The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Movies you wish had a sequel (but didn't)

Since so many movies have sequels (and many of the sequels sucking) I thought it would be interesting to talk about movies that did not have a sequel but should have.

I'll start it off with my pick: Valley Girl.

If Julies friends gave her grief the first time she dated Randy, can you imagine the shitstorm they cause now that she's hooked up with him again? Especially since she helped ruin their prom to do it.

And I'd love to hear the conversation between her and Randy about how cold around the heart she was when she dumped him to go back with Tommy.

And speaking of Tommy; what was with that reservation at the Hollywood Sheraton? Did Tommy Boy think he was going to score? And seeing it was Julie and Randy that went instead, did Randy score?

Alright. Your turn.

Last edited by pkbites; 11-30-2012 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: Was it the Sheraton or the Hilton?
Advertisements  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
And speaking of Tommy; what was with that reservation at the Hollywood Sheraton?
It was the Valley Sheraton.

William Stranix
Old 11-30-2012, 03:30 AM

Witness II: Revenge of the Amish
Walking Off That Creme Brle with Andre

On a more serious note, I would suggest that a sequel to When Harry Met Sally might have been good. We know the characters and their funny quirks, now let's see how that plays out within the commitment of marriage. Might be interesting to hunorously yet intelligently explore themes of expectation, disappointment, and aging as a couple.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 AM

I'd love to see a few more films in the "Joe vs the" series.

I wish The Golden Compass had made enough to warrant sequels because I'd love to see a children's movie with gay angels and an insane God.

When I was a kid I was super gung ho about Star Wars 7-9 but now that it's happening I'm a bit wary.

Not strictly sequels, but I'd like to see a few more Tom Robbins novels adapted for the screen.

I wouldn't mind an Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Serenity definitely needs to be a trilogy.

More of a DVD TV movie thing but I'd like to see a few more installments of DS9 and Stargate Universe.

I know it was a gag but that's no reason not to make History of the World part II.

Last edited by jackdavinci; 11-30-2012 at 04:05 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Streets of Fire was intended to be the first part of a trilogy that never came to be.

Woe that it was not so.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:41 AM

Buckaroo Bonzai will return in Buckaroo Banzai Against The World Crime League
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 AM

I wanted a Return of the Jedi Sequel. My prayers were unfortunately answered.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 AM

The Rocketeer
Sahara
Galaxy Quest
The Incredibles
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM

I would like to see a sequel to Blade Runner that isn't about any of the major characters from that movie. I know that Soldier with Kurt Russell is supposed to be set in the same universe, but it wasn't really what I was looking for.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
On a more serious note, I would suggest that a sequel to When Harry Met Sally might have been good. We know the characters and their funny quirks, now let's see how that plays out within the commitment of marriage. Might be interesting to hunorously yet intelligently explore themes of expectation, disappointment, and aging as a couple.
Way ahead of you.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM

Ferris Beuller's Day Off From Work - Presidential Crises!

The youngest US president ever decides to not go in to work one day. The rest of the world learns a valuable lesson: "Life moves pretty fast ..."
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Other Waldo Pepper -- hilarious! Even better than my idea.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 11-30-2012 at 08:15 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 AM

Who Framed Roger Rabbit --- they apparently wanted to do this, but it's hard to get the various squabbling parties to agree. There was a follow-up comic, not to mention the three Roger Rabbit theatrical shorts (anything that gives us more Roger, and especially more Jessica, is welcome), but another movie coulda been good.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 AM

I was so disappointed they never had a sequel to Breakin'.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 AM

I'd like to see them do a sequel to John Carter, but it ain't gonna happen. Too bad.

I loved Nicholas Meyer's TV movie Judge Dee and the Monastery Murders, which introduced me to Robert H. van Gulik's series of mysteries basede upon the very real Djien-djieh Dee. He was trying to get it made as a series, but the networks balked, possibly at the cost of recreating T'ang dynasty China every week, or maybe because they didn't think Americans would go for a series with only Chinese characters*. They compromised and cast the lead in a detective series set in modern-day San Francisco, called Chang!. That's like making a TV series out of Gone With The Wind and setting it in present-day Georgia.

I heard that Paul Veerhoeven was going to adapt Dee for the big screen, but I was either mistaken, or he changed his mind.

There was a Chinese Dee movie about a year or two ago, but it was a martial arts wirework epic. That';s like really wanting to see Spielberg's Lincoln, but your spouse rents Abraham Lincoln -- Vampire Hunter instead.

I want more Dee, dammit! The real thing.

