Revenge (ABC TV Show)

I just watched the pilot for this, and so far it seems to be doing a decent job of living up to its Count of Monte Cristo roots. Anyone else watching?

Interesting choice to swap the gender of the entire cast. I’d think of the original as being fairly rugged and manly, but perhaps they figured that the modern ideal of manliness is more along the lines of Cammando and Rocky, so all the intrigue and backstabbing would find more interest with a female audience better? I can’t say that it’s bothering me.

I think it also helps, cinematically, that they don’t have the Clark Kent/Superman issue where the protagonist is supposed to go totally unrecognized to a bunch of people who know him well, due to making the crime occur during the main character’s childhood, rather than as an adult.

Overall, I’m not seeing anything to complain about and I’m a big fan of the book.

I thought it was good and plan to keep watching.

I am getting into the show. One news report ask if they could keep this show running. After all how many people can she get revenge on. I figure after she is done where she is at she can hire out to get revenge for other people. I hope thay can keep it going. Emily is the slickest role on tv,

this show is going to piss me off with how the rich folks treat the poor folks.

Pretty quickly moving so far. Two episodes and she’s already gotten revenge on two (or 3 if you include the husband of the blonde). I hope that they’re just working to get our attention and that future revenge will take a couple episodes per person.

Also with that PI now following her every move I really hope that box is well hidden. So many things that could give her away - the tattoo and the carving at the beachhouse for one.

Anyone else think that the anomoly in her history is on purpose? If her back story is so good from 1-16 and 18+ I have to believe that those two years was a purposeful gap to lure Victoria into making a mistake.

I’ve watched both episodes so far. I’m not sure what role the struggling bar owner and his two sons play in the show, although the older son named the boat after the main character. So perhaps he liked her (although she was very young when the original events occurred). Perhaps those characters represent certain characters in The Count of Monte Cristo? I’m not sure how closely this story is following that one.

Well, considering the episodes start with the wedding (12 weeks ahead) and then flash back (I hate when shows do that), I think it is a given that she has covered her tracks, otherwise the mother would never allow the wedding to take place.

As of yet, the only real parallel is that there’s a person trying to get revenge on a group of plotters who framed someone. I’m wondering whether the Wikipedia description is lying where it says that the show is intended to be an adaptation. I haven’t noticed the book being mentioned in the opening credits, at least.

The closest parallel to Jack Porter (the guy with the dog) would probably be the Count’s fiancee, from before he was framed. She ended up marrying one of the plotters, and so the Count has to get enact his revenge on her family and toss away his feelings for her. Assuming a parallel, this would mean that Papa Porter would end up being one of the bad guys. Certainly, it looks like Emily is romancing up Danny instead of Jack, foregoing the romantic interest that she’d probably have otherwise.

Was the older son the one who was seen with the rich kids body in the first episode? I’m guessing the blond guy will arrange for the rich kids murder, and will frame the bar owners son. I bet Emily will then try to clear his name.

There must be significance to the fact that Jack named his boat “Amanda.”

Anyone know why the logo for the show has it written Reven8e? Are there 8 people she’s trying to get back at? I mean there’s the double-infinity thing, but that can’t be it because it’s not a double eight, can it?

It’s not an eight, it’s the first infinity sign she drew before doubling it like her father showed her to.

sohvan, yeah, that was Jack. Funny that his little brother didn’t recognize him…

I’ve liked the first couple of episodes. I’m thinking we won’t catch up to the first scene (Danny being murdered) until the season finale.

I liked Emily VanCamp on Everwood. I never watched Brothers and Sisters.

I’ve been a fan of Madeline Stowe for a looong time and I’ve always wished she worked more. It’s nice to see her every week, even if she is playing a bitch.

**I read an interview with the show’s creator and he said that for the first few episodes only, she gets her revenge quickly (and, yes, he said that it’s written that way to hook the audience), but, after that, the arcs, as she goes after more powerful people, will be longer (which makes sense if they want the show to last for any length of time).

Just a little side note–the guy who is investigating Emily is the head of security for Victoria’s husband’s firm. (I heard him say that in one of his conversations with Victoria ;))**

What I get, after watching the first two eps, is that she met the older son, Jack, when she was Amanda, the little girl (on the beach, through her dog, Sam, who is now Jack’s dog–which if you do the math, makes Sam about 18 years old :eek:) And it appears that he’s never forgotten her (which her sidekick, Nolan, knows, and that is why he is trying to befriend Jack by buying his boat and then offering to give it back, etc., because he wants to bring love back into Emily’s life-- although he obviously has no problem helping her with her revenge plans, as well). I think that Jack represents Emily’s hope for redemption and for love, and that is what his purpose is on the show.

This post has been ungraped by the ungrapist!

:smiley:

Now just need the unboldist to come along and we’re all set.

This post has been unbolded by the Unboldist!

The last word of this post has been unitalicized by the Unitalicizer!

This post has been de-voweled by The Disemvoweler!