US Capitol Locked Down - Shots Fired

Just got a call from a co-worker - there’s been shots fired at the Capitol.

News brief: Capitol Hill shots fired: Capitol Police: Suspect killed after car chase - POLITICO

Shooter in custody?

https://twitter.com/peteschroeder/status/385834173107564544

More:

This will not bode well for the Tea Party, regardless of the shooter’s political affiliation.

NBC is currently reporting that this started when someone tried to breach the White House.

BBC is covering it and showing live pictures. They’re saying one officer injured, but there’s no word about anyone in custody.

BBC is reporting the lockdown is over, there may have been one arrest, and there appear to be “several injuries.”

CNN has live video of a damaged police vehicle involved in incident.

NBC News reports incident began when someone tried to crash the White House gates.

BBC is on the phone with someone in a building in Washington who can see the scene out her window. She says that police car has been banged up, with the air bag deployed. Says it seems to be the center of attention by the police.

EDIT: Yes, I’m seeing the police car now. Looks fucked up.

Just assume half of what we’re hearing right now is wrong and wait until there are more concrete details.

ABC News reported that a woman was killed… tweeted out around 12 pm. Apparently the car was trying to breach the White House gate.

All clear on Penna Ave., so suspect may have been “neutralized.” Driver was headed to Capitol, a Secret Service car was wrecked in pursuit. Sheesh.

Why is this?

Am reading various posts on Facebook where local news outlets have posted the breaking news. I am appaulled at the number of FB posts to these news stories calling for violence against the president and Congress.

They’re the ones associated with the “2nd Amendment solution.” Some nut with a gun trying to do…something to the President or Congress is going to rather graphically illustrate their disconnect with reality.

But not to worry. I’m betting Alex Jones is already calling it a false flag op to discredit True Americans.

If you put aside the usual SDMB logic and debate for a minute, I expect ordinary people to start chaining this story to guns in general, gun nuts, conservative, hatred of government all the way to Tea Party. I’m already seeing it on Facebook posts.

Also, and this is pure speculation, but I have a hunch this woman is upset about the shutdown (maybe out of work because of it) and the Tea Party is the group that’s keeping us shut down. So between that and the gun stuff, I can see this hurting their cause.

People are mad as hell. it’s inevitable that this would happen, sadly.

Google isn’t returning anything recent for capitol hill shots fired on site:prisonplanet.com yet. Give it time.

I just watched footage of a cop on a stretcher being loaded onto a helicopter by paramedics, so that part is true, about a policeman injured.

He must be at lunch. :stuck_out_tongue: