The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 PM

Sons of Anarchy 9/11

Anybody else looking forward to this premier? I am so amped for this. I think it will be interesting to see if they go back to the raw badassness of season one now that Jax is prez.

Does Clay still hold any sort of officer position or is he fully demoted to just a full patch member? Will Gemma cut Clay's balls off and feed them to him? How will Tara deal with Clay trying to kill her? Will Tigg still try to fuck everything that moves and how will he deal with no longer being Stg. at Arms?Will last season's plot line with Juice basically turning into a rat come into play this season?

I'm on pins and needles and cannot fucking wait till it starts tomorrow at 9:00PM.

Advertisements  
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Will the rest of the Sons finally realize that Piney is spending an unusually long time drinking at the cabin? We just finished watching season 4 on DVD last week. We decided to subscribe to Super Channel here in Canada just so we wouldn't have to wait a year for season 5 to come out.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting the premiere! This will help get me through while waiting for the conclusion of Breaking Bad.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 PM

I've been ready for weeks if not months. Just a matter of hours now.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogly Woogly View Post
Will the rest of the Sons finally realize that Piney is spending an unusually long time drinking at the cabin? We just finished watching season 4 on DVD last week. We decided to subscribe to Super Channel here in Canada just so we wouldn't have to wait a year for season 5 to come out.
Oh yeah, WTF is going to happen with Opie? As far as I can recall Jax, Gemma, Unser, Clay and Opie are the only ones who know that Clay killed Piney. IIRC Jax wanted to make Opie his VP, but Opie didn't show up at the clubhouse. I can't imagine how Opie is going to be able to be in a club with a man who killed his dad and his wife.

This is gonna be good.

Last edited by Bambro; 09-11-2012 at 09:53 AM..
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Holy Crap! I'm sooooo going to record this episode....
and I only started watching this show earlier this week. I've only seen the first 4 or 5 episodes of season 1; and I'm totally hooked. Man oh man, I wish I'd known about this when it first came on. Well... I knew about it; but I thought to myself, why would I want to watch a tv show about a bunch of bikers? PURE AWESOMENESS THAT'S WHY!

Oh, and might I add; "Peg Bundy" holds herself together pretty well, I'd say.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
Holy Crap! I'm sooooo going to record this episode....
and I only started watching this show earlier this week. I've only seen the first 4 or 5 episodes of season 1; and I'm totally hooked. Man oh man, I wish I'd known about this when it first came on. Well... I knew about it; but I thought to myself, why would I want to watch a tv show about a bunch of bikers? PURE AWESOMENESS THAT'S WHY!

Oh, and might I add; "Peg Bundy" holds herself together pretty well, I'd say.
Based on the aging Old Ladies I have met, she is very true to the reality too!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM

we're probalby behind over here... i've missed a few eps and im starting not to care, its really losing me, hopefully it picks up. still going through the whole saga in ireland.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coustralee View Post
we're probalby behind over here... i've missed a few eps and im starting not to care, its really losing me, hopefully it picks up. still going through the whole saga in ireland.
You're just now up to where they are in Ireland? Holy hell that's pretty far behind. Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?

I would highly recommend that you stick with it. The ending of that season is the best one I've seen. It is fucking amazing. I agree that the slog through the shows when they were in Ireland was kind of slow, but the info gained while they were there sets the stage for the entire next season.

And seriously, the ending of that season was AWESOME!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Can't wait! So looking forward to this.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambro View Post
You're just now up to where they are in Ireland? Holy hell that's pretty far behind. Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?

I would highly recommend that you stick with it. The ending of that season is the best one I've seen. It is fucking amazing. I agree that the slog through the shows when they were in Ireland was kind of slow, but the info gained while they were there sets the stage for the entire next season.

And seriously, the ending of that season was AWESOME!
I agree, but it sucks when they are still in Ireland, MAN it DRAGS!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 AM

yeah in australia we've just finished the irish bit it seems. the show is buried at 9.30 on a digital channel and not really promoted, most people probably just buy the dvds
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM

Well......what did everyone think?? I was rather impressed and I think it's gonna be one helluva season!

SPOILER:
The scene with Tig's daughter was so hard to watch.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Well......what did everyone think?? I was rather impressed and I think it's gonna be one helluva season!

SPOILER:
The scene with Tig's daughter was so hard to watch.
True. Evidence that the writers have kicked it up a notch. Jimmy Smits may turn Gemma's world upside down and Clay can lie with the best of them.

