The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Anyone else hiding from Xmas carolers?

I just retreated into a back room with the laptop when I heard carolers in the neighborhood.

Man, I'm tempted to go to shul tomorrow night if that can get me away from these enthusiastic Christians for a while. (Not that I'm Jewish, just irritable.)

Then I start wondering if in some demented form of interfaith activity, they might show up there.

Sad thing is, I used to like Xmas carols--but I was more religious then.

(Also I think it is more fun to be the caroling than the carolee--or caroled at, whatever.)

Last edited by foolsguinea; 12-20-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

My mother didn't want Carolers the year she was getting Chemo Treatments. She wanted to do the caroling.

I, as a healthy person sitting in my mother's hospital room, thought it was kinda fun to be sung to for a change.

(For the record, Mom's fine now. And has gone on to do more Caroling.)

I can't say I've been exposed to overly friendly carolers.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 PM

Nobody goes around neighborhoods caroling here. We do have them in the hospital I work in.
I'm not sure what experiences you've had, but I certainly would not assume that carolers were particularly religious just because they're singing Christmas carols. Tons of people out there just like Christmas. Funnily enough, my atheist fiance celebrates Christmas a lot more now that he's on his own than when he used to live with his religious family (they're Jehovah's witnesses)

Last edited by lavenderviolet; 12-20-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 AM

I don't identify as Christian, but love singing carols. I'd totally go with a group if I knew of one.

I've never once seen them randomly in my suburban neighborhood, and when we were kids the only places we ever caroled were nursing homes or hospitals and such.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 AM

I didn't know caroling was a thing people actually did.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 AM

In my neighbourhood in the UK a local group decorate a trailer like a single x-mas themed parade float with loudspeakers playing x-mas music. They drive it slowly thru the streets blaring crap music while people on foot go door-to-door collecting for some church charity. They can fuck right off.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM

Don't let them drive you crazy like this guy.

Last edited by furdmort; 12-21-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I have never ever seen a roving band of carolers in any of the neighborhoods I've lived in. People actually do this? Not just on TV?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I think they may have a list of houses they expect to be grateful, rather than going to every house. At least, that's how my church did it when I was a kid.

I just wasn't taking chances. Also, noisy. I could hear this bunch from three doors down.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I have witnessed this twice.

At my Mom's house in a nice neighborhood in North San Diego County. I think that they really were going door to door. I was leaving her place and I happened upon them walking up her driveway. I'm not a fan of the whole Xmas thing but I stood their politely while they sang a song to my girlfriend and me.

The second time was in my nice neighborhood in Santa Barbara several years ago. I saw them when I was walking my dog. They were in the back of a big flatbed truck and would stop and belt one out every block or so. After they were done they would call out to the people who were watching to hop on and join them.

Unless I am expecting someone, I don't answer my door so I am not likely to have to deal with it.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
I have never ever seen a roving band of carolers in any of the neighborhoods I've lived in. People actually do this? Not just on TV?
Yes, and one group was even in Victorian garb... the men had top hats and the women had fur hand muffs. And they were really good... I think they may have done it before.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferr View Post
In my neighbourhood in the UK a local group decorate a trailer like a single x-mas themed parade float with loudspeakers playing x-mas music. They drive it slowly thru the streets blaring crap music while people on foot go door-to-door collecting for some church charity. They can fuck right off.
Down here at Fridgemagnet's house (he's near the south coast) we get shite carolers who gabble out maybe a line or mutter a few words, and then stand there with their hands held out for the money. He'll shove a handful of change at them to ward them off; I'm busy trying to work open the upstairs window which overlooks the front step a la Addams Family.

The non-denominational church opposite has begun having youth night/chav night (depending on your point of view) every Friday, and now we get youff milling around the gardens screaming, throwing rubbish, and jumping on cars. However, in response to their xmas present from the church (the same cookbook that the church pushed through everyone's letterbox with a *cough* suggestion for a 10 GBP donation), last night's wild bunch were furious, screaming, 'Sods to yer cook book, arseholes!'

Beats the eleventy-billionth crap rendition of Good King Wencelas.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM

The only times in my life I have seen carolers were professional stagings. The city wants to feel festive, so they hire a group to walk around downtown while people shop.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Le sigh. It's years since I've either sung street carols or received carollers.

Still, I've been to two carols-by-candlelight services this year, neither of the churches has mains electricity tho' one must've had either a portable generator or some big-ass batteries. That one has a hand-pumped pipe organ which I play every other Sunday, the other doesn't even have that so I took my trumpet. Good stuff.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 AM

I'm 45. It has to be 40 years since I've seen carolers.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Man, I'm tempted to go to shul tomorrow night if that can get me away from these enthusiastic Christians for a while.
Caroling is just an excuse to sing and share the holiday spirit. I don't consider it a religious activity. In fact, I'm an atheist and I went caroling last week with my wife and a couple of people from my chorus. We had a lot of fun.

Quote:
(Also I think it is more fun to be the caroling than the carolee--or caroled at, whatever.)
Definitely. But you should join in the fun by singing with them when they come to your door.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferr View Post
We get the flatbed and loudspeakers. If they are singing I cannot tell because the music is loud enough to shake my concrete floors.

