Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 AM

The Dog Watch MMP

Well Mumpers I am starting my first MMP

I tend to stay up late so I am asking you all to tell your late night stories. So kiddos what have you done late at night? Did you ever TP a house? Did you ever sneak out your parents car? Did you go to your SO's house and have sex while their parents were asleep? What did you do? I know we were all bad once or twice or threetimes fessup. There will be chocolate

Jim

Last edited by Capt Kirk; 01-07-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Caint speel
Old 01-07-2013, 01:16 AM

Man, I was a horrible teenager. I snuck out, snuck in, had sex in crazy places, tp-d a state troopers house, broke my nose while running through a park and made up an incredible story about falling up the stairs while sleep walking to explain it. But probably the wildest thing I was dumb enough to do was get caught be the police three counties from home when I hadn't exactly told my parents where I was going for three days before those police men found me at a party with lots of other underage drinkers.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I was such a goody-goody, I never did anything - really. Plus I've always been a morning person, so come 9 or so, I've always been ready to crash.

At my first non-training command in the Navy, I worked the mid shift for a year - 11-7. I think the wildest thing I did at that time was when we went to a hockey game before work, yelled ourselves hoarse, then tried to be competent technicians that night.

Like I said, goody-goody.

But now I'm bad. I'm posting at work! Does that get me come chocolate??

Happy Monday!!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

I never snuck out. i was a boring kid.

up, caffeinated, off to irk.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 AM

Another goody-two-shoes chiming in....

Just one question though: Why does a dog need a watch?!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffienatin' *YAWN* 'Tis 37 Amurrkin out with a predicted high of 59 and sunny. 'Nother Winter's day is south Jawja.

I'll bbl with a tale or two of misspent youth. Right now I need more caffiene, need to feed rumbly tummy and alas, need to purtify for irk.

Happy Monday Y'all!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 AM

I'm up too early.
The dog woke me up and the my friend who works nights called me and we had a good bitch fest about house guests from hell. She's got one too.

Late night stories huh?

I delivered newspapers for a few years so there for a while all my stories from that time would be late night. The things people don't know that go on in their neighborhoods at night! Some of the customers thought they lived in safe neighborhoods, if they only knew.

OH! You want to know when I was bad late at night?

A few timed I did sneak into my ex SO's house late at night for a little lovin'. We were both adults but it was his mother's house, he had moved back to help take care of his invalid father. His bedroom was in the basement so I'd sneak in the basement door. One time I fell asleep and his mother caught me there when she came down with a load of laundry, luckily I was sitting in the chair. She chewed my ass out but good after I woke up, not for spending the night, but for sleeping in the chair. That's bad for your neck you know, next time I was to come upstairs and sleep on the couch.
I loved his mother, she was one of the biggest bitches you'd ever meet but she was also one of the best people I ever knew.

There's another time when I don't know how I didn't get hurt.
I had a crazy ex-bf who cut my phone lines and broke into my house one night. I got away from him, jumped out the window and walked in nothing but a t-shirt and underwear to my friend's house to call the police. I walked 10 blocks through a pretty rough area. I must have been a sight because all I can remember is everybody (drunks, drug dealers and prostitutes, and whoever else is out hanging on the streets at 3am) getting out of my way and trying to avoid stepping on the broken bottles and needles. I don't know how I got through there safely.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I got out of the house a couple of times, but did nothing more than go for a walk because I couldn't sleep.

Whenever we went TPing, it was a social event and my mother was in on it.

Oh, lest I forget, blurf.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 AM

Most of my nocturnal activities involved going to see dodgy bands in equally dodgy clubs, the kind of places you wouldn't tell your mother you were going to because of their reputations.

I expect by the time I left home, I'd got a reputation to match! Now I still go to see dodgy bands but the venues are slightly more salubrious.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Jim thanks for startin' us off this week. Meant to say that earlier.