Tig's revenge on Pope will be at least as sweet as Opie's with the agent Stahl splatter.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM

I have to watch it again tonight, but al in all I thought it was great. Tig is going to go crazy on Pope. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Nero character but so far I like him. That surprises me because usually I cannot stand Jimmy Smits.

I want to see more Opie. He's my favorite and was hoping they would deal with him more last night. I also wanted to see Chucky. That guy cracks me up.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 PM

Well I think that was worth paying extra for Super Channel. Poor Tig. I know he's a violent criminal and everything but that was heartbreaking. He is so messed up.

It's funny seeing Jimmy Smits going from President to "companionator".
Old 09-12-2012, 02:56 PM
BANNED

Um. WHat are y'all talking about?

Signed,

Generally Not a TV Watcher
Old 09-12-2012, 03:06 PM

I left the room when the scene started. It was really well done...and now Tig is even crazier!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
I left the room when the scene started. It was really well done
Agreed. Last season ended on what I thought was a shit-storm. This season's premiere indicates that last season's ending was just the gust front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
...and now Tig is even crazier!
And that's really saying something.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynyc View Post
Um. WHat are y'all talking about?

Signed,

Generally Not a TV Watcher
It's not that hard to figure out, as it's right in the title.

Sons of Anarchy. Check it out at www.imdb.com

Season 5 just kicked off last night.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Great first episode of the season. I'm a big Jimmy Smits fan, and am really happy to see him back on TV in a good show. The Latina woman who helps him run his business in the show is Smits' real-life partner Wanda de Jesus. They've been together over 25 years. I remember when she did a guest spot in an early season of NYPD Blue.

This episode really set up a whole bunch of stuff for the season, although i realized early on that i probably should have watched the last few episodes of season 4, ust to remind myself about what the hell was going on. I had forgotten, for example, about Danny Trejo's character's true identity, and it took me a moment to remember, and to work out what was going on.

Anyway, looking forward to the rest of the season, and i hope that plenty of people will stick around to discuss it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coustralee View Post
Season 3 sucked, for the most part. The stuff in Ireland was woeful. It's worth pushing through it, though, because the end of the season, and then season 4, really get things back on track.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 AM

IMHO last night's episode was the poo! If fuckin rocked.

I am really starting to like Nero. He has the potential to be a great friend to the club. The scene where he and Jax were driving and he played chicken with the One Niners was awesome. I'm not sure yet if he has ulterior motives for helping the club, but for now I am willing to accept it at face value.

Tig is really spiraling out of control. I understand his anger and desire for vengeance, but he has completely removed what is best for the club from his thought process completely. The scene where he walked in on his daughter getting nailed was pretty jaw dropping to me.

I was really surprised that Opie didn't cap Clay last night when he showed up at Opie's house. But I knew exactly what was going to happen when Opie got to the shop when everyone was getting arrested. I thought that part was great. It reminded me of my friends when I was younger. If you went to jail they'd either get you out, or get in there with you.

I couldn't really tell, but I think the guys it showed throwing away Clay's safe into the dumpster were the new nomads who just joined the club. If so, I wonder if that means Clay put them up to breaking in and stealing it since that would be the only way for him to get the contents. Otherwise they're working for Pope, which seems pretty unlikely to me.

What did you guys think of last night's episode? In all, I'd rate it as FUCKING AWESOME, but you're scale may vary from mine.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM

Why would Clay want the contents of the safe? That scene passed by so fast I wasn't sure what was going on. They were looking at yellow documents - what were those?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Haha, I just saw an episode in season 3 where Gemma is on the run, and they suggest she color her hair red. She said she'd rather cut off her hair than be a red head! Great Married! With Children reference.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
Why would Clay want the contents of the safe? That scene passed by so fast I wasn't sure what was going on. They were looking at yellow documents - what were those?
I could only see that one of them was a marriage license.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I could only see that one of them was a marriage license.
It was Clay and Gemma's marriage license. I paused it to look.

The other was a birth certificate for Thomas Wayne Teller, with parents John and Gemma Teller.

I guess that means Jax has/had a brother. Have we had any indication of this before?

I thought it was an excellent episode, and i'm really digging Jimmy Smits' character.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
It was Clay and Gemma's marriage license. I paused it to look.

The other was a birth certificate for Thomas Wayne Teller, with parents John and Gemma Teller.

