The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Annie-Xmas Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 32,485
The Big Bang Theory 12/6--The Fish Guts Displacement

Howard and Bernadette have a tense dinner with both of her parents. The subject of Mr. Rostenkowski's weekend fishing trip comes up and Howard is hooked into going with him. Meanwhile, Sheldon reluctantly agrees to take care of a sick Amy the way his mother took care of him.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
alphaboi867 alphaboi867 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 11,335
The Sheldon/Amy plot should be fun.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Kimballkid Kimballkid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Especially if he decides to rub Vap-O-Rub on her chest.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM
notfrommensa notfrommensa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
From the previews I have seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Especially if he decides to rub Vap-O-Rub on her chest.
SPOILER:
As Sheldon is about to rub some Vicks on her chest, he says you "might feel some tingling" AFF says, with her mouth quivering "You can count on it"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM
standingwave standingwave is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Have we seen her mother before?

Her father, sure. One of my favorite lines:

Howard: I'm terrified about going into space. What if I don't make it back?
Mr. Rostenkowski: It's gonna be okay, son. (audience goes awww...)
Howard: You really think so?
Mr. Rostenkowski: Of course. A pretty girl like Bernadette? She'll find a new guy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM
johnpost johnpost is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
i sensed the spanking line coming.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
So the next episode needs to have the rest of the guys - Penny, especially - learning and reacting to the fact that Sheldon has now actually touched real live boobs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM
alphaboi867 alphaboi867 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 11,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
So the next episode needs to have the rest of the guys - Penny, especially - learning and reacting to the fact that Sheldon has now actually touched real live boobs.
Don't forget about Amy "needing help" in the bath; Bernadette was actually present for that conversation.

Last edited by alphaboi867; 12-06-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 PM
kunilou kunilou is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 17,838
If Amy and Sheldon ever engage in coitus I'm pretty sure Sheldon won't know it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Enright3 Enright3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,588
Hilarious episode. Make all of the shows feature Bernadette, Amy and Penny and I'll be a happy happy man.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Robot Arm Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Didn't see much of Bernadette's mom, but I thought she did a nice job of capturing Melissa Rauch's mannerisms for the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
i sensed the spanking line coming.
I was thinking it was possible, but it seemed a little out of character for Sheldon. I wonder if it would have worked better to have Amy suggest it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM
standingwave standingwave is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Mayim Bialik was hilarious in this episode.
__________________
I still have to put a cold rag on your head, sing to you and apply VapoRub to your chest.
Y-You want to rub something on my chest?
Yes. All over it.
Maybe we should start with that.
Now you're being a responsible patient. Now, you may notice some tingling.
Oh, I'm counting on it.
__________________
Are you prepared to receive your punishment?
One second. I want to put on some music.
Why?
I don't want to disturb the people next door while you discipline me.
Very well, then. Get over my knee. Let's begin.
Oh, my.
Excuse me. You're not supposed to be enjoying this.
Then maybe you should spank me harder.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 AM
AboutAsWeirdAsYouCanGet AboutAsWeirdAsYouCanGet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
I still have to put a cold rag on your head, sing to you and apply VapoRub to your chest.
Y-You want to rub something on my chest?
Yes. All over it.
Maybe we should start with that.
Now you're being a responsible patient. Now, you may notice some tingling.
Oh, I'm counting on it.
I was laughing so hard I was crying during this bit.........
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM
johnpost johnpost is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
i'm waiting for Sheldon to get sick. that will put those two over the top and with that vixen AFF in control will result in coitus.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 AM
well he's back well he's back is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I have been a "Big Bang Theory" fan & have laughed so many many times with this series. But I hate to see it veering into overtly overly sexual humor like the awful Two & a Half Men or Two Broke Girls. Ugh to the whole spanking idea. Creepy & disgusting. I will never watch this episode again, and may just drop the show. Yeah, I'm gonna be called a prude again, but I guess I don't care.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM
notfrommensa notfrommensa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
i'm waiting for Sheldon to get sick. that will put those two over the top and with that vixen AFF in control will result in coitus.
It won't be coitus....next.

They are going to milk {ahem} this for a several episodes.

