Does this auto repair cost (exhaust system) sound reasonable?

1999 Toyota Sienna minivan. We took it in because the muffler sounds like it’s not doing its job (understatement) and the place just called us back to say that the “front Y-pipe” is rotted out and needs to be replaced. Apparently on our vehicle, this also involves a catalytic converter replacement. They quoted us $1200. That seems high to me. But for the catalytic converter maybe it’s in the ballpark. Anyone have an opinion?

If you’re at the dealer, and they’re talking about cat replacement along with that Y-pipe, that’s a reasonable price. Aftermarket price for a converter for your vehicle is anywhere from $360-$520; cost from a dealer will be even higher. Add that to the cost of the Y-pipe and the labor to put it all in.

I think you may be getting hosed. I find the entire 72" assembly of the Y pipe and converter for $248 at E-converters.

http://www.ecatalyticconverter.com/catalog/?N=9190&Nr=OR(AND(make:Toyota,model:Sienna,year:1999),AND(universal:1))&Vi=11800+4294963366+1725&y=1999&mk=Toyota&md=Sienna

Find out how much is the part and how much is labor. If what Al Bundy linked to is the true cost of the part, then they would be charging you for well over 10 hours of labor, which sounds extremely unreasonable to me, though I’m no mechanic.

If they are using an incredibly expensive part, see if you can supply your own.

Either way I’d get a second opinion.

I am no expert at all, but sounds way too high.

Try Midas.

Don’t go to a dealer. Try Midas or an independent. The convertor probably doesn’t need replacing. Minor damage can be welded. Depending on it’s conditon, $1200 could be 15-25% of the value of the car. It’s outrageous for someone to give you a quote like that.

Yeah. If its not a muffler place they may not do welding.

I’m not going to Midas.

Update. This is an independent shop that was recommended to us by our mechanic. I did some surfing around earlier and found a few Toyota sites where people said that they had their muffler shop basically cut out the bad section of pipe and weld in an aftermarket part, for around $400 instead of $1200 for the full manufacturer’s part. I called the muffler shop to see if they would consider doing this, and the guy basically treated me like someone’s 8-year-old daughter on the phone. So I will be finding a new muffler shop, probably by searching Angie’s List for someplace independent that has good reviews, and hopefully they can do the aftermarket welding thing, and if not, then they can at least explain to me why, as though I am an adult with a functioning brain.

I mean, seriously, if you’re wanting me to shell out $1200 to your repair shop, don’t you think it might be a good idea to take 30 seconds and explain the damn repairs to me over the phone?

You’re on the right track; what puzzles me is why you tried Midas to begin with? They are known as Dealership Junior, around these parts. Sheesh! Let me give you a basic: Auto repair franchises are going to suck the life out of you. Here endeth the lesson.

Find an independent. Drive up, ask him “How much will it cost to fix this pipe?” Don’t mention aftermarket parts: some of them will fabricate it themselves, quite cheaply. Tell him you’ll check around, if the price is too high.

Best wishes,
hh

I did not go to Midas. I was addressing that to the people up-thread who were recommending that I try Midas. The original shop I went to was an independent shop. The next shop will also be an independent. I don’t use franchises for automotive repair.

I wasn’t so much recommending Midas as recommending against a dealer. I’m glad to hear you go to independent shops.

Was your check engine light on? I would think (but I’m not expert) that a problem with the cat would trigger the light.

My info shows the part listing at about 1700 from Toyota. It is a one piece assembly including the header pipes (“Y pipe”) and catalytic converter. I would say that 1200 for a good quality aftermarket part, installed, sounds reasonable.

A less expensive fix involving welding in a portion of the assembly may or may not be possible, depending on the location and extent of the deterioration.

I’m sorry that fool talked condescendingly to you. I’ve got to wonder how stupid someone has to be to treat customers that way.

Low prices found on the internet are great for do-it-yourselfers, but generally don’t mean much in terms of how most auto repair shops source and price the parts they use.

The “problem” with this cat is that it’s part of the assembly that includes the faulty pipe.

I don’t know foreign cars at all. But I put in a custom exhaust system on my 1969 Buick Riviera for around $600 (well I didn’t put it in, I HAD it put in :D). 1200 sounds kinda high to me.

Thanks, Gary. Just to clarify, the post I found on the Internet was a price that someone paid to have his muffler guy do the job for him, so not strictly a DIY thing. I’m totally willing to believe that the less-expensive welding fix may not be possible, depending on how badly things are rusted out under there, but before I pay $1200 for the bigger fix, I just want someone to explain to me exactly why the cheaper fix is a no-go, you know what I mean?

It’s a logistical pain in the ass to pick our car up and drop it off again etc. so we still haven’t taken it to a new shop yet but I’ll post an update when we do.

I’ll clarify that my comment about that was related to posts #2, 3, & 4, in re the price of the pipe/converter assembly.

Oh right, gotcha.

Just an FYI, but often times those inexpensive cats turn out to only last for a year or so before they deteriorate to the point where the car won’t pass an emission test.
they are sometimes referred to as a one shot cat. As in your car fails smog due to a bad cat, so you put in a one shot cat. Passes smog this time. Two years from now? Good luck.