I guess that means Jax has/had a brother. Have we had any indication of this before?

I thought it was an excellent episode, and i'm really digging Jimmy Smits' character.
IIRC in season one they mentioned that Jax had a brother named Thomas who died and that was what led to the wedge between Gemma and John.

Last edited by Bambro; 09-21-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
IIRC in season one they mentioned that Jax had a brother named Thomas who died and that was what led to the wedge between Gemma and John.
I'm watching season 3 now; and there's a slight reference to another child there too.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Iím surprised, especially since some of you seem to be avid watchers.

Thomas has been a constant presence throughout the series. His illness and death have been referred to many times over. There was at least one scene (if not more) with Jax at his brotherís grave. Gemma refers to Thomasí illness several times as the impetus for her and Johnís distance. Johnís voiceovers refer to Thomas many times, not least in his letters to Maureen. Weíve learned that it was Thomasí illness that brought JT back from Belfast and indirectly precipitated his (JTís) death.

Did yíall really miss all of the references to Thomas? Iím honestly curious if itís something thatís obvious to me only as someone whoís watched each episode multiple times, or if itís something that shouldnít slip past the casual viewerÖ
Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraiel View Post
Iím surprised, especially since some of you seem to be avid watchers.

Thomas has been a constant presence throughout the series. His illness and death have been referred to many times over. There was at least one scene (if not more) with Jax at his brotherís grave. Gemma refers to Thomasí illness several times as the impetus for her and Johnís distance. Johnís voiceovers refer to Thomas many times, not least in his letters to Maureen. Weíve learned that it was Thomasí illness that brought JT back from Belfast and indirectly precipitated his (JTís) death.

Did yíall really miss all of the references to Thomas? Iím honestly curious if itís something thatís obvious to me only as someone whoís watched each episode multiple times, or if itís something that shouldnít slip past the casual viewerÖ
Sorry, I just tend to forget some things having to wait a year between seasons.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I just tend to forget some things having to wait a year between seasons.
That is an excellent point. I picked up SoA late in the game, when seasons 1-3 were free through Amazon Prime streaming. I watched the first three seasons in a marathon over two weeks, and have re-watched some of my favorite episodes upwards of ten times. I held off buying season four (until this thread, actually. I opened it, was spoiled, and had to watch the rest immediately [you bastard ]). Now Iím subscribed to the new season.

If you watch back-to-back episodes (four or five episodes an evening, a season in three to four days), references to Thomas are ubiquitous. Iím not exactly sure when Gemma and Clay got together, when JT took off to Belfast, or the sequence of JTís manuscript in relation to his letters to Maureen, but itís clear that Thomasí illness and death is a driving undercurrent to the showís entire premise.

Donít know if I would have caught it were I watching one episode a week for 12-14 weeks a year, though.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 PM

Fuck this fucking show.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:12 AM

Fuck. That was as bad as last week. (I mean watching it was hard, not that the show was bad.) The show is awesome and that's what's so terrible. Fuck. Make me love these characters and...goddamn.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey View Post
Fuck. That was as bad as last week. (I mean watching it was hard, not that the show was bad.) The show is awesome and that's what's so terrible. Fuck. Make me love these characters and...goddamn.
They all but had that character last week say "I'm only one day from retirement!".
Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Charter Member

Surely I'm not the only one who cried like a baby. Right?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfool View Post
Surely I'm not the only one who cried like a baby. Right?
That was hard to watch
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM

I was expecting him to volunteer to go in (Katniss style), but the way it went down was very very hard to watch.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 AM

Augh. That was brutal.

I wonder how honest Jax was being when he was talking to whatshisface. About Tig.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
Augh. That was brutal.

I wonder how honest Jax was being when he was talking to whatshisface. About Tig.
Chibs or Pope?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

I caoudn't believe they kille dOpie. The Winston family can't catch a break around SAMCRO; Donna, Piney, and now Opie.

The Sons are making enemies faster than they are friends, and are in a hole so deep, one good kick and they're in China.

Anyone who thinks shows like this "glamorize" criminal/outlaw life haven't been paying attention.

Jax needs to turn Happy loose on that entire prsion's guard staff.

BTW, does anyone else think that Clay called the police and dropped the dime on Nero and his operation? As revenge for screwing his Old Lady?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
BTW, does anyone else think that Clay called the police and dropped the dime on Nero and his operation? As revenge for screwing his Old Lady?
Yeah. I was really annoyed at Juice for taking him there! WTF?