And yes, this episode might get Mayim Bialik an Emmy for Best Supporting Actress.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
KneadToKnow KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
If Amy and Sheldon ever engage in coitus I'm pretty sure Sheldon won't know it.
Oh, I disagree. My girlfriend hit the nail on the head when she said, "When Amy and Sheldon finally do it, she is in for the ride of her life. Because if anybody will do the research on technique and be willing to experiment until he gets that shit right, it's Shelly."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM
elbows elbows is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 9,180
Quote:
Yeah, I'm gonna be called a prude again, but I guess I don't care
With respect, the reason people usually call another a prude, isn't because they see things differently or have a different attitude to something. It's because that person always feels the need to announce to everyone, (who did not ask!), why 'X' just won't do, and is not up to their high standards.

If they crossed a line for you don't tune in again. No one will think or call you a prude. However, if you announce your disdain, unsolicited at every opportunity they may, eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM
well he's back well he's back is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
thanks elbows - I realize that it's my own personal hangup & would not impose my standards on others. The writers obviously have a right to go where they want; I just won't follow.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM
KneadToKnow KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,113
This critic seems to be on your side, well he's back.

I won't stir up trouble by stating my opinion here, but I didn't want you to feel completely alone.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM
TV time TV time is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
For me this episode was kind of just, "blah". And I am not completely certain why. The scenes with Howard's in-laws were very sit-comish and they were OK, but little more than OK and could have come on any situation comedy.

The scenes with Sheldon and AFF seemed to me a bit forced and seemed inconsistent with who the characters were when established. Maybe characters need to "grow," but to me it seemed inconsistent none the less.

In fact, my favorite scenes in this show were the ones where Penny attempted to teach the guys how to gut a fish. I found the reversal of sexual roles fun and the portrayals entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
So the next episode needs to have the rest of the guys - Penny, especially - learning and reacting to the fact that Sheldon has now actually touched real live boobs.
Sheldon has touched real live boobs before - Penny's in fact. When she fell in the shower and hurt her elbow, and he had to help her get dressed & take her to the hospital.

"Is that my arm?"

"It doesn't feel like an arm."

"Then maybe you should let it go."

Scene here, jump to 3:50 in for the relevant parts.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 AM
notfrommensa notfrommensa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Wasn't there some mild inconsistencies with respect to earlier episodes?

For some reason, I thought Bernadette's mother was dead, and if not, I thought they lived on the East Coast, New Jersey maybe?

And didn't Penny get sick and started to wretch in Amy's lab in one episode on some of Amy's lab samples which IMO are lot tamer than gutting a fish.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Kimballkid Kimballkid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I think the big difference might be that Amy works on human parts and not animal parts. Also, wasn't Penny hungover or something at the time?

Last edited by Kimballkid; 12-07-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Oakminster Oakminster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Cleaning fish is consistent with Penny's "country girl" history. She's mentioned doing stuff with her dad, how he used to call her "Slugger", etc. Human lab samples are....different.

I didn't care for Penny's fish cleaning technique, holding the fish and cutting down towards her hand like that. Not the way I'd do it. Typically, first I'd scale the fish, then I'd lay it on a cutting board, cut the head off just behind the gills, slit the belly if needed, and scoop out the entrails. Or I might fillet the fish, which is a less messy method. Also would not do that inside an apartment. Fish cleaning is messy, and usually done outside...often at the dock after loading the boat.

Last edited by Oakminster; 12-07-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Kimballkid Kimballkid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Except it wasn't a fish caught fresh by one of them, it was one they bought in a market to use for demonstration.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM
muldoonthief muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 7,338
Except supermarket fish are always pre-gutted, aren't they? You've got to get the guts out quick, before they start to rot.

And Oakminster, note that she cleaned the fish in their apartment, not hers.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Mrs. Rostenkowski was played by Meagen Fay. I remember her best as Gretchen Mannkusser on 11 episodes of Malcolm in the Middle. (She and Kenneth Mars owned a dude ranch Francis worked on.) Interestingly, Casey Sander (Mr. Rostenkowski) also appeared on two episodes of MitM, one of which, "Christmas Trees", also had Meagen Fay, but with no scenes together I believe.

