Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Ask the chick getting baptized

I have been giving this thread a lot of contemplation, because I realize there are many on this board that are atheist, agnostic or have other religious/irreligious beliefs that are different from my own.
I'm not looking to preach at or convert anyone. I would really really appreciate keeping any questions/comments in the thread respectful.

That being said, I am going to get baptized this Sunday (Pentecost) . This is something I'm been contemplating for awhile & I'm ready to take the plunge (pun intended)

Again, I try to be respectful of others of all faiths, so I would ask the same in return.
Advertisements  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 PM

river, pool, hot tub?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 PM

The swimming pool at the Y, actually
Old 05-25-2012, 12:04 AM

Do you go under three times or just once?

Will you wear a robe, or other special garment? (I wore a white choir robe sort of thing over my clothes, but that was many years ago and they had a baptismal pool in the sanctuary of the church)

What denomination?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 AM

As far as I know, I go under once.

I plan to wear shorts, a sports bra & a thick t-shirt. I'll bring a dress & dry things to change into afterword, as there is a church service following.

I belong to the Church of God, International. It's a is a seventh-day Sabbatarian Christian church.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

If it's not too personal, why now? What was it that finally pushed you into doing this?

Were you baptized as a baby?

How old are you?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 AM
The Zeroeth Mod

How supportive (or not) are your family and friends regarding the baptism? Will you have a lot of people there with you? Is it typically a somber affair, or one that is light and celebratory?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 AM

Had you been baptised previously in a different denomination? (Background info: some Churches accept anybody else's Baptism as valid and do not accept re-baptism; others require that the believer be baptised in their Church)

Did you grow in another religion, this same one, or none?
Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 AM

What are you converting from? Atheism, Judaism, another Christian denomination, or something else?

Are you converting because a friend/family member/significant other wants you to? Or was it a totally personal decision? If it was totally personal, what made you choose this particular religion?

Will you have to wear skirts all the time now? I've only ever known one pentecostal girl (from high school) and she wasn't allowed to wear jeans. She wore jean skirts every day.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

While you're there, take a course!

"Learn To Swim".

Beyond that, I got nothin'.
~~Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-25-2012, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, and God's blessings on you.

My grandmother, pillar of her congregation, was an adult convert(Lutheran). She wasn't baptized or confirmed until after she married my grandfather. The first church service she remembers attending was with him, after they were courting, on Christmas Eve, 1923, in a little Lutheran Church in McFarland, KS. Grandma said she was impressed by the Christmas tree, but didn't understand a word of what was going on, as it was all in German!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Some really good questions here. I'll answer them one at a time.

Shakes:
I had, (for lack of a better word) an epiphany while I was attending a religious festival (The Feast of Tabernacles: more about that in a minute)

No, I was not baptized as a baby.

I am 33.

Asimovian: My family is very supportive, particularly my parents. there certainly hasn't been any negative feedback from anybody. There probably will be a few folks there from Church, maybe most of them.. As to the feel of the thing, I would say a little bit of both. It's a big commitment, but it's also a cause to rejoice.

Nava :
No, I have never been baptized. I grew up in a different organization, same denomination. I have never regularly attended any other church.

Rachelellogram:
I grew up in the denomination that I am joining. The thing is, I was non-practicing most of my adult life. I still believed in what I had been taught growing up, but I didn't pay attention to a lot of it. This is a completely personal decision that I am doing for myself, matter of fact, it's the other way 'round. My husband is getting baptized also, & he didn't grow up in the church I chose this church because I believe what they teach.
BTW Pentecost=/= Pentecostal. Lots of churches observe Pentecost. In our church it is part of a larger Holy Day cycle, of which the Feast of Tabernacles is one. You can read more about the Holy Days here.(That's a wiki link, BTW)
So ,yeah, I can still wear pants

Bosda :
I can already swim besides, our pastor has promised to only kill me a little bit

Baker :
Aww. *hugs* Thank you very much. This is more a renewal of my faith rather than a conversion, per se. But I am very glad I am doing it & it has helped me with a lot of things & been a very positive force in my life..

Thank you all for your thoughtful questions!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks for posting this. Just reading the title I thought "Ooh, she's brave" - for posting, not for getting baptized.

My church doesn't make any special observance of Pentecost but some recent Bible study has lead me to dig deeper into what it is and means.

Those aren't questions and this is an "ask the..." thread...

Will being baptized change your role in your church (suddenly on committees, able to participate in services in a different way?)

Happy Baptism!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks so much for your support! *hugs* If you have questions about Pentecost, PM me, I'll see if I can explain our observence.

