Official Mayan End of the World Thread. Midnight tonight. Post your observations.

Tonight, as the calendar rolls over to 12/21/2012, we should all post here describing the end of the world as it happens around us. Make sure to charge up your laptops or UPS batteries.

One question. Will destruction roll across the planet according to the time zones, or will it occur everywhere at midnight, Mayan time? What time zone were the Mayans in at the time they [del]created those calendars[/del] made the prediction?

That’s great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and
snakes, an aeroplane and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

(hey - someone had to say it)

Is New Zealand still there? It’s 12/21 there now. They should be about 8 hours into the apocalypse by now.

Any Kiwi dopers left?

We know now that in the early years of the twenty-first century this world was being watched closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own. We know now that as human beings busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinized and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a scientist with a microscope might scrutinize the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacence, people went to and fro over the earth about their little affairs, serene in the assurance of their dominion over this small spinning fragment of solar driftwood which, by chance or design, humanity has inherited out of the dark mystery of Time and Space.

Yet, across an immense ethereal gulf, minds that, to our minds as ours are to the beasts in the jungle–intellects vast, cool and unsympathetic–regarded this earth with envious eyes and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. In the twelfth year of the third millenium came the great disillusionment.

It was the third week of December. Business was better. The president had said the wars would soon be winding down. More people were back at work. Home sales were picking up. On this particular evening, December 20th, Nielsen’s Total Internet Audience metric estimated that one hundred and thirty-two million people were on-line in the USA, Tweeting, updating the FaceBook statuses, uploading pix of their dinners to Instagram and IMing links to cat videos on YouTube to their friends.

The top trending topic on Twitter was,
#ElMundoNoSeAcabaHastaQueYo (“The World Doesn’t End Until I”)

Jimmy Buffett has some thoughts:

*To the party at the end of the world (end of the world)
Where the locals do that tango twirl (tango twirl)
I don’t care about “the Rapture”
When there’s native girls to capture
There’s a party at the end of the world

Who cares if there’s no playa
We’ll be rocking in Ushuaia
At the party at the end
You surely must attend
The party at the end of the world*

-“Party At the End of the World”

They say this universe is bound to blow
But I say we crank up the calypso control
Apocalyp, apocalyp, apocalypso

Now I’m no dancer as dancers go
But this is one step that you need to know
Apocalyp, apocalyp, apocalypso
We’ll be dancing when we go*

-“Apocalypso”

So do we all die at the beginning of the 21st… or the end? I’ve really got to figure out how to plan my day. Right now I’ve got a haircut scheduled at 2pm tomorrow and should probably let them know if I won’t be there due to the end of the world, but then again if it isn’t until the end of the day I really need that haircut.

This is really inconvenient. I wish they were doing a better job of communicating about this.

So, no word from Kiwi Dopers? That cinches it. Goodbye all. :slight_smile:

Leonard Bernstein, Leonard Bernstein

Solstice is at 11:12 UTC, or 6:12 AM EST.

Good thing I took tomorrow off for impending snowmageddon.
ETA: I wonder if Google will have cool graphic in honour of the end of the world tomorrow?

I’ve emailed my family but had no reply…

I think that’s probably the answer. So we can get a good night’s sleep, wake up at 6 and be at our keyboards by 6:12 AM, at least those of us on the east coast.

I hope I don’t get stuck on the ceiling again like with that rapture thingy; but I don’t think the Mayan end of the world works like that.

I know it sucks but, you know, its not the end of the world.

I found this report on tumblr a while ago:

Aussie Update: An hour and a quarter to the beginning of 21st December:
[ul]
[li]The sky has gone pitch black. Like night or something[/li][li]People appear drained of energy, seem to be falling into a deep slumber as time goes on[/li][li]TV show quality seems to be deteriorating, not the same as it was an hour or so ago in prime time[/li][li]Streets are fairly empty, seems people have gone to their ‘houses’ for the ‘evening’[/ul][/li]Very suspicious. More to come.

Link, please? Thanks!

Dunno whose OC it is but here.

Yeah … we need to get this straight. Tonight at midnight, I’m pretty sure I’ll be sleeping. Tomorrow at midnight I’m pretty sure I’m going to be lit up like a Christmas tree – a much better state-of-mind for end-of-the-world type festivities.

Well, you know what they say. Friday we drink for the apocalypse. Saturday we drink for surviving. Sunday we drink for the hangover and Monday we drink for Christmas.

I will not feel fine tomorrow?

I plan to party like it’s 1999!