(Mr. Sanders biggest thing was playing Wade Swoboda on Grace Under Fire.)

I could see Sheldon being fooled into 1 of the three things (rubbing, bathing, spanking). Two is pushing it. Three is well beyond believability for his character. He also would know better than to do a throat culture for a virus.

Stuart "the regular" has apparently been forgotten about. While the grad assistant, Alex, has only been back once and is yet to cause trouble for Leonard. If she's going to have a story arc, it should be in more-or-less contiguous episodes. Tell-tell things like this that suggest the show is not having it's long term story arc plotted out very well. Of course Chuck Lorre &Co might have something else on their minds right now.

As to obtaining ungutted fish: We have local markets where you can buy live fish. I would assume those haven't been gutted yet!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Kimballkid Kimballkid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Casey Sander also played the head construction worker Rock on several episodes of 'Home Improvement'.

Another interesting tidbit about that, Mickey Jones, who played Pete the construction worker and played the 'drum set', was the drummer for Kenny Rogers and the First Edition.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Sheldon has touched real live boobs before - Penny's in fact. When she fell in the shower and hurt her elbow, and he had to help her get dressed & take her to the hospital.

"Is that my arm?"

"It doesn't feel like an arm."

"Then maybe you should let it go."

Scene here, jump to 3:50 in for the relevant parts.

Great scene! Hilarious!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Mean Mr. Mustard Mean Mr. Mustard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
And yes, this episode might get Mayim Bialik an Emmy for Best Supporting Actress.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I have never found the AFF character the slightest bit amusing, and IMO Balik's acting abilities, such as they are, are an embarrassment. Her chances of receiving an Emmy lie somewhere between the kid who plays Carl on The Walking Dead and the wooden immunity idol on Survivor.

I get nostalgic for the days when it was just the guys and Penny (although I do like Bernadette); I still watch the show because there are still such moments sprinkled within Amy's never ending quest to seek out opportunities to remind us how badly she Gotsta Get Her Some. She plays one note, and she plays it badly.

But as I said, there are still great laughs to be had in every episode. The fish gutting scene, while unrealistic, was still pretty entertaining. Raj's courteous explanation about the jeebie-jeebies was hilarious. And Leonard's squirming in the presence of his father-in-law drew our empathy while keeping the funny.

My intent is not to drop crap unto the thread; I hope it does not come across as such. I just don't understand the adulation for what I consider to be one of the worst character additions to a major program since cousin Oliver set his suitcase down in casa Brady.


mmm
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM
alphaboi867 alphaboi867 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 11,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
...I could see Sheldon being fooled into 1 of the three things (rubbing, bathing, spanking). Two is pushing it. Three is well beyond believability for his character...
To be fair Amy actually did need the vaporub (at least the 1st time). The only thing I really had trouble beliving was the spanking. That was really out of character for Sheldon to suggest, but it was still funny & not out of character for Amy to find it arousing.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
To be fair Amy actually did need the vaporub (at least the 1st time). The only thing I really had trouble beliving was the spanking. That was really out of character for Sheldon to suggest, but it was still funny & not out of character for Amy to find it arousing.

That's my assessment, as well. Amusing situation, but just not something I picture Sheldon coming up with!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM
jackdavinci jackdavinci is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
WRT prudity, I wonder if we are watching the same show. The title is a sex pun and pretty much the whole premise is the love and sex lives of the characters.

WRT to spanking, Sheldon is from Texas. I lived there for only half a year and easily would have independently listed one of their top attributes as obsession with spanking.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Kimballkid Kimballkid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
And Leonard's squirming in the presence of his father-in-law drew our empathy while keeping the funny.
That was Howard.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 PM
johnpost johnpost is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
And Leonard's squirming in the presence of his father-in-law drew our empathy while keeping the funny.

mmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
That was Howard.
those nerds all look alike with their propellers, sliderules and all.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM
well he's back well he's back is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
yeah we're watching the same show, jackdavinci. I do understand the title and I can handle the coitus jokes and the masturbation jokes. It's the spanking that bothered me. I won't go into why it does. but it does. to assume that most women like to be "disciplined' by men is just repellent. Has no place in a comedy. I don't find handcuffs or any sort of bondage funny. But that's just me. As I said before, the show can go whatever direction it wants. I don't have to follow

