Battlefield 3

Alright sons, let’s get this thread started.

The longest of the trailers: Fault line

Caspian Border multiplayer gameplay with vehicles

Thunder Run, a tank mission.

And their pretty badass Live action/gameplaycommercial.

I’ll try not to get in too much of a PC/console pissing contest, I’ll just say that I’m excited that this is a PC-lead game. BC2 was a big success on the PC and it allowed DICE to financially justify really making a quality PC game and then reducing it and adding limitations for the console ports, rather than just aiming for the limited version for everyone. I’m hoping it shows how much you can do with a native DX10/11 renderer when you’re not handicapped by legacy technology and spurs a massive period of innovation unseen in most of a decade.

Anyway, it looks amazing. They over-promised the environmental destruction - in practice it’s not as complete as it should be, but it’s still better than any game previously. It aspires to be a full on battlefield game instead of the somewhat limited bad company games - a large range of vehicles (jeeps to jets), huge maps, 64 player battles (PC), etc.

It’s about as promising a game that’s come out in quite a few years. I suspect MW3 is going to beat it because people will stupidly buy anything with a call of duty title even though it’s not only the same exact rehashed stale crap it always was, but it won’t even be as good because they got rid of their best development team. But in practice I think you’d have to be nuts to even consider buying MW3 over this.

I almost never buy full priced games but I guess I’ll take the risk - I suspect it won’t live up to my expectations, but it’ll be worth it.

The game itself looks pretty good, but I don’t really trust EA and it’s Origin platform. Especially after it was discovered that the Origin EULA contains some iffy terms: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy

Ah yes, I don’t trust EA at all, I don’t like tying it to Origin, and they’re all dicks. Also hate that they’re in a pissing match with Steam about having the game there. But I don’t think that’s enough to stop me.

First game that my box actually cannot run. Would really love to get more than ten seconds or so in-game, it looks pretty fun. I say this as an enormous Battlefield skeptic who thought all of the other ones about sucked.

I already have this pre-loaded and ready to go Tuesday night. Would we like to get a doper clan together for this?

I built my box in January, 2007. Top of the line equip, cost about 1800 at the time.

Now I have to run on barely higher than minimums for games like this. /cry

Built a new PC last Xmas and this will be the first to really test it. Have been enjoying being at the top of the spectrum playing Bad Company 2 this past year. Have it pre-loaded and can’t wait to get into ti…

Preloaded and ready to go. They say this game is expected to bring 1 billion dollars to the PC hardware industry. Needless to say, PC gamers are really looking forward to this.

The reviews so far have been in the 90+ range. They praise the multi player, but say the single player is not anything special.

Im setting up the SDMB server tonight and ill let everyone know the details as soon as everything is ready.

Woot!

Will probably wait to get this (xbox360) until middle December. I want multiplayer to be epic though…

Hmmm - server question: Vent or Teamspeak? Or mumble?

Anyone have any opinions?

We’ve got an SDMB 15 man Vent server as it is, so no need to grab one unless you’re getting it for free. I would say there’s no upside to teamspeak - vent is better in every way - but I’ve heard good stuff about mumble but I’ve never tried it. But mumble requires the game to support it to use its cool features, doesn’t it? Not sure if bf3 does.

Ok, Vent it is (and yes I’m getting a 24 slot server for free).

The game server will be 32 max players. you cna find it on the battlelog website now (search for SDMB).

this si the first time I run a server, so I’m perusing the various server docs to get acquainted. I’ll be back tonight with more info such as IP address for the game and vent servers.

I’m torn. I want to get this but I just talked my wife into letting me buy Arkham City.

No!

You must put your foot down (beg) as the man of the castle (humble servant), that you are!

Demand! (cry AND beg for) your copy of BF3, and take no refusals (offer sex, dishes/laundry cleaned)!

That’s what I did (the stuff in parentheses not the other stuff - she laughed at the offering sex part), and it worked!

Arkham city will be the same game it is now in a few months. BF3 won’t - you’ll miss out on growing with the multiplayer community, everyone will be better than you by the time you get around to it, you’ll miss on the initial huge surge of players a newly released highly anticipated game gets, etc.

I totally don’t understand the rush to get single player games on day 1. They only improve with age - they get patched and new content and they get cheaper. Multiplayer games, with a community with a lifecycle, are the ones that can justify an early purchase (albeit rarely, IMO).

It seems crazy to me to get a $50-60 new single player game when you could get the patched and expanded edition/dlc/goty for $10 or less 6 months later (at least on PC).

Any ideas for a platoon name?

This x 2. Get multiplayer games on release (if you want them), but single-player games will be the same experience (or better) in a year or 2, for far less money. Multi-player games are the ONLY games I buy on release. Get in with everyone else before they all learn the maps, unlock all the weapons and perks, etc, or wait months and be at a disadvantage. I still remember finding the left-side shortcut to the Suburbs in Karkand the first day we played it. Wait awhile, and everyone else will know that stuff but you.

Steam will have a sale on Arkham City a couple times between now and July, and then again at Thanksgiving.

ETA: I founded my own BF3 clan, but will probably jump in and game with you guys at some point. Good servers with good people are a rare and valuable experience.

But…must…have…NOW!!

The 1920s style Deathdealers.

Lol, I like it!

Damn peer pressure…

I’m RMcnally.

Had to shorten it to SDMB 1920’s deathrays

Our platoon page: SDMB 1920's Deathrays - Platoons - Battlelog / Battlefield 3

Join up!

I’ll post server details here and on the platoon page as well.

Would love it if this stuff was integrated with Steam though :frowning: