Anyone else hiding from Xmas carolers?

I just retreated into a back room with the laptop when I heard carolers in the neighborhood.

Man, I’m tempted to go to shul tomorrow night if that can get me away from these enthusiastic Christians for a while. (Not that I’m Jewish, just irritable.)

Then I start wondering if in some demented form of interfaith activity, they might show up* there.*

Sad thing is, I used to like Xmas carols–but I was more religious then.

(Also I think it is more fun to be the caroling than the* carolee*–or caroled at, whatever.)

My mother didn’t want Carolers the year she was getting Chemo Treatments. She wanted to do the caroling.

I, as a healthy person sitting in my mother’s hospital room, thought it was kinda fun to be sung to for a change.

(For the record, Mom’s fine now. And has gone on to do more Caroling.)

I can’t say I’ve been exposed to overly friendly carolers.

Nobody goes around neighborhoods caroling here. We do have them in the hospital I work in.
I’m not sure what experiences you’ve had, but I certainly would not assume that carolers were particularly religious just because they’re singing Christmas carols. Tons of people out there just like Christmas. Funnily enough, my atheist fiance celebrates Christmas a lot more now that he’s on his own than when he used to live with his religious family (they’re Jehovah’s witnesses)

I don’t identify as Christian, but love singing carols. I’d totally go with a group if I knew of one.

I’ve never once seen them randomly in my suburban neighborhood, and when we were kids the only places we ever caroled were nursing homes or hospitals and such.

I didn’t know caroling was a thing people actually did.

In my neighbourhood in the UK a local group decorate a trailer like a single x-mas themed parade float with loudspeakers playing x-mas music. They drive it slowly thru the streets blaring crap music while people on foot go door-to-door collecting for some church charity. They can fuck right off.

Don’t let them drive you crazy like this guy.

I have never *ever *seen a roving band of carolers in any of the neighborhoods I’ve lived in. People actually do this? Not just on TV?

I think they may have a list of houses they expect to be grateful, rather than going to every house. At least, that’s how my church did it when I was a kid.

I just wasn’t taking chances. Also, noisy. I could hear this bunch from three doors down.

I have witnessed this twice.

At my Mom’s house in a nice neighborhood in North San Diego County. I think that they really were going door to door. I was leaving her place and I happened upon them walking up her driveway. I’m not a fan of the whole Xmas thing but I stood their politely while they sang a song to my girlfriend and me.

The second time was in my nice neighborhood in Santa Barbara several years ago. I saw them when I was walking my dog. They were in the back of a big flatbed truck and would stop and belt one out every block or so. After they were done they would call out to the people who were watching to hop on and join them.

Unless I am expecting someone, I don’t answer my door so I am not likely to have to deal with it.

Yes, and one group was even in Victorian garb… the men had top hats and the women had fur hand muffs. And they were really good… I think they may have done it before.

Down here at Fridgemagnet’s house (he’s near the south coast) we get shite carolers who gabble out maybe a line or mutter a few words, and then stand there with their hands held out for the money. He’ll shove a handful of change at them to ward them off; I’m busy trying to work open the upstairs window which overlooks the front step a la Addams Family.

The non-denominational church opposite has begun having youth night/chav night (depending on your point of view) every Friday, and now we get youff milling around the gardens screaming, throwing rubbish, and jumping on cars. However, in response to their xmas present from the church (the same cookbook that the church pushed through everyone’s letterbox with a cough suggestion for a 10 GBP donation), last night’s wild bunch were furious, screaming, ‘Sods to yer cook book, arseholes!’

Beats the eleventy-billionth crap rendition of Good King Wencelas.

The only times in my life I have seen carolers were professional stagings. The city wants to feel festive, so they hire a group to walk around downtown while people shop.

Le sigh. It’s years since I’ve either sung street carols or received carollers. :frowning:

Still, I’ve been to two carols-by-candlelight services this year, neither of the churches has mains electricity tho’ one must’ve had either a portable generator or some big-ass batteries. That one has a hand-pumped pipe organ which I play every other Sunday, the other doesn’t even have that so I took my trumpet. Good stuff.

I’m 45. It has to be 40 years since I’ve seen carolers.

Caroling is just an excuse to sing and share the holiday spirit. I don’t consider it a religious activity. In fact, I’m an atheist and I went caroling last week with my wife and a couple of people from my chorus. We had a lot of fun.

Definitely. But you should join in the fun by singing with them when they come to your door.

We get the flatbed and loudspeakers. If they are singing I cannot tell because the music is loud enough to shake my concrete floors.

One came past on the 20th which is a bit early. Usually there are two or three. And they come by late, as late as midnight. It is usually late enough to wake me up.

At least they don’t knock on doors begging money.

Alas my fear was realized as they came booming past at 11:59pm last night, jarring me from my bed and shaking the walls.

I am thinking of setting up lawn sprinklers and aiming them towards the road in the just to encourage them not to stop in front of my house.

I did caroling when I was a kid but I have never seen it in my adolescent or adult life. What days are they typically done? Weeknights? Weekends? How early before Christmas day? All of December? Right after Thanksgiving?

Fortunately, we don’t have them.

If they came up on my lawn and started singing carols, I’d turn the sprinklers on.