One came past on the 20th which is a bit early. Usually there are two or three. And they come by late, as late as midnight. It is usually late enough to wake me up.

At least they don't knock on doors begging money.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:04 AM

Alas my fear was realized as they came booming past at 11:59pm last night, jarring me from my bed and shaking the walls.

I am thinking of setting up lawn sprinklers and aiming them towards the road in the just to encourage them not to stop in front of my house.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:13 AM

I did caroling when I was a kid but I have never seen it in my adolescent or adult life. What days are they typically done? Weeknights? Weekends? How early before Christmas day? All of December? Right after Thanksgiving?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Fortunately, we don't have them.

If they came up on my lawn and started singing carols, I'd turn the sprinklers on.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I think this is the best solution.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
I think this is the best solution.
Pssst. Post #12.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nametag View Post
Pssst. Post #12.
Too right

Aside from the screaming cookbook kids at the church opposite on Friday, this street has been quiet -- you get the choirs and brass bands in the high street and town centres (there were a small ensemble of high-school-aged kids playing at the Marks and Spencers on Saturday, and as usual Southampton had a brass band down at West Quays.)

People here along the streets nearby starting putting up lights after Fireworks night. It's been terribly rainy though which is probably keeping all but the most diehard inside.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nametag View Post
Pssst. Post #12.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Bands of carolers roved the desolate earth looking for prey.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:06 PM

The only time we ever went caroling was as part of a church group.

Now I'm like the Blink 182 guy, I don't like Christmas music.

1. Many are religious themed. They irritate me. Some people can separate the lyrics/message from the "spirit of christmas" or whatever. Not me. The words get stuck in my head, and then I've got religious messages bouncing around in my skull. GET IT OUT!

2. Most are done in "traditional style", which is bad enough. Then you get the dreadful crooners and jazzy versions that sound atrocious. Please, no.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM

We get carolers from one of the many local Lutheran churches. They aren't half bad - and they leave behind greetings tied around a bundle of candy canes. But....

Dang it! They always come singing and ringing the doorbell when I'm on the phone. Last year, it was a friend in CA. This year, it was a friend in India. I'm not hanging up the phone to listen to carolers. But because my lights are on, they keep ringing the doorbell. What's with that bit of irritation? I'm trying to listen to my friend's mother.

Next year, I'm going to put a lighted sign that says "Don't ring the doorbell or I'll come into your Christmas service singing Jingle Bells, Batman Smells at the top of my lungs."
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 PM

christmas carolers?

I got caught by them twice this month. They showed up when I had guests over and proceeded to sing. Then they asked for donations. They didn't seem like nice carolers...bunch of teenagers. At least 5 or 6 of them. It was too late because everyone saw them and I couldn't just slam the door in their faces during this festive season. I really felt they were being disruptive. They showe up after 9:00pm at night. I felt very uncomfortable. They got their money and left.

Just today, December 31st, they showed up again at about 8:00pm. I got caught by surprise AGAIN. This time, there were only two of them. They said they were singing carols. It seemed like those two forgot who I was. I think they knew but wanted money. I told them it was too cold and drafty and some other time. They had the nerve to ask for "just a donation". So, my husband was looking for some change and so I asked them to sing...what the heck. They sang their song...got their money and left. They have an attitude like they are entitled to it. It hit me later...why are they singing carols when christmas is over? learned my lesson. These are not genuine carolers.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita83 View Post
It hit me later...why are they singing carols when christmas is over? learned my lesson. These are not genuine carolers.
Christmas isn't over. Not until January 8. It is the 7th day of Christmas today. (Don't let the retailers convince you that the 12 days of Savings are the 12 Days of Christmas). In the Middle Ages, carolers who were often tenant farmers and farm hands would show up during the 12 days.

Not a complete explanation but here's the obligatory Wikipedia link.

What's with the donations thing though? I've never been asked for donations by carolers. When I was growing up, we would greet carolers with Christmas treats such as spritz cookies and hot chocolate (not as potent as wassail) and it considered an expected part of the festivities in that neighborhood.

When we moved, Mom expected to hand out treats to the new bunch of carolers but they looked at us like we were weird. I remember it clearly though I was only about 7 or 8 years old..
Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita83 View Post
These are not genuine carolers.
What's a "genuine" caroler? They came by, they sang. Sounds genuine to me. Never heard of donations before, though. I always though caroling was about sharing Christmas cheer and the baby Jesus, not getting money. Maybe I just don't remember.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like it's a UK vs. USA thing.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 PM

I've never had carolers or known anyone who has in my life. Until reading this thread I assumed that it was either 1) one of those quaint things that people did a hundred years ago, like ride in one horse open sleighs or roast chestnuts on open fires, or 2) that carolers only go to the houses of people they know and love (or hate), because going to strangers houses, inflicting your singing on them, and THEN asking them for money sounds like something that only the most aggressive panhandlers would do.

Do carolers really demand money from their victims? How much? What happens if they don't comply? Do the carolers TP the house, refuse to stop singing, pee on your Christmas decorations or what? Has anyone in this thread called the police on carolers and what was the result?