*Although, ironically, the only cast member not of Asian ancestry was the guy playing Dee himself, Khigh Dhiegh (Real name: Kennetrh Dickerson, whose initials were phonetically spelled). The British had a six-episode Dee series in the 1960s, so it lasted longer there, but most, if not all, roles were played by non-Asians like Timothy Dalton.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 11-30-2012 at 08:30 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM

The obligatory 'I wish that Highlander had a sequel.' post.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 AM

The Warriors... come out and plaaaaaaaaaaay!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
They compromised and cast the lead in a detective series set in modern-day San Francisco, called Chang!. That's like making a TV series out of Gone With The Wind and setting it in present-day Georgia.
You're referring, of course, to the Georgia bordered by Russia?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
You're referring, of course, to the Georgia bordered by Russia?
I've always wanted to do a version of Midnight Train to Georgia, sung with a Russian accent and accompanied by balalaika.

Quote:
Moskva
Was too much for the man....

[/end of hijack]

Last edited by CalMeacham; 11-30-2012 at 09:16 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrich View Post
I'm on board with The Warriors too. I always wondered if Swan really did just take off, or if stuck around Coney and led the boys in more bops.

Of course, I like to image the actors in other roles are playing out the sequel. So in my world, Swan went on to be a roller-skating pussy who fell in love with Olivia Newton-John, and after Ajax (real name: Ganz) got out of juvi, he moved to San Francisco to fuck with Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 11-30-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM

A Knight's Tale. I suppose it had the happy ever after ending, but there are SO many directions it could have gone in. Adimar told William that he had entered into negotiations with Jocelyn's father for her... Just because William was made a knight, that does not mean those negotiations would have stopped.

Would have loved to seen more of my beloved characters.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
I wish The Golden Compass had made enough to warrant sequels because I'd love to see a children's movie with gay angels and an insane God.
This, and Unfortunate Events. I do think I would have thoroughly liked Golden Compass had they made more, whereas for ASoUE I would have enjoyed it only for the visuals.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Serenity
Definitely Buckaroo Banzai
Princess Bride
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM

When Worlds Collide

Although I don't think I'd like them filming the Wylie and Balmer novel After Worlds Collide

Forbidden Planet actually did have a sorta sequel, a much lower-budget black and white The Invisible Boy, but I'd like to see a real sequel.

Similarly, they gave Schoedsack and Cooper less than half the budget and only nine months to film the sequel to King Kong, so they came up with the overly padded and comic-themed Son of Kong. But they coulda done much better given enough time and money. I'd love to see that.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM

Reservoir Dogs needs a sequel with all the surviving characters: The Sam Jackson lookalike, the waitress, and the Silver Surfer poster.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM

"The Incredibles" is definitely at the top of the list for me.

Other movies? Any super-hero type of movie could go with a sequel, like "Mystery Men 2" or "Another Undercover Brother" or "Bigger Trouble in Smaller China".

On a side note: When I was a kid, I used to joke with my brother that the least essential sequel would be "Micki + Maude 2". But somehow fantasy has merged with reality in my brain and sometimes I'm not sure whether "Micki + Maude 2" exists or not! So maybe they should really make a sequel to "Micki + Maude" to put me out of my misery.

Last edited by hogarth; 11-30-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM

I want a third installment, perhaps a reboot, of Ghostbusters.

I want a sequel of The Goonies, with all of the original cast.

Mostly to satisfy my inner child.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Unbreakable. No twist, just gritty heroics.

Fight Club. That ending was so interesting.

The Incredibles.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM

I've always wanted to see "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" get made, but I don't want Tim Burton or Johnny Depp to have anything to do with it.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
This, and Unfortunate Events. I do think I would have thoroughly liked Golden Compass had they made more, whereas for ASoUE I would have enjoyed it only for the visuals.
Definitely Series of Unfortunate Events. Not only do the books call for it, but I thought the movie was pretty good. Underrated.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
I want a third installment, perhaps a reboot, of Ghostbusters.

I want a sequel of The Goonies, with all of the original cast.

Mostly to satisfy my inner child.
Ghostbusters 3 is coming......eventually. It was supposed to be out this year, but filming got pushed back to fall of next year, unfortunately.

I always wanted a sequel to Will Smith's Wild Wild West. Also would love to see one for Evolution, Slither, and Night of the Comet. (Yea, I love cheesy movies.)
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM

I am a sucker for post apocalyptic stuff, so I have always wanted to see sequels to stuff set in them to see how society starts to rebuild itself.

What happened after The Day After?

How does society develop after The Stand was over?

Though to answer the OP, I would love an Equilibrium sequel, as well as a decent sequel to The Last Starfighter. Lot of meat on the Starfighter bones, imo...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM

still waiting for Escape From Earth
Old 11-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Accident View Post
Ghostbusters 3 is coming......eventually. It was supposed to be out this year, but filming got pushed back to fall of next year, unfortunately.)
There still isn't an agreed upon script. Murray is in as much as he is out. It's probably not going to happen.

