SDMB Auction Fantasy Football 2013

Last year’s thread

Current draft date is the same relative date as last year, Thursday August 29 at 9pm eastern. If that’s a problem, speak up now.

Rules will start as being the same as last year but the floor is open to suggestions. Leftover auction dollars left to FAAB. Commissioner approval of trading along with clearly stated trade intentions being retroactively fixed on game day, Sunday through Tuesday waiver system… see last year’s thread’s OP for more info on these.

Jules will not be rejoining this year unless he changes his mind soon, so we’ll be recruiting at least 1 slot. Post if you’re interested. Players with an established FF history on the boards get preference, but newcomers will be considered. We ran last year 10 handed due to cancellations so most likely we’ll need 3 replacements.

Starting with the same rules
Our historical standings:
2007:

1. Omniscient
  2. Boozahol Squid, PI
  3. LOUNE
  4. SenorBeef
  5. VarlosZ
  6. Chuck (from off board - the roomate)
  7. Ellis Dee
  8. Kiros

2008:

1. Hamlet
  2. It’s Not Rocket Surgery
  3. Mike (the random dude in our mock draft on ESPN who became part of our league)
  4. SenorBeef
  5. Kiros
  6. Boozahol Squid, PI
  7. Spiritus Mundi
  8. Ellis Dee
  9. Chuck
  10. VarlosZ
  11. Omniscient
  12. RNATB

2009:

1. Exploding Pancakes (SenorBeef)
  2. New York Fanboys (Ellis Dee)
  3. The One Man League (It’s Not Rocket Surgery)
  4. Orlando Rage (RNATB)
  5. Quentin’s Jammers (Jules Andre)
  6. Overly Sentimental (Chuck)
  7. Show me your TDs (Mike)
  8. Varlos’ Zzzzzz (VarlosZ)
  9. Last Place (Kiros)
  10. The Jackson 4 (Hamlet)
  11. Chicago Cutlery (Omniscient)
  12. Cobra Kai (Boozahol Squid, PI)

2010:

1. New New York Benders (It’s Not Rocket Surgery!)
  2. Quentin’s JAMmers (Jules Andre)
  3. Exploding Pancakes (SenorBeef)
  4. Varlos’ Zzzzzzz (VarlosZ)
  5. Overly Sentimental (Chuck)
  6. New York Fanboys (Ellis Dee)
  7. Chicago Cutlery (Omniscient)
  8. Show me your TD’s (Mike)
  9. Crowley’s Bentley (Hamlet)
  10. Phoenix Redbirds (dalej42)

2011:

1. Exploding Pancakes (SenorBeef)
  2. Duke’s Devils (MTRG)
  3. Overly Sentimental (Chuck - off board)
  4. Crowley’s Bentley (Hamlet)
  5. HungryHungryHaruspex (Jules Andre)
  6. Court Jesters (d_odds)
  7. New New York Benders (It’s Not Rocket Surgery!)
  8. Chicago Cutlery (Omniscient)
  9. Phoenix Redbirds (dalej42)
  10. New York Fanboys (Ellis Dee)
  11. Varlos’ Zzzzzzz (VarlosZ)
  12. Team Dragon Ash (DragonAsh)
    [/QUOTE]

2012:

1. HungryHungryHaruspex (Jules Andre)
  2. Court Jesters (d_odds)
  3. Chicago Cutlery (Omniscient)
  4. New New York Benders (It’s Not Rocket Surgery!)
  5. Varlos’ Zzzzzzz (VarlosZ)
  6. Duke’s Devils (MTRG)
  7. Phoenix Redbirds (dalej42)
  8. Exploding Pancakes (SenorBeef)
  9. Crowley’s Bentley (Hamlet)
  10. Overly Sentimental (Chuck - off board)

Damn, I’m not going to be able to rejoin this year. I work Sunday-Thursday, from 330 PM-Midnight Chicago time and my work is going to be short staffed with a person leaving on a 3 week trip that last week of August. There’s just no way I can sneak out for a draft, and Yahoo Fantasy is blocked at work.

We do need to recruit 2 more people to get up to 12. I’m going to start with people who’ve been in this league before. Does anyone have any roster/rules/scoring proposals we need to think about?

We ran 10 handed last year, and we can do it again this year if need be. Recruitment is a lot harder this year than in years past for some reason. So I won’t sign up anyone new unless we get a pair, since we can’t draft with 11. I’m prioritizing the big league (and you’re all welcome to join there) because it needs the people to function. This league works ok with 10 people. But if you’re interested in this league, or anyone in the league has a friend who you think will be good for the league, speak up.

Signed up. sigh I am going to be so bad at fantasy football this year.

I’ll work on finding a 12th, but in the event that we can’t, I’ll need to boot you pre-draft because we can’t draft with 11.

Does anyone have an off-board friend who’d make the draft and be a good player?

Alright, I have a mumble server for voice chat which makes the draft a little more interesting. Preferably you have a microphone and can talk, but even if not, you can listen in on the discussion. It’s free and easy to set up. You can download it here.

There’s one stupid glitch sometimes when a first person logs into a server - they might be deafened (can’t hear others talk) - this is easily fixed by just tapping the push to talk button you set during the setup wizard. Even if you don’t have a mic, just set a button to that and then tap it once and it’ll work.

Anyway, run the setup wizard, create a new server, and enter this. Remove the slashes from the server name, I’m just putting those in to throw off bots. Go to the server menu and click add new. Name it SDMB or whatever you want - the label is just for reference.

Hostname:
silverbolt.bluefang//solutions.com

Port 32768

User name - whatever your name here is.

Anyway, we can still use text chat during the draft but I find it fun to be able to talk more naturally with other people as the draft goes down. It’ll only take a minute to set up.

With the added bonus of having me breathe heavily into the mike because I didn’t turn on the “push to talk” feature. What more do you want?

I considered enticing people who didn’t have a mic to hop on anyone to hear “Hamlet-is-a-dick radio”

While I’ll be at the draft, I won’t be listening in (and will be working in between picks). Besides, I don’t want anyone berating all my picks. You will all regret it when I take Tampa DEF in the first round!

I’m going to give a few more hours for a final sign up, but if no one is interested, I’m going to have to boot RNATB to get us down to 10 teams and lock it down. Although if anyone is going to miss the draft, say so now and I’ll boot you instead - for auction drafts I expect 100% attendance.

I have a redraft at the same time, but it’s a league I don’t much care about, so my attention will be on the auction. And on making sure I catch the “Senor Beef’s rantalicious show”.

Huh, I failed to mention that I recruited Cobra Kai (formerly Boozahol Squid, PI, in our league the first 2 years) to replace Dale a while ago.

But I couldn’t find a 12th, so I’m going to have to remove RNATB and lock the draft at 10.

If you can’t make the draft, mention it now, and I can get RNATB in there to replace you. Missing an auction draft is unacceptable. We draft in like 22 hours.

Oh, and install and set up mumble now, so we don’t all scramble to figure it out in the last 5 minutes. If you can’t get it working for PC for some reason, there are android and iOS clients too.

I will be there, though once again I won’t be available on voice.

FWIW my iPhone App says the draft is 9/3, not sure if it matters but just thought I’d mention it.

I have 9/3 as the SDMB Big League draft.

Set up mumble. Connect to the chat room isn’t available. Did I fuck up or will the chat room open closer to the draft?

Well, shit, you broke it. No, it’s not functional at the moment. Weird. I filed a ticket.

Beef hasn’t posted for half an hour. I may have broken him too.