bar.

Shhhh, Not so loud or everybody will want one.

I’m going to guess no. My wife’s previous laptop had that happen almost right after she got the thing. It’s still there. She doesn’t use the machine anymore, but it still houses a bug carcass in the monitor.

You can take your monitor apart. It’s tricky and there are a lot of tiny screws. When you remove a screw use scotch tape and tape it to the hole it just came from. For reassembly.

The front frame is plastic and kind of snaps in place. A credit card or similar kind of flat shim tool will help to sort of ‘unpop’ the frame.

Taking your monitor apart is probably the only sure way to remove the insect. Or maybe you could put a little sugar water and hope the bug smells it and comes out on its own. Slim chance of that happening but who knows.

Are you sure you don’t just have the DT’s? When was the last time you had a drink?

If it is an old school tube monitor, be careful with this. High powered caps can be dangerous.
-D/a