Mean Mr. Mustard - I think Amy is a love-her or hate-her character. But Mayim Bialik comes across on talk show appearances and such very differently. I think she does a good job of acting the part. I thought her response to the tiara last year was her best moment.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM
YogSosoth YogSosoth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Except supermarket fish are always pre-gutted, aren't they? You've got to get the guts out quick, before they start to rot.
Not if you get it from an Asian market
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Oakminster Oakminster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by well he's back View Post
to assume that most women like to be "disciplined' by men is just repellent.
Amy is generally not in the same zip code as "most women" on any given subject. Pretty much any sort of intimate contact with Shelton seems to get her motor running.

Last edited by Oakminster; 12-07-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Amy is generally not in the same zip code as "most women" on any given subject. Pretty much any sort of intimate contact with Shelton seems to get her motor running.


So true...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
The Controvert The Controvert is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
I'm really glad the writers didn't make Howard into a gambling savant. It's way too easy to fall into the trope of nerd + casino = easy win. Obviously that's not true IRL, so I'm glad they steered clear.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM
standingwave standingwave is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Controvert View Post
I'm really glad the writers didn't make Howard into a gambling savant. It's way too easy to fall into the trope of nerd + casino = easy win. Obviously that's not true IRL, so I'm glad they steered clear.
As soon as Howard said he was not a stranger to dice games, I expected him to bring up his experience rolling twenty-sided dice in D&D (provoking some kind of good grief response from the FIL) but Yahtzee was funny too.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Sheldon has touched real live boobs before - Penny's in fact. When she fell in the shower and hurt her elbow, and he had to help her get dressed & take her to the hospital.

"Is that my arm?"

"It doesn't feel like an arm."

"Then maybe you should let it go."

Scene here, jump to 3:50 in for the relevant parts.
Oh, I remembered that episode - Penny's expression was priceless. But that was incidental, even accidental boobage; there was no sexual subtext.

Rubbing Vick's Vap-O-Rub all over AFF's hooters is a different ballgame altogether. That has a big honkin' sexual subtext that would be immediately obvious to everyone. Except, of course, Sheldon.

What I found a little out-of-character was Sheldon's response to Amy's illness. He' s a misophobe - I expected him to take one look at her red nose and watery eyes, and flee like a Baptist at a Pride parade.

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 12-07-2012 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: "hooters" is a funny word.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Morbo Morbo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 9,142
I was a little disappointed that the Father-in-law told Howard that his wife made him go - that was perfectly obvious from her stare at the dinner table and felt like it lessened the earlier scene. However, it did lead to the great line "You're an Astronaut and your wife makes you do things, and she's only four feet tall!"
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
gytalf2000 gytalf2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I was a little disappointed that the Father-in-law told Howard that his wife made him go - that was perfectly obvious from her stare at the dinner table and felt like it lessened the earlier scene. However, it did lead to the great line "You're an Astronaut and your wife makes you do things, and she's only four feet tall!"


Yeah, that was a great line!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 PM
standingwave standingwave is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
What I found a little out-of-character was Sheldon's response to Amy's illness. He' s a misophobe - I expected him to take one look at her red nose and watery eyes, and flee like a Baptist at a Pride parade.
I agree. But he made a commitment in writing and the relationship agreement is sacred. It might have been a nice touch had they had him in surgical mask/gloves and spraying Lysol everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Gangster Octopus Gangster Octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
I found it hard to believe the Howard, Raj and Leonard were so squicked out by a fish getting gutted.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
I agree. But he made a commitment in writing and the relationship agreement is sacred. It might have been a nice touch had they had him in surgical mask/gloves and spraying Lysol everywhere.
Ooh, yeah! Good call. That would have been funny and perfectly in character.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:52 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
I found it hard to believe the Howard, Raj and Leonard were so squicked out by a fish getting gutted.
Leonard faints at the sight of blood.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
jackdavinci jackdavinci is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Did they ever address why Amy changed her tune? Originally she tried holding Sheldon's hand and declared that they had no chemistry. But now she gets ridiculously hot and bothered by him.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.