The Dark Tower – Cast/Crew Wish List

I’m sure this has been done here a thousand times here, but I don’t care.

What spawned this incarnation was my revelation: Aaron Paul (Jesse of Breaking Bad) should play Eddie.

On top of that:

The seven-book epic should be given the Lord of the Rings treatment, and have 3 3.5 hour movies shot in one production, then released a year apart.

1st movie: Combine The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three into one continuous story.

2nd movie: The Waste Lands could be interspersed with the backstory of Wizard and Glass.

3rd movie: Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susanna and The Dark Tower shouldn’t be too hard to condense into one big epic final film.

Clint Eastwood should direct, because it only makes sense.

Zoe Saldana or Jennifer Hudson as Susanna/Odetta

Again, Eddie should be played by Aaron Paul. Except no substitutes.

Jake Chambers. Casting a kid is tricky, but I really dug Max Records in Where the Wild Things Are.

This leaves Roland. And damn, if this isn’t the toughest one. His character is obviously based on Clint Eastwood. But who, dammit, who could pull off such a look and personality like that today? Hugh Jackman with a touch of age/leathery-skin makeup? Or what about Viggo Mortenson?

This has, indeed, been done many times before.

Also, as you may or may not know, Javiar Bardem was actually cast as Roland a few months ago before Ron Howard’s adaptation collapsed last summer due to budget concerns. I though it was an interesting choice, but not as inspired as my favorite SDMB proposal, Hugh Laurie.

Anyway, I haven’t seen Breaking Bad, but while Aaron paul may be a fine actor, he doesn’t seem to look right for the role. Eddie, IMHO, is supposed to be a handsome charmer with additude to spare and the ability to transform into a supreme badass. Hence my suggestion for the role: Jensen Ackles(Dean from Supernatural).

Is Jensen a decent actor? He looks somewhat “pretty boy” to me. OTOH, I always pictured Eddie as a sarcastic, smart-mouthed lowlife with a touch of attitude but a heart of gold. After watching these last few seasons of Breaking Bad, I was talking about the possibility of the DT novels being adapted, and all the sudden it occurred to me how perfect he’d be for the part.

And if he doesn’t win an Emmy this year, there’s something wrong with the universe.

As far as Javier (who was amazing in No Country) being cast as Roland, is why I was relieved when the production fell through with Ron Howard. Truly, he has to be one of the most over-rated directors working today. Besides Apollo 13, his movies are the drama equivalent to Michael Bay’s action.

Hugh Laurie is an interesting choice. He’s grizzled, lanky and has a long face… I can sort of see it, but is he a man who has grit? True grit? :wink: I’d still think it’s gotta be a coin toss between Jackman and Viggo. And if Clint could direct, why just being around him, I’m sure those guys would be able to channel the spirit of Roland.

Actually, Javier might make a good Flagg.

And of course, Oy would have to be played by Andy Serkis.

That pretty much describes his Supernatural character to a T - example. I don’t know if he’s that great an actor, but he can play Eddie Dean in his sleep.

(Also, Eddie *is *a pretty boy. Suzannah says as much on several occasions).

I beat you to it 9 months ago in this thread. I think he’d be absolutely perfect. However, it seems as if Norman Reedus has been lobbying extremely hard for the role. He plays Daryl (the redneck bow hunter) on The Walking Dead. His role is expanding, giving him a chance to really show his acting ability. On the other hand, you wonder if it’s also solidifying his role on the show.

I really, really, REALLY hate the idea of Viggo Mortensen as Roland. It’s the most common suggestion, but despite his role in A History of Violence, he has too much “good guy” baggage attached to him. I like Bardem in the role - he can come across as unpredictable, unlikeable, and in the turn of an instant, redeemable.

Ahhh, nice call there Munch! Yes, honestly, Aaron Paul has so crystallized in my head as Eddie, that I can’t even imagine anyone else. I wouldn’t even want to consider anyone else. He seems born for the role, like Elijah Wood as Frodo or Harrison Ford as Indy/Han.

Aaron’s not what you’d call ugly either, he’s a charmer, but damn can that guy act. I mean, really act.

I will say, Hugh Jackman bares an uncanny resemblance to young Clint Eastwood. I feel like there’s another actor out there, but it’s escaping me ATM. Yet, Javier is completely wrong for the role, as awesome as he is.

BTW, Reedus is great in The Walking Dead. I’d prefer him over Ackles a thousand fold. Get someone with unique character and real acting chops. No moussed hair or huge pectoral muscles and six-pack abs necessary.

What would be perfect, is you get Aaron Paul to play Eddie Dean, and Norman Reedus to play his older, more aggressive brother, “the great sage and eminent junkie” Henry.

Here’s my counter-points for Aaron Paul vs. Jensen Ackles as Eddie Dean:

Spoiler’ed, but I tried to pick Jessie moments from Breaking Bad that don’t really give anything away. Especially out of context like this. Unfortunately, some of his most badass moments are major spoilers… so you’ll just have to watch the seasons. :wink:

[spoiler]Stuck in the middle of the desert, with no way to get back. His own brand of “survival instinct” kicks in when the the “man in charge” has given into despair… and despite the odds, he saves the day. Perfect crutch to lean on for [del]Roland[/del] Walter… wait for the killer line at the end.

Indignant Rage. Acting chops.

Brutal acceptance and blunt honesty over being a murder and an addict/dealer. Acting chops x10.

He’s alone, in the lab for hours cooking meth. Hey, he’s bored. You’d do the same. Levity.

[del]Eddie[/del] Jesse the addict.

Unsure, but charming. Score!

Jessie is a blowfish! YEAHHH!

And, a montage of some fine Jesse moments… just for fun. BITCH! ;)[/spoiler]

cmyk - I’m glad there’s someone else out there as adamant about this as I am. Every episode of Breaking Bad I watched this season, I watched with my total man-crush on Paul cranked to 11. I get angry even thinking about someone else in the role! If he gets it, Reedus will do a fantastic job - the only consolation will be if Aaron Paul manages to snag a handful of kickass movie roles in the meantime.

Seriously - every time I see Aaron Paul in a new episode, my determination that he must get the Eddie Dean role intensifies.

As for Roland - if they don’t go with Bardem, I hope they go the Don Draper route and sign someone no one’s heard of.

I want Robert Knepper for Roland - he’s got the right cold-eyed, lean look for the role (since the perfect Roland, Clint Eastwood, is too old now).

If not Jensen Ackles for Eddie, then Ryan Reynolds. I don’t think Jennifer Hudson is quite right for Susanna/Odetta; she needs to look like a warrior chick - basically a Pam Grier/Alfre Woodard look, except like 20 years younger.

Susannah = Jada Pinkett Smith? She kinda has that 60s vibe. Jennifer has that MoTown look, and she’s lost a lot of that weight… plus she can sing… and there’s a whole book about her song! :wink:

But, she’s gotta be a nice match for Eddie… I can see Jada or Zoe. Besides, Zoe was the Na’vi in Avatar… and her love, Jake Sully, didn’t have the use of his legs… COINCIDENCE? I think not!

Nice call on Robert Knepper. I’d think I’d be happy with him. However, if by some miracle, Daniel Day Lewis would bite… I think it’d shit a Popkin.

And, as many haters as there are for Ryan Reynolds, I think he’s great. But still, he doesn’t even hold a candle to Aaron Paul.

I swear, if a film is made, and Eddie isn’t Aaron Paul, why I’d… I’d… be pretty bummed.

Totally.

And that’s what I would do if I was casting… try and find a new talent, that embodies the character. But, y’know hollywood and marketing…