Misspent youth... where do I begin! Let's see, at the tender age of fifteen drivin' my 14 year old cousin and myself to a beer joint on the other side of the county because we knew my uncle (his father) never went there. Yep, drove good ol' unc's old farm truck to the north end of Heard County, Jawja, well, actually just over the county line to Carroll County to have, get this, a beer and then high tailin' it back to the farm before my aunt and uncle (his 'rents) got back from goin' out to eat. Bein' sixteen but lookin' older and nobody checked ids anyway, I'd make liquor runs two counties over from Ye Olde Hometowne because that was the closest place to by liquor, well, legal liquor. Also, bein' told not to set foot in the really notorious beer joint in Ye Olde Hometowne, which I heard as, "be sure and go there, get drunk and smoke funny stuff out back behind the place" while "spendin' the night" at a friend's folk's fishin' cabin. Lots of wild times at said fishin' cabin, where, at least, none of us were out drivin' and carousin' around. We did our carousin' there. College and stayin' out all night partayin' and yet somehow goin' to classes the next mornin' two to three times a week and yet graduated magna cum laude. How'd that happen! Oh and also manage to go to irk after classes.

There are many more examples of my misspent cubhood but well, y'all get the general idea.

Last edited by swampbear; 01-07-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Mornin'

As a teen ager I didnt do much of anything. But when I first started working. I had a job at a bank working 2nd shift. Everyonce in a great while, I would sneak my then boyfriend into the building and we would "christen" a random exectutives desk. I look back at that now and shudder with embaressment. I also at that job with another co-worker would go down to Chili's, a half mile down the road, and have a couple of big margheritas and then go back to work. No heavy machinery was operated during that time. Just big mainframe computers. My exciting late night escapades ended when that bank closed. Whew.

My downstairs guest bathroom commode is leaking around the seal (we think) water is seaping in from somewhere but not the valves. Several tiles have become loose and movable. We were planning on replacing them not any time soon but now.......Arrrrgh! I have a really bad feeling that this is going to be the start of the year of replacing stuff that we hadn't planned on. Damn it!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone Special View Post
Another goody-two-shoes chiming in....

I used to go walk in the snow as it fell late at night. The dark, but luminescent quality of the snow was magic.

Other than that... Goody two shoes checking in!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxster View Post
My downstairs guest bathroom commode is leaking around the seal (we think) water is seaping in from somewhere but not the valves. Several tiles have become loose and movable. We were planning on replacing them not any time soon but now.......Arrrrgh! I have a really bad feeling that this is going to be the start of the year of replacing stuff that we hadn't planned on. Damn it!
Check the seal between the tank and the seat. If the tank rocks, I guarantee it's leaking water. Second choice is the fill tube, either the seal for the tank inlet, or the compression fittings, or the valve itself.

Coming from the guy who put a new floor in his old bathroom because his tank leaked.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 AM

I snuck out a couple of times to walk around in the fields around House I Grew Up In. I had weird insomnia for a couple of years in my early teens.

Heading out in about an hour or so to pull Sit With Dad duty. Last time I saw him he had two legs. Older Sister emailed me last night freaking out about how we're going to pay for all this. I told her to ask her pastor, his pastor, and social services about any helpful resources available. That's what they're for. Me, I'm not freaking out because a) I'm already po' and b) there's nothing we can do but keep on keeping on. I've actively detached my worry about this whole situation because it really is out of all our hands right now. Also, I'm the only living member of my family who's been through what my dad's going through right now, i.e. a sudden medical emergency that changes your entire life irrevocably. All you can do is keep moving forward.

Hmm...perhaps I should remind Older Sister of that.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Another goody two shoes, only because my brothers were so bad that I figured I had to be good. College was another story though, maybe for another thread.

I cannot read a few items on my to-do list. I guess that means I don't have to do them.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

The naval (that means ships, Swampy) dog watches, at the risk of having told this joke before, and shorter than regular watches. It is done so to make the watches a guy stands break up the routine.

Why are they called dog watches?
Because they are curtailed.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Check the seal between the tank and the seat. If the tank rocks, I guarantee it's leaking water. Second choice is the fill tube, either the seal for the tank inlet, or the compression fittings, or the valve itself.

