Reformed Lurkers' Chat Space

Reading the new thread A pointless Thank You, to You., started by SubaRhubarb, gave me the notion to start this thread for “reformed lurkers” to share their stories on how the thrill of posting and getting involved has won out over the thrill of just reading here.

I did a keyword search for titles containing lurker* and found over 50, dating back to Psst… Hey, lurkers… from Sep/99!

Three threads that I had something to do with in the area of “Lurkers” are:

Lurkers Anonymous: Roll Call

Lurkers Anonymous: Roll Call Part II

Lurkers: Say something

Rather than doing the Who Posted? lists as a reminder to those who participated in those threads, I thought just the thread title might attract some of you who have made the move from Lurker to Regular Poster. And I don’t expect to be posting lists of names and numbers of posts of those who choose to post here.

I just thought it might be fun to identify yourselves and make some reference to your ex-Lurker conversion.

I am a very, very old lurker - since sometime around 2002 or 2003. I was active on some other boards, so I didn’t feel very compelled to add another to my list. However, pretty much all of the other boards have died away, leaving a giant ass hole in my life (note: I said giant ass hole, not giant asshole). So I decided to become active here. This leaves me in the strange situation of “knowing” many people here when they don’t know me. It kind of makes me feel like a stalker.

I’ve been lurking since…2004? Something like that. I formed opinions about quite a few posters before joining (I was saddened, for instance, when I heard that Q.E.D. had died, even though I had never interacted with him).

The reason I didn’t join before was because I didn’t want to pay. I forget what thread actually made me say “fuck it” and join.

I’ve just registered this year, after lurking for a couple of years. Generally I’m too worried about looking foolish to volunteer my opinion. But if I think I can actually contribute something, I’ll pipe up.
I think the trigger for me to actually join in was cumulative, I probably ‘almost joined’ 20 times before I actually filled out the form and hit enter.

A thread looking for lurkers to chime in - bold. :slight_smile:

Not really! Look at those threads linked to in the OP. I’m just looking for some of the true lurkers from back then, who have “come out of their shell” at least some, to let it be known that their lurking days are a thing of the past.

True lurkers these days may not qualify. And then your point will be better taken.

Maybe we should have a thread for deceased Dopers to post in. It;d be pretty cool if some posts showed up.

Your basic Ghost Post?

This is my first post, so I guess I’m reformed.
I’ll tell ya how it feels in the morning.

That’s some serious patience! Can’t wait to hear your report on how it has changed your life!

Would you prefer if they were italics?

-D/a

Lurking (I’ve been doing it since the 90s) is safer.

Now that I’m posting, I waste way too much time here…
Like tonight. I should be in bed by now. So I’m stoppi

That’s a coincidence: I just registered but probably won’t be a regular poster.

The main deterrent to me is the thought that what I write here is likely to exist almost indefinitely in some internet archive.

I would ask other lurkers if this is a factor for them, but I think there would be catastrophic sampling errors in such an exercise!

Also

is the clincher.

I used to be shy about posting, but then I said “Oh, really, who cares?!?”

Besides, compared to most of the stuff written here, my humble little posts are tame. And relatively sane (seriously, compared to some of the Denizens of The Pit… I’m Ward Cleaver).

And, as for my privacy, I doubt anyone will read my Leftie Libertarian posts and connect “digs” with Ralph Dignokowski, Asst. Scoutmaster of Troop 21, St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin…

my first post in over 7 years

how’s that?

No, no, it’s too late… :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, what if you broke eight years “radio silence”, and started your posting career with a typo?

I lurked from 2004-2008. I didn’t want to join when it was still pay-to-join, because I was in high school and didn’t have an independent source of income. I think I finally signed up, after membership became free*, when someone had had success with a very vague song identification, and I wanted to post this thread. Not so much success for me.
*I still want the distinction to change from Guest/Member to Member/Subscriber. :[

how am I doing?

I’m not all that sure you qualify as “reformed.”