Is it EVER a good idea to suggest someone strip for extra cash?

I have a very attractive friend who is very down on her luck right now, as many people are. She’s one rent payment away from being homeless, and her family is in no position to help (they don’t even live in the same time zone).

Anyway, there’s no doubt this friend would rake it in at a gentlemans’ club. I’ve thought several times of suggesting it, but something about it makes it feel like it’s akin to suggesting a woman get an abortion to deal with an unwanted pregnancy.

I guess I’m asking a couple of things here:
[ol]
[li]When, if ever, is it okay to suggest a woman strip to get by financially?[/li][li]Why or why not?[/li][li]Is stripping generally a thought that enters most young women’s heads when they are struggling financially?[/li][/ol]
And I also want to dismiss any suggestion of lecherous activity on my part. She and I had a very brief romance once, but not anymore. I’ve already seen all there is to see. :wink:

No, never a good idea. If she is desperate, I’m sure she’s thought about it (either dismissed it right away or considered it). If she wants to talk about it with you, she will. You aren’t doing her a favor by bringing it up.

That said, if she brings it up, listen to her. I certainly wouldn’t encourage her, but you could walk her through some good questions to have her consider practical or emotional aspects she hasn’t really worked through.

Cocktail waitress probably better than stripping. Less money but still very good. Clothes stay on.

My gut instinct is to answer “Good God, no.”

Is she a talented dancer?

If she’s attractive enough to rake it in stripping she should also be attractive enough to rake it in with a sales job.

Never.
It pretty much says “I think you’re better than a street prostitute… I mean… a little” and “you’re both desperate and talentless… but you do have nice boobs.”

ETA: Exactly Debaser. The nice-boobed usually have better options than letting pathetic strangers grope them for cash.

If she’s such an innocent flower that the thought of striping would never occur to her unless you suggested it, I doubt it would be right for her.

Interesting question. Over the years I have known quite a few women who have accepted sex related jobs other than prostitution when they were down on their luck. Things such as telephone sex, stripping or nude modeling. Some I know were quickly tempted by the money and crossed the line into prostitution where others did a little stint and did not like it and simply moved on. Hard to say how someone will respond to this type of job. Once in the industry the outcome is usually not so good.

Eh. How open to the idea of going to a strip club is she? How sexually “open” is she? And is she tough enough to do the job, and deal with getting pawed and regularly propositioned for sex?

I have suggested doing webcam shows to a few female friends, and even had one ask for more information. None of them have been upset by the idea, though I am friends with some pretty out there chicks. :slight_smile:

Neither my mother nor my Baptist minister grandfather took such a suggestion from me well. Which is a shame because gramps could have really raked in the dough.

But seriously, I’ll also go with probably not a good idea. Though I do suppose you could get sneaky with it and have someone in the industry “accidently” run into her somewhere and make this suggestion themselves.

As someone upthread said what I would be more worried about is that she gets into that industry and doesn’t keep her head on straight and next thing you know she is an actual drug addicted prostitute.

I work at a college in Las Vegas, and we have had several women in school who currently are, or were, dancers in shows that, uh, involved dancing around a pole.

They really have used the money to pay for their education - they are quite “normal” people and every one of them is aware that dancing is a limited profession due to age and body type.

So, go ahead and mention “some guy on the SDMB” mentioned some of his students have earned some good money working at men’s clubs that have allowed them to pay bills, go to school and live quite nicely. You can go on to mention these were “normal” women and not sleezy streetwalkers and nobody at the school ever made any snide or nasty comments about their job. One of these students quit working at the club last year, just recently got married and had a baby, and is about to graduate (with a GPA of 3.5) next month. So it worked out quite nicely for her (as well as the others).

Would it be my first choice for a friend? Probably not. But when times are tough, it is not the worst option.

Just give her $500 to strip for you. Win/win.

I know a woman who has posed, nude, for art students, for the last 30 years. Along with another part time job, this has been how she has made a living. She is kinda homely, average weight/height, with small breasts. Just another idea.

Certainly a lot safer and less scuzzy than stripping.

I don’t know any strippers but I’ve talked to a lot of girls that work on webcams. Webcams are a bit harder maybe because it takes a little while to build up a client base. Also, you only keep 60% of what you make, and that is at a “good” webcam company. But of course they can do this in relative privacy from their home whereas stripping is not the same.

I think the problem with stripping or working on a webcam is that the “easy money” is going to entice you to do tings you might not otherwise do. But lots of girls have strict rules for what they will do or not do and for these girls it is fine.

I’d tell her, if she is interested, to find a reputable club and talk to some of the girls there to see what it’s like. It’s a very good way to make money if you have the looks for it and the personality to handle the stress and temptations.

Pays less, and you have to be able to sit for an hour very still, often in unusually poses.

The only circumstance I can imagine where it’d being acceptable to suggest to a friend-girl that she strip for cash, is immediately following a confession of her own that she routinely strips for free.

No, it is NOT okay to suggest. No matter how you phrase it, it’s going to come off as demeaning. If I was in a financial hole and a male friend of mine suggested “hey, take your clothes off for money” I would probably quit talking to him for a while.

If she’s that down on her luck, trust me, she’s already thought of it.

Tell your friend to get a pharmaceutical rep job. It’s not any more classy but she gets to keep her clothes on and eat nice dinners on the company dime.

Apropos of nothing, I am friends with a camgirl whose screenname is “apollonia” (plus a couple of bonus characters). :smiley:

and what if a female friend suggested it? would you quit talking to them?