Coming from the guy who put a new floor in his old bathroom because his tank leaked.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 AM

Dog Watch(Delta Watch) is the late shift in US Military parlance, or at least for a buddy of mine that was an MP in Germany during the 70's. He would make Dog Watch Coffee, strong with a pinch of Kosher Salt.

Let me get some more coffee in me and I will tell you tales of late night shenanigans and my mis-spent youth.

Happy Monday all

Jim
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

We were having toilet escapades yesterday as well. The house sewer got blocked, and the plumber had to remove the downstairs toilet as that was the only known large diameter access to the sewer. Slab foundation, pipes entombed in concrete and no visible clean out access...GRR!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

It must be Monday. I just found out that everything I've done in the last 4.5 hours is invalid. They're changing the design again - after FCD spent 12 hours this weekend re-redesigning everything, it looks like he'll have to re-re-redesign. So I'm going back to my old project and do the easy stuff till he figures out what's going one.

Needless to say, I am very stabby.

At least the counter guys are at the house doing their templating...
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Well Mumpers I am starting my first MMP

I tend to stay up late so I am asking you all to tell your late night stories. So kiddos what have you done late at night? Did you ever TP a house? Did you ever sneak out your parents car? Did you go to your SO's house and have sex while their parents were asleep? What did you do? I know we were all bad once or twice or threetimes fessup. There will be chocolate

Jim
All of the above plus some things I can't mention on the advice of counsel. Hey, look -- ya pop for a retainer, ya duzz what your mouthpiece sez! After all, its hard to say what the statute of limitations is on igniting 10 gallons of flight fuel in an outhouse at 3am or having sex across the hood of a police car with the cop asleep inside. Although something like that could be jurisdictional ---- PA no big deal, Alabama it gets you the chair.

I was a rotten kid in some respects. I never did anything my Dad told me not to ------- but I kept coming up with things he never dreamed of. Later when I was in my thirties, he and I were sitting and talking when I started to laugh a little. He asked what that was all about and I said "You know, sitting here right now, I could probably tell you where each and every gray hair you have came from". He allowed as how one or three could be my brothers fault but I probably was close.

Also made it interesting when I was teaching; my poor classes couldn't get away with anything. They would keep coming up with new and interesting places to stash some beer or weed or try to get lucky and I would keep busting them. One kid finally accused another of being my fink and I had to set him straight. "Dude, if juvie records weren't sealed I could tell you things ---------- but look at it this way. Between my hair (it was over my shoulders), beard and Harley do you really and truly think I need a rat to outguess you?"
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM
ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
The naval (that means ships, Swampy) dog watches, at the risk of having told this joke before, and shorter than regular watches. It is done so to make the watches a guy stands break up the routine.

Why are they called dog watches?
Because they are curtailed.
Glad someone else reads Patrick O'Brian.

Late night stuff for me - lots of work related overnights, from run of the mill fires & crimes up to big events. About the craziest overnight was the capture of the DC snipers, I was the first TV news shooter on the mountain while police were closing in. Didn't get much sleep that night.

Looking back at my youth I really didn't misbehave. Sure I did a few things I would not want my children to do, but I never was dumb enough to do something I couldn't undo, nor was I malicious.

Actually I spent most of my off time as a teen playing RPGs such as D&D, and fighting in padded weapons groups. Great way to blow off steam without getting in trouble.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
Glad someone else reads Patrick O'Brian.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
...have a couple of big margaritas and then go back to work. No heavy machinery was operated during that time. Just big mainframe computers. My exciting late night escapades ended when that bank closed.
Did the bank close because drunk mainframe operators make too many late night file transfer mistakes???

Cap'n, Thanks for starting (& getting me off the hook!) Guess I'll just start a different thread for what I would have started here.

Let's see, where to begin?
-- Hanging a pirate flag from the top of the college radio station broadcast tower, twice. Probably 17 or so stories up, no safety equipment, no lights.
-- Exploring & then 'escaping' on foot onto the interstate (well the one lane was closed for reconstruction), but we needed to cross traffic at some point to get off the road. This was with the same guy as in #1.
--various minor incidents with various PD depts, though, I swear I wasn't doing anything wrong, as proved by all times I was allowed to go about my business, w/o even being asked to show ID. Some involved guns; their guns.
-- various things with some HS buddies that might have had an illegal element to them, so no details shared (even though statue of limitation should have long since expired).