I don't really expect things to change very much right now. I help in the kitchen, I sing special music occasionally. I plan to kepp on doing those things I'll certainly be happy to serve in any way that I'm asked. Our congregation is very small ( only about 20-30 people). So there's not a lot of "official" committees or anything like that.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM

I'm pretty ignorant about religion, so please excuse me if my questions are dumb.

Why this particular church? I don't understand the difference between Pentecostals, Lutherans, Anglicans, Baptists, etc. Are they fundamentally different or are they different 'flavours' of the same 'dish'?

Also, do you believe that everyone not of your religion is going to hell? If not, is that in opposition to your church's doctrine?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM

Phreesh, I think those are excellent questions! Let me see if I can try to answer them!

This particular church observes the Seventh day Sabbath, & the Holy Days, & I share the views they teach about heaven, hell & God's plan for mankind. Those are all things that make the church rather unique, & why I've never attended anyplace else.
I don't know a whole lot about other types of Christian denominations. I assume they differ in relative points of Doctrine & theology.

I don't believe that people go to hell when they die. I think that after this life people will be judged according to what knowledge they have/don't have about God & will have an opportunity to learn more about Him, & have a chance to be reconciled to Him. Only those who refuse to obey God or are incorrigible end up in Hell. God takes no pleasure in punishing the wicked. I also don't believe that Hell is an eternal torture chamber. This is pretty much in keeping with what our church teaches about Hell.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

janis_and_c0--question?

If you show up at baptism in SCUBA gear, do you go to Hell?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

janis_and_c0, do you believe that the actual immersion, ceremony, and whatever else it entails will change your body and/or mind in any detectable way? Undetectable way? If you say yes to either, could the same thing happen without the physical actions (say if you used flour instead of water)? If not, why not?

Are you making a distinction between this baptism event and casting a magic spell, like with amulets and chanting? If so, what is that distinction?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Musicat, I don't know what the teachings of the OP's church says about water, but in the Episcopal Church it is an important symbol during the baptism. We pour it over the head however. How it's administered is not important, just that it is. If someone came to our church from another denomination, having already been baptized, we're like most Christians, once is enough.

http://www.bcponline.org/

The above link is to the Book of Common Prayer for the Episcopal Church. It includes the order for Baptism, the explanation for the administration of the water starts on page 306. And later in the book, in the catechism, Baptism is dealt with on page 858.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Congratulations Pearl! I hope that your day is simply wonderful.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Bosda: The pool's not THAT deep, dude

Musicat: This is a very good qestion & one I've spent some time thinking about before I felt ready to answer, so I thank you for asking it. At Baptism, God gives you a small measure of His Spirit. It is a gift from Him to help you grow & continue to change into what He wants you to be. It's not a spell, it's a gift. The ritual of Baptism brings with it this gift. We follow Jesus's example in this way.

Baker: thanks for your imput!

moorland: Awww thanks so much, honey! I hope so, too!

Last edited by janis_and_c0; 05-26-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I've never actually met anyone from the CoGI or related churches in the Worldwide Church of God tradition. I did watch the broadcasts & get the literature, however. Btw- to all the Hell questions- this tradition teaches that at the Last Judgement, after a final opportunity to know Christ & follow God's Way, only those who steadfastly refuse get obliterated & cease to exist- no ongoing torture in Hell.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 AM

I was baptized. In a baptismal, specifically designed for the purpose no less.

I was a pre-teen, and at the time a bit skeptical about the terms of this ceremony. "So, once I do this I get into Heaven automatically? What if I get really mad one day and kill a guy or three? What then?" All I got was nonsensical gibberish. "You don't go to Heaven if you do horrible things", was the gist of it.

So, any Christian that hasn't been baptized yet goes to heaven, right? So do those that have been, right? If this is the case, isn't a baptism just a formality? I don't get it.

The whole concept of a Baptism was a huge turning point in my life in terms of my views on religion in general. I'll stop there, because talking to people about getting into religion is acceptable and commendable, but mentioning anything that even questions religion is both trolling and blasphemous.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janis_and_c0 View Post
This particular church observes the Seventh day Sabbath, & the Holy Days, & I share the views they teach about heaven, hell & God's plan for mankind. Those are all things that make the church rather unique, & why I've never attended anyplace else.
I don't know a whole lot about other types of Christian denominations. I assume they differ in relative points of Doctrine & theology.
The immense majority of Churches observe the Sabbath; most do it on Sunday and some are more strict than others (the RCC has no problem with someone "moving" his own Sabbath to another day if all he can get is weekend jobs; others do) but it's the Sabbath. Same for the high holidays: my Romanian coworker was stunned to discover that "Catholic Spain" does not consider Pentecost a national holiday (she's Orthodox).