I meant when Jax was talking to that scary black boss dude. I can't remember his name, but Jax told him that he could set Tig on fire later if he let him leave prison now. That's the part I was wondering if Jax was serious about.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking either the hooker Gemma beat, or the hooker's other brothel keeper. Nero had arrangements, so someone had to have clout to overcome them. With Unser retired, Clay has sweet fuck all for connections in law enforcement. Hell, even within the club.

Unless the Irish Kings are neck deep in the California pussy trade, I don't think it was Clay or his connections.

And yes, the Sons should just turn Happy loose. On everyone.

Last edited by azraiel; 09-26-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:

And yes, the Sons should just turn Happy loose. On everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy
Oh yes I will!!!
I watched the show last night (was playing MoP Tuesday night). I'm still pissed off. Opie was my favorite and to watch him go out like that was...painful.

If you guys are interested, Sutter gives his reasoning here.

In the comments from fans I read that Opie seems to be Ophelia in this version of Hamlet. I'm not that familiar with the original story of Hamlet, so I have to ask, what do you guys think?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I caoudn't believe they kille dOpie. The Winston family can't catch a break around SAMCRO; Donna, Piney, and now Opie.

The Sons are making enemies faster than they are friends, and are in a hole so deep, one good kick and they're in China.

Anyone who thinks shows like this "glamorize" criminal/outlaw life haven't been paying attention.

Jax needs to turn Happy loose on that entire prsion's guard staff.

Yes. And it is Clay behind the Charming home invasions. Unser suspects this.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Second Stone View Post
SPOILER:
I believe it is the recently added Nomad members. I also wouldn't be surprised if Clay had them join to give him votes if needed in the future.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I don't watch the show, but there are news reports that a character from SoA died committing a home invasion, or so it seems. Character was Kip "Half Sack" Epps, actor Johnny Lewis.

StG
Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
I don't watch the show, but there are news reports that a character from SoA died committing a home invasion, or so it seems. Character was Kip "Half Sack" Epps, actor Johnny Lewis.

StG
It was his landlady, and he had just recently been released from jail.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Second Stone
Serious question: what makes you think Clay is behind the home invasions? They weren't there at his invitation--the entire Nomad Charter dissolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroVertigo View Post
SPOILER:
I believe it is the recently added Nomad members. I also wouldn't be surprised if Clay had them join to give him votes if needed in the future.
Not sure why you spoilered your speculation, especially since the same idea was floated upthread. It seems obvious that the three former Nomads are behind the home invasions--the third cut's prosthetic leg is featured prominently in both their introduction (up on Phil's shoulder in the meeting room) and in the home invasion scene at Gemma's (running past Unser's head). Add the safe dumping scene to it, and it's clear.

Observation: I watched ep 3 for the second time last night and noticed that the agency raiding Nero's brothel was Stockton PD, not the San Joaquin Sheriff. All other law enforcement interaction this season has been with San Joaquin, and Stockton PD has only been mentioned in passing in the first four seasons (if I recall correctly). Is it just the the brothel is in Stockton? Or do other fingers pull that PD's strings?

Speculation: I'm thinking either or both of the home invasion and brothel raid story lines introduce new major players. It's too late in the series to perpetuate the "one major criminal antagonist/one major LEO antagonist, resolution by season end" theme of the first few seasons. Sutter has stated that his intention is for seven seasons. I think the interactions and (potential) resolutions get much more complex from here out.

Questions and WAG1: So who ran and who dissolved the Nomad Charter? One of the Original 9? What caused him to dissolve the charter? Is this JT writing stuff? Is this Real IRA stuff? Is it something that happened in Belfast? Was the charter dissolved because the senior members wanted out? Or because they had unfinished business (in Charming, with Clay, in Belfast, with the Kings, etc.)? I think there's a better than even chance that the Nomad Prez/officers show up as players in the story line, if not in person.

WAG2: This shit's about to get heavy.

I just settled all my lawsuits! Fuck you Debbie!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I think there's a better than even chance that the Nomad Prez/officers show up as players in the story line, if not in person.
Hells Angel, Rusty Coones, to play Nomad charter prez in season 5
Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 AM

Now if I'd just made that prediction before the announcement, I'd look like a fucking genius.

I don't read any media about the show before hand, but I've no way to prove it.

Pleased in my own sphere, still.