The best story I know though involves a guy my Dad went to college with. After college, he got the right job & became quite successful; moved into a very nice neighborhood. One day there is a knock at the door; as a 'neighborly courtesy' there are a couple of State Troopers standing outside; returning his precious little angels. It seems the kids let the air out of the neighbor's car tires.

Oh yeah, the neighbor lived in Drumthwacket. Silly, silly boys not thinking there'd be some security there!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM

Dammit- I spent ages writing about my yoof-ful escapades, and then accidently deleted it.

Will re-write later.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=Spiderman;15871362]Did the bank close because drunk mainframe operators make too many late night file transfer mistakes???

Damn it you found me out. I am the number one cause of the downfall of a smallish family owned bank who wanted the money that a buy out from a big name bank could bring. It is ALL MY FAULT. MWAHAHAHAHA! *insert evil cackle*

On the plumbing note Mr. Jynxster says "I checked for leaking on the fill tube, tank
inlet and valve last night ... if it's between the tank and seat it would
have to be internal because I didn't notice water on the outside but if the
tank was leaking then we would hear it fill every now and then, which I
haven't noticed."

I have a sometime between 8-12 appointment for the plumbing peeps tomorrow. I shall have to work from home for at least part of the day. Oh darn. It it going to be quite horrible, I dont know how ever I shall manage. Mr. Jynxster will be joining me in working from home on his Birfday no less. I told him this is all an elaborate plot so he doesnt have to work tomorrow. Usually he takes the day off, but he just started a new job.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

N.O.L.time. YAY!!! I's hongry! Meatloaf, peas and rice. The very last of the New Year's feast leftovers.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM

I am going out to get a bite. When I come back you will know why it absolutely sucked to be my neighbors when I was a teen, yeah we were that bunch.

Spidey didn't mean to rain on your parade, hijack away, twas going to happen anyway it's the MMP

Jim
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
-- Hanging a pirate flag from the top of the college radio station broadcast tower, twice. Probably 17 or so stories up, no safety equipment, no lights.
Eh, that would have been a breeze for you.... Right, Peter Parker?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM

I was a pretty good girl although I did cut loose when I got to college. I lived in one of the first co-ed dorms on campus, how could I not cut loose? But when I was still in HS, that was another story. Except for this one time ...

Our parents had gone away for the weekend and left me in charge. Now I normally baby-sat my four younger brothers frequently, but this was the first time I'd ever been in charge for overnight and longer. I don't know what got in to me, but I really went hog wild! *laughs* I invited kids into the house, and there were couples necking in the attic. My brothers were , for the most part, not going to tell on me, but things got out of hand, and one of my brothers threatened to tell. He held that over my head for -years- I tell you - and finally I just told him, "Go ahead, I don't care" which I didn't because I was in college by then and pretty much doing my own thing. My parents about blew their gaskets, though, you'd have thought it had happened the other day! LOL "Tarragon, did you really do that?!" they gasped in shock and horror! But there was little they could do other than be pretty angry at me, it was nearly 4 years after the fact!!!

That particular brother and I were nearly always at odds, thank goodness he's much better now. Of course, he also has two kids who have given it back to him ... in spades.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM

I have a few stories, but I will just recall a few:
My first day of college, me and my friend from back home along with her roommate decided to pull an all nighter with 3 guys. We ran all over campus in the freezing cold and didn't get back until 8 am the next day because we would have gotten in huge trouble trying to check into the dorm after curfew (private religious college), hid in some giant flower pots for no reason, and I totally fell in love with this one guy we were with, we held hands and cuddled. So I gushed on and on about him to my friend's roomate the next day who proceeded to steal him from me the next week because I was too shy to go after him first. Sneaky witch

One time in high school I was over at my friend's house for what was supposed to be a birthday sleepover, and we suck out to a local pool hall and stayed out until 3 am. My mom would have never known had I not let my guilty conscience get the best of me and I confessed the whole thing. Surprisingly I didn't get in any trouble.