Does your denomination accept newborns' baptism, or do you have to be a minimum age before you can get baptized?

dnooman, I can't answer for other denominations, but the RCC takes "baptism in the Spirit" into account. Similar to spouses marrying each other and the priest being only a witness, if you want to be baptized but haven't gotten through the ceremony and get hit by a car, it counts; at the same time, if someone gets dunked but does not believe, it doesn't count.

Last edited by Nava; 05-27-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:57 AM

FriarTed:
That's correct.. When did you watch the broadcasts?

dnooman:
I don't necessarily think that you're being trolling or blasphemous. I only asked for the respect I try to give others.
Many many men & women have questioned religion through the centuries. We all ask, "why are we here?" Or we look around at the sorrow in this world and think "Wow. is God really paying attention or does He even exist?". Still others become bitter through life circumstances, and decide "Well, if there is a God, He hates my guts, so hell with it, I'll do what I want." Still others come across a doctrine or belief that just doesn't well, make sense to them.
God is faithful. He's also merciful. when the time comes to be judged, He will judge us according to what we have done. He takes everything into account. Our thoughts our feelings and our actions. Our church teaches that people don't go to heaven when they die. John 3:13 Instead, the awesome thing is that Jesus is coming here. To us.
Baptism is more than a formality. Jesus was baptized by John because he wanted to do things the right way. It's a commitment. God's Spirit can & will leave if you purposely do evil. part of making that commitment is to obey Him. He has told us repent & be baptized Acts 23:8. And so we do. Thank you for your question.

Nava:
Nope. An infant doesn't understand the significance of the commitment they are making. There's no set minimum age. I would say someone who was in their late teens, perhaps would be mature enough to take that step.

Welp, Today is the big day. Thank you all again for your thoughful questions. They have really helped me to clarify some things to myself. I really appriciate the level of respect shown in this thread.

Last edited by janis_and_c0; 05-27-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the big day! I think we'll be having a couple baptized at my church as well.

I do have a confession to make. The last time we had a baptism I'd just recently seen The Godfather on television. So when Father Steve was asking the godparents the questions about renouncing the forces of evil, sinful desires, and so on, I started visualizing Michael Corleone and his responses. Gotta learn how to keep my mind concentrated.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:33 PM

janis_and_c0, I hope all went well for you today!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 PM

spotthegerbil: Yes it did. It was an overwhelmingly positive experience for both of us!!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 PM
BANNED

Okay, it may be a little odd to be baptized as an adult. That's a bit interesting on its own. But, more importantly, you've chosen to get baptized into a church that only exists because its founder was kicked out of his own church for his gambling and sexual impropriety, and so he started a new church where he would be welcome.

Why does it seem like a good idea to you to join a "church" like that?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

It's not odd to be baptized as an adult. Lots of people go through it, having not being connected to a church while growing up. As I mentioned upthread, my grandmother started attending church when she and my grandfather were courting. She was baptized and confirmed after their marriage.

Today, in my church, there were two baptisms. One was an infant, the other an adult woman.

I was a member of a church some years ago, a different congregation, in which an eleven year old boy was baptized. He was friends with a kid his age next door who attended our church and so he started coming with him. Kid finally asked, entirely on his own, to be baptized. This kids sponsors were the parents of his friend. His own parents didn't attend. They couldn't have cared less.

People come to faith in different ways, at different stages in their lives. It's never odd.

And please, this is a happy day for the OP. Your question is rather tasteless.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
And please, this is a happy day for the OP. Your question is rather tasteless.
Sorry, I still honestly don't have my sea-legs here. Judging my what you say, I should have kept my questions positive. "So, janis, how incredible and amazing is it?" Is that positive enough?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:54 PM

mister nyx, It's very incredible & amazing. I could not have come to this point in my life without God's help.
As for your other question, the simple fact is that one follows God. Not a man. One seeks the truth, not an organization, and because of some of the denomination's history, folks have learned the hard way that there is a vast difference. It's a fair question, because this issue has affected my own personal involvement with this church. If you have any other questions about this particular topic, feel free to PM me. I really don't wish to hijack or dereail this thread.