The reboot is more likely. I'd have been happy if they had done GB3 in the late 90's and used the original concept of Ghost Busters as municpal workers like garbage men. Sandler, Farley, Rock and Spaid would have been great.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Would absolutely love to see Gillermo Del Toro do a sequel to Hellboy. No really - I liked the second one. Maybe some backstory into how Johann Kraus got that way, and a revisit from the Death character where Liz really does experience the consequences of the deal she made. I would want to the entire movie to be like that "Toro-esque" scene with the Death character, and dial back the slapstick.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Sandler in my beloved Ghostbusters?

o thank you merciful God for not allowing that to happen
Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Master and Commander. I'm a big fan of the books, and I thought the movie captured the spirit pretty well. I'd love to see one with some of Stephen Maturin's spy stuff included.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy View Post
Ferris Beuller's Day Off From Work - Presidential Crises!
I forgot about Ferris Beuller. A sequel to that, adult or teen, could have been pretty good!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 PM

I'm very wary of suggesting sequels to movies I love because they so often suck, but if I had to pick one (other than the already mentioned Buckaroo Banzai) is would probably be Ronin, but only if the right director and writer(s) were involved, and both Robert De Niro and Jean Reno reprised their roles.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4life View Post
I was so disappointed they never had a sequel to Breakin'.
There was a Breakin 2
Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Since so many movies have sequels (and many of the sequels sucking) I thought it would be interesting to talk about movies that did not have a sequel but should have.

I'll start it off with my pick: Valley Girl.

If Julies friends gave her grief the first time she dated Randy, can you imagine the shitstorm they cause now that she's hooked up with him again? Especially since she helped ruin their prom to do it.

And I'd love to hear the conversation between her and Randy about how cold around the heart she was when she dumped him to go back with Tommy.

And speaking of Tommy; what was with that reservation at the Hollywood Sheraton? Did Tommy Boy think he was going to score? And seeing it was Julie and Randy that went instead, did Randy score?

Alright. Your turn.
Similarily, The Breakfast Club. What the hell happened next?
It was a Saturday so how did the rest of the weekend go? How was Monday morning when they all went back to school? Did Bender really spent 2 months of Saturday detentions? How's Carl doin'? LOL

Don't even get me started on Sixteen Candles or Fast Times at Ridgemont High!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio Tavulari View Post
Buckaroo Bonzai will return in Buckaroo Banzai Against The World Crime League
God, I remember that, I hassled the poor guy at the video store for years about a release date!

Here the end credits with that snazzy little musical number!

Sword and the Sorcerer (1982) also promised viewers to see the continuing adventures of Talon in Tales of an Ancient Empire. This "not really a sequel" was finally produced and released on DVD in January 2012.
The film ends with the promise of another sequel, Red Moon. Arrgg, will they never learn!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
The obligatory 'I wish that Highlander had a sequel.' post.
Damn you, you're not quickening matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I'm on board with The Warriors too. I always wondered if Swan really did just take off, or if stuck around Coney and led the boys in more bops.

Of course, I like to image the actors in other roles are playing out the sequel. So in my world, Swan went on to be a roller-skating pussy who fell in love with Olivia Newton-John, and after Ajax (real name: Ganz) got out of juvi, he moved to San Francisco to fuck with Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte.
That's hilarious!
Mercy, eloped with Ajax but after he beat her she moved back in with her father, Ted Knight and his gay roomate Monroe.

Luther also went the San Fran to fuck with Eddie and Nick until he was "let go" by the Governator!

Rembrandt dropped the nick for Ricardo and went on to lead The Bloodhound Gang.

D.J. goes on to become "The Chief" of the Gumshoes and swears vengeance on Carmen Sandiego and her rival gang V.I.L.E.

Vermin became a news anchor in Dutchess County, NY.

Cochise became a bit part actor.
Snow became a NY State Trooper and Cleon... actually went on to work for the New York Transit Authority!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 PM
See, I had a dog named Bubba
Charter Member

The Fifth Element
The Big Lebowski
O Brother Where Art Thou
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher3 View Post
Master and Commander. I'm a big fan of the books, and I thought the movie captured the spirit pretty well. I'd love to see one with some of Stephen Maturin's spy stuff included.
Precisely what I came in to post. I had heard that a sequel idea was being half-heartedly discussed, but that it had to do with Jack Aubrey's trial for stock-fixing. Bah! That would be the last storyline I'd choose for a movie.

Like you, I'd prefer to see espionage during the time of the Napoleonic wars.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM

I heard a rumor once that there was a Blues Brothers sequel floating around out there, but I've never seen any evidence of it.

Last edited by joebuck20; 11-30-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
The Fifth Element
I bet you already have a title in mind.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
There was a Breakin 2
FTR, that was a mild joke...obviously too mild.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
I heard a rumor once that there was a Blues Brothers sequel floating around out there, but I've never seen any evidence of it.

There was.

It sucked BIG time.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
It's on the same shelf as the alleged Heavy Metal sequel.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:

There was.
Whooooooooooooooosh.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 11-30-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Big Trouble in Little China - I have no idea what a sequel would have entailed, but Jack Burton was one of the most fun movie characters I've ever seen