About a year before I had the twins I went to a concert, which got out at 9 and I promised my hubs I would be home by 10, BUT the people I drove insisted on hanging out after the concert to talk with the band (which ended up being a waste of time, only one member came out to talk to the fans and the rest hid in the tour bus), so we didn't end up leaving until closer to 12am. My phone had died so I could call him to let him know I was OK and why I was out so late, so he was a bit upset with me to say the least.

Also, last year me and the hubs got in a big yelling match, this was about 9 pm, and he left the home for a drive to cool off. He didn't tell me where he was going and he didn't bring his phone, so I stayed up for 3 hours waiting on him to get back home sitting on the front porch with a blanket. I actually enjoyed the peace and quiet, but felt a little bit like a hobo for falling asleep on the ground....
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM

I got into all my best trouble at night!

In lesser news, it's my first day back at work since December 21st. I tell ya kiddies, work for a school district and get more paid time off than you know what to do with!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM

When I'd have friends over for a birthday sleepover (probably 9 or 10) we'd sneak out, buy cigarettes, toilet paper and eggs and go visit the homes of teachers or classmates. Upon reflection, terrible behavior but we thought ti was great at the time. I still remember so well walking the streets for miles at night. We never did any real damage and always had to clean up the mess whenever we got caught, not to mention being grounded for a couple of weeks.

I learned to drive by sneaking out my grandmom's 1966 Impala after she went to bed whenever I'd visit her home in rural Ft. Worth. Vivid memories there too. That later turned out to be my first car, where I lost my virginity, installed my first 8 track, learned how to take a motor apart and reassemble, etc. I'd push that car down a sandy driveway to the street and remember trying to be so quiet in starting it and slowly driving away. When you got back, reverse the process.

Last edited by lieu; 01-07-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM

Oh I forgot about prom night! While my bf and I at the time didn't have intercourse, we did go just about as far as you can without going "all the way" prom night at a friend's house and lost track of time, and they almost didn't let us in to after prom because we took "too long" going from prom to change clothes for after prom. They had a time limit and if anyone tried to get in after the appointed time they wouldn't let you in, I guess fearing you had gotten drunk or something before coming to after prom. Stupid high school rules.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
I am going out to get a bite. When I come back you will know why it absolutely sucked to be my neighbors when I was a teen, yeah we were that bunch.
Did yours involve weekly explosions? And for me that wasn't my teen years, it was like 2nd grade. How I still have most of my body parts I'll never know. Lucky for me back then we lived on a farm and the nearest neighbor was a half-mile. And related. And blowing sh-stuff up with us. But other than that -------------
Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Here we go, a little background I moved in with my Dad when I was 16, he and my Stepmom weren't exactly A+ parent material, we ran all over them. I have a Stepbrother who is 11 months younger and even back when I would come to visit we had already perfected the art of sneaking out, with the car. First time was the Ram Charger I was 12 he was 11, I turned the wheel he did the pedals. This is all in semi suburban Houston. I was the thinker bro was the doer. It generally went like this...

First I pick the lock on my parents bedroom(they weren't dumb) 30 minutes after they went to bed.

Lil bro crawls in gets keys and cash from mom's purse, crawls out, I relock door in case they get up at night and check it. I got smart and made my own key later.

Go upstairs and out my bedroom window, across breakfast room roof and down the electric service pole.

Get in moms car carefully noting seat position as she is short and push down driveway to a house down or so, open hood replace coil wire( could never figure out where they hid it, I just bought one)

And we're off, doughnuts on the golf course, girls, drugs, girls, jumping RR tracks etc

Before you go home use cash to refill gas used and wash car, you must be home by 4:15 Dad wakes at 4:30. Turn car off to coast into driveway and reverse the process

They knew but we only got caught once, came home at 5, so we really caught ourselves

I have some stuff to do will post another in a bit

Jim
Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 PM

I never snuck out exactly- I grew up in a small village (one could hang around the village bus stop if one so desired, but that was it), driving laws is strict here, and I didn't get a license 'til I was nearly 18, but I was occasionally somewhat *ahem* misleading as to my evening's plans.