Last edited by janis_and_c0; 05-27-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 PM

Baker *HUGS Thank you.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
mister nyx, It's very incredible & amazing. I could not have come to this point in my life without God's help.
As for your other question, the simple fact is that one follows God. Not a man. One seeks the truth, not an organization, and because of some of the denomination's history, folks have learned the hard way that there is a vast difference. It's a fair question, because this issue has affected my own personal involvement with this church. If you have any other questions about this particular topic, feel free to PM me. I really don't wish to hijack or dereail this thread.
So God wanted you to follow someone who didn't try to live up to His commandments, in His church, so God kicked His representative out to form a new church?

Seriously, while I can imagine and (I think) understand finding the Church were I directed by God, I can't understand in the slightest how one could "find" this Church. It seems obvious on its face that this couldn't be the real Church, given its origin. How could God direct someone to this? Is this the real Church? How could that possibly be?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:12 PM

I would again prefer to discuss this issue via PM. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I would again prefer to discuss this issue via PM. Thanks.
. . . that totally makes it seem plausible and sensible.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 PM

Dude, she asked you in the nicest possible way to take it to PM so you didn't derail the thread.

Janis, I'm an atheist, and always will be, but I can't find it in my heart to be against someone else finding what they consider a spiritual home. I remember my childhood in the church fondly, and I hope that you find that your baptism is the start of a supportive and healthy relationship between you and your chosen church. You picked a good liturgical time of year for a "new birth!"
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 PM
BANNED

All I did was ask. Seemed like that was within the bounds of the thread.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 PM

Lasciel
I did indeed! Thank you for your kind words!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

I was going to address the challenges that just came up but that would just continue the derailing.

To janis' questions to me- I got the magazine of the original WCG & watched the show for years, when it was hosted by the son, the dad again, & then his successor who took the church in a more mainstream direction & renamed it as Grace Communion International. I also got the publications of the son & watched his broadcasts on behalf of the CGI. And after his disfellowshiping, I have watched occasionally the present Armor of God broadcast. I have also watched shows & read the websites of the various other groups- the UCG, the RCG, the PCG, and even the British-Israel Church of God.

So yeah, I pretty much am aware of the movement, its strengths & weaknesses, & I am happy for janis_&_c0
Old 05-28-2012, 01:06 AM

moderator note

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister nyx View Post
. . . that totally makes it seem plausible and sensible.
Please take your hijack somewhere else, mister nyx. Do not continue your personal hijack here. Either take it to PM or start a pit thread about it if you feel that strongly.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
Please take your hijack somewhere else, mister nyx. Do not continue your personal hijack here. Either take it to PM or start a pit thread about it if you feel that strongly.
I won't try to ask about her (I must assume very fragile) faith any further. But I don't understand why asking questions regarding a topic from a person who has solicited questions regarding that topic would be out of line. If she doesn't want questions about her experience and her decision, I don't quite understand why this thread is still open. Asking her direct questions about her decision in a thread in which she invites questions about her decision seems like anything but a hijack.

I apologize if I've done something wrong and I would appreciate it if you directed me to the rule I've violated. I don't want to screw up again.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 AM

moderator note

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister nyx View Post
I won't try to ask about her (I must assume very fragile) faith any further. But I don't understand why asking questions regarding a topic from a person who has solicited questions regarding that topic would be out of line. If she doesn't want questions about her experience and her decision, I don't quite understand why this thread is still open. Asking her direct questions about her decision in a thread in which she invites questions about her decision seems like anything but a hijack.
You asked your question (here) and it was answered (here--where is also where she asked you to take any further inquires on that subject to PM). This is the place to ask questions, just not try to debate things based on how you feel. If you wish to do that, just open another topic (in GD or the Pit).

Quote:
I apologize if I've done something wrong and I would appreciate it if you directed me to the rule I've violated. I don't want to screw up again.
It's fine. What you should do if you don't understand why you got a note, however, is to PM the mod or make a thread in About This Message Board.

There is no specific rule written yet for hijacking (or "threadshitting" as some might see it)...however it would fall under the main guideline of "Don't be a jerk" written in the second paragraph in the TOS.

If you have any other questions, please make a topic in ATMB, so we don't hijack this one even further.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 05-28-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:26 AM

Phew! The topic has indeed gone off the rails.
For the record, I felt I had indeed answered Nyx's question (Which, again, as I see it, is a fair question,) & I am trying to explain my position further via PM.
Idle Thoughts, Friar Ted thank you for backing me on this.

Last edited by janis_and_c0; 05-28-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Any mention of religious observance tends to draw thread-shitting on the SDMB. :shrugs:

Welcome to the Church, janis_and_c0. My prayers are with you.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Thank you very much Shodan, my friend. I appriciate that! Mine will be with you as well!