My parents were actually aware that I frequented night clubs at the age of 16 (I looked 18, which is the boozin' age here); indeed, I used to go to a local rock club with my older bro (I still think that was a sneaky idea of Mum's- I was restricted to two drinks, and he was on water all night, 'cos he wasn't having a drunk lil' sister hanging round, and I wasn't getting driven home by a boozed up driver), as the club in question was very friendly -the nicest bunch of old bikers kept an eye on everyone- and most people were just there to dance to music and have a few drinks, not to get drunk or fight; I think I saw one minor fight there in 5 years.
I guess they figured that letting me go there (especially with my brother) was safer than hanging round drinking naaasty cheap crap in the park, and there was no real way to stop me gettin' at booze short of locking me in the cellar, as I looked old enough to buy it. Especially as we didn't have a cellar.

However, the plan sort of stopped working once the bro left for uni. I used to go 'stay' with a friend (my current housemate as it happens) who lived in Lancaster, the local town (city on a technicality- the place is tiny). Occasionally we did still go to the local approved nightclub, but fairly often, we'd both get the train to Manchester (over 60 miles away) and go to a rock club that shut at 6am- though the bar closed at 2 as the law required- before getting the first train home again or staying and doing some hungover shopping.

On one particularly stupid occasion, we went to Liverpool (feel free to check Epic Night Out distances on a map) to try a new club, but by midnight we decided it was a bit dull, and started wondering what we'd do when it booted us out at 2am- as we'd missed the last train home, and had no money for a hotel- we left, got a train to Manchester (with neither ticket nor money for same, the train was so full of drunks no-one even thought of trying to enforce ticket rules), walked all the way across the city centre at 1am to get to the favourite place before it stopped allowing people in at 2, and stayed there til the trains started up. Not the best plan for two slightly drunk 17 year old girls really...
Neither of us ever got murdered though, so that's OK.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VunderBob View Post
I got out of the house a couple of times, but did nothing more than go for a walk because I couldn't sleep.

Whenever we went TPing, it was a social event and my mother was in on it.

Oh, lest I forget, blurf.
TPing sounds like a Vulcan name - You know, Like T'Pau or T'Pol.

StG
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
I never snuck out exactly- I grew up in a small village (one could hang around the village bus stop if one so desired, but that was it), driving laws is strict here, and I didn't get a license 'til I was nearly 18, but I was occasionally somewhat *ahem* misleading as to my evening's plans.

My parents were actually aware that I frequented night clubs at the age of 16 (I looked 18, which is the boozin' age here); indeed, I used to go to a local rock club with my older bro (I still think that was a sneaky idea of Mum's- I was restricted to two drinks, and he was on water all night, 'cos he wasn't having a drunk lil' sister hanging round, and I wasn't getting driven home by a boozed up driver), as the club in question was very friendly -the nicest bunch of old bikers kept an eye on everyone- and most people were just there to dance to music and have a few drinks, not to get drunk or fight; I think I saw one minor fight there in 5 years.
I guess they figured that letting me go there (especially with my brother) was safer than hanging round drinking naaasty cheap crap in the park, and there was no real way to stop me gettin' at booze short of locking me in the cellar, as I looked old enough to buy it. Especially as we didn't have a cellar.

However, the plan sort of stopped working once the bro left for uni. I used to go 'stay' with a friend (my current housemate as it happens) who lived in Lancaster, the local town (city on a technicality- the place is tiny). Occasionally we did still go to the local approved nightclub, but fairly often, we'd both get the train to Manchester (over 60 miles away) and go to a rock club that shut at 6am- though the bar closed at 2 as the law required- before getting the first train home again or staying and doing some hungover shopping.

On one particularly stupid occasion, we went to Liverpool (feel free to check Epic Night Out distances on a map) to try a new club, but by midnight we decided it was a bit dull, and started wondering what we'd do when it booted us out at 2am- as we'd missed the last train home, and had no money for a hotel- we left, got a train to Manchester (with neither ticket nor money for same, the train was so full of drunks no-one even thought of trying to enforce ticket rules), walked all the way across the city centre at 1am to get to the favourite place before it stopped allowing people in at 2, and stayed there til the trains started up. Not the best plan for two slightly drunk 17 year old girls really...
Neither of us ever got murdered though, so that's OK.
Wow Fil, you sound like a ton of fun!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
TPing sounds like a Vulcan name - You know, Like T'Pau or T'Pol.

StG
It is a very logical prank to pull.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Afternoon!

I was a good kid or at least I was as far as my parent knew

Monday is almost over with. This week is goign to be a struggle - the first 5 dayer in the office since Thanksgiving due to work travel etc.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
StG
Holy smokes, , I bought some StGermain liquor recently and wondered if any dopers might know something about it. It just hit me, is that where your name comes from? I added it to champagne over Christmas, New Years, yesterday, etc.

Last edited by lieu; 01-07-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone Special View Post
Yeah, what's up with that? They always know what time it is.

Back in high school, I was on the State/AV crew. The older guys were all avid rock climbers and after we were done on any given evening setting up lights or cabling for a show, after everybody else left the school we'd go climbing all over the building. The outside of it. No equipment, of course.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM

[too blurfy to read everything]

But - while living at home, the worst I did was stay out way past curfew, but having called the 'rents to tell them I was staying out, it was okay - and they knew, liked, and trusted the guy I was with. At college, I've pulled all nighters studying and other all nighters partying - My buds and I had befriended the owner/bartender and bouncer and a small out-of-the-way pub, so we often stayed til closing, drank some more without being charged (because he couldn't sell at that hour) then went to breakfast with the guys, getting back to the dorm at around 8am. I had learned quickly during freshman year to never again schedule any classes before 11:am
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Howdy from da cave! No cookin' tonight as OYKW has a hankerin' to swipe the General's dindin. Thus, the chikin pot pie will be tomorrow's dindin. Works for me!

Nuts you bad girl!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 PM

I am going to have to accept that I was the worst Mumper kid, so I will make a quick list

Did $120,000 worth of damage to the house and furnishings by lighting it on fire, accidental electrical, thats 1987 dollars

Threw many wild parties at said house, lots of naked people in the pool kinda parties, while my parents were out for the evening

Band practice that is what the living room is for, unannounced people would just show with gear and we would drink all the beer when my parents left to get away from the noise

I had a 1970 Ford econoline van that someone had decorated inside in four color shag carpet, a queen sized bed and mirrors. It had no muffler just two pieces of oilfield pipe attached to the exhaust manifold that were bent to outlet in front of the back tires. So loud I had to make a deal with the neighbors and "officer Joe" to shut it off at the end of our street, drift to the house after 10pm. IIRC "officer Joe" was a County Constable and yes he knew us well, the band wrote a song about him. We played it for him as he was vainly banging on the door. Actually a very nice guy took my brother to jail a bunch, me never.

Muratic Acid, Aluminum Foil and two liter coke bottles = big boom, got to talk to a Postal Inspector and HPD about that. Taught some friends and they blew up a bricked in mail box, apparently blew bricks a hundred feet or so, little rats. Didn't go to jail for that either.

I was a horrible kid, I promise I am much nicer now

I will stop now as I have paid for my sins

Jim
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Hey mumpers, my mom is in the hospital with pneumonia and possible heart complications in addition to her liver failure. Prayers and the like would be most welcome, thanks guys in advance.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorland reiver View Post
Prayers and the like would be most welcome, thanks guys in advance.
Good lord. My wishes for a speedy recovery, for what they are worth.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM

{{{{{{{wikimom}}}}}} Healing vibes on their way WNW
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM

Hmm, late-night stories...

When I was a kid, and even a teen, I was good. When I was 20, I started drinking.

Yes, I have